Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Guest bazabod_downunder

Hi Andy...sorry to pick hairs mate but The National was held in Perth in 2003 with it being in Brisbane 2004, haven't seen Joanne for a while but she turned up at a soul nite in Sydney a couple of years ago, before that I had the pleasure of meeting her in Perth for the Irish Clubs 100th soul nite in march 2005.

I see earlier a picture was posted with a guy called John Bollen in it, I do believe he is here as well, if it's the same guy he used to come to our soul nites in Brisbane but that was a fair while ago & has seem to dropped off the planet.....his favorite track was Leon Haywood - Baby Reconsider...is this the same bloke?......btw The National is rotated throughout the states & once again it's back in Perth this November.

Getting back to the main thread....Ian, some people may love you, loath you or even hate you but your contribution to the scene is legendary & is the reason why so many are in the scene, I must admit I'm not a great fan of your most recent productions but I will always give it a listen...keep on going!

KTF

Baz

before

I agree Ian he looked so much better with short hair! I had my arm around him because he had his tight rugger shorts on in this photo! Taken 2004 At The National Northern Soul do, Perth, Australia.

DSC01412.jpg

Social source share

Right , this is just my very humble opinion , and I dont wish to p*ss off anybody in particular , but if it does , so be it

what has Ian Levine done wrong , maybe he might of upset people by certain things he's done , but surely the man has

had and found more records than most the of people on here (I'm Lincs Leauge 14 if there was one ) so if the bloke is bringing

out Northern Sounding music , whats upwith that!, some are good some aren't good but we don't have to buy them , do we?

I'll shut up now 'cause the Vinos kickin' in, but just listen to man , he doesn't need our money!

Swifty

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Not as far as I know...& I know almost everyone on the scene here, some just drop off the radar as they don't expect to find anything here apart from sitting round a fire eating damper, bush tea & listening to Slim Dusty...if anyone has a contact for ex-pats here let me know so that I could put them in touch with their states soul scene.

KTF

Baz

What happened to Matt Jahans? Didn't he disappear to Australia never to be seen again, or is he promoting out there?

He was a great bloke and his welcoming host manner was part of the attraction of The Dome.

Social source share

Here's one that'll make you positively gooey Paul.

Why don't you ask him if he put the feelers out for Jack Montgomery for SWONS?

I'd love to see a video of our Jack. If there's a monolith in NS, it's him, I reckon...

Jack Montgomery died many many years before we filmed SWONS.

Social source share

As I remember The Rocket was set up by a copper who was disgruntled with the London clubs not playing enough oldies, thought he knew better what people wanted and then asked Ian to DJ.

The Dome was a different kettle of fish, you had a fresh faced promoter who had never heard of Ian Levine, when Ian asked him to be a resident DJ the young man replied yes sure do us a tape and we will call you, story goes that they got threats as well. I am sure they all can verify this to be true or not true.

This is all wrong and twisted.

Not worth answering any further than to say that.

Social source share

I actually like this one! But it sounds like the whole track is over compressed? When I played it thru the stabs seemed to jump out in the quiet bits but then disappeared once the music kicked back in? Strange. A great little track tho. Could you tube be compressing the whole track takeing the edge off it?

Yes. YouTube's compression is simply horrible.

This video I'm posting below is a typical example, and demonstrates how bad the compression is. When the beat stops and the vocals carry on, the level shoots up to distortion level.

This is why the CDs and DVDs I release are so superior to the songs on YouTube, because YouTube's compression is so brutal.

">
Social source share

This is all wrong and twisted.

Not worth answering any further than to say that.

But you of course agree that there was no committee set up and that merely emerged from your over active imagination don't you?

Social source share

Ian, some people may love you, loath you or even hate you but your contribution to the scene is legendary & is the reason why so many are in the scene, I must admit I'm not a great fan of your most recent productions but I will always give it a listen...keep on going!

If you're willing to listen, rather than prejudge, then I could ask for nothing more.

Social source share

But you of course agree that there was no committee set up and that merely emerged from your over active imagination don't you?

I'm sorry Donna but I don't agree, and I'm concerned that certain people have unfortunately developed very short memories.

