Modern Soul

Barry

Would the forum members care to give me their top tens....that is 'played' top tens.

As I am not as caring an afficianado as I once was, I would like to see what the percentage of classic Oldies (Modern), Y2K (ouch), Soulful House and ex Jazz-Funk drops get played these days.

What is Modern Soul (at all nighters)?

Today.

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Would the forum members care to give me their top tens....that is 'played' top tens.

As I am not as caring an afficianado as I once was, I would like to see what the percentage of classic Oldies (Modern), Y2K (ouch), Soulful House and ex Jazz-Funk drops get played these days.

Today.

Barry, new releases do not feature at all nighters, and remain to the very small EMS followers at the Hilton weekender scene.

Some person has been running a fav modern soul tops, noted top 20, as we both know this is not the site for this.......

If you are looking for the future..... The Winch Room - only on this site.

And we both sure know better than this.

I was at the last bank holiday Orwell - and would of loved and valued Colin Curtis playing upstairs...not ever going to happen is it!!!! (closed shop).....Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And on hearing Colin at Prestwich....fill the floor......enough is enough.

Andrea and Nick Harrison, Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Firstly, we need everyone to agree on what the term "modern soul" actually relates to.

Steve, actually there lies the 30 year debut, known as the non relation.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

What is Modern Soul, well it is something that is Modern, as in new release, everything else is just an old Soul Record!

The only difference is the style!

Now stop all the bickering and enjoy Soul Music for what it is, who cares when it was made.

Social source share

What is Modern Soul, well it is something that is Modern, as in new release, everything else is just an old Soul Record!

The only difference is the style!

Now stop all the bickering and enjoy Soul Music for what it is, who cares when it was made.

I'm with you on that wave length , all we have to do is persuade the others and all would be well in the world, well the soul scene anyway

The Man in Black

Social source share

What is Modern Soul

A term quoted at a particular time on the scene that encapsulated and deliniated certain records.

Can we now please put to bed these ridiculous and pointless personal excursions re the term 'Modern Soul - Ford Cortina's were so named in the 70's, and strangely are still named so....that statement makes sense to me, so I'll leave it right there.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

A term quoted at a particular time on the scene that encapsulated and deliniated certain records

A particular time on the scene, past tense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we live in 2008,

Are the 60's Newies from say 1985-90 still new or have they in fact become oldies.

Is 4 Below Zero a Modern record or is it in fact a 70's production.

All Over the world - Chuck Jackson, Modern or 80's

The Northern Soul scene is steeped in History but definitions at some point have to be redefined to give more clarity.

To use the term Modern to describe all records made that do not fit the criteria of a 60's production is loose to say the least. certainly not Modern.

This forum is for members to express their views.

I feel I've Expressed.

KTF

Jules

Social source share

A particular time on the scene, past tense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we live in 2008,

Are the 60's Newies from say 1985-90 still new or have they in fact become oldies.

Is 4 Below Zero a Modern record or is it in fact a 70's production.

All Over the world - Chuck Jackson, Modern or 80's

The Northern Soul scene is steeped in History but definitions at some point have to be redefined to give more clarity.

To use the term Modern to describe all records made that do not fit the criteria of a 60's production is loose to say the least. certainly not Modern.

This forum is for members to express their views.

I feel I've Expressed.

KTF

Jules

So we should all call tambourines summat else then?

I believe they were named so in another time sphere - but they are still called tambourines!!??

Of course Four Below Zero is a 70's production - as it was produced in the 70's, well-spotted, I'm sure some people missed that.

Social source share

I believe they were named so in another time sphere - but they are still called tambourines!!??

Of course Four Below Zero is a 70's production - as it was produced in the 70's, well-spotted, I'm sure some people missed that.

" Modern Soul " or whatever the term is applied to a recording , does it really matter ? - it is time that it was all listed under the banner of soulful dance music , and do away with the discriminatory labels ........

