Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Pete, 00,s dancers are always gonna go above your head, the same way Reggae does to me.

I thought it was from the 70's so well done to them for creating an authentic 70's sound, but what I mean is that that type of 70's, 80's whatever sound is exactly what I hate, as opposed to many of the other 70's records which I love (The Nights, Norma Jenkins and so on). Different type of beat I suppose.

n.b. a lot of reggae goes way way over my head too, I cannot understand how anyone white British people can relate to roots reggae at all

Social source share

To get a different perspective on this thread, is it not a bit like a Football fan going to a Sportsman's Dinner to hear the memoirs of a 'Nobby Styles' or a 'Denis Law'?

Sean

Erm, no I'm not sure it is quite the same.

Whenever I've attended a sportsman's dinner the invited speaker has tended to tell entertaining anecdotes for about 45 minutes, and then sit down before the stories become dull.

This thread has become more like a few pensioners spending every afternoon at the day centre talking wistfully about their youth whilst playing dominoes. One old boy remembers more than the others, although he sometimes struggles to remember what he had for breakfast that day, but in time the subject matter has become of limited interest to those who are not sitting round that table.

Social source share

Whenever I've attended a sportsman's dinner the invited speaker has tended to tell entertaining anecdotes for about 45 minutes, and then sit down before the stories become dull.

This thread has become more like a few pensioners spending every afternoon at the day centre talking wistfully about their youth whilst playing dominoes. One old boy remembers more than the others, although he sometimes struggles to remember what he had for breakfast that day, but in time the subject matter has become of limited interest to those who are not sitting round that table.

To be honest, the record/artist stories are generally limited to one line answers. Possibly because anymore will shift the emphasis onto the record/artist rather than IL. Who is the focal point of this thread after all. Much more info on Ians own music though and we got plenty of info in the answers to JT's "private life" questions.

Social source share

To be honest, the record/artist stories are generally limited to one line answers.

That's neither true nor fair.

I told loads of great classic stories, about Picnic In The Park in Upstate New York, about Mairzy Doats, about moving from the Mecca to The Torch, about Goodwill, about how much we got paid, about the Miracles alldayer, about visiting the Wheel, about Simon Soussan.

You're really not being fair.

Social source share

To get a different perspective on this thread, is it not a bit like a Football fan going to a Sportsman's Dinner to hear the memoirs of a 'Nobby Styles' or a 'Denis Law'?

Nothing wrong in giving an old major player or 'early influencer' a bit of air time, to answer questions on the past, either as a bit of nostalgia for those who were old enough to be around at the time, or as an insight into the early days for those who weren't.

Sure, things have moved on and I dont imagine that Fergie will be giving Styles or a Law a run out this weekend... but I guess they'll still be making a couple of bob on the speakers circuit... and why not?

If Ian uses the word 'I' or 'me' to a great extent... it's because this is HIS thread. It's about HIM and his involvement with the scene.

If I go to listen to an old Footy player, I expect him talk about himself and his own experiences and recollections. That's what I'm there for!

I guess, 20+ years from now, the Beckham's and Rooney's may well be doing the same... and along with this some of the wannabes and wilbes may have their own Soul Source thread's where, if we're still around, we can read about their successes, trials, tribulations and memories.

Meanwhile, of course, if you don't want to hear about our earlier days, from one of the key players at the time, then simply don't go to the Dinner!

Sean

I thought this was all well said and reasonably put.

Social source share

That's neither true nor fair.

I told loads of great classic stories, about Picnic In The Park in Upstate New York, about Mairzy Doats, about moving from the Mecca to The Torch, about Goodwill, about how much we got paid, about the Miracles alldayer, about visiting the Wheel, about Simon Soussan.

You're really not being fair.[/quote]

You're right Ian. It would have been much fairer of me to say "a lot of" rather than inferring "all". And of course imo. I just expected more detail on the record hunting trips, 20 copies of this, 10 of that, found this here etc etc.