We have archived all the old posts on ANS. If anyone on there wants to spend a couple of weeks going through them, from 2003, I can probably find all the info to prove it all.

Social source share

I'm sorry Donna but I don't agree, and I'm concerned that certain people have unfortunately developed very short memories.

We have archived all the old posts on ANS. If anyone on there wants to spend a couple of weeks going through them, from 2003, I can probably find all the info to prove it all.

As Rob and I were never members of ANS it would be a pointless exercise. It was just you and your friends getting in a tizzy over the fact that the London soul scene wouldn't welcome you like a returning Messiah.

Nobody was ever shunned for attending Rocket nights, but plenty didn't go because of your bombastic confrontational way of promoting yourself. As Steve says the number of hardcore London soul fans who boycotted you shouldn't have made too much difference to a venue that boasted 1500 (your figures).

Social source share

As Rob and I were never members of ANS it would be a pointless exercise.

Not at all.

We amassed correct factual information at the time, even down to dates and times of the planning meetings.

But it's pointless dragging it all up again. I quit DJing because of it, and I am certainly not going back.

Social source share

Not at all.

We amassed correct factual information at the time, even down to dates and times of the planning meetings.

But it's pointless dragging it all up again. I quit DJing because of it, and I am certainly not going back.

Pure gibberish, we never had any meetings, anything I arranged with Rob and Nick was done on the phone. I agree its pointless but I won't let you re-write history, your behaviour throughout that period was very poor and you misjudged the London rare soul scene badly and still do to this day. Not surprising really, as you never chose to be a part of it apart from during that brief interlude. I'll leave it now or it will become too time consuming for no real benefit.

Social source share

Give this a try...

She's from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Amazing singer.....

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Rich
Social source share

I have tried hard not to post on this thread.(so hard)

I got into this in 1974 'cause my big cousins were into it, it took another two years for me to get to an allnighter and i loved it.

Most of the guys in Scotland were supportive and helpful in my quest.

I flirted with seventies even went to the mecca twice once at night and once to an alldayer mostlly it was wigan and then stafford/100 club - sixties were and are my thing.

Drifted out came back.

But kept collecting for most of those years in a modest way as my budget would dictate.

I have enjoyed most of what i have read especially the stuff about records found and lost in some cases over the years.

Ian I dont like the stuff you do now and i dont think i ever will.

But I will defend your right to do what you do to the death even if its not my thing.

I know you have put some hard yards in over the years and brought some great music to the ears of many.

People i respect and like have posted up some silly stuff taking the piss and i have spoken to them about it.

But there is three points Ian that i would like to raise (and i would like an answer to each if you can be bothered)

Firstly Ian as Mossy said why dont you get your arse out and travel up and down the country and see the wide diversity of wonderful black music that is played all over this country and in Europe under the banner of Northern Soul ?

Secondly Ian i believe the term northern Soul as a genre is outdated and redundant and is now a buzz word that the media like to use as a marketing tool to sell or control. Why do we need the term to sell something thats good ?

Thirdly Ian why do you believe everyone hates you if they dont like the stuff that you produce ?

I have nothing but respect for your past but as I stated earlier I didnt like the "motorcity" stuff or most of your other output... but Ian I dont hate you.

Life is too short get out and enjoy !

Social source share

Hi Andy...sorry to pick hairs mate but The National was held in Perth in 2003

Yeah you are corrct, This was a Weekender, Started at Paddy O'gradys bar on The Friday, Then Irish Club Saturday, Finishing at The Mullaloo Tavern on the Sunday.

There were alot of Interstaters, Steve Bardsley,Etc. Plus The usual Perth crew of Pete Fowler, Denny etc. A good weekend, I had the odd beer or two at the bar! wink.gif

Andy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Right , this is just my very humble opinion , and I dont wish to p*ss off anybody in particular , but if it does , so be it

what has Ian Levine done wrong , maybe he might of upset people by certain things he's done , but surely the man has

had and found more records than most the of people on here (I'm Lincs Leauge 14 if there was one ) so if the bloke is bringing

out Northern Sounding music , whats upwith that!, some are good some aren't good but we don't have to buy them , do we?

