Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Brilliant stuff, did you ever own a 45' by SABU ( South African Blues Union), it came out on a South African Atlantic ( not certain if it's a genuine Atlantic associated 45') release, 70's i believe, Mark Baildon (Mark B on this thread) has one, title eludes me but i do know that it's a banging tune.

Brett

wasn't it the Soul And Blues Union ????

Social source share

Ian did you ever see the "TSU T"on the local 1st issue "Ovide" at the time or was there just the Volt copy`s about back then?.

Dave f...........

post-2848-1220191254_thumb.jpg

No, I had both.

For some reason, probably the mastering, the Volt copy sounded FIFTY TIMES better, and more full.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ian yeah i think you're right i'm doing this from memory, shame Mark B isn't about, sure he will be later and he will hopefully post up a scan.

Brett

Social source share

Guest thenogger

IAN, what is the trouble are'nt you getting you own way. What I say, it my own PERSONEL thoughts and that is absolutely GARBAGE. Thats the end of my thoughts. I CAN USE S/S just as much as you so you should not ignore me the user. You have your opinion and i have mine, If we all thought the same would'nt life be boring.

REGARDS

thenogger (MR. IRONSIDE) Stoke - on - Trent.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ian i'm not going to hog this section of the thread, but did you ever own this 45', i'm certain that it would have been far to slow for the Mecca, but it's a great mid -tempo 70's sound, really interested because i don't know that many who have it.

Cheers Brett

Social source share

Secondly - how many 45s were stored in that room around that time ? .........

My friend at the time was Joanne Leech who had moved to Australia.

When she moved to Oz a mate of mine went down to Southampton to see her off, I think

he staill has her letter to him !!! He always seemed to be friendly with the girls including

Judy...............me? I always ended up with someone who look like Dave Rivers :)laugh.gif:lol:

Talking about NS and girls and that you had to come down to the Hampstead Birds Nest

every Thursday night, there was alot of unplayed/undiscovered stuff being tested there.

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

IAN, what is the trouble are'nt you getting you own way. What I say, it my own PERSONEL thoughts and that is absolutely GARBAGE. Thats the end of my thoughts. I CAN USE S/S just as much as you so you should not ignore me the user. You have your opinion and i have mine, If we all thought the same would'nt life be boring.

REGARDS

thenogger (MR. IRONSIDE) Stoke - on - Trent.

"You are still ignoring this user due to excessive disrespect and rudeness".

Social source share

Ian i'm not going to hog this section of the thread, but did you ever own this 45', i'm certain that it would have been far to slow for the Mecca, but it's a great mid -tempo 70's sound, really interested because i don't know that many who have it.

Cheers Brett

I don't recognise it, but I had sixty thousand singles the first time round and over 100,000 the second time round (although there were a lot of multiples the second time). I still have over eighty thousand but most of the good stuff has been picked through.

Social source share

When she moved to Oz a mate of mine went down to Southampton to see her off, I think

he staill has her letter to him !!! He always seemed to be friendly with the girls including

Judy...............me? I always ended up with someone who look like Dave Rivers

Talking about NS and girls and that you had to come down to the Hampstead Birds Nest

every Thursday night, there was alot of unplayed/undiscovered stuff being tested there.

Please remember you're a married man.

Social source share

Ian,

Did you try to find Patti Jo for SWONS ?

Don't think anyone has a photo of her ?

Was gonna put a picture of the Dutch 45 of "Make Me Believe In You" but unfortunately Mrs Shrews can't be arsed and I don't have the know how.

Don't think she recorded anything else except her other "Ain't No Love Lost" ? Scepter 45 ?

Cheers Paul

PS The Dutch 45 has a "designed" sleeve rather than a pic/photo

Social source share

Motorcity hit the charts the lovely Frances Nero

Yes but she wasn't so lovely to me in the end.

She wouldn't listen and has complained for years about being ripped off, when, becaue of the deal with Charly Records at the time, nobody earned a penny out of her record.

But no, she carries on to this day, full of hate.

Social source share

Ian,

Not too hard, no, we didn't really try.

It would have been nice, but by the time we got to 131 it was becoming a bit too much to handle.

As Neil Rushton said, I wouldn't have been happy till I found and filmed 300 of them.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

You make me wish I'd simply never bothered.

And lets just say I'm starting to feel none too fond of you.

I can't help but wish you weren't frequenting this thread, even though I have no right to say so.

If I weren't on Soul Source, I would be much ruder to you and really speak my mind.

