Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

whether he and a few others playing in their bedrooms off a Myspace page is worth much in the grand scheme of things is debatable though. But that's not the point.

No not compared to your humble self "in the grand scheme of things", who clearly is the most important thing to happen to the northern scene since The Snake got reissued again.

Lets take the bating of Ian on this thread, somehow you believe that by bringing him down a step or two you somehow feel you have gained a few steps up the "northern ladder".

What you can't and never will understand is most of the good djs collect the records and dj them because they like them and want to share them. You do it for the love and adulation and respect you are craving. You really remind me of sociopath nature of Patrick Bateman repeating reviews of huey lewis and genisis records. Emulating but never really understanding, feeling or apreciating any of it. The love and adulation you are seeking is not at the end of the "souly rainbow" and EVEN if you became the next butch/sam or whoever you love this week (which is not very likley) i think you would end up feeling disapointed.

Social source share

Hi Dave, I'm not sure? I know a Maureen from Skipton, Which is near, If you could put a surname to her? Anyhow I'm sure the Vel-Vets was a reasonable price, From memory it was an issue, I had demo and issue, Demo off Bradford market, Issue I believe a swap, What part of the country are you in?

Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy, No not the Maureen from Skipton i know her well.

Sorry never got a surname.

Yes it was an issue.

I am from Accrington, wife,s from Bradford.

Dave.

Social source share

Hi Andy, No not the Maureen from Skipton i know her well.

Sorry never got a surname.

Yes it was an issue.

I am from Accrington, wife,s from Bradford.

Dave.

Well not far at all then! Your in "LEGS" town! Yeah Jill and Maureen Unwin from Skipton, I used to knock about with them, Along with John Bollen, And Brenda "Beanie" From Hellifield and her sister who's name I forget, Flipping 'Eck seems a while now!

Andy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hey Ian, if you venture outside of this topic you'll see that venicia Wilson is being discussed in the Look At Your Box section

Great tune. It kinda got lost beside all the nonesense about the 'other' track at that time.

Social source share

Well not far at all then! Your in "LEGS" town! Yeah Jill and Maureen Unwin from Skipton, I used to knock about with them, Along with John Bollen, And Brenda "Beanie" From Hellifield and her sister who's name I forget, Flipping 'Eck seems a while now!

Andy.

Yea Legs lives in the Lakes somewhere now, he lives with some Lord,s Daughter.

(doing ok thanks) :lol:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Paul

Feel free to furnish us with a list of your musical discoveries if you wish. The statement that you don't listen to ANY music from the Mecca period seems rather dubious.

Derek

Theres a difference here, do you mean discovered, as in a warehouse, or broken, as in consistently persevered with for a few years until people get around to listening. I remember Levine throwing things on the deck in a thirst to be the FIRST!(he had the money to!) But, I remember more the people who actually stuck with and broke records onto the scene. I 'listened' to Mecca stuff, dont now! So you can feel as dubious as you want mate! Wasn't aware that Levine was the only one playing new stuff there? Were there not other dj's of any note? :lol: Its like saying Winstanley was responsible for ALL the wigan tunes. THATS DUBIOUS?!

If you want tunes ive stuck with and helped break or remind people of, heres a few. :( I would never say I discovered anything, as there is always someone who heard it before you. :P Only the Ian 'Ravine' would make such claims.

Jonathon Capree - Gonna Build Me A Mountain

Sitty & James - (covered as Gwen & Ray)

Frontiersman of the galaxy - James Monroe

Ghetto Love - Bethea the Maskman

Early Clover & the Georgia Soul Drifters - Think It Over

Kool Blues - Can We Try Love

Paul Burton - So Very Hard To Make It

Soul Injection - Stay Of The Moon

Leonard Adair - That Smile Upon Your Face

Little Sampson - Dont Take Your Love From me

Unless you play tunes out and about, believe in them and dance to them, it matters not a f--k who discovered it. Columbus discovered lots of stuff and now its ALL f--ked up. :lol:

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Whenever it's been in the media focus though it's always had the Hand Baggers. Back at Wigan - loads of passing trade that jumped on the bandwagon.