I'll shut up now 'cause the Vinos kickin' in, but just listen to man , he doesn't need our money!

Swifty

Thats fine Swifty, but for guys like James and myself we find this sub standard (generally) copycat imitation the complete opposite of what we want. As with most RnB and most modern, stuff I cant stand, if people want to like it, I couldnt give a rats, but I do object to be called closed minded or a fascist for not liking it.

Should people be expected to like any record played at Northern Soul clubs? Of course not. Should anybody be expected to like a record just because the producer helped find many of the discoveries we mostly love and have in our collections? No of course not. I dont recall a clamouring of people demanding to hear Heartache Avenue by the Maisonettes played at Hinkley or Leicester, just because the pop record had attempted (very well, far better than most of Ian's attempts) to recreate that 60s feel. Why? because it isnt authentic.

I see the Northern Soul scene having an inbuilt ability to seek out integrity and in many peoples opinions there is little or no integrity in many of Ian's more recent attempts. Lots of the 70s ones like LJ Johnson were IMO better than the stuff he is releasing today, Venetia Wilson excepted which I think is exceptional. It just proves that getting things so wrong, can one day mean that you get it so right. But it is still a modern day copycat that IMO has no place in an authentic Northern Soul club.

As for the Rocket. I went to every single one with Janine. I was well aware i was caught in the middle, but felt that by doing that little 'in town' list I should not just be promoting my favourites, but neutral and support every club in London, so still I went along. I think of guys like Ady, Alan, Greg and Nick as amongst the best guys in London, and as good friends. I was well aware I could be 'letting the side dwn', but there was no side. Nick even shook my hand outside the Rocket and told me to have a great time. Can you imagine Ian doing the same to me outside the Dome or Crossfire? Greg often used to phone to see if I was going, and asked to pass messages on to guys about records he wanted or was selling. Never once did anyone in the London crowd ever criticise me for visiting every one. I went because I like Paul and Kev. I think they are good blokes and they were the real ones to suffer from the fallout.

Having been indirectly called a fascist for holding what I consider to be pretty reasonable views, I have to say my recollection of what went on back then to be totally different to Ian's, and far more in line with Daved, Poly and the rest's memories. There are fascists today who will argue that the holocaust didnt happen. I think its amazing that people can distort things that really happened, in such a public way, and pretend they didnt happen. But constantly repeating their flawed memories, it doesnt make them any more real.

The reason I am on Soul Source is because after constantly trying to be in between the two sides, after one more atrocious act I could remain neutral no longer. Mike had posted some of my views I included on in town, and asked me to come on here and give my point of view....I bet sometimes he wished he hadnt laugh.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Never once did anyone in the London crowd ever criticise me for visiting every one.

No nor me. I went because I chose to go, never had any "feedback" about me going from the "northern soul underworld" that supposedly exists in London. That's why I am annoyed with this attempt to re-write recent history and blame others for the demise of the Rocket. Jees makes me wonder how accurate some of the older stories might be unsure.gif

The Rocket didn't ultimately fail because on one night there was another night on in London, it failed for a multitude of other reasons.

Social source share

Thats fine Swifty, but for guys like James and myself we find this sub standard (generally) copycat imitation the complete opposite of what we want. As with most RnB and most modern, stuff I cant stand, if people want to like it, I couldnt give a rats, but I do object to be called closed minded or a fascist for not liking it.

Should people be expected to like any record played at Northern Soul clubs? Of course not. Should anybody be expected to like a record just because the producer helped find many of the discoveries we mostly love and have in our collections? No of course not. I dont recall a clamouring of people demanding to hear Heartache Avenue by the Maisonettes played at Hinkley or Leicester, just because the pop record had attempted (very well, far better than most of Ian's attempts) to recreate that 60s feel. Why? because it isnt authentic.

I see the Northern Soul scene having an inbuilt ability to seek out integrity and in many peoples opinions there is little or no integrity in many of Ian's more recent attempts. Lots of the 70s ones like LJ Johnson were IMO better than the stuff he is releasing today, Venetia Wilson excepted which I think is exceptional. It just proves that getting things so wrong, can one day mean that you get it so right. But it is still a modern day copycat that IMO has no place in an authentic Northern Soul club.