Hey Ian it's just my opinion it doesn't diminish what you've done in any way. If you think my comments would make a difference then you must be a little bit insecure about them in the first place. If YOU love them then that's cool. If the artists LOVE them that's also cool. After all that's all that matters isn't it? We all have a great debt we owe you for the amount of effort you put into the scene all those years ago if it wasn't for your hard work and diligance half the records (If not more!) we love so much would have never reached our ears! For this we all really do owe you big time. But I'm really sorry I just think you could have done more with the talents you have and re-produced the MAGIC you were after. I just don't hear it yet. I am really sorry about that.

Social source share

Hey Ian it's just my opinion it doesn't diminish what you've done in any way. If you think my comments would make a difference then you must be a little bit insecure about them in the first place. If YOU love them then that's cool. If the artists LOVE them that's also cool. After all that's all that matters isn't it? We all have a great debt we owe you for the amount of effort you put into the scene all those years ago if it wasn't for your hard work and diligance half the records (If not more!) we love so much would have never reached our ears! For this we all really do owe you big time. But I'm really sorry I just think you could have done more with the talents you have and re-produced the MAGIC you were after. I just don't hear it yet. I am really sorry about that.

And so am I.

Social source share

She wouldn't listen and has complained for years about being ripped off, when, becaue of the deal with Charly Records at the time, nobody earned a penny out of her record.

like I tell her Footsteps was a wonderful track and she told me how she feels but what ever goes on between you and her as nothing to do with me.

Social source share

Judy...............me? I always ended up with someone who look like Dave Rivers :)laugh.gif:lol:

rolleyes.gif

I literraly bumped into Joanne last year in Sydney! Still looks good and can dance the arse of us!

I stayed at her House in Perth in 2004, We rang Ian to let him Know, Top girl, And now Happily settled down with a fella whom I hear good things about. Mates till the end me and Jo!

Andy.

Social source share

like I tell her Footsteps was a wonderful track and she told me how she feels but what ever goes on between you and her has nothing to do with me.

Nothing goes on between me and her.

NOTHING.

I regret digging her out of retirement after her not recording for twenty three years, because of the way she treated me. Other artists deserved the song much more. I only wish I had given it to Pat Lewis instead.

I'm terribly sad to say that I can't help but think she's become slightly unhinged. The whole situation is just painful.

Her record sold forty thousand, and was number seventeen in the charts, and didn't earn any money back from Charly who had the exclusive rights. She thinks it was number one on the pop charts and sold millions.

If the money had been paid by Charly, seven percent royalty of forty thousand is £2400, but her contract provided for three thousand pounds recording costs and tape shipping to Detroit, and huge studio bills, to be deducted before any payment was due, so she never even broke even anyway. But she made a fortune from touring live, all over the UK for at least three separate trips, and she never once acknowledged that she'd never have gotten any of that if I hadn't recorded her. Instead she just continues on, eaten up with raw bitterness. One of the worst examples I have ever seen of this in my entire career, although admittedly not a patch on what Roger Hatcher put Ralph Tee through.

Sad.

Terribly sad.

Social source share

I literraly bumped into Joanne last year in Sydney! Still looks good and can dance the arse of us!

I stayed at her House in Perth in 2004, We rang Ian to let him Know, Top girl, And now Happily settled down with a fella whom I hear good things about. Mates till the end me and Jo!

Andy.

Please PM her e-mail address to me.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

NOTHING.

I regret digging her out of retirement after her not recording for twenty three years, because of the way she treated me. Other artists deserved the song much more. I only wish I had given it to Pat Lewis instead.

I'm terribly sad to say that I can't help but think she's become slightly unhinged. The whole situation is just painful.

Her record sold forty thousand, and was number seventeen in the charts, and didn't earn any money back from Charly who had the exclusive rights. She thinks it was number one on the pop charts and sold millions.

If the money had been paid by Charly, seven percent royalty of forty thousand is £2400, but her contract provided for three thousand pounds recording costs and tape shipping to Detroit, and huge studio bills, to be deducted before any payment was due, so she never even broke even anyway. But she made a fortune from touring live, all over the UK for at least three separate trips, and she never once acknowledged that she'd never have gotten any of that if I hadn't recorded her. Instead she just continues on, eaten up with raw bitterness. One of the worst examples I have ever seen of this in my entire career, although admittedly not a patch on what Roger Hatcher put Ralph Tee through.

Sad.

Terribly sad.

What did you think of the remixes done about 4 years ago. Came out on SU SU.