Thing is now northern soul means many different things to different people and the whole thing has become very fragmented.- upfront 60s / 70s newies, oldies, R&B / R&R, Top 500, some of the funkier things,

...........and Steve, don't forget Mamsey Pamsey :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Theres a difference here, do you mean discovered, as in a warehouse, or broken, as in consistently persevered with for a few years until people get around to listening. I remember Levine throwing things on the deck in a thirst to be the FIRST!(he had the money to!) But, I remember more the people who actually stuck with and broke records onto the scene. I 'listened' to Mecca stuff, dont now! So you can feel as dubious as you want mate! Wasn't aware that Levine was the only one playing new stuff there? Were there not other dj's of any note? :lol: Its like saying Winstanley was responsible for ALL the wigan tunes. THATS DUBIOUS?!

If you want tunes ive stuck with and helped break or remind people of, heres a few. :( I would never say I discovered anything, as there is always someone who heard it before you. :P Only the Ian 'Ravine' would make such claims.

Unless you play tunes out and about, believe in them and dance to them, it matters not a f--k who discovered it. Columbus discovered lots of stuff and now its ALL f--ked up. :lol:

Whether Columbus discovered much is very much open question. He thought he was in Japan for a start & didn't actually reach the continent. That accolade goes to John Cabot, an Italian navigator sponsored by Henry VII. As far as it being fecked up, Costa Rica, Chile & Argentina are very nice places indeed.

Social source share

Hello Ian

Did you ever decide if Paul Esmond Hazel - Back to Basics B/W Ebony Allene Mr Magic Man would be released as a 7" at some point,,, i asked ya some time back

Nige b

I would love to but unless someone else wants to foot the bill, I simply can't afford to press them.

The Angelo Starr, Vanessa Haynes, and Gerod Harris sevens didn't cover their pressing costs. This is because the Northern Scene waits till they're deleted before they get behind them. It took over five years with Sidney Barnes.

And as a matter of artistic pride, I will never allow a seven inch to couple two different artists back to back. That's an anaethma to me.

You wanna pay to press them up, you can have a world exclusive.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

The retro rare soul scene is moving on, northern soul is constantly changing, and he can't understand it.

And that, I'm afraid, is about the truth of it.

Where is it moving to ? The Congo hopefully, what a garbage statement. NS is constantly changing !! from

what into what ?? From a kangeroo to bag of fish & chips !!! Most of the decent NS sounds were discovered

long ago, all the producers, writers & arrangers have had the "NS fan visit" not much there, the majority of

the "new finds" are crap, take that Margaret Little, things have gotten so bad there's a massive strain of

Emperors New Clothes Itus going around, hyped up shytte, wouldn't made it to the dustbin when men were

men, etc.

Yikes, if Northern Souls future rests with the chinstrokers raving about some cha-cha record then Ken Livingstone

help us all. :lol:

Chris L

Social source share

...Well except there have always been strong rumours circulating about him beating up on Tammi Terrell repeatedly before the night she collapsed with her brain tumour..

Maurice King told me the whole story.

He was Motown's musical director, dead now.

Tammi never had a brain tumour according to him. He said David hit her over the head and knocked her down the stairs. I'm not sure I should be discussing this.

Social source share

Whether Columbus discovered much is very much open question. He thought he was in Japan for a start & didn't actually reach the continent. That accolade goes to John Cabot, an Italian navigator sponsored by Henry VII. As far as it being fecked up, Costa Rica, Chile & Argentina are very nice places indeed.

Now thats a proper thread, Ive learnt something of socio/historic importance. Unlike the previous drivel. Thanks Macca :lol:

Social source share

I am going to "out Levine" Levine now but this post is PURE B*LLOCKS Simon. All of the recent series have made GREAT TV.

Wow.

I 100% agree with Steve Guarnori.

Amazing.

Social source share

I think Fryer's post and his attitude has actually come closer to understanding Levine's dark workings than he intended.

