Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Well blow me down! You're absolutely right - it's thinly disguised instrumental version of "Domino"! How weird. I bought it in Peterborough for a tenner in '75 completely unheard 'cos I liked the look of it but it's taken an SS post 33 years later to state the bleedin' obvious...... :lol:

Ian 'Cloth Ears' D :D

Sorry Ian you brought it off Brad at Burnley C.C. in 1975(right year)

You brought Sam Moutrie WD same night.

Social source share

Great though - Al De Lory I mean - I don't like Van Morrison at all, totally overrated artist (cue Tony Rounce mentioning David Bowie being rubbish just to annoy me :lol: )

I have never heard anything by Van Morrison, and i,ve never been into Dave Bowie, but one of my workmates from the 70,s/80,s was mad on him. Anyway i won a raffle for a pair of tickets for the Bowie gig at Blingley Hall Stafford. Can,t remember year but i went with him on the back of his moterbike.

Social source share

That Four Vandals video is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. Are they dancing in someones garden?

Regardless of any concerns with the actual music itself, the presentation is abysmal. They look like they are taking the piss. Which they probably are. That can't really be the 'best' that the Four Vandals can perform?

Wheres the class and sophistication and downright cool?? Watch Don Bryant on The Beat!! for example, its so cool it actually hurts. That FV video just hurts the eyes.

Compare to the real deal....Eddie Hill performing Baby I Cried or The Radiants, Lou Rawls & The Four M's on The Beat!! ect.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

I have never heard anything by Van Morrison, and i,ve never been into Dave Bowie, but one of my workmates from the 70,s/80,s was mad on him. Anyway i won a raffle for a pair of tickets for the Bowie gig at Blingley Hall Stafford. Can,t remember year but i went with him on the back of his moterbike.

WENT TO THAT ONE.Can't remember year,when Heroes was released.

Eno on keyboards.BOOTSY COLLINS in the crowd.

Coach trip with old mucker Tats Taylor.Did'nt know Bowie had a motorbike!!!! :lol: .

Social source share

OMIGOD. I had completely forgotten how good it was. I only ever paid attention to the other side, and it was only the other side that made it to CD, and was on "Northern Soul 2004".

I'm actually stunned at how good it sounds. Thankyou for getting me to listen to it again. I owe you one. Bloody hell !!!!!!!!

ian you played the seven wonders on richards searling show when you were on that,

mark

Social source share

WENT TO THAT ONE.Can't remember year,when Heroes was released.

Eno on keyboards.BOOTSY COLLINS in the crowd.

Coach trip with old mucker Tats Taylor.Did'nt know Bowie had a motorbike!!!! :lol: .

:lol::D:wave: left myself wide open for that :yes:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Well blow me down! You're absolutely right - it's thinly disguised instrumental version of "Domino"! How weird. I bought it in Peterborough for a tenner in '75 completely unheard 'cos I liked the look of it but it's taken an SS post 33 years later to state the bleedin' obvious...... :lol:

Ian 'Cloth Ears' D :lol:

Heard Domino Many Times, but can't make the connection. Can someone post it up on refosoul please.

Still it only took 30 odd years to realise that Soul Symphony was the instrumental to Get Out Of My Heart, and even them it had to be pointed out! Doh :thumbsup::wub:

Paul

Social source share

We found most of the artists that I thought were important to find, but there were a few who never turned up. Chris Jackson,

Van McCoy's 1/2 sister cum adopted 5/16ths sister person Mattie (is that right ??) did actually find

Chris Jackson, she told me to steer clear of him as he was off his rocker...........................

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Van McCoy's 1/2 sister cum adopted 5/16ths sister person Mattie (is that right ??) did actually find

Chris Jackson, she told me to steer clear of him as he was off his rocker...........................

CJ still owes me a fiver that I lent him, outside Soul City, when he came over with the "Since There's No Doubt" tapes.