As t'O'Jays sang " I love music , any kind of Music , I love music , just as long as it is groovin ' " / " I love music

sweet, sweet music . Long as it's swinging . All the joy that it's bringin' " .......

In the hands of one man , a branch is a weapon : in the hands of another , it is a crutch .........

Now that is a deep thought for a friday morning ......

Forget the terms : let us enjoy the music ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest marco i

I agree 100% with you Malc! I LOVE MUSIC (and I love O'Jays) :lol:

Marco

" Modern Soul " or whatever the term is applied to a recording , does it really matter ? - it is time that it was all listed under the banner of soulful dance music , and do away with the discriminatory labels ........

As t'O'Jays sang " I love music , any kind of Music , I love music , just as long as it is groovin ' " / " I love music

sweet, sweet music . Long as it's swinging . All the joy that it's bringin' " .......

In the hands of one man , a branch is a weapon : in the hands of another , it is a crutch .........

Now that is a deep thought for a friday morning ......

Forget the terms : let us enjoy the music ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I agree 100% with you Malc! I LOVE MUSIC (and I love O'Jays) :lol:

Marco

You said it , my good friend , you said it .......

The music is what counts - not the terms or catergories it is listed as being ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Today.

Having been involved in modern room at nighters from 1997 until last year, I saw a steady decline from around 2001 on, up until last year when I walked away from DJ'ing at Stoke as I really couldn't be arsed turning up to DJ to a dozen people at most. Don't really know what the problem is - the modern crowd were never ones to stay up all night and even at their peak, the modern rooms at nighters I played at would generally thin out around 3am. Maybe, like me, people are simply getting too old and knackered to stay up all night, plus, as has been said countless times on soul forums, people have their own perspective as to what 'modern' soul is, so somebody would venture into a nighter modern room expecting to hear their own interpretation and as soon as they heard something they didn't like would turn round and walk out back to the northern room. I found that seventies fans wouldn't like the Y2K or house, northern fans would only want uptempo, so along with the new music house fans, they wouldn't like the Y2K stuff as it was too slow, new music/Y2K fans wouldn't like the seventies stuff as they'd heard it all a million times or the house was too banging for hours on end, so there was just no way to keep everyone happy, and consequently along with all the destructive political bullshit that never goes away, I think all these factors have contributed to the decline in the nighter modern rooms, to the point where I now believe, from what I've witnessed over the last few years, it's time to knock the nighter modern rooms on the head and give it up as a bad job because nobody on the nighter scene is really interested. Shame really because going back to your original question, during the prime years in the nigher modern rooms, from 1996-2001, the percentage of the different styles played was really quite even and you could hear Michael Proctor 'Fall Down' followed by George Benson 'Love Ballad' followed by Willie Hutch 'Just Another Day' followed by Charles & Gwen Scales 'So Good' back to back and the floor would stay full.

Roger

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Having been involved in modern room at nighters from 1997 until last year, I saw a steady decline from around 2001 on, up until last year when I walked away from DJ'ing at Stoke as I really couldn't be arsed turning up to DJ to a dozen people at most. Don't really know what the problem is - the modern crowd were never ones to stay up all night and even at their peak, the modern rooms at nighters I played at would generally thin out around 3am. Maybe, like me, people are simply getting too old and knackered to stay up all night, plus, as has been said countless times on soul forums, people have their own perspective as to what 'modern' soul is, so somebody would venture into a nighter modern room expecting to hear their own interpretation and as soon as they heard something they didn't like would turn round and walk out back to the northern room. I found that seventies fans wouldn't like the Y2K or house, northern fans would only want uptempo, so along with the new music house fans, they wouldn't like the Y2K stuff as it was too slow, new music/Y2K fans wouldn't like the seventies stuff as they'd heard it all a million times or the house was too banging for hours on end, so there was just no way to keep everyone happy, and consequently along with all the destructive political bullshit that never goes away, I think all these factors have contributed to the decline in the nighter modern rooms, to the point where I now believe, from what I've witnessed over the last few years, it's time to knock the nighter modern rooms on the head and give it up as a bad job because nobody on the nighter scene is really interested. Shame really because going back to your original question, during the prime years in the nigher modern rooms, from 1996-2001, the percentage of the different styles played was really quite even and you could hear Michael Proctor 'Fall Down' followed by George Benson 'Love Ballad' followed by Willie Hutch 'Just Another Day' followed by Charles & Gwen Scales 'So Good' back to back and the floor would stay full.

