Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

the montclairs and the carstair imo were no where near as groud breaking as Bobby Franklin. They were an extension to a number of mid tempo records that were becoming more acceptable via the late days at the Totch and Va Va's.

Bobby Patterson My Babys coming back to you is no different imo to the carstirs or the montclairs.

My wife and I were at the Mecca the night Bobby Franklin was played for the first time, the look on peoples faces was one of shock :D followed by "go on my son" :lol:

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

the montclairs and the carstair imo were no where near as groud breaking as Bobby Franklin. They were an extension to a number of mid tempo records that were becoming more acceptable via the late days at the Totch and Va Va's.

Bobby Patterson My Babys coming back to you is no different imo to the carstirs or the montclairs.

My wife and I were at the Mecca the night Bobby Franklin was played for the first time, the look on peoples faces was one of shock :D followed by "go on my son" :lol:

I really like Bobby Franklin!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

One for the dancers.

I didn't realise how many things you were involved in Ian. Quite a career!

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

same look of shock when "Hip it" and "Summer in the parks" was played? :lol: .

Earlier Ian,you said Patti Jo "MMBIY" was a big play in '74,now that was very different to what was being played .Pity i can''t remember it then :lol: .Apart from the LP release.

Social source share

same look of shock when "Hip it" and "Summer in the parks" was played? :lol: .

Earlier Ian,you said Patti Jo "MMBIY" was a big play in '74,now that was very different to what was being played .Pity i can''t remember it then :D .Apart from the LP release.

Summer In The Parks is brilliant too. One of my favourite Wigan records.

Social source share

I don't recall ANY records sounding like the Carstairs and Montclairs @ the Torch and Va-Va's. What I heard were monster frenetic stompers and hardly any mid-tempo floaty things..........

Also disagree totally on "My Baby's Coming Back To Me" which I always saw as a 60's mid-tempo good-time tune but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the Carstairs or Montclairs production-wise. Different decades for a start surely?

I agree that Bobby Franklin was ground-breaking - I never particularly liked it though - too funky for me LOL....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Ladies Choice, Music Maker and Shake "n" Bump I remember Ian on the mike telling everbody that these are not funk records they are Northern.

Alot of people at the time didn,t agree, but i liked them.

I didn,t like the Rimshots "Do what you feel" or Andre Maurice "You,re the cream of the chop"

I still don,t like Andre Maurice but the Rimshots grew on me over the years.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

i really like it,pt2 sounds good,,whistles and stuff.......but W*gan? :D

Thats where I first heard it, I never went to the Mecca except for an alldayer, never went to Cleethorpes or St Ives, was only ever interested in going to Wigan and couldn't bear to miss a week to be honest

Social source share

And there you go again, so interested in hits, clicks and how many people are looking at you.

So, are you going to let me ask some questions, Ian? Let me probe that fascinating mind of yours. Let's have a look at it's inner workings and find out what drives the Ian Levine Hit Machine...

If you want me to answer YOUR questions then I will do so gladly on facebook where no-one else can read what I say.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

One for the dancers.

I didn't realise how many things you were involved in Ian. Quite a career!

The buzzard told the monkey "You're chokin' me

"Release your hold and I'll set you free"

The monkey looked the buzzard right dead in the eye And said

"Your story's touchin', but it sounds like a lie

Straighten up and fly right

Steve J

Social source share

Ladies Choice, Music Maker and Shake "n" Bump I remember Ian on the mike telling everbody that these are not funk records they are Northen.

I didn,t like the Rimshots "Do what you feel" or Andre Maurice "You,re the cream of the chop"

I don,t like Andre Maurice but the Rimshots grew on me over the years.

crikey forgot all about King Sporty.Does it still sound "Northern"?

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I agree that Bobby Franklin was ground-breaking - I never particularly liked it though - too funky for me LOL....

Ian D :D

How about "The Crow" where did that come from ??

Social source share

Ladies Choice, Music Maker and Shake "n" Bump I remember Ian on the mike telling everbody that these are not funk records they are Northen.

I don,t like Andre Maurice but the Rimshots grew on me over the years.

All bold choices whether we like 'em or not. Didn't like "Shake N Bump", "Ladies Choice", "You're The Cream Of The Crop" but curiously I do like "Music Maker" and "Do What You Feel".

And it's fair to say that nowhere other than the Mecca would have played these at the time..........

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What the hell has that got to do with this thread ??????????

I was doing further study on your career. Just saying it's amazing how much stuff you were involved in. This is the Ian Levine thread isn't it?

Social source share

Earlier Ian,you said Patti Jo "MMBIY" was a big play in '74,now that was very different to what was being played .Pity i can''t remember it then :D .Apart from the LP release.

No, it was on the album I compiled in 1974.

I actually played it in 1972, at exactly the same time as "K-Jee" by The NiteLiters, "This Is The House Where Love Died" by First Choice, and "Catch Me I'm Falling" by Esther Phillips.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If you want me to answer YOUR questions then I will do so gladly on facebook where no-one else can read what I say.

Oh. Sure. Like a personal tutor?

Social source share

Bobby Patterson My Babys coming back to Me is no different imo to the carstirs or the montclairs.

It was the first ever cover up, played at The Wheel and covered up as Benny Harper, Played massively throughout 1970.

Social source share

Shhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Yep, that's what I meant really. :D

The scene was almost the complete opposite of what it is these days, in terms of the fact that there were really only a handfull - say a couple of dozen key DJ's and the same amount of big-tune/unknown collectors. So generally we knew who had what and where it came from. If another copy turned up then it was big news back then.....

Ian D :lol:

Ian, I use to think the same as your post at the time back in the late 60's but just after the Wheel had closed heard about a guy who had plenty of sounds credited to being discovered later.

Records such as Tainted love, I'm on my way,)Sandi Sheldon and quite a few more what were played at the Blue Note circa late 68 but didn't take off and were not played much after that as the club moved more into ska scene.

On top off that there were people like Roger Eagle regularly importing records but not giving them a lot of air time because of the amount of stuff coming out in 65-67 era.

In the late 60's early 70's there wasn't the same quality as that era so we were having to search out more obscure stuff etc.

Gotta go things to do/.

Regards Brian

Social source share

No, it was on the album I compiled in 1974.

I actually played it in 1972, at exactly the same time as "K-Jee" by The NiteLiters, "This Is The House Where Love Died" by First Choice, and "Catch Me I'm Falling" by Esther Phillips.

that's why i can't remember it.

While i think about it ,just purchased, again, Party Music-Pat Lundy,,,,one of my faves from that era...........

Social source share

The buzzard told the monkey "You're chokin' me

"Release your hold and I'll set you free"

The monkey looked the buzzard right dead in the eye And said

"Your story's touchin', but it sounds like a lie

Straighten up and fly right

Steve J

I think his digging up an old Linda Lusardi record, that I got paid to make, is hitting a bit below the belt. 90% of what I made may indeed be soul, but there are always going to be the odd few that weren't.

Next thing he'll be posting The Compton Street People !!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Nice remix. This one will sound good out in a club.

We all know I also made High Energy records.

I have never denied it.

SO WHAT ????????

I wouldn't be so idiotic as to post them on a Northern Soul forum.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Cleethorpes I think...love that as well

Yes I heard it first at Cleggy, just remembered how fresh this and Black Nasty sounded way back then..

Social source share

Ian, I use to think the same as your post at the time back in the late 60's but just after the Wheel had closed heard about a guy who had plenty of sounds credited to being discovered later.

Records such as Tainted love, I'm on my way,)Sandi Sheldon and quite a few more what were played at the Blue Note circa late 68 but didn't take off and were not played much after that as the club moved more into ska scene.

On top off that there were people like Roger Eagle regularly importing records but not giving them a lot of air time because of the amount of stuff coming out in 65-67 era.

In the late 60's early 70's there wasn't the same quality as that era so we were having to search out more obscure stuff etc.

Gotta go things to do/.

Regards Brian

For sure Bri, you can never say never really.

But generally you'd get to know if somone slightly outside of the scene had a rare record, a couple of examples being Dave Godin's "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow", John Abbey's "Seven Day Lover" and a Welsh Detroit collector's "Spellbound" (sorry forgotten his name but apparently he had Tamiko first).......

I've certainly bumped into a couple of none-scene people who've had big records in their collections without knowing it.....

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think his digging up an old Linda Lusardi record, that I got paid to make, is hitting a bit below the belt. 90% of what I made may indeed be soul, but there are always going to be the odd few that weren't.

Next thing he'll be posting The Compton Street People !!!!!!!!!

This is a pretty punchy remix.

But I'm not sure I under stand the appeal. How can you think the Crow sounds awful but then make stuff like this?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I was doing further study on your career. Just saying it's amazing how much stuff you were involved in. This is the Ian Levine thread isn't it?

No, it's the Ian Levine NORTHERN SOUL thread.

Social source share

Good heavens that's Dave "The Legend" Rivers a dancin' too, boy is he one ugly mush !! :D

as you know chris it's the 1st night a the rocket, i must assure those on here that never went, it did fill up a bit more later lol.

it was a behind closed doors thing.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No, it's the Ian Levine NORTHERN SOUL thread.

Ok, sorry.

I have a quetion, sir?

If this is the Ian Levine northern soul thread, why are you posting so many tracks that have nothing to do with the northern soul scene?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I don't recall ANY records sounding like the Carstairs and Montclairs @ the Torch and Va-Va's. What I heard were monster frenetic stompers and hardly any mid-tempo floaty things..........

Also disagree totally on "My Baby's Coming Back To Me" which I always saw as a 60's mid-tempo good-time tune but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the Carstairs or Montclairs production-wise. Different decades for a start surely?

Baby Boy? Love Reputation? Nf Porter Keep on Keeping on?...I'll think of a few more later

Social source share