Given that I was only bringing home about eight quid back then, I reckon that's risen to at least £500.00 at today's rates.

Mr. Jackson, if by some chance you're reading this and want to buy me the James Phelps Apache 45 that's being offerd for auction on SS at the moment, we'll call it quits...

Social source share

Hi Ian,

A lot of the 70s records you and Colin pushed at the Mecca have really stood the test of time well and still continue to be popular today. However, your productions mostly try to emulate the typical mid 60s 4x4 sound. Do you not ever feel like you'd like to recreate the 70s Mecca sound?

Thanks

Dave

I have done loads of that too.

This is a perfect example. If you don't think these two songs sound like 1975/1976 Mecca, then I have failed in my purpose.

">
Social source share

Heard Domino Many Times, but can't make the connection. Can someone post it up on refosoul please.

Still it only took 30 odd years to realise that Soul Symphony was the instrumental to Get Out Of My Heart, and even them it had to be pointed out! Doh :thumbsup::lol:

Paul

Moses & Joshua? Great record.

I would never have made that connection.

Only M&J track on refo is My Elusive Dreams, another corker.

M

Social source share

Isn't that really what Ian was doing as a producer, in the 70s?

Well Twenty Four Hours A Day, Never Let Go, My Claim To Fame, and True Love Is My Destiny, were all HUGE disco hits in America in the Seventies. Three of those four were actually number ones on the Disco charts, and the Eastbound Expressway was actually an R&B hit as well as a Disco hit in 1978.

Social source share

That Four Vandals video is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. Are they dancing in someones garden?

Regardless of any concerns with the actual music itself, the presentation is abysmal. They look like they are taking the piss. Which they probably are. That can't really be the 'best' that the Four Vandals can perform?

Wheres the class and sophistication and downright cool?? Watch Don Bryant on The Beat!! for example, its so cool it actually hurts. That FV video just hurts the eyes.

Compare to the real deal....Eddie Hill performing Baby I Cried or The Radiants, Lou Rawls & The Four M's on The Beat!! ect.

It was filmed in the studio on the day we recorded it and the garden was just outside the studio door.

Look if you want me to make videos that look like they've cost fifty grand to make, then someone put up the money.

Otherwise, it is what it is.

As it happens, it's a lot of fun, and people with no agenda have loved it, especially on YouTube.

Social source share

Still it only took 30 odd years to realise that Soul Symphony was the instrumental to Get Out Of My Heart, and even them it had to be pointed out! Doh :thumbsup::lol:

Paul

What is "get out of my head" and who by?

Vocal to Soul Symphony?

P S I know now, never made the conection

Edited by davetay
Social source share

"Domino" sounds awful.

Don't tell me it was played at the Mecca :thumbsup::lol: - Blackpool folk & hippy club would have been more appropriate.

It was also played at the Torch, I'm told.

It's pure R&B, nowt to do with hippies or folk.

We'll have to agree to differ on this one amigo. :-)

M

Social source share

Paul

MOSES and Joshua Dillard - Sons Of MOSES.

Not a big secret.

Social source share

Mattie Taylor is actually Van McCoy's sister, full stop.

Social source share

Well Twenty Four Hours A Day, Never Let Go, My Claim To Fame, and True Love Is My Destiny, were all HUGE disco hits in America in the Seventies. Three of those four were actually number ones on the Disco charts, and the Eastbound Expressway was actually an R&B hit as well as a Disco hit in 1978.

Has L J Johnson,s 24 hrs a day ever been on a cd?

My 12 from the Angels days is f**ked.

Social source share

You've got it all wrong.

Billy Jackson said to steer clear of Chris Jackson (no relation) and that he was trouble.

And I know Dave Godin had lots of trouble with him.

But Van McCoy worked with Chris Bartley, but not Chris Jackson.

And no-one has ever explained how come "Since There's No Doubt" has the exact same backing track as The Total Eclipse, "You Took A Heart That Was Torn To Pieces".