Roger

Point well made, with you all the way on this. Deffo the reason I gave it a rest. Sick to death of the wide eyed monsters with the can you speed it up request. As if they hadn't had enough already biggrin.gif

Social source share

I was at the last bank holiday Orwell - and would of loved and valued Colin Curtis playing upstairs...not ever going to happen is it!!!! (closed shop).....Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry, I know you're light-years in distance away in Yorkshire but you should try the Soulful Sessions in Worcester, next one Sept 5th, for a good cross section and mix of Soul Music from the 7t's thru to today's new sounds. Then there's always Soulfusion Soulnites based down in Gloucester on Sept 20th if you want to hear Colin Curtis playing a 'no-hold-barred' Soul set, been too long since Colin visited us :D

The term Modern is really only used to mean 'not Northern', do people give the same reaction to R&B? It's all Soul Music and that means it spans from the 5t's thru to today, which is fan-bloody-tastic cos we have so much to choose from. Northern will always be the primary force on the British Soul Scene, which leaves all the other types/flavours to run smaller venues/events either with or away from the bigger Northern events.

Both Marc and Roger are right in there replies, nice one boys thumbup.gif

Social source share

Roger

Hi Roger, lots of good points in your post.

I have been saying for the last few years the Modern rooms "it wil go this year" and i am surpriced it lasted this long. Not enough core crowd to go, the rooms always thined out when the bar closed.

The political bullshit on the Modern side makes the Nothern side look like a bed of roses.

The faces you could always count on being there, are not there anymore.

The writing was on the wall when Lowton started getting little or no support.

Even Jim,s do which is full every mouth, has gone the way of Blackburn. (too many non-soulies)

People tell me to go to Bob Jeffies,s do. There no way i would drive to Scotland for a 1.00am finish.

The best night this year is when Jamie had the room rockin till after 6.00am at the weekender.

Even the Hilton has gone downhill. The dance room playing dance music till 2.00am than when it in full swing start playing Jazz-Funk?

Rant over

Dave

Social source share

I agree with most of what Roger says and it's a bloody shame. I used to love travelling many miles for an allnighter. Hopefully the situation can be retrieved because if there was a good modern allnighter on thta came close to the late 90s, early 00s, I'd be up for it.

Social source share

I agree with most of what Roger says and it's a bloody shame. I used to love travelling many miles for an allnighter. Hopefully the situation can be retrieved because if there was a good modern allnighter on thta came close to the late 90s, early 00s, I'd be up for it.

The looking forward/had to be there feeling is not there anymore.

Too many nights when only a handful of people turn up, not forgetting the cost. (petrol etc etc)

Social source share

Roger

What an excellent post.

Sad but it all rings true.

Social source share

Hi Roger, lots of good points in your post.

I have been saying for the last few years the Modern rooms "it wil go this year" and i am surpriced it lasted this long. Not enough core crowd to go, the rooms always thined out when the bar closed.

The political bullshit on the Modern side makes the Nothern side look like a bed of roses.

The faces you could always count on being there, are not there anymore.

The writing was on the wall when Lowton started getting little or no support.

Even Jim,s do which is full every mouth, has gone the way of Blackburn. (too many non-soulies)

People tell me to go to Bob Jeffies,s do. There no way i would drive to Scotland for a 1.00am finish.

The best night this year is when Jamie had the room rockin till after 6.00am at the weekender.

