Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Hey Stevie, don't be lowering the tone with cucumber mate......

Water cress sarnies and tea in fine bone china cups only on this thread..... :wicked:

Maybe we need James Trouble back on here to liven things up after his lively weekend in Essex LOL....

Ian D :wub:

James Trouble drinks Ty-phoo.

Social source share

Hey Stevie, don't be lowering the tone with cucumber mate......

Water cress sarnies and tea in fine bone china cups only on this thread..... :wicked:

Maybe we need James Trouble back on here to liven things up after his lively weekend in Essex LOL....

Ian D :wub:

Out of a mug.

Social source share

Yep, that's what I just paid too :wicked:

Same here Steve I just paid the same I also ordered a new dvd copy of swons to replace my vhs copy, the dvd copy is only £26 on Amazon, looking forward to watching it, especially my faves which are Bobby Hebb "you want to change me", The Gems "I'll be there", Jay & The Techniques "Are you ready for this" and Little Ann "Who are you trying fool".

Regards

Alan

Social source share

repeated posts etc its getting close to spam

But it's the Ian Levine thread, and the people reading it are clearly interested.

Sad to read this, Mike. Very sad. Out of respect to you, I refrained from speaking my mind to certain people.

Social source share

Ian

a pop question for you.

Do you know who Mickey Moonshine was? Some say Chris Rainbow, others say Paul Nicholas. Wondered if you knew with your connections?

I did know, but now I can't remember.

It'll come to me, but certainly neither of the ones you mention.

Social source share

looking forward to watching it, especially my faves which are Bobby Hebb "you want to change me", The Gems "I'll be there", Jay & The Techniques "Are you ready for this" and Little Ann "Who are you trying fool".

All of which are indeed on the new set.

Social source share

this is getting soft

I hope you wouldn't rather have the arguments ??

Over the last two pages there has been tons of correspondence about the new videos, about various artists, and about Northern Soul.

Plus it has been civil and pleasant.

Why start problems when there are none ??

I am slightly worried by this. I have spent a lot of time on here and typed some very lengthy reminiscences, and I will play by the rules as long as I don't feel censored, and certainly not castrated, Mike.

I hope you didn't only enjoy this thread when it was a torrent of abuse being hurled in my direction, and now that it's settled down, I hope it's not the case that you simply don't like what you see happening, or even resent it.

You are making me undeservedly nervous. And reminding me of why I felt trepidation in coming back here to start with. But this is just unnecessary, surely ???

Social source share

the balance of off topic posts is increasing

the repeated same video posts are not needed

as said this thread is the same as any other

if its active and worthwhile then there's no problems

however if its active and all the members get when click on it is some off topic chat or repeated posts

then same as any other thread it does start becoming a problem

its a question of balance

Social source share

the balance of off topic posts is increasing

Apart from the odd mention of Doomsday Machines, all my posts have been on topic.

And when I titled the first thread, it was to encompass all aspects of my career, so none of that would be deemed to be off topic, and as you requested, I stopped posting immediately in the thread about the film, as I was attracting questions in there about my career, so we brought it all into here, where anyone not interested need not be confronted with it at all.

Social source share

Going back to the "Northern Soul 2008" album, this is the bonus track from Shenton Dixon, doing his version of the Four Vandals song, "Bigger And Better", which is as classic Northern Soul as you can get, in style if not in age.

The original Four Vandals version was on Northern Soul 2004", which has been long deleted, but if anyone is interested, you can still get from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-2004...0880&sr=1-2

">
Social source share

Apart from the odd mention of Doomsday Machines, all my posts have been on topic.

And when I titled the first thread, it was to encompass all aspects of my career, so none of that would be deemed to be off topic, and as you requested, I stopped posting immediately in the thread about the film, as I was attracting questions in there about my career, so we brought it all into here, where anyone not interested need not be confronted with it at all.

yep most of yours have

but other members haven't been and that was why i posted ref off topic posts

if any thread does start going down the road of offtopic, in jokes, one liners etc etc

then mods if feel needed will post up a shout or what ever

aim is to keep forums enjoyable and worthwhile

Social source share

aim is to keep forums enjoyable and worthwhile

Which this thread most certainly is, as long as the trolls steer away from it.

Please remember we are about to launch a visual set of 200 performances of all the artists your members love, or at least claim to love, and if that's not on topic, then nothing else could be either.

Social source share

I thought it was excellent trailer. I can imagine that selling lots and lots and lots. As an ad it has just the right amount of balance of 'tell me' versus 'show me', and I felt myself being torn between not wanting a particular clip to end with an urge to see the next one. Great stuff.

I was very glad to read this, as it showed me that my instincts may have been right after all. The point of a trailer is to leave you wanting more, like a trailer for a movie or TV show, to give you the flavour and make you interested enough to want to see the whole thing.

Social source share

I'm seem to remember Mickie Most being mentioned at the time.

Cheers

Manus

No, if my memory serves me right, it was Pip Williams.

I knew this because in 1976 I was writing songs with him, for James Wells and for Doris Jones, and he had a great voice and he told me he'd sang on the Mickey Moonshine record. I'm pretty sure that's who it was now I think back.

Social source share

I knew this because in 1976 I was writing songs with him, for James Wells and for Doris Jones, and he had a great voice and he told me he'd sang on the Mickey Moonshine record. I'm pretty sure that's who it was now I think back.

Yes that sounds a lot more likely - wonder why Mickie Most was being quoted ? strange old world.

Thanks

Manus

Social source share

Yes that sounds a lot more likely - wonder why Mickie Most was being quoted ? strange old world.

Thanks

Manus

If you have a copy on seven inch Decca, could you possibly check and see if Pip Williams either wrote it or produced it, please ???