Social source share

ian

sorry if this has been asked earlier but wat was mel britt like wen u worked with him ? what did he think of his godlike status to us soul fans who adored his fantastic recording ? by the way i will definately be buying the new dvd, and i appreciate all the time and effort that u put into this project

Social source share

What did you think of the remixes done about 4 years ago. Came out on SU SU.

Hated them, but allowed Neil to do them his way. And didn't interfere.

These kind of remixes just devalue a great song, to my ears, and are a complete and utter waste of space.

Social source share

ian

sorry if this has been asked earlier but wat was mel britt like wen u worked with him ? what did he think of his godlike status to us soul fans who adored his fantastic recording ? by the way i will definately be buying the new dvd, and i appreciate all the time and effort that u put into this project

He was flattered and surprised and travelled over a hundred miles to come and film it.

His son is a big hip-hop artist.

Social source share

Please PM her e-mail address to me.

Will do Ian along with phone numbers, Give her a call! She'd love to hear from you, I also have Stuarts!

Andy

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Hated them, but allowed Neil to do them his way. And didn't interfere.

These kind of remixes just devalue a great song, to my ears, and are a complete and utter waste of space.

Have to agree with you. Couldn't understand why they felt the need to make them so tough. When I was told 'Foosteps' was going to be remixed I was expecting something much more Soulful. Especially from a label like Su Su. Great oppurtunity missed I'm afaid.

Social source share

Just watched Superiors video of "What Would I Do" - a vastly underrated tune - always loved it.

Remember as an up & coming soulie back in 72/73 going into Starpic Studios (Record Shop) Blackpool & asking for What Would I Do - rushing home on the bus only to find it wasn't The Tymes song of the same title - I was learning back then - sad thing is Starpic had some listening booths at the back of the shop but in my eagerness to get it home & on to my Dansette there was no time for that. Still a great record though & I still have it.

Those guys on the video really looked like they were enjoying themselves - would like to know the last time they had sung that before SWONS.

Social source share

NOTHING.

Sad.

Terribly sad.

I do know what went on , to say you regret digging her out of retirement is sad , if you didn't your motorcity project wouldn't have been complete not saying 100% it was but just looking at the artist's , songwriters who you put back together with the Motorcity project at the time you took a chance and a big gamble , sadly i hear it all the time when I'm In Detroit Levine this , Levine that , even when i want to do something with some of them anything to do with Levine often quoted , But luckily there is still some artist's who appreciates what you did , No matter how much money you lost , whoever slags you off

be very PROUD of The Motorcity Project !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ian,

Don't think she recorded anything else except her other "Ain't No Love Lost" ? Scepter 45 ?

Hi Paul,

Patti Jo was living in Nashville last I heard. She has several tracks on a multi-artist CD that came out around the turn of this century, and there was a small pic of her on its booklet front. Was definitely the same Patti Jo, she talked about working with Curtis Mayfield in the short bio in the booklet....

Best as always,

TONY

Social source share

I do know what went on , to say you regret digging her out of retirement is sad , if you didn't your motorcity project wouldn't have been complete not saying 100% it was but just looking at the artist's , songwriters who you put back together with the Motorcity project at the time you took a chance and a big gamble , sadly i hear it all the time when I'm In Detroit Levine this , Levine that , even when i want to do something with some of them anything to do with Levine often quoted , But luckily there is still some artist's who appreciates what you did , No matter how much money you lost , whoever slags you off

be very PROUD of The Motorcity Project !

They ALL got something out of it, money, exposure, performances, and a chance to be heard again.

If they ended up not making quite as much as they expected, I still can't imagine why they would say anything bad about me. After all, nobody else came along to queue up to record them, since, and more than half have passed away now.

I hope Tony Rounce will confirm, after the shabby and disgraceful way that Ace/Kent were mistreated by Phillip Mitchell, that there are usually two sides to a story, and the artist's side isn't always the correct one.

Social source share

Along with Chuck Jackson 'All Over The World' and 'Fan The Flame', for me three of the best things you ever made. Just pure and simple joyous soul music. Superb. :

Roger

Here's Barbara Pennington's original "Fan The Flame", from 1984, plus Fay Jones' amazing version of it, from "Yesterday And Tomorrow", earlier this year, 2008. The original Barbara Pennington twelve inch also had the wonderful slow beginning, which was brutally excised from the Record Shack seven inch back in 1984, with all the subtlety of a butchers cleaver.

">
Social source share

It was Ian!

It's the same record Brett is talking about - the one Mark B has now!

Solid centre South African Atlantic i think?

Sure Mark B will confirm too :thumbup:

You offered it me for £1K when i came to see you a few years ago if you remember?

I thought it was good.........but not £1K good :D

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

It was Ian!