As for the Rocket. I went to every single one with Janine. I was well aware i was caught in the middle, but felt that by doing that little 'in town' list I should not just be promoting my favourites, but neutral and support every club in London, so still I went along. I think of guys like Ady, Alan, Greg and Nick as amongst the best guys in London, and as good friends. I was well aware I could be 'letting the side dwn', but there was no side. Nick even shook my hand outside the Rocket and told me to have a great time. Can you imagine Ian doing the same to me outside the Dome or Crossfire? Greg often used to phone to see if I was going, and asked to pass messages on to guys about records he wanted or was selling. Never once did anyone in the London crowd ever criticise me for visiting every one. I went because I like Paul and Kev. I think they are good blokes and they were the real ones to suffer from the fallout.

Having been indirectly called a fascist for holding what I consider to be pretty reasonable views, I have to say my recollection of what went on back then to be totally different to Ian's, and far more in line with Daved, Poly and the rest's memories. There are fascists today who will argue that the holocaust didnt happen. I think its amazing that people can distort things that really happened, in such a public way, and pretend they didnt happen. But constantly repeating their flawed memories, it doesnt make them any more real.

The reason I am on Soul Source is because after constantly trying to be in between the two sides, after one more atrocious act I could remain neutral no longer. Mike had posted some of my views I included on in town, and asked me to come on here and give my point of view....I bet sometimes he wished he hadnt laugh.gif

Excellent post Mikey

extremely well put over, without name calling or any sillyness etc, be interesting to see if it warrants the respected reply it deserves.

smile.gif:yes:

Social source share

Nice quote. And we haven't always seen eye to eye.

Tell me the story about making the squaddies do the starjumps.

Ian, we haven't always seen eye to eye because you are slightly taller than me. :yes:

The "Squaddie's doing star jumps" was back in my Army days whist serving in Bosnia. We would return from patrol and sneak a couple of cans of beer, we where on a "two can" rule but no one ever said how big the cans could be, we chose Jerri cans!

Inevitably a boogie box would be produced and the predictable "rap" would be played by our young soldiers. I had a shed load of Goldmine CD's with me, saved me from going completely mad they did and I would chuck the "rap" CD out of the player and subject the young ones to northernsoul and a Baltic Soul Session.

For those who where brave enough, or stupid enough, to whinge at this, they where given star jumps to do in time to the music and for the duration of the record.

Hence I was responsible for some fitter soldiers and some Northernsoul converts. (No bullying letters please, it was a different Army back then) laugh.gif

While I was there in Banja Luka I was asked to appear on a local radio station as a guest for an hour. I could select or bring my choice of music and be interviewed and speak about my chosen subject. I of course chose Northernsoul.

I spoke about British youth culture and our working class roots pepper potting the interview with various tunes. Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me was one of the tracks I played!

Great days miss them like mad but I am enjoying today's scene and just love the Middleton and the Barnsley nighters.

Ian give me a ring if you can coz I am going to ask a fave that people are gonna love n hate!! ph34r.gif

Facebooking my number to ya now.........

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks for the feedback guys, It looks worse written down than how it sounded in my head. I wasnt attempting to attack Ian at all, just give a view that is different, not closed minded or fascist, just different.

I see the seeds of what went on at that time in London repeating themselves on this thread. I see Paul S's anger very much like some of the Scenesville crowds anger when certain things were printed off and posted in the gents toilets on the mirrors and stalls.

I've never met Joan but through this site have grown to respect all she has done and stands for in regards to Northern Soul, and have known Mark B tho never spoken to him, and Dave Rimmer for longer than I care to remember. Seeing them cristicised is very similar to seeing the things about the Dome, 100 club etc back then. I think lessons should have been leant that aggressive comments are not going to be met with universal acceptance by the soul crowd, and if you are going to fire bullets, expect to be shot back at.

Or better still, dont fire them at all.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Nick even shook my hand outside the Rocket and told me to have a great time.

Silly question but if he wasn't intending to go in, what was he doing outside the Rocket, just happened to be passing at the same time the nighter was starting did he?