Social source share

I spoke to someone the other day who knows Pip quite well. I think he's working as a lecturer at some Music College somewhere near where he lives.....

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

I spoke to someone the other day who knows Pip quite well. I think he's working as a lecturer at some Music College somewhere near where he lives.....

He was the most brilliant soul arranger.

Unfortunately he was also the producer for Mud, and I couldn't quite marry the two. As a guitar player he was exceptional, and I remember when we wrote "No Way Out", he worked out the chords on his guitar, and it sounded amazing, almost like Curtis Mayfield in style when he played it.

Hard to take in the fact that this was thirty two years ago, when I can picture it as if it happened yesterday.

Social source share

re mckey moonshine,

just checked my decca 45 credits are

(moonshine) writer

music director pip williams

produced by mickey moonshine

miracle songs

decca records 1974

Yes it does seem likely that it was Pip Williams.

Social source share

He was the most brilliant soul arranger.

Unfortunately he was also the producer for Mud, and I couldn't quite marry the two. As a guitar player he was exceptional, and I remember when we wrote "No Way Out", he worked out the chords on his guitar, and it sounded amazing, almost like Curtis Mayfield in style when he played it.

Hard to take in the fact that this was thirty two years ago, when I can picture it as if it happened yesterday.

Yep, he was a fantastic arranger. I think he did Jigsaw's "Sky High" if my memory serves me properly and was really active in the early 70's. He did lots of UK proto disco stuff at around the same time as "Name It You Got It" (funny that this is also the top thread in the Record section).

And did you ever hear Pip's arrangement on Mud's Disco track "Shake It Down"? Phenomenal. Even made Les sound good!

Social source share

Yep, he was a fantastic arranger. I think he did Jigsaw's "Sky High" if my memory serves me properly and was really active in the early 70's.

You do realise that my co-producer Clive Scott was in Jigsaw, and co-wrote "Sky High", don't you ???

But Pip Williams wasn't the arranger. It was Richard Hewson, who also scored the strings for our Ebony Alleyne album, and who had big Disco hits in the 1970s with both the Richard Hewson Orchestra, and the RAH Band (his own initials).

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

You do realise that my co-producer Clive Scott was in Jigsaw, and co-wrote "Sky High", don't you ???

But Pip Williams wasn't the arranger. It was Richard Hewson, who also scored the strings for our Ebony Alleyne album, and who had big Disco hits in the 1970s with both the Richard Hewson Orchestra, and the RAH Band (his own initials).

I stand corrected! Always got Pip Williams and Richard Hewson mixed up as they were around at the same time. There was a period in the early 70's where I'd automaticaly buy almost anything with either of their names on it........

Social source share

RAH Band as in 'The Crunch' record?

P :wicked:

Social source share

If you have a copy on seven inch Decca, could you possibly check and see if Pip Williams either wrote it or produced it, please ???

I don't have it Ian it wasn't really my cup of tea although I could understand it's popularity. Leev's credit details seem to have confirmed it for you.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Hello,

I doubt Pip Williams was "Mickey Moonshine". I've never heard Pip sing (...does he actually sing?) but the speaking voice is very different. Ian is more likely to know if Pip could have sang like that in 1974.

I reckon it was just a wild guess because Pip arranged or produced "Name It You Got It". And then it became another northern soul myth.

:wicked:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

I doubt Pip Williams was "Mickey Moonshine". I've never heard Pip sing (...does he actually sing?) but the speaking voice is very different. Ian is more likely to know if Pip could have sang like that in 1974.

I reckon it was just a wild guess because Pip arranged or produced "Name It You Got It". And then it became another northern soul myth.

:wicked:

Paul Mooney

Thanks Ian and Paul for your responses. So at this point we still don't know for sure it sounds?

Social source share

These are nothing but myths.

Mickey Moonshine doesn't sound like Chris Rainbow to me.

And I already said on Ian Levine's thread that it isn't very likely to be Pip Williams the arranger.

Does anyone actually have an idea that isn't just a wild guess???

I'm waiting for someone to suggest "Mickey Moonshine" was Sir Cliff Richard or Sir Gary Glitter or Sir Donny Osmond.

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

Hello,

I posted the above on the other thread about "Mickey Moonshine". He's very topical at the moment.

I have my own ideas about who he is.

He's Mickey Moonshine, that's who he is.

It's a great name.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

If you now go to the Amazon listing for the box set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Souls-Gre...2972&sr=8-1

it lists the whole box set as their official number one soul DVD, ahead of Stevie Wonder and Christine Aguilera.

That's a fantastic achievement considering it's not out yet for six weeks.

Then again, if pre-ordering it right now saves everyone nearly nine pounds from them waiting till it's actually released, then it makes sense to save the money.

Social source share

Very interesting to see that my YouTube page, which if you look right now, this morning, will still display the information, is the 8th most watched YouTube music page in the world, for the current day, since I put up all those new Northern Soul videos on Monday night. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/ianlevine

It's actually gone up to number 5 now.

Not a bad day all round.

Social source share

It's f*cking Chris Rainbow, I wish you lot would listen to me, I've won "The Mount" pop quiz two months on the trot now, singlehandedly against teams of up to eight people so you should believe me, not some record producer

Who's Chris Rainbow ???

If I can obtain a number for Pip Williams I will ask him myself. After all, I wrote songs with the man.

Social source share

A singer-songwriter popular in the mid 70's, had a minor hit with "Give me what I cry for"

I was too busy discovering Northern Soul records in the mid 70s to listen to pop singers. biggrin.gif

Social source share

A singer-songwriter popular in the mid 70's, had a minor hit with "Give me what I cry for"
Hello Pete Smith,

Can you explain why you think Chris Rainbow (Harley) was "Mickey Moonshine"?

Paul Mooney

Social source share