Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Guest in town Mikey

Nick didn't put the posters up, he didn't know anything about them until they were up. He didn't take them down either,

I missed that, but you are 100% correct Ady. Nick had nothing to do with those posters going up at all.

Social source share

The internet allows cowards and self-opinionated tossers to make nuisances of themselves and harrass professionals. It happens even worse in the world of Doctor Who fandom, and there, as in here, I have no patience or tolerance threshold with it.

Perhaps you're just not cut out for forums?

Social source share

Sorry James, I cant listen to ANYTHING created by a bullying, soul- less person like Levine. Theres a morality involved and he seems to be lacking on ALL fronts (and he has a lot of fronts! :thumbup: ) A lot of them front up on here for him.

Do you listen to much Motown then? If you use your opinion of people's personality traits as a yardstick for deciding what music to listen to, then ,y I draw your attention the the fact that Mr Gordy was not exactly know for being full of the milk of human kindness.

Phil

Social source share

Whats the difference between being publicly scathing and privately ? Other than hypocrisy and a desire to hide the real you from your friends on here of course.

I assume you told him to his face what you thought because you're so principled ?

Of course.

I wouldn't have been so scathing publicly, but neither have I been praising publicly either.

Social source share

Sorry James, I cant listen to ANYTHING created by a bullying, soul- less person like Levine. Theres a morality involved and he seems to be lacking on ALL fronts (and he has a lot of fronts! :thumbup: ) A lot of them front up on here for him.

Do you listen to much Motown then? It's just that if you use your opinion of people's personality traits as a yardstick for deciding what music to listen to, then may I draw your attention the the fact that Mr Gordy was not exactly know for being full of the milk of human kindness.

Phil

Social source share

Just to get my point straight for once and all. I found and still find Ian Levine calling anybody on here fascist totally out of place and disgraceful but I didn't comment to any of these posts because they weren't addressed to me. But your post was addressed to me, hence my reply.

And now, please leave me out of your crusade or whatever your mission is. I'm neither on your side nor Ian Levines side. I'm just lurking and keeping my fingers crossed that this thread will go back to interesting stories about the days of the Mecca.

Actually, Ian, I got a question for you if you don't mind:

The other day you wrote that you started playing new releases because the 60s discoveries weren't up to your own quality standard. I understand that from the mid 70s on you played nothing but new releases. Now did it happen back then that you came across a brilliant 60s unknown you really liked but couldn't play because of your "new releases only" policy?

Social source share

Do you listen to much Motown then? If you use your opinion of people's personality traits as a yardstick for deciding what music to listen to, then ,y I draw your attention the the fact that Mr Gordy was not exactly know for being full of the milk of human kindness.

Phil

No I dont listen to much Motown.

Social source share

Your accountant? can you get a tax deduction for abusive emails? If so, I'm quids in

Phil

hello dear Phil

How are you today ??

How's Kim ??

When are we having that meal ??

What were your favourite tracks off "Northern Soul 2008" now you've played it a few times ????

Social source share

And now, please leave me out of your crusade or whatever your mission is. I'm neither on your side nor Ian Levines side. I'm just lurking and keeping my fingers crossed that this thread will go back to interesting stories about the days of the Mecca.

thats the point, you get outraged by stuff that isn't there and then want to continue talking to a threatening, abussive man like Levine. Its not a FREE DEBATE if he send threats...SO why are you keen to keep it going?

Social source share

Play it and you will be delt wiv :thumbup:

You can't go to Clacton Moggy.. Remember that thing on your leg starts beeping if you are out after 7pm... ph34r.gif ...

Sorry off topic... Just wanted to give the gladiators a moment to rest...

Soudfile for that track anyone.... Half a man.. Some music may give some folk time for reflection.... :lol:

Social source share

Phil

Well put, Phil.

May I just point out that most of the people on here are nice people and perfectly reasonable and civil.

I stress the word "MOST".

And I am determined to be civil too. While the children scream and rant in the background.

Social source share

Could you tell us after so famously declaring "Northern Soul Is Dead", why you suddenly say, its your passion and your thinking of returning to it? Has it, indeed risen from the deep grave you tried to bury it in?

this is an interesting historical fact that younger members or maybe Jayne might like to know?