I must have also imagined a website set up called Stephensons Rocket who's sole aim was to undermine what was happening at The Rocket.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Silly question but if he wasn't intending to go in, what was he doing outside the Rocket, just happened to be passing at the same time the nighter was starting did he?

I must have also imagined a website set up called Stephensons Rocket who's sole aim was to undermine what was happening at The Rocket.

Nick was handing out flyers for Scenesville Pete. I was led to believe he did try to pay to go into the event and hand them out, but wasnt allowed in, so he just hung about for an hour handing them to people as they went in.

I wasnt there when he tried to go in, and nick didnt tell me he had tried. A few people inside the do told me the story. No idea in how much truth there was in that, but I took it at face value.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Nick was handing out flyers for Scenesville Pete. I was led to believe he did try to pay to go into the event and hand them out, but wasnt allowed in, so he just hung about for an hour handing them to people as they went in.

I wasnt there when he tried to go in, and nick didnt tell me he had tried. A few people inside the do told me the story. No idea in how much truth there was in that, but I took it at face value.

So one of the biggest critics and sabateours of the Rocket is standing outside handing out his own flyers. What a brass neck. If it'd been my venue I'd have set fire to his flyers.

Social source share

So one of the biggest critics and sabateours of the Rocket is standing outside handing out his own flyers. What a brass neck. If it'd been my venue I'd have set fire to his flyers.

It's hardly the crime of the century Pete, there were a lot worse actions from the other side like getting our all night licence revoked.

I can't remember the web site you refer to, I doubt if it had much impact. Levine had got up the noses of so many of the London soul crowd, people were doing things independently, there were no great orchestrated committee meetings like he has stated.

Social source share

Thanks for the feedback guys, It looks worse written down than how it sounded in my head. I wasnt attempting to attack Ian at all, just give a view that is different, not closed minded or fascist, just different.

I see the seeds of what went on at that time in London repeating themselves on this thread. I see Paul S's anger very much like some of the Scenesville crowds anger when certain things were printed off and posted in the gents toilets on the mirrors and stalls.

I've never met Joan but through this site have grown to respect all she has done and stands for in regards to Northern Soul, and have known Mark B tho never spoken to him, and Dave Rimmer for longer than I care to remember. Seeing them cristicised is very similar to seeing the things about the Dome, 100 club etc back then. I think lessons should have been leant that aggressive comments are not going to be met with universal acceptance by the soul crowd, and if you are going to fire bullets, expect to be shot back at.

Or better still, dont fire them at all.

WELL said. I cant comment anymore, as I think 'SOMEONE' has complained about personal attacks...after personally attacking the people Mikey has mentioned above. A sort of hypocrisy being exercised I feel. Im still amazed that the site didn't step in when the original attacks were made against these people, but are quick to step in for the man im not allowed to mention....lets call him 'Mr Big' for now. Maybe an apology from the originator of these attacks is in order?

Social source share

WELL said. I cant comment anymore, as I think 'SOMEONE' has complained about personal attacks...after personally attacking the people Mikey has mentioned above. A sort of hypocrisy being exercised I feel. Im still amazed that the site didn't step in when the original attacks were made against these people, but are quick to step in for the man im not allowed to mention....lets call him 'Mr Big' for now. Maybe an apology from the originator of these attacks is in order?

as said many times if got something to say about this site then say it in feedback

tell you what i post reply to your pm there and to this save me doing it twice

Social source share

Maybe Ian could take a chill pill and just contribute to the site as a whole.. I don't care if a person is one of the so called godfathers of the soul scene or the shit house cleaner, i just care that they are on here for the love of black soul music in whatever form( well, maybe not 2 step) :lol: ... The god complex will not go down well with members.. Mr Roberts came on here playing that game and got shot down in flames...

If you use words like closed ears to any who don't like what you have to offer then you are gonna get some stick for sure...

Its been said before.. Some of us may like the odd bit of stuff thats been produced and think the rest should be flushed down the drain, its a forum for all people with different tastes for sure... There are people with closed minds for sure to anything new but many others who like soul music in many aspects

Ady Croasdell and others with a rich history on the soul scene can come on the forum as a whole and just be a punter like the rest of us..

