Modern Soul

Barry

Hi Barry, i really enjoyed the last Prestwich, and it was good to see a few of the old faces there.

Stoke was ok but to quote the Kent LP 76 "DANCE FLOOR DISASTER"

The fact is too many people have stopped going out, and there wasn,t enough to go around in the first place.

No Modern room at Bury Ann. in Oct! kinda says it all.

It,s not just me lots of people i talk to have lost that i,ll got to be there feeling.

(the looking forward/can,t wait till weekend feeling)

E.G. Going back to the Gala Gram Weekenders our group used to have three, sometimes four caravans now when we go out, mostly there,s just me and Lou in the car.

Dave.

Hi Dave, Hope you are well mate :thumbup: You know I view you and Louise as one of the Modern Soul faithful and I know EXACTLY what you mean. Prestwich WAS good there's no doubt about it. Stoke was a sucess from and attendance point of view and from a musical point of view, the unsecured, temporary dancefloor was bloody nightmare, but steps have been taken to make sure that does not happen again, so that should help going forward. Can't really comment on the Bury Anniversary, I guess Jayne has already stated her reasons for that. So i'll do a Forest Gump and say 'so that's all I have to say about that' :wicked:

Seriously though, you are right, a lot of people have stopped going out, or more accurately, have stopped going out to more regular do's and have started to wait for the events like the weekenders (or specials) and then turn up there en-masse and have a blow out. I guess 'there's only so much oil in the ground', as they say.

Things in life tend to go in cycles and I believe that happens with some of the things we're involved in, in this case the so-called 'modern' scene (which in itself means diffeerent things to different people) but as I have said in my previous post I do belive that there are positive things happening in a number of places but in small measures, hense the 'green shoots' analogy.

I guess we take it one gig at a time, choose our venues based on the offering they promise and if that suits our personal taste we support them and help them either remain part of the mix or grow to become part of the mix.

So IMHO it's up to promoters to work hard to present good music, in a good environment, look after their customers and avoid thinning out the potential base with event clashes. All we need then is to hear a few new tunes, some we've not heard for a while and have a good night out with like minded people, that usually does it for me. :D

ATB

Baz

Edited by BazM
Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That would explain it then. :lol:

bugger off, cheeky git!!.. tongue.gif

Actually, before I logged on I guessed what your reply would be (if you'd made one) and I was right...

You're clearly mellowing in your old age.. (or I've read too many of your posts..)

Jayne.x. :lol::ohmy:

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

So, Barry you ask about the split, 'the percentage of Classic Oldies (Modern) Y2K, Soulful House and ex Jazz Funk' that gets played. Well there's no hard and fast rule other than the kind of guide mentioned above

Bazza, you know that you had no need to state the above, of course there's no hard and fast rule - but - how do I, the uninitiated, gleen from the board what is being currently played on the scene under the guise of 'Modern'?

As it happens, as I would have expected, you alone have answered my question by giving me titles - a correct and singular response to my question.

(At this point I must bring to the attention of the board that Bazza was my mentor, he was the dj when I wore bobble hats to his Disco in 1977!)

Nice to see Marc Evans and Jazmina etc, alongside the other titles...but I do find that sound kind of formulaic, and a tad repetetive these days.

No denying the pleasure I get from these tracks, they are quality...but you know!?

Have Modern Rooms suffered due to 'the core' graduating to the general ('more exciting') House scene (all the lads that I know from the Nighter scene that I grew up on have), also is trad MS still played over more 'Housey' new releases these days?

I'm not saying that the scene is playing catch up - but I think that to a degree certain people playing records to that crowd at all nighter level maybe!?

I, in my exile, cannot believe that anyone could fail to keep a dancefloor happy with the gammut of fantastic 'MODERN' (I'll not explain it again) records that are out there.

Yourself excepted, you pioneer you!!

Has Modern Soul and it's subsequent dancefloor space suffered at the hands of House Music and a changing, younger crowd, who (it strikes me anyhow), at all nighter level, are more interested in a retro sound?

Ps

Is the reason why 'Modern' was called 'Modern' too hard for people to grasp - really?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Bazza, you know that you had no need to state the above, of course there's no hard and fast rule - but - how do I, the uninitiated, gleen from the board what is being currently played on the scene under the guise of 'Modern'?

Hi Barry! Got you susseed.....6am Sunday mornings can't get to sleep go start a thread on SS and then go back to it a week later, see if it's bin fed and watered :huh: .........

>As it happens, as I would have expected, you alone have answered my question by giving me titles - a >correct and singular response to my question.

>(At this point I must bring to the attention of the board that Bazza was my mentor, he was the dj when >I wore bobble hats to his Disco in 1977!)

I can picture us in the 'Regency' now! :P

>Nice to see Marc Evans and Jazmina etc, alongside the other titles...but I do find that sound kind of >formulaic, and a tad repetetive these days.

>No denying the pleasure I get from these tracks, they are quality...but you know!?