Social source share

The other day you wrote that you started playing new releases because the 60s discoveries weren't up to your own quality standard. I understand that from the mid 70s on you played nothing but new releases. Now did it happen back then that you came across a brilliant 60s unknown you really liked but couldn't play because of your "new releases only" policy?

It didn't happen overnight, Benji.

We started playing new releases sporadically mixed in with classic Northern, in late 1973 and early 1974. By 1976 we were still playing some Sixties but more Seventies. It wasn't until 1977 that there were no Sixties played at all. The crowd dictated this. Records like The Bottle and The Montclairs filled the floor and people started walking off the the Sixties tuff that we played.

Social source share

Well put, Phil.

May I just point out that most of the people on here are nice people and perfectly reasonable and civil.

I stress the word "MOST".

And I am determined to be civil too. While the children scream and rant in the background.

Thats because you send the uncivil stuff privately eh Ian. ? You really are a see through joker writing stuff about being civil.

Social source share

Pathetic.

Not worth replying to such inane dross.

ZERO respect.

nice one ian

no matter how mutch slagging you get, remember when some of these people can record artists as you did and still do , be rememered for your contribution to the scene,and possibly make the money you have made, then just maybe they can have the right to slag you off. jealousy is a wonderfull thing.good luck to you. swoz

Social source share

hello dear Phil

How are you today ??

How's Kim ??

When are we having that meal ??

What were your favourite tracks off "Northern Soul 2008" now you've played it a few times ????

Hi paul,

I'm fine, Kim's good too. I'm having a curry in about 10 minutes:)

My personal favourites are the Shenton Dixon and Nat Austine tracks, but there's something for everone on there :0)

Which tracks do you like best?

Phil

Social source share

Thats sh-te. If someone is threatened as the result of a thread, its an issue for the site and the person sending threats should be banned. So, keep your German system and sensibilities mate. If there was NO consequensce to private threats as a result of on site debate, there would be no on site debat.e only a threatening dictatorship....sound familiar mate?

Errrm... Paul, is this not a little over the top?

Benji was just making a point. German system & sensibilities? A dictatorship sounding familiar?

You'll be blaming him for bombing your chippie next?

Social source share

nice one ian

no matter how mutch slagging you get, remember when some of these people can record artists as you did and still do , be rememered for your contribution to the scene,and possibly make the money you have made, then just maybe they can have the right to slag you off. jealousy is a wonderfull thing.good luck to you. swoz

I love you Swoz, and you just made my day.

Social source share

Could you tell us after so famously declaring "Northern Soul Is Dead", why you suddenly say, its your passion and your thinking of returning to it? Has it, indeed risen from the deep grave you tried to bury it in?

this is an interesting historical fact that younger members or maybe Jayne might like to know?

mmmmmmmmm? ANYONE?

Social source share

My personal favourites are the Shenton Dixon and Nat Austin tracks, but there's something for everone on there

Which tracks do you like best?

Phil

Nat Augustin, and Fay Jones.

Social source share

Errrm... Paul, is this not a little over the top?

Benji was just making a point. German system & sensibilities? A dictatorship sounding familiar?

You'll be blaming him for bombing your chippie next?

Dictatorships are familiar ALL over the world. I was referring to Dictatorships as a generic not a specific thing. Sorry if you associated the words German and Dictatorship........not meant.

Social source share

Just to get my point straight for once and all. I found and still find Ian Levine calling anybody on here fascist totally out of place and disgraceful but I didn't comment to any of these posts because they weren't addressed to me. But your post was addressed to me, hence my reply.

Actually, Ian, I got a question for you if you don't mind:

Well said Benji cos when any/everybody thinks it's okay to start bandying around heavily-loaded words like 'fascist' and 'dictatorship' on here and hurling thinly-veiled homophobic insults then we all know that the debate is no longer about music whatsoever - it's just about hate and bile - so, once again - I appeal to Mike and his fellow moderators to moderate this thread a lot more closely or just shut it down - it's getting out of hand (again) - I too wish Ian would tell a bit more about the Mecca days/nights, particularly when it became more a less a 100% 'new releases' event. If I wanna read race hate stuff or homophobia, I'll find it on the internet myself, it has no place on this Forum...so, once again...get a grip......everybody.....