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest chartertime

So have I, along with about fifty good internal shots of the Mecca & Ritz from 1974 to 1977, taken by Trevor Groves. Also a Blackpool Mecca

blazer badge made from wire (Not unlike your Avatar) Regarding the Magnetics on Bonnie, Colin bought it off Bob Foster @ the end of the summer of 1976, he came down to buy it after Bob took it to Sale Mecca the previous thursday. Whether he ever played it at the Mecca I dont know but I remember vividly the day he bought it, which is a story in itself ! Regarding the photo's all the "usual suspects" are on them Ian Levine, Jack Bollington,

Shelvo, Carol, Richard Watt, Mike Ritson, myself, Ric Tic, Colin Curtis, pus shots of the dance floor @ both the Ritz & Mecca (including Ian & Carol Jiving) etc etc.

I'll have to dig them out and I MIGHT put up a few on here............if anybodys Interested. :wicked:

Best regards Ritchie. :rolleyes:

Love to see some old photos of the Mecca - sooner the better - any old tapes- can swop for some exclusive Cds of Curtis /Levine live Carlton Club July 74 & Mecca (not the Mdd one)

Social source share

That's another reasonable analogy Dave, but, surely, the same applies. If the conversation at that table is of no interest then one shouldn't need to get involved or interrupt.

Especially if it's, as you put it, a Domino school at someone else's table.

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

Love to see some old photos of the Mecca - sooner the better - any old tapes- can swop for some exclusive Cds of Curtis /Levine live Carlton Club July 74 & Mecca (not the Mdd one)

I did put one Mecca tape up on this thread. Nobody commented on it so I haven't done any more

Social source share

That's another reasonable analogy Dave, but, surely, the same applies. If the conversation at that table is of no interest then one shouldn't need to get involved or interrupt.

Sean

We used to play a Van Morrison record called "Domino"

Social source share

Sean

Was just commenting Sean, didn't intend to interrupt. In fact I doubt if you could, though somebody will have to when it's tea-time... boil-in-the bag cod tonight, I believe. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

Oh don't be like that Timmy.

I'm a massive fan of yours. I would have stopped buying Viz years ago if it wasn't for your hilarious antics.

Social source share

I like all the old stories myself, the 70s must have been the best time to grow up...everything nowadays is so disposable :rolleyes:

Social source share

Judy Moss went to the Wheel, Mecca, Torch, Wigan, and was at Kev Robert's big do in Derby last year that me and Gav went to.

She was very buddy-buddy with Bruce & Hughie, she came down to Weybridge for Bruce's 50th

married to Glen nowadays meethinks !!! Last saw her at Stoke last new years Stoke bash in 2006/7.

Social source share

name='chartertime' date='Aug 28 08, 07:42 PM' post='853727']

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

I'm not sure the quantity discovered down south was that great but there were only a handful of people searching

circa 72-ish, that'd be Mick Smith & Clive Everet, Ken Rowlands & Nigel Martin, probably Ady although I don't

remember much more than a scruffy parka and clapped out scooter, Tony Rounce for sure albeit via Record

Corner I suspect, Dave Rivers & Dave Burton me a bit and perhaps about 3 or 4 others. Thing was at least one of us

could bring a new sound to the Torch every 14 days and invariably did.

What did happen was that if a record was being sought, Ski-ing in the snow comes to mind, bet was you could

find it quicker in London than anywhere else in the UK. I once stopped at a petrol station on the South Circular

saw a junk shop, went in and came out with a Darrell Banks on Atco, 4 Pros & Bobby Reed on Loma within about

10 minutes.

Chris L

Yes to the clapped out scooter, i had it for about three months. No to the parka, gimme a break. Don't forget Nick Washer who turned up loads, some of which went through Mike Ritson and a little bit later came Clarkie who was major.

Social source share

Yes to the clapped out scooter, i had it for about three months. No to the parka, gimme a break. Don't forget Nick Washer who turned up loads, some of which went through Mike Ritson and a little bit later came Clarkie who was major.