It does not seem to be the case for people like Ian Levine, Mr Goldsoul and that bloke who plays cds in a shopping center in Wigan... Why do they find it so hard to play ball on soul source???? i think i and many others know the answer...

They could have all joined the forum and just blend in with everyone else.. Maybe posting in different sections and just cutting the breeze..

To have respect you got give respect.... To the big shot promoter or the shit house cleaner...

Social source share

Just had a browse on John Manships auction site

Nestled amongst some crackers half way down

Linda Jones : "Just Can't Live My Life" Warner Bros Issue

On his notes

Debuted by Ian Levine in the Highland room 1972

Love him or hate him

he certainly had an ear for some great tunes, and although widely accepted today as a truly fantastic sounding record, maybe a tadd slow for 72, amongst all the stompers and 100 mphers

so I have to dob my hat for having the balls to do that.

Now don't start attacking me :lol: Im just saying he has broke some great records in the past, thats all Im saying :lol:

PS

Anyone want to borrow me some money on the never never for George Pep :lol::D Pleazzzzzze

Edited by moggy
Social source share

It's hardly the crime of the century Pete, there were a lot worse actions from the other side like getting our all night licence revoked.

I can't remember the web site you refer to, I doubt if it had much impact. Levine had got up the noses of so many of the London soul crowd, people were doing things independently, there were no great orchestrated committee meetings like he has stated.

I know Ady, and it's years ago and is not important and I wasn't even there - but I'm just stating the fact that there was a very nasty website set up, as nasty as Neil Rushton setting one up just to slag me off when I criticised ANS :lol: (hello Neil :lol: )

Social source share

I certainly ended on California Montage when I left in July 1979, my dear Epic. Colin left four months before me.

....HELLO

...right i am back...after a. password problem!.......where were we???............

......i cant be sure on that one either Andy/Ian..........we was flittin betwixt Colin @ Rafters etc......Ian @ Angels in burnley,The ritz all-dayers and the Mecca with Ian and Brian Wakelin etc....

.......was Nicky newarkers "Woman" (aka jesus alvarez of solo cuts and Willow band fame...)known at the time?......."We" certainly missed it...and we got most things as they came out....would have been massive at the mecca....there are plenty that got missed on a soul and soulful dance tip.

and thanx 4 the polite reply Ian.......to my first and so far!!! :lol: . only post on s.s.

....there is loads more Mecca etc... stuff to talk about..........happy dayz,happy dayz.....

pete

Social source share

Love or hate the guy he has certainly give you lot loads to talk about. I for one appreciate some of the better things, ie.discoveries, that the man has contributed to our scene. As for all the bitching on this thread Im not interested and find it a little tedious to read but I suppose thats what forums are used for.

Social source share

Firstly Ian as Mossy said why dont you get your arse out and travel up and down the country and see the wide diversity of wonderful black music that is played all over this country and in Europe under the banner of Northern Soul ?

Secondly Ian i believe the term northern Soul as a genre is outdated and redundant and is now a buzz word that the media like to use as a marketing tool to sell or control. Why do we need the term to sell something thats good ?

Thirdly Ian why do you believe everyone hates you if they dont like the stuff that you produce ?

1 - I feel I have more than paid my dues. I started in 1970 when I went to The Wheel, and was out and about week in week out till July 1979, sometimes DJing seven days a week. From 1971 till 1979 I DJ'd on the Northern Soul scene without a break. I endured the nastiness at The Ritz when Wigan suporters kicked off against the Mecca lads. I endured a twelve foot banner being marched through the Highland Room saying "Levine Must Go". In July 1979, I moved to London and was headhunted by Heaven, to be the DJ when it first opened playing classic style New York Disco to a 2000 strong gay crowd, initially DJing five nights a week. I lasted at Heaven till 1989. During this period, I vowed I had had enough of the Northern Soul scene and sold most of my records off, and only DJ'd at one big event, a reunion that Richard Searling staged in 1983, with me, Colin Curtis, Tony Jebb, and Les Cokell, at which J.J. Barnes sang live, in Manchester. But during this period we did have several Northern Soul nights and several amzingly successful Motown nights at Heaven.