Social source share

24 Hours a Day and My Claim to Fame are very good. The latter was on a Motor City tape I had with Liz Lands, Face to Face and Hattie Littles, Running a Fever on it. Also excellent. Lost the tape when I crashed a Mercury Mystique in about 2000. The car was a write off but Face to Face kept on playing.

Social source share

24 Hours a Day and My Claim to Fame are very good. The latter was on a Motor City tape I had with Liz Lands, Face to Face and Hattie Littles, Running a Fever on it. Also excellent. Lost the tape when I crashed a Mercury Mystique in about 2000. The car was a write off but Face to Face kept on playing.

"Face To Face With Love" was Barbara McNair, not Liz Lands.

Sorry to correct you.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And no-one has ever explained how come "Since There's No Doubt" has the exact same backing track as The Total Eclipse, "You Took A Heart That Was Torn To Pieces".

...or. for that matter, how come the B-side of the Total Eclipes (not a mistake - that's how it's spelt on the label!) 45 "A Love Like Yours" has the exact same backing track as the song that was supposed to be on the other side of "Since There's No Doubt", "We Must Be Together".

But that could be becuse hardly anyone has ever heard that side...

Social source share

No apology necessary. Excellent, nevertheless. Any chance of a link? So what did you do with Liz Lands?

Loads. Here's one, but the backing track is now much too electronic for me.

">
Social source share

...or. for that matter, how come the B-side of the Total Eclipes (not a mistake - that's how it's spelt on the label!) 45 "A Love Like Yours" has the exact same backing track as the song that was supposed to be on the other side of "Since There's No Doubt", "We Must Be Together".

But that could be becuse hardly anyone has ever heard that side...

I had no idea about that.

So after forty years I can still learn something.

So BOTH sides of the Total Eclipse had the same two backing tracks as both sides of the Chris Jackson.

Social source share

So what did you do with Liz Lands?

Marv Johnson used to obsess about Liz Lands endlessly.

She had the hairiest legs you have ever seen.

Marv, bless him used to say "a woman with hairy legs has fire in her soul". He pestered her a bit.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I had no idea about that.

So after forty years I can still learn something.

So BOTH sides of the Total Eclipse had the same two backing tracks as both sides of the Chris Jackson.

...spot on. Should also mention that the 'Marke' Jackson US issue of "I'll Never Forget You" on Jamie (which is an identical recording to the Soul City 45, just a fractionally different mix) says it's produced by Van McCoy - and if you listen to it, it obviously is, you can hear Van and Kendra clearly singing backing vocals.

So CJ obviously nicked the tape and passed it off as his own work to 'D The G'....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Marv Johnson used to obsess about Liz Lands endlessly.

She had the hairiest legs you have ever seen.

Marv, bless him used to say "a woman with hairy legs has fire in her soul". He pestered her a bit.

Thank you Ian - a wonderful anicdote , simply wonderful .........

Listening to a MJ record again will never be the same ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Ian,

During a football visit to Rotterdam in 1991, I came across 5 of your Motor City CD's for about a tenner.Two quid each, what a bargain I thought to quote your earlier comment.

To be honest, and having bought your Mecca then Record Shack material, I thought most of the tracks were too similar in terms of backing tracks, but two tracks really stood out for me:

This Man Needs You- CP Spencer and the excellent Technicolour- Billy Griffin which had a different( Marvin Gaye?) style to the other tracks.

Did you have any continental chart/dancefloor success with the Billy Griffin track?.

Steve

Social source share

This Man Needs You- CP Spencer and the excellent Technicolour- Billy Griffin which had a different( Marvin Gaye?) style to the other tracks.

Did you have any continental chart/dancefloor success with the Billy Griffin track?.

Steve

The C.P. Spencer is my favourite Motorcity track, but that's the newer version we did later.

The Billy Griffin was a huge cult classic with the Caister/Lacy Lady crowd, was championed by Chris Hill, and was one of the biggest ever records on Motorcity.