MRez

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

And my answer to all my critics, as I stand unrepentant.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Well said Benji cos when any/everybody thinks it's okay to start bandying around heavily-loaded words like 'fascist' and 'dictatorship' on here and hurling thinly-veiled homophobic insults then we all know that the debate is no longer about music whatsoever - it's just about hate and bile - so, once again - I appeal to Mike and his fellow moderators to moderate this thread a lot more closely or just shut it down - it's getting out of hand (again) - I too wish Ian would tell a bit more about the Mecca days/nights, particularly when it became more a less a 100% 'new releases' event. If I wanna read race hate stuff or homophobia, I'll find it on the internet myself, it has no place on this Forum...so, once again...get a grip......everybody.....

MRez

First comment of that ilk came from IL Mark, in reply to Dave Rimmer

Disgraceful post.

You should know better.

You wrote it here on Soul Source in reply to someone complaining about The Four Vandals.

I'm sure if all Soul Source is archived, it can be easily found.

I memorised it word for word, amazed that someone who writes books and magazines could be so blinkered. It saddened me forever where your name is concerned.

It frightens me that people might actually read stuff like this purely because it came from you, and actaully be influenced by it in some way.

Reminds me of Hitler Youth a bit.

As you say, why not just shut it down.

Social source share

The original quote / declaration was by Dave Godin himself in his Blues & Soul article September 30 1975, where his column that issue was headlined "Northern Soul Is Dead - Long Live Soul Music!".

An actual 'historical fact'.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Wasn't born until '76 but I'm no longer a younger member on here... :thumbup: -how depressing.

Social source share

The original quote / declaration was by Dave Godin himself in his Blues & Soul article September 30 1975, where his column that issue was headlined "Northern Soul Is Dead - Long Live Soul Music!".

An actual 'historical fact'.

Sean

Well done Sean.

Social source share

Guest highlander

....HELLO

...right i am back...after a. password problem!.......where were we???............

......i cant be sure on that one either Andy/Ian..........we was flittin betwixt Colin @ Rafters etc......Ian @ Angels in burnley,The ritz all-dayers and the Mecca with Ian and Brian Wakelin etc....

.......was Nicky newarkers "Woman" (aka jesus alvarez of solo cuts and Willow band fame...)known at the time?......."We" certainly missed it...and we got most things as they came out....would have been massive at the mecca....there are plenty that got missed on a soul and soulful dance tip.

and thanx 4 the polite reply Ian.......to my first and so far!!! :rolleyes: . only post on s.s.

....there is loads more Mecca etc... stuff to talk about..........happy dayz,happy dayz.....

pete

HI Pete i dont think there's anyone more qualfied to talk about the mecca ,I went from 74 pretty regularly 'till the end and you seemed to be there every time.Did you ever miss! Had some fantastic nights there ,and apart from the wonderful stuff from mr levine and mr curtis there was the added bonus of 500+ Women down stairs!!! Did a dream this or does anyone remember a girl who used to go in the highland room in a Bikini!!! Think she went with a black guy marlon? this thread just stirred up that memory some one say its true please!

Social source share

Firstly Ian as Mossy said why dont you get your arse out and travel up and down the country and see the wide diversity of wonderful black music that is played all over this country and in Europe under the banner of Northern Soul ?

Secondly Ian i believe the term northern Soul as a genre is outdated and redundant and is now a buzz word that the media like to use as a marketing tool to sell or control. Why do we need the term to sell something thats good ?

Thirdly Ian why do you believe everyone hates you if they dont like the stuff that you produce ?

I have nothing but respect for your past but as I stated earlier I didnt like the "motorcity" stuff or most of your other output... but Ian I dont hate you.

Life is too short get out and enjoy !

Tell me something, Roddy.

After reading some of the utter dire bilge that I have had to subject myself to today, on this extremely wearying thread, can you now see for yourself the answer to question number one ????

And how amusing your last line is, even though I know it was written with the most honourable of intentions.

Social source share

This is all true, and now they try to rewrite history.

Ian do you have any real evidence of this?

Even if there was a promotor driven campaign against the Rocket as you say happened, for it to have been succesful that means that the London soul scene are basically sheep that do as they are told. You are not saying that now are you?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share