From 1983 to 1986 I had an unprecedented run of pop success with High Energy music, but used all the money it earned to indulge myself in a lifelong dream. From 1987 to 1992 I pursued my lifelong ambition and recorded the Motorcity project, over eight hundred songs across 108 artists who were all former Motown acts, and nearly lost my house over it, and everything I relied on.

In 1997 I was at a Crossroads in my life and my friend Ralph Tee suggested, as I was getting into making video documentaries, that I return to my first love, Northern Soul, and chronicle the history of it.

A project that was initially supposed to be three hours long and thirty performances turned into a twelve hour set, with 131 performances, and then on DVD ointo a 24 hour set, as I included all the priceless stuff we'd filmed in Detroit while recording Motorcity.

This got me travelling all over the country filming clubs and dancers, and once the bug had bitten, I returned to DJing in 1998 when Richard Searling asked me to return to The Ritz.

Then in November 1998 came our amazing Blackpool Mecca Reunion, with 1000 people crammed into the Highland Room that could only hold six hundred tops.

I DJ'd anywhere and everywhere till 2003, but I am a record producer and have been for thirty three years, and the apathy of the Northern Soul scene to anything that bore my name, resulted in The Four Vandals and Venicia Wilson, just to prove a point. The success with which I proved that point, the about-turn everyone did once they found out, the emnity, and the horror of what happened at The Rocket, finally weaned me off going to Northern Soul clubs for good. In fact last year when Gavin and I went to Northampton, the crap was still there, as I explained earlier. The fact that some posters on here even sounded sympathetic to that pathetic woman who so ruined it for me is a great cause for concern for me.

I have said it before and I will say it again, no doubt.

I LOVE THE MUSIC BUT I BLOODY HATE THE SCENE.

And that rings so so true.

Plus, I believe in the music that I make with every fibre of my being.

I have no desire, none whatsoever, to go visit a club that wouldn't play one of my records. That's like throwing acid in my face.

I trust this answers question one.

2 - Northern Soul always was a term to describe a sound, a Motown type feel. I don't give a flying fig what today's "Movers and Shakers", as Dave Godin used to call them, think the term now means, I use it as it was always intended to be used. If it stomps along with strings and vibes and augmented ninths and minor sevenths and "Doo doo dooooo doop" backing vocals, then it's Northern Soul, whether it was recorded in 1967 by George Kerr, or in 2008 by Ian Levine. As long as the basic sound is true.

Similarly, 1959 rock and roll records are NOT Northern Soul, and never will be, even if they are played at every single rare soul night in the country.

3 - I have made some bloody good records. If someone says that every one of them is not to their taste, then it's painfully obvious that it's because it's a personal thing. The Four Vandals and Venicia Wilson proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt. And as I said already, I have no desire to set foot in a club that wouldn't play one of my records, or to have the misery of hearing someone like Soul Sam DJ, knowing his raison d'etre, knowing he would commit hari-kari with bamboo shoots rather than play a record produced by me, and I am too long in the tooth to subject myself to such one-sided intransigence, as I find it nothing more than painful. His reviews in Manifesto demonstrate the most closed mind that I have ever encountered, and it becomes clear from his writing how biased he is against any record I make, even prior to hearing it, then using it to purposely try to sow seeds of discontent, and hold it up as a yardstick of ridicule, something he had pre-determined before he heard the first bar.

People on here can slag me all they like, but it's not going to change me, only make me more determined. For years I endured a huge amaount of vitriol directed at me from Soul Source members. I made the mistake of thinking they spoke for the majority which they don't. But those few who are filled with venom do make it a very unpleasant task for me posting on here, because with every post they make, my hatred of them grows exponentially, till in the end, they just blur into one as "the enemy". There are three in particular that have really made me weary of it all. And wonder why I other. Then I listen back to Fay Jones singing "You Threw A Lucky Punch" and Nat Augustin singing "Love Is My Sanctuary", and I realise that no old bigoted closed minded fool can take away my joy at how great I think they sound, and how artistically and creatively satisfied I am with them.

I hope that has successfully answered all three of your questions.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share