I posted the C.P. Spencer ages ago on here, but it won't hurt to repost it for you.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Steve

And here's the remake we did of Technicolour with a seventeen year old Michael Buble type singer.

">
Social source share

Thank you Ian - a wonderful anicdote , simply wonderful .........

Listening to a MJ record again will never be the same ......

Malc Burton

Marv Johnson was one of my dearest friends, and the most loyal artist I have ever had.

He was the very first artist to launch the entire Motown record company. His first single, "Come To Me", was the very first record on the Tamla label, in 1958, Tamla 101. Berry Gordy had no money to distribute it, so Berry and Marv went all round Detroit themselves, and sold the singles from out of their car boots. It started to create a local buzz in Detroit, and they couldn't afford to press and promote it, so they sold the rights to United Artists. The rest is history. This version of that very very first release on the Tamla label was one of the first things we cut for the Motorcity Project. I had dreamed of taking the very first Motown release and giving it a 1980s House Music flavour, and here it is. A piece of history. The original version, way way back in 1958, was of course a fair sized hit, but the follow up, "You Got What It Takes" made number one in the pop charts. Of course Berry had done a ridiculous deal, and they earned a mere pittance, but what pittance there was earned, was used to found the entire Motown operation, and for Berry's fiancee, Raynoma, to buy the house in West Grand Boulevard, which became Hitsville USA. It took Berry five years before he could get Marv away from United Artists, by which time, with huge hits from The Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas, Barrett Strong, and of course The Miracles, Marv got left behind and his career neglected. By the mid to late sixties, he was still recording at Motown, but to earn his keep, he'd been relegated to the job of janitor, a tragedy considering there would have been no Motown without Marv,. Marv lived to sing, loved to record for Motorcity, and out of all 108 former Motown artists that we recorded, he had to be the most loyal and the most grateful of all of them. He stayed at my house so many times, he did so many shows for us, both in England and in Detroit, and he was always so proud of having a career again in the limelight. "Come To Me" was one of his very first recordings for Motorcity, and we eventually did enough for two albums. Marv was always a gentleman, and always so appreciative for anything you might do for him. He was so excited to go on the Joan Rivers Show, the one with all the old Motown artists, and on it, he not only mentioned me, but particularly he thanked my Mother for all her support to keep Motorcity going. Then in 1993, Marv was on stage in Carolina with the Drifters, and he staggered oddly while on stage, fumbled his way to the side of the stage, and dropped dead of a burst blood vessell in his brain. He was singing one minute and dead the next. But if he could have chosen any way in the world to go, there is no way he would rather have gone than singing and performing live to an appreciative audience, right up to his last minute on this Earth.

">
Social source share

I have done loads of that too.

This is a perfect example. If you don't think these two songs sound like 1975/1976 Mecca, then I have failed in my purpose.

Thanks for putting them up. I preferred the second one to the first. However, it's not the same in my view. You can't recreate the original records made at the time, that were designed to sell, without any awareness of a soul scene in the UK. Also, they didn't sound dramitically different to your other productions. A lot of the mid 70s Mecca stuff had strings and things.

Social source share

Thanks for them and the info surrounding Technicolour. Prefer the original but still a good version.

Steve

I wish I had a video of Billy Griffin singing the original, but I don't.

And Billy Griffin raved about this guy and posted on YouTube to encourage him, and although Billy's version is a classic, the vocal style and the arrangement are actually very similar.

Social source share

Thanks for putting them up. I preferred the second one to the first. However, it's not the same in my view. You can't recreate the original records made at the time, that were designed to sell, without any awareness of a soul scene in the UK. Also, they didn't sound dramitically different to your other productions. A lot of the mid 70s Mecca stuff had strings and things.

Well one was influenced by "Dreaming A Dream" and the other by "Tow Away Zone". Just a mild influence and a homage, but I thought you might have realised that.

Social source share