It's the same record Brett is talking about - the one Mark B has now!

Solid centre South African Atlantic i think?

Sure Mark B will confirm too

You offered it me for £1K when i came to see you a few years ago if you remember?

I thought it was good.........but not £1K good :thumbup:

Cheers

Steve

You've forgotten wrongly. I offered it to you for £500, which was what I paid for it. I can remeber very clearly, definitely £500, not 1k.

Sorry to contradict you, Plumby.

I wonder who bought my Pye issue of the Jones Brothers, one of only two known to man.

Social source share

They ALL got something out of it, money, exposure, performances, and a chance to be heard again.

If they ended up not making quite as much as they expected, I still can't imagine why they would say anything bad about me. After all, nobody else came along to queue up to record them, since, and more than half have passed away now.

I hope Tony Rounce will confirm, after the shabby and disgraceful way that Ace/Kent were mistreated by Phillip Mitchell, that there are usually two sides to a story, and the artist's side isn't always the correct one.

After all, nobody else came along to queue up to record them,

They ALL got something out of it, money, exposure, performances, and a chance to be heard again

usually two sides to a story, and the artist's side isn't always the correct one

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !

And you know I would always help you out if i can -

">
Social source share

I'm a relative newcomer to the Northern Soul Scene, having only gone to my first soul do at the age of 28 in the late 90s (anyone who knows me will know that I'm first and foremost a Jamaican music fan and got into soul via ska and rocksteady).

Anyway, to get to the point, I'd just like to thank Ian for putting together the DVDs as those of us who were in kindergarten/junior school (or weren't even born yet) in the early 70s don't know what many of the artists look like and these videos let us see them in action. Some of the music is class too and miles better than the "R&B" crap that infests the charts.

Gordy

Social source share

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !

And you know I would always help you out if i can -

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Anyway, to get to the point, I'd just like to thank Ian for putting together the DVDs as those of us who were in kindergarten/junior school (or weren't even born yet) in the early 70s don't know what many of the artists look like and these videos let us see them in action. Some of the music is class too and miles better than the "R&B" crap that infests the charts.

Gordy

Thankyou Gordy.

My wish and my aim is to continue the style of music forward, into the future, so it doesn't disappear into a room of eighty year olds dancing with their zimmer frames, to an even older retired schoolteacher.

Social source share

dear mr levine i have been wanting to post this up for a couple of days now but thought i had better read through all 38 pages first,

thank you for all you have done or are still to do for the music i love so much.

gogs

ps. one of my favourites at the moment is Doris Jones "no way out

Social source share

dear mr levine i have been wanting to post this up for a couple of days now but thought i had better read through all 38 pages first,

thank you for all you have done or are still to do for the music i love so much.

gogs

In the past, I was not a fan of Soul Source because all I saw was people slagging me off.

Since joining and posting on this thread, I have realised how very much in the minority these people are, and how wonderful most people on Soul Source are, and how much I misjudged it in the past because of the bad antics of a tiny few.

Social source share

ps. one of my favourites at the moment is Doris Jones "no way out

There was never any video footage of her.

But I promise you, you will enjoy and love Tammi Lavette's version.

">
Social source share

You've forgotten wrongly. I offered it to you for £500, which was what I paid for it. I can remeber very clearly, definitely £500, not 1k.

Sorry to contradict you, Plumby.

I've forgotten wrongly? :lol:laugh.gif:ohmy:

Priceless Ian, priceless :lol:

Who did you end up selling it to?

btw Knowing Mark B I'll bet he bagged it for buttons on evilbay cos if there's a man that can eek out bargains on the bay, it's that man!

I remember it being a fairly nice record and undoubtedly a very rare record BUT thought I could live without it at £1K (or £500 if I've forgotten wrongly wink.gif )!

That was a good day by the way and I certainly came away with some great records :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I've forgotten wrongly?

Priceless Ian, priceless

Who did you end up selling it to?

Well I actually sold thought I sold it to you.

But I know it was for the £500 I paid for it, whoever I sold it to.

The record's title has come back to me. It was called "Restless" by The Soul And Blues Union.

Social source share

That was a good day by the way and I certainly came away with some great records :

Cheers

Steve

I've still got loads of stuff left, if you wanna sift through some of it.

Lots of cheapies

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Haha LOL. With the best will in the world, Charlie Records aren't exactly renowned for their accounting procedures anyway are they? :lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, Universal have given up the ghost of even chasing 'em on the Chess catalogue haven't they? I'm not even sure what country they're operating from at present............

Ian D :lol:

Social source share