Even the Hilton has gone downhill. The dance room playing dance music till 2.00am than when it in full swing start playing Jazz-Funk?

Rant over

Dave

Sadly Dave... :lol: That is spot on. I too blame the politics, the ego's and the bullshit on that side, plus there hasn't been any really 'special' new release soul for good couple of years.

I've cancelled the modern room at our next nighter and made it a rare 6T's room, much easier and much more appreciated. The modern scene is even worse than the northern scene for people who only go to gigs for their own benefit. (and I'm not including you and Louise in that, Dave).

You're two nice people on that scene and it's always a pleasure (and usually a laugh) when you're out.

Jayne.x :thumbsup:

Social source share

. Don't really know what the problem is -

Roger,

If you dont know...we've got no chance!.. :lol: - having a midlands residency and being based (almost) in the North West that is,..

oh or maybe Dave Lucas mite, I reckon he has a very balanced view of this scene too..

It seems to me it's either midlands do with midlands DJ's and our lot wont travel or north west events with north west DJ's, and the midlands crowd wont travel, both

seeing the other as a 'closed shop'.. shame.

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Roger,

If you dont know...we've got no chance!.. :lol: - having a midlands residency and being based (almost) in the North West that is,..

oh or maybe Dave Lucas mite, I reckon he has a very balanced view of this scene too..

It seems to me it's either midlands do with midlands DJ's and our lot wont travel or north west events with north west DJ's, and the midlands crowd wont travel, both

seeing the other as a 'closed shop'.. shame.

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

I meant I don't know what the specific problem is Jayne, because there are many many issues existing in terms of both the music and the people, that make things the way they are these days.

Can't see it ever changing to be honest.

Roger

Social source share

I meant I don't know what the specific problem is Jayne, because there are many many issues existing in terms of both the music and the people, that make things the way they are these days.

Can't see it ever changing to be honest.

Roger

Me neither.... I can just see it disappearing sadly.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Thanks for your response, but you certainly havn't cleared up any of the points I raised.

Barry Is 4BZ a Modern Record?

Social source share

plus there hasn't been any really 'special' new release soul for good couple of years.

no offence, but have you actually bothered to search out/listen to any new soul music in the last couple of years, or are you relying on what is being played by unimaginative dj's in 'modern soul' rooms backed onto northern events? I can understand that comment from someone who may be subjected to stuff like neo and some soulfuric soundalike record month in-month out, but not from someone who is open to new soul material and has searched some out. it's the same as always, there is quality music being made, you just have to look for it, but hasn't that been the case for years and years?

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

no offence, but have you actually bothered to search out/listen to any new soul music in the last couple of years, or are you relying on what is being played by unimaginative dj's in 'modern soul' rooms backed onto northern events? I can understand that comment from someone who may be subjected to stuff like neo and some soulfuric soundalike record month in-month out, but not from someone who is open to new soul material and has searched some out. it's the same as always, there is quality music being made, you just have to look for it, but hasn't that been the case for years and years?

cheers Sutty

I'm surprised you even thought a statement like that worthy of a reply. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

cheers Sutty

Agree with the above 110% Sutty, but once sourced and purchased, our new soul music is not being played as widely as it should or could be, as was in the past, it seems somewhat restricted to fewer venues and lesser ears in the soul rooms of today.

Seems to be a downturn of interest at the present moment, with the new sounds not being represented in a purpose 100% new release venue.

"Why" I am very sure Mr Williams and others on here have covered these reasons including its absence. Others and myself included would welcome a venue that championed this, but would it be supported. In a world were new soul music has many different refreshing vibes, the punters would still find divisions within the new sound and isolate into factions once again.

I for one, like many at present find the internet and the sky channels via radio, offering a better choice of new release material than some DJs can play in a set, which is a good thing and also doubles up as a "first time heard shopping/wants list" for todays music and its newer collectors. Many record shops and outlets have also be lossed recently, which were feeders to the likes of us, making it harder still.

