Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

First comment of that ilk came from IL Mark, in reply to Dave Rimmer

Reminds me of Hitler Youth a bit.

I realised that Steve - which is why I'm asking everybody to 'get a grip' mate - no winners/sides being taken here, I'm 100% agenda-less but if this thread carries on this way, we'll all be losers cos ''the joke ain't funny any more'' and it's a sad day for all of us if this (now) vile thread is allowed to continue much longer cos I can only see it going one way...

d

o

w

n

Laughed out loud at a few comments thrown in by various contributors since the start of all of this but stopped laughing today when I read some of the posts from this morning...two words 'human' and 'decency' - now seemingly forgotten in this (hah!) 'debate'....maybe I'm a softie, maybe not, but I've no stomach for this anymore - what's the word I'm searching for? Ah yes - it's all so "pointless"........

MRez

Your not a softy Mark. I think what was an interesting and, yes, contentious thread has been poisoned. There is nothing wrong with debate - even people having the odd falling out - but this thread has gone beyond that. I'm also a neutral player in this - and I cannot, for one minute, understand the continuous, adolescent, personal attacks that have been poisonous (and tedious) to say the least.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

After reading some of the utter dire bilge that I have had to subject myself to today, on this extremely wearying thread, can you now see for yourself the answer to question number one ????

I don't get this - because you have a few people that are vitriolic on this thread you can't go to venues? Sorry Ian I don't buy that either, you stopped going a few years ago. As you say you hate the scene (but love the music). I wouldn't let a few vitriols prevent me from going anywhere I wanted.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Even if there was a promotor driven campaign against the Rocket as you say happened, for it to have been succesful that means that the London soul scene are basically sheep that do as they are told. You are not saying that now are you?

I take the fifth.

Social source share

Dictatorships are familiar ALL over the world. I was referring to Dictatorships as a generic not a specific thing. Sorry if you associated the words German and Dictatorship........not meant.

Dress it up however you wish (with hindsight) Paul - it remains a completely unnecessary response to somebody who just didn't deserve it...

Can you not see that? I believe you owe Benji an apology...

MRez

Social source share

I wouldn't let a few vitriols prevent me from going anywhere I wanted.

Well said Steve, this is exactly what i was saying to Jayne in her response to not going to Soul Rev on the strength of this thread.

And that's exactly what it is a thread, it's not real life, this would never shape my real life, i'd gladly have a beer with anyone on this thread.

It's debate & that's all fine 'n' dandy it only goes pear shaped when as Mark Res has stated it gets racist or homophobic.

Simon

Social source share

I know Ady, and it's years ago and is not important and I wasn't even there - but I'm just stating the fact that there was a very nasty website set up, as nasty as Neil Rushton setting one up just to slag me off when I criticised ANS :rolleyes: (hello Neil :lol: )

Hi Pete - looking forward to receiving the EP.

Re the comments above - I find it hard enough to send an e-mail so setting up a web site is not something I could do in a million years..

The web site you are on was set up to promote and sell the oriignal release of The Strange World Of Northen Soul, not to slag you off, and nothing to do with ANS .

What I do remember is that you cirticised SWONS as it was about to be released (?) and I had a go back at your comments in an artlcle but I cannot remember where the article was published, maybe on our web site only?

Looking back it all seems a bit silly.

Neil

Social source share

Hi Pete - looking forward to receiving the EP.

Re the comments above - I find it hard enough to send an e-mail so setting up a web site is not something I could do in a million years..

The web site you are on was set up to promote and sell the oriignal release of The Strange World Of Northen Soul, not to slag you off, and nothing to do with ANS .

What I do remember is that you cirticised SWONS as it was about to be released (?) and I had a go back at your comments in an artlcle but I cannot remember where the article was published, maybe on our web site only?

Looking back it all seems a bit silly.

Neil

Yeah it was all a bit silly. It was on the SWONS website. Funny how I turned out to be one of SWONS biggest supporters in the end!

Social source share

It's because you are an open minded person.

Ian - a question for you ......

I worked for the Mecca organisation in the first couple of years of the 70s , at a couple of locations in Yorkshire , and the management were not welcoming of the playing of soul music by DJs ......