Thursday evening at the Hampstead Birds Nest for a "sound check" if any good head off up norf,

sorry about the parka, but I do remember some sort of jacket type thing and of course Dave Rivers famous green leather boots, freckling jeckling, they were straight out of an episode of Robin Hood.

Anyway.............Burton of course worked in a record shop (was it Harlequin ?)and used to get all

sorts of stuff the most financial rewarding was the trunk brought by a Jamaican bloke amongst others

was the 1st copy of Crazy baby, etc........................

Social source share

:(:D Funniest thing on here so far today, and that is saying something

Must admit guys it has gone a bit dull, need to up the ante, thought there would be more real stories and less Chris L parody of Ian L. and Ian D stories of his long lost sex Life tongue.gif

Must come back and ask more about the disco house connection, or lack of it, must admit don't really get why that didn't float your boat.

Hearing things like Fantastic Jades being played in 1973 is fascinating, but how about some stories of where you found them etc,

Social source share

Must admit guys it has gone a bit dull, need to up the ante, thought there would be more real stories

Yeah jocko, think some came on here just to wind up Ian Levine (very easy - not sport), and they've lost interest.

Others just want to talk about minutae from the early 70s etc. who shagged who on 13/12/1971 etc.

Others are just swooning

Ian just wants to talk about himself, and appears to be losing interest by the day.

Very little in the way of real stories going on - either records or artists. There is some great stuff to tell too.

Very little debate going on either.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yeah jocko, think some came on here just to wind up Ian Levine (very easy - not sport), and they've lost interest.

Others just want to talk about minutae from the early 70s etc. who shagged who on 13/12/1971 etc.

Others are just swooning

Ian just wants to talk about himself, and appears to be losing interest by the day.

Very little in the way of real stories going on - either records or artists. There is some great stuff to tell too.

Very little debate going on either.

==

fun while it lasted i suppose??

incredible thread tho!

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Hi Ian thouroughly enjoying this topic and would like to add a couple of things. I went to the Mecca as a punter, bouncer and Dj, I worked with Billy the Kid in the main room and we played 'Under My Thumb' and The Javells so they were played at Blackpool Mecca! Me and Billy also worked Friday and Saturday at Sale Blue Room and the manager was Tom West (RIP). I don't think promoters and managers of venues get enough credit. In fact I worked in the Highland Room when it changed to a pop venue in early 1973 this was short lived and Tom West decided to return it Northern Soul and the rest is history. Regarding the Welcome Inn the landlord there now is Bob Smith who used to drive Tony Jebb and myself to the Torch in his Ford Anglia! What ever people say you have been responsible for discovering more Northern Soul records than anybody and for that I am and everybody should be thankfiul.

Incidentally I still own the badge which is my avitar.

Keep up the Good Work.

Social source share

One thing which hasn't been discussed on here so far, is when Ian sold up his first collection sometime in the late 70's I think. I know a trail of people went over to Blackpool and bought plenty of records from him.

I went with Pat Brady and I can remember buying "Look At Me Now" - Terry Callier and "Grooviest Thing This Side Of Heaven" - Wendell Watts and Pat got "Strange Change" - Herb Ward amongst others - this was before they were generally known. I'm just curious what else he sold at the time which then went on to become big.

Also what was in that huge stash that he sold Bernie Golding? Did anything come from Bernie which has since gone big?

It's this kind of stuff that I like on a thread like this. What were the records and where did they go?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

One thing which hasn't been discussed on here so far, is when Ian sold up his first collection sometime in the late 70's I think. I know a trail of people went over to Blackpool and bought plenty of records from him.

I went with Pat Brady and I can remember buying "Look At Me Now" - Terry Callier and "Grooviest Thing This Side Of Heaven" - Wendell Watts and Pat got "Strange Change" - Herb Ward amongst others - this was before they were generally known. I'm just curious what else he sold at the time which then went on to become big.

Also what was in that huge stash that he sold Bernie Golding? Did anything come from Bernie which has since gone big?