But the sad fact is, I have to stay at home more to listen at the present moment and enjoy this advanced musical facility with greater availability, than expecting to travel and not hear in a club.

Thank you and please do reply with kindness. :thumbsup: .

Cheers

Nick.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Oh dear, I see a VERY big can of worms just to opened...lol

KTF

Baz

Firstly, we need everyone to agree on what the term "modern soul" actually relates to.
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Couldn't agree more Malc...let's face it can get all a bit confusing at times...lol....& I'm just back from a soul nite so my poor little remaining braincells do not need more confusion.

KTF

Baz

You said it , my good friend , you said it .......

The music is what counts - not the terms or catergories it is listed as being ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

cheers Sutty

I wouldnt make such a statement if I hadn't even looked for new soul.

I would have to try pretty hard to avoid new soul music considering I spent most of my time with Sean Livesey who does nothing but listen to new soul. I listen to Sean's show being recorded at my house each week, Sean plays me all the stuff he gets through and if I read chat on EMS about new stuff and people are raving about it, I'll give it a listen but yes, honestly it's a good few years since I heard anything new that excites me.

I listen to Solar and Starpoint quite a bit too. Lab Addicts was probably the last thing I heard that I really liked.

Jayne.

Social source share

Can't everybody agree that Modern Soul is everything after the 31:st of January 1969?

It would be so much easier. Call the newer stuff whatever you want. I love good house or soul music but I hate the music that if you hear it you don't know if it is from 1996 or 2006. That is why I stopped collecting or caring about it in a serious way..

It is so easy to know the difference between 1965-1969 or 1971-1978 but try to do the same with new soul music.

Social source share

Barry, new releases do not feature at all nighters, and remain to the very small EMS followers at the Hilton weekender scene.

Some person has been running a fav modern soul tops, noted top 20, as we both know this is not the site for this.......

Only just seen this.

As one of the "Soulful Dance @" DJs I feel I have to pick you up on a few points.

The original thread is about Modern Soul at all nighters - we don't do all nighters.

As regards the comment "And we both sure know better than this." Don't understand what that means.

You may see us as a "closed shop" - we think differently.

We do not employ guest DJs simply because that is our collective decision - years ago Blackpool Mecca (our biggest influence musically) didn't employ guest DJs - seemed to work for them. Our group comprises of 3 DJs - 1 sound engineer & a bespoke sound system we consider to be one of the best around.

We all have plenty of music to offer the people who come to hear us spin - indeed some of the tunes we have played in the last 3-4 years have become anthems on the Soulful Dance scene. There is only so much time to play the music we want to play - employing a guest DJ lessens that time even more.

Colin Curtis (a personal friend to all of us for over 30 years) will fill dance floors every week up & down the country of that there is no doubt. We have huge respect for him & he has always supported us from the early days at Lytham,The Hilton & now at The Orwell - indeed he was at Wigan last week & has been a paying guest at Lytham in the past.

As regards our musical policy we play quality soulful jazzy grooves from the 1970s right up to the year 2008 - classic-unknown-forgotten & upfront - if it fits in with what we do it gets played - our loyal crowd seem to like it & long may they continue to do so.

Thanks

Andy Lett

Social source share

Agree with the above 110% Sutty, but once sourced and purchased, our new soul music is not being played as widely as it should or could be, as was in the past, it seems somewhat restricted to fewer venues and lesser ears in the soul rooms of today.

Seems to be a downturn of interest at the present moment, with the new sounds not being represented in a purpose 100% new release venue.

"Why" I am very sure Mr Williams and others on here have covered these reasons including its absence. Others and myself included would welcome a venue that championed this, but would it be supported. In a world were new soul music has many different refreshing vibes, the punters would still find divisions within the new sound and isolate into factions once again.