Bill Pye was obviously on your side at Blackpool with the HR , but did he have his battles with the higher management in the early days , stating that soul music was a viable medium ? .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Not something I could claim.

Maybe that's where you're going wrong Ian, this is a thread, out there is real life.

I'd gladly have a beer with you or anyone on this thread, infact we'd have quite a lot in common, NS, Dr Who, i also like a lot of your High Energy stuff, infact the only stuff i don't really like is the stuff i call 'NS soundalike' but we better not go there!

Simon

Social source share

I worked for the Mecca organisation in the first couple of years of the 70s , at a couple of locations in Yorkshire , and the management were not welcoming of the playing of soul music by DJs ......

Malc Burton

Yeh... but you didn't need to continue the policy thereafter, Malc!

How are you?

All good?

Sean

Social source share

Yeh... but you didn't need to continue the policy thereafter, Malc!

How are you?

All good?

Sean

I was " released " from working for Mecca , after / due to slipping in two tunes during a spot , when we ( the other DJs and I ) had previously received a written warning not to do so , and banned for working for them , as I was

" rebellious " :lol: ........

I am pretty good , looking for a position , but generally nae bad my dear friend : Lady B OK , and only one offspring - your Godson Joe - at home now ......

You and yours Well ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

I was " released " from working for Mecca , after / due to slipping in two tunes during a spot , when we ( the other DJs and I ) had previously received a written warning not to do so , and banned for working for them , as I was

" rebellious " :lol: ........

I am pretty good , looking for a position , but generally nae bad my dear friend : Lady B OK , and only one offspring - your Godson Joe - at home now ......

You and yours Well ?

Malc Burton

Ah! My dearest Godson, Joe.

Do wish him well for me (I have written him into the will).

Glad to hear of Lady B's good health.

Please give her my fondest.

My 6 are all well... and keeping me poor.

Please apologise to my Godson Joe, on my behalf.

Sean

Social source share

Ah! My dearest Godson, Joe.

Do wish him well for me (I have written him into the will).

Glad to hear of Lady B's good health.

Please give her my fondest.

My 6 are all well... and keeping me poor.

Please apologise to my Godson Joe, on my behalf.

Sean

If I show him that Sean , he will keep you to it :lol: ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

" rebellious " :rolleyes: ........

You and yours Well ?

Malc Burton

What would the motives be for not wanting Soul music played Malc?

Did they consider it too low-brow or something?

The Rubettes is OK, but not Elouise Laws?

Social source share

Are you a Hammer Simon ?

'fraid so mate, although if we get Paolo 'Il Duce' Di Canio in as boss i may have to reconsider!

Simon

Edited by Simon
Social source share

:rolleyes: Thats what being a Lazio fan did for him.

Ah Lazio, doncha just love 'em!

Who was that other lunatic they had, oh yeh, Mahailovich, what a lovely chap.

Simon :lol:

Social source share

He is Steve.

BBC Ceefax reported that Kia Joorbiciaaaaaninninnn or whatever he's called was now acting for WHU as a "transfer advisor" (read unlicensed agent ?).

Makes you wonder ? Not so long ago he was suing them and threatening to give evidence in SUFC's (admittedly sad) grievance case against them. :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Ian - a question for you ......

Bill Pye was obviously on your side at Blackpool with the HR , but did he have his battles with the higher management in the early days , stating that soul music was a viable medium ? .........

Malc Burton

Yes indeed he did, but we delivered the figures, and they ripped us off by only paying us £3 each.

Social source share

Maybe that's where you're going wrong Ian, this is a thread, out there is real life.

I'd gladly have a beer with you or anyone on this thread, infact we'd have quite a lot in common, NS, Dr Who, i also like a lot of your High Energy stuff, infact the only stuff i don't really like is the stuff i call 'NS soundalike' but we better not go there!

Simon

I wasn't thinking of you. You're still a friend on facebook and MySpace. I haven't deleted you. I was referring to others, not you.

Social source share

I wasn't thinking of you. You're still a friend on facebook and MySpace. I haven't deleted you. I was referring to others, not you.

I know Ian, i was speaking more generally about this & the real world being two completely different animals.

Most people probably yourself included would be a lot different if we were conducting this thread over a beer in the pub suffice to say it would probably be a lot calmer.

Simon

Social source share