It's this kind of stuff that I like on a thread like this. What were the records and where did they go?

Ian D biggrin.gif

I do know that Bernie had 4 or 5 white USA demos of the Shadows "My Love Is Gone" when Richard still had it covered as Jimmy Georgetowns "Stars Above" because I got one.

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Lots and lots I thought Guy and Keb pretty much went right through it, unfortunately Iain is now gonna come along and say it was all crap because it was played in the 80's and Chris L will do his best nodding dog impersonation and say they weren't played the 3 weeks of 1973 which is the only time that counts.

Prove me wrong chaps and talk objectively about this, its a great question Iain, and without a mention of your sex life, wow, :(:D

Social source share

I do know that Bernie had 4 or 5 white USA demos of the Shadows "My Love Is Gone" when Richard still had it covered as Jimmy Georgetowns "Stars Above" because I got one.

Oops you beat me to it Steve, he had 4 or 5 USA, but did he not have it on another label which at the time noone had heard of???

Might try and get Guy's side to to this.

Gnight all, Im off.

Social source share

Lots and lots I thought Guy and Keb pretty much went right through it, unfortunately Iain is now gonna come along and say it was all crap because it was played in the 80's and Chris L will do his best nodding dog impersonation and say they weren't played the 3 weeks of 1973 which is the only time that counts.

Prove me wrong chaps and talk objectively about this, its a great question Iain, and without a mention of your sex life, wow, biggrin.gif:(

I made a special effort Jocko!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Oops you beat me to it Steve, he had 4 or 5 USA, but did he not have it on another label which at the time noone had heard of???

Might try and get Guy's side to to this.

Gnight all, Im off.

He did tell me about that, but I believe he had already sold it. And couldn't remember the label tongue.gif

As you said, Keb and Guy had spent sometime going through the haul and Bernie wasn't to bothered about hauling records over to South Yorkshire. Tins of lager yes, but not vinyl.

Social source share

I made a special effort Jocko!

Ian D biggrin.gif

I was being serious about the question (if not your sex life :( ), it is one of the best ones for a while on here.

As an aside when I met Bernie at Guys again, I hadn't seen him for many years, and only got to know him via Richard and their SAS do's, not knowing just what a history Bernie had, at the time he had invited me to the Barn for a look at the records, and I thought he was probably bumming the find up, when I found out who he really was and what he sat on for years after I kept telling everyone how I could have been first in that stash, when I repeated this story to him at Guys, he said you are about the 100th person to have said that!!! So maybe I didn't have a near miss after all.

Another question did somebody not put a list of Iains records out before Bernie got the rest, things like Frankie Beverley Fairmount for seriously cheap amounts, 100's of us spent days phoning and got nothing, was that Mr Levines records?? I remember the colour of the list but not who sent it out bizarrely, although a name Ian Stewart for some reason comes to mind. Anyone clear up this boggled mind?

Social source share

I was being serious about the question (if not your sex life biggrin.gif ), it is one of the best ones for a while on here.

As an aside when I met Bernie at Guys again, I hadn't seen him for many years, and only got to know him via Richard and their SAS do's, not knowing just what a history Bernie had, at the time he had invited me to the Barn for a look at the records, and I thought he was probably bumming the find up, when I found out who he really was and what he sat on for years after I kept telling everyone how I could have been first in that stash, when I repeated this story to him at Guys, he said you are about the 100th person to have said that!!! So maybe I didn't have a near miss after all.

Another question did somebody not put a list of Iains records out before Bernie got the rest, things like Frankie Beverley Fairmount for seriously cheap amounts, 100's of us spent days phoning and got nothing, was that Mr Levines records?? I remember the colour of the list but not who sent it out bizarrely, although a name Ian Stewart for some reason comes to mind. Anyone clear up this boggled mind?

The stories of Bernie's barn are becoming almost legendary. I gather the barn was in a state of disrepair and virtually falling apart but with 40,000 records there. Seems an odd place to store a major haul of records if that is the case..........

Ian D :(

Social source share