The King's Go Forth record, how could that have possibly been discovered? It was made a few months ago, recorded in a garage straight onto an Apple Mac computer and distributed around the world via a social networking site. And of course, Fryer is right to point this out, whether he and a few others playing in their bedrooms off a Myspace page is worth much in the grand scheme of things is debatable though. But that's not the point.

The soul scene in this country, often rightly so, places so much importance on the DJ who plays the records that they forget the truth is these records were actually made by a band.

And this is the secret to Levine's drive. As can be seen in his desire to be part of actually making Dr Who episodes, and in his very recent posts on this thread as well.

Like his early confused lust with The Prefect and the feeling of satisfaction it gave him to have things The Prefect wanted, I believe he has realised that to only truely achieve the satisfaction his megalomaniac ego craves is not jsut to have something that those he lusts after want from him, but to actually become the thing they want and are obsessed about.

Because, like the Kings Go Forth, the only people who truely deserve full recognition are the band themselves.

I'm starting to worry that those making this Souled Out film have consulted Levine and are concidering putting his crap that he is producing into the film, which is why Levine has surfaced now. It's his final attempt to achieve immortality by actually becoming 'northern soul' in a film that will last forever...

This is scary, because Levine's production are about as far removed today from the northern soul scene as is possibly imaginable.

The retro rare soul scene is moving on, northern soul is constantly changing, and he can't understand it. The Kings Go Forth, Sharon Jones, Timmion, they are all achieving what Levine wants but can't get. And he's jealous, and he's desperate to get in this film with that crap he has been posting up on this thread.

In much the same way he has tried to become part of Doctor Who.

And that, I'm afraid, is about the truth of it.

"You are 100% forever and irrevocably ignoring this user, and there will be no more discussion with him".

Social source share

It scares me Ian that you either totally misunderstand Simon's point, or you would deliberately pretend to misunderstand.

But as I said on another thread, your position is poles apart from mine (and possibly Mr B's).

Neither is right, as the best place to be is probably somewhere in the middle.

I will never ever understand, or try to understand why anyone would want Northern Soul to be a mainstream music. Well two reasons, to make money or to inflate ones personal perception of their own importance.

Neither sit happily to my way of thinking.

The music will carry on. People will always have the desire to seek out different stuff, not in the mainstream (of all musical genres). Bringing Linda Jones into the bedrooms of prepubescent school kids, and their parents is IMO the surest way to give it its 5 minutes of fame, before meltdown.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because the closed minds are killing its future.

Social source share

My question is why single out Sam for this criticism?

Because if anyone else cleared the floor they rushed something like The Four Perfections (another one that came in that 4000), onto the decks ASAP, and pulled it back immediately.

Sam just continued to play another obscure unknown, not even looking at the floor, as he picked some choice favourite of his, out of his record box, leisurely..

Social source share

What you can't and never will understand is most of the good djs collect the records and dj them because they like them and want to share them. You do it for the love and adulation and respect you are craving. You really remind me of sociopath nature of Patrick Bateman repeating reviews of huey lewis and genisis records. Emulating but never really understanding, feeling or apreciating any of it. The love and adulation you are seeking is not at the end of the "souly rainbow" and EVEN if you became the next butch/sam or whoever you love this week (which is not very likley) i think you would end up feeling disapointed.

Oooooooooooo that was good.

Better than I could have done.

Social source share

I only know two of these and they were rubbish.

Smiffy - someone whose opinion I trust - what are the other eight like ???

Social source share

i know you was ian, i just usd it as an oppurtunity to give you an aid memoir about your other forum bud.

I have been on it every day Lee.

I could understand you moaning if I'd been away for a week, but I haven't.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Oooooooooooo that was good.

Better than I could have done.

See, told you to head over to the funk board, much more effective than those mates of yours you got to send threats to me, promising that I would be dealt with :rolleyes:

Social source share

Most of the decent NS sounds were discovered long ago, all the producers, writers & arrangers have had the "NS fan visit" not much there, the majority of the "new finds" are crap, take that Margaret Little, things have gotten so bad there's a massive strain of Emperors New Clothes Itus going around, hyped up shytte, wouldn't made it to the dustbin when men were men, etc.

Abso-phucking-lutely.

Social source share

I only know two of these and they were rubbish.

Smiffy - someone whose opinion I trust - what are the other eight like ???

I've only heard two of them (Capree, Kool Blues) and I don't think much of them.

Can't comment on the rest, newies take amlong time to reach the Midlands.

Social source share

See, told you to head over to the funk board, much more effective than those mates of yours you got to send threats to me, promising that I would be dealt with :rolleyes:

"You are falling asleep from this user"

Social source share

Now thats a proper thread, Ive learnt something of socio/historic importance. Unlike the previous drivel. Thanks Macca :rolleyes:

You're welcome Paul. It was meant to be light-hearted.

M

p.s. Buenos Aires really is a wonderful place by the way. Fab grill houses & lovely chics :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Where is it moving to ? The Congo hopefully, what a garbage statement. NS is constantly changing !! from

what into what ?? From a kangeroo to bag of fish & chips !!! Most of the decent NS sounds were discovered

long ago, all the producers, writers & arrangers have had the "NS fan visit" not much there, the majority of

the "new finds" are crap, take that Margaret Little, things have gotten so bad there's a massive strain of

Emperors New Clothes Itus going around, hyped up shytte, wouldn't made it to the dustbin when men were

men, etc.

Yikes, if Northern Souls future rests with the chinstrokers raving about some cha-cha record then Ken Livingstone

help us all. :rolleyes:

Chris L

Chris.

I will take as many of those Margaret Little's as you can get me Chris.

Whether the monetary value of the disc is £1 or £1000, the tune is as rare in quality as any played on the Soul Scene, ever IMO.

Social source share

I think that the Margaret Little vocal is rather suspect, but musically it wouldn't have been out of place in 1973, would it?

It's not good enough to have ben played in 1973. No way.

Social source share

It's not good enough to have ben played in 1973. No way.

I think if you hear a really good recording of it you might change your mind, Love Will Find A Way side anyway - Popcorn Wylie production, bound to be Motown musicians moonlighting, what more could anyone ask? It's not the greatest record ever but it's certainly good enough to have gained plays at any time. In my opinion.

Social source share

Agreed Steve. I've seen Ian clear the floor a few times too - "Soul Improvisations" at Wigan I seem to remember, even though it's the greatest instrumental ever. If you're breaking 'never heard before records' you have to take risks otherwise you'd become mundane and safe. Most new Northern records clear the floor a few times until they get heard and Ian knows that.

I don't think him and Sam get on though LOL........

Ian D :lol:

haha,,, :rolleyes: , well IAN D,what year.........not '73 was it? :rolleyes:

Social source share

there's always someone,un-named,and unknown in the Northern Soul Crow's Nest.

"Cap'n,land ahoy!!",said the un-named,unknown chap in the Crow's Nest.

"Thanks very much",said the Captain.

Social source share

there's always someone,un-named,and unknown in the Northern Soul Crow's Nest.

"Cap'n,land ahoy!!",said the un-named,unknown chap in the Crow's Nest.

"Thanks very much",said the Captain.

Did you know that one of the names for crow's nest on a sailing ship in Spanish is carajo which is also slang for penis? Funny old world...

Social source share

Did you know that one of the names for crow's nest on a sailing ship in Spanish is carajo which is also slang for penis? Funny old world...

if they fell out of the carajo,there would be seamen in the rigging,fnarr,fnarr :rolleyes: .

Sorry only slighty off topic.

Social source share

I think if you hear a really good recording of it you might change your mind, Love Will Find A Way side anyway - Popcorn Wylie production, bound to be Motown musicians moonlighting, what more could anyone ask? It's not the greatest record ever but it's certainly good enough to have gained plays at any time. In my opinion.

I Agree with you pete , Ian of course this could have been played ANYTIME !

Social source share

Maurice King told me the whole story.

He was Motown's musical director, dead now.

Tammi never had a brain tumour according to him. He said David hit her over the head and knocked her down the stairs. I'm not sure I should be discussing this.

That's exactly what I heard from a different source. And I bet 90% of people didn't know that story.

Social source share