I for one, like many at present find the internet and the sky channels via radio, offering a better choice of new release material than some DJs can play in a set, which is a good thing and also doubles up as a "first time heard shopping/wants list" for todays music and its newer collectors. Many record shops and outlets have also be lossed recently, which were feeders to the likes of us, making it harder still.

But the sad fact is, I have to stay at home more to listen at the present moment and enjoy this advanced musical facility with greater availability, than expecting to travel and not hear in a club.

Thank you and please do reply with kindness. :thumbsup: .

Cheers

Nick.

Just to let you know Nick the music policy in the Modern Room at Prestwich is to play new and 'advance release' Soul from the US and UK.

Social source share

Just to let you know Nick the music policy in the Modern Room at Prestwich is to play new and 'advance release' Soul from the US and UK.

And has been for the last 9 years. :thumbsup:

Same with Soul Underground in the Midlands, the venue's been playing primarily new releases since it started in 2001, probably the only standalone venue to do so? (apologies if I'm wrong). :thumbsup:

Roger

Social source share

You may see us as a "closed shop" - we think differently.

So do I. The fact is, people only view anywhere as a 'closed shop' when they want to get in but can't, but when you think about it and as you say Andy, if you have enough music between you, what's the point of employing a guest to play the tunes you already have, again as you say, it lessens the time everyone else has to play and is a pointless expense, especially these days as there aren't really any DJs on the modern scene who will attract enough extra punters to any gig to make a difference, people are going to turn up to their chosen venues regardless. As with the one hour set mentality, I think the guest scenario is just another hangover from the traditional northern scene way of thinking, neither of which need to be part of the modern scene these days.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Good morning Baz, thanks for reminding me again, I have supported Prestwich new soul room over the years and in a above post mentioned it as a good example of new soul fulfillment. :thumbsup: .

Social source share

So do I. The fact is, people only view anywhere as a 'closed shop' when they want to get in but can't, but when you think about it and as you say Andy, if you have enough music between you, what's the point of employing a guest to play the tunes you already have, again as you say, it lessens the time everyone else has to play and is a pointless expense, especially these days as there aren't really any DJs on the modern scene who will attract enough extra punters to any gig to make a difference, people are going to turn up to their chosen venues regardless. As with the one hour set mentality, I think the guest scenario is just another hangover from the traditional northern scene way of thinking, neither of which need to be part of the modern scene these days.

Sometimes it's not hard to make sense of it all.

If we at Soulful Dance@ thought a guest DJ was going to bring a 52 seater coach along with him - even we would consider him if only from the financial aspect - which incidentally is not what we are all about.

To be honest I can't think of any DJ in this country who would attract that many extra people to a night.

As you say it is the "Northern" mentality - a DJ like Butch for example is employed because of the records he has in his collection - ie tunes nobody else has got.

There is not that exclusivety on the modern dance/soul scene - we as a group carefully vet the tunes we want to play - certain tunes I see in playlists would not be considered by us - not that we think we are better than anbody else it's just a lot of new/upfront tunes don't always fit our vibe.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Sometimes it's not hard to make sense of it all.

If we at Soulful Dance@ thought a guest DJ was going to bring a 52 seater coach along with him - even we would consider him if only from the financial aspect - which incidentally is not what we are all about.

To be honest I can't think of any DJ in this country who would attract that many extra people to a night.

As you say it is the "Northern" mentality - a DJ like Butch for example is employed because of the records he has in his collection - ie tunes nobody else has got.

There is not that exclusivety on the modern dance/soul scene - we as a group carefully vet the tunes we want to play - certain tunes I see in playlists would not be considered by us - not that we think we are better than anbody else it's just a lot of new/upfront tunes don't always fit our vibe.

Gotta' say that i'm not that 'up' on the full on modern scene, but i have had the honour to play before Andy Lett and Pete Haigh a couple of years back and i thought the music they played was superb, also Andy is without doubt one of the most knowlegeable people i have ever met in regards to the wealth of information and facts this fella' knows about soul music from all the