Be careful you dont invent your own sub catagory there B, 'Formumic Soul!' That's all we need :P You've said it though they are quality and therefore in some sense the obvious choices to grab peoples attention in places were more 'traditional' modern sounds might be played.

>Have Modern Rooms suffered due to 'the core' graduating to the general ('more exciting') House scene

>(all the lads that I know from the Nighter scene that I grew up on have),

I personally think that happened long ago......anylising that, it could be argued that some of the more challenging, forward thinking punters who went that way, affected the progression of the modern (upfront) scene. But that's a whole new thread for you mate.

>also is trad MS still played over >more 'Housey' new releases these days?

Yes! but as stated previously, that is changing at the All Nighter Modern rooms

>I'm not saying that the scene is playing catch up - but I think that to a degree certain people playing >records to that crowd at all nighter level maybe!?

>I, in my exile, cannot believe that anyone could fail to keep a dancefloor happy with the gammut of >fantastic 'MODERN' (I'll not explain it again) records that are out there.

I dont think 'catch up' as, as far as I can tell, there is no real paralelle between the two. The Modern Soul Scene is not as driven by new releases as it was back in the day, therefore DJ's could (and are now doing so) go back over a huge back catalouge of tunes, which, IMHO tick all the boxes, to feature in their sets

>Has Modern Soul and it's subsequent dancefloor space suffered at the hands of House Music

Has 'Modern Soul' suffered at the hands of House Music ???? Personally, I think it did some while back due to DJ's playing 'beats'......by that I mean that there were a number of people who played sets in Modern rooms in soul clubs and simply mixed a record cause it fitted with the record that went before rather than playing a set of tracks that showcased tune and (vocal) content! It was like listening to an hour of instrumantals on the Northern room! The effect of that happing regularily was that people who had come to listen to SOULFUL dance music...basically just got pissed off and 'Fucked Off' in more ways than one!

>and a changing, younger crowd, who (it strikes me anyhow), at all nighter level, are more interested in a >retro sound?

New, younger people that i've seen coming onto the (club) Soul scene in general, do seem to be into the 'retro' (music and dance) element, possibly fulled by 'Northern' being 'fashionable' with the media. Although I've seen as many coming through via the 'Mum and Dad' route, and let's be clear here, this is not 'by the thousand' :(

I do know there are plenty of people out there who enjoy hearing uptempo soulful dance music and do want to hear it played out in the clubs. I believe, that in the main the All Nighters and Weekenders are the right places to feature the tunes I elude to, simply because they are the places, at the moment, which have the critical mass numbers to kick start the whole process of building interest.

Here's a question for you Barry and I'm gonna be sooo careful here......but TO ME, and I might be completly wrong, so please feel free to correct me. I rarely hear of places on the house/club scene that do what you seem to expect to be happening on the All Nighter scene ie playing Soulful Uptempo Dance music to a knowlegable crowd! Is this the case or are there places with a good following, where a peep can go to and hear brand new, upfront SOULFUL dance music played out on a regular basis.

AND secondly, is there a pool of people out there who grew up with House Music and by natural progression 'discovered' the soulful side of House music (Garage?)and now want only to go to places playing that kind of music?

Edited by BazM
Social source share

Here's a question for you Barry and I'm gonna be sooo careful here......but TO ME, and I might be completly wrong, so please feel free to correct me. I rarely hear of places on the house/club scene that do what you seem to expect to be happening on the All Nighter scene ie playing Soulful Uptempo Dance music to a knowlegable crowd! Is this the case or are there places with a good following, where a peep can go to and hear brand new, upfront SOULFUL dance music played out on a regular basis.

Easy answer Baz - you never came (due to work no doubt) to 'On Hubert Street!' did you - we were all there, educated and proud.

Even Brian (Rae) came fairly regularly mate, where were you? :D

Some great responses there Bazza and thank you for them.

I am sometimes mistaken for taking the p*ss, an incorrect view in reality, I try to keep it real that's all.

I don't think you've sussed me Bazza, re my posts, I only have a certain amount of time that I can give to the SS forum - enjoy it while you can.

Love ya my mentor. :lol:

Social source share

Easy answer Baz - you never came (due to work no doubt) to 'On Hubert Street!' did you - we were all there, educated and proud.

Even Brian (Rae) came fairly regularly mate, where were you? :shhh:

No I didn't Barry and the truth is I would have LOVED to............the effort you put into that deserved me and hundreds more to have come down. For me a number of things conspired to prevent me coming, which I do regard as a loss :D

Some great responses there Bazza and thank you for them.

I am sometimes mistaken for taking the p*ss, an incorrect view in reality, I try to keep it real that's all.

Thanks B...and I know where you come from :unsure:

I don't think you've sussed me Bazza, re my posts, I only have a certain amount of time that I can give to the SS forum - enjoy it while you can.

Love ya my mentor. thumbsup.gif

I will!....Take Care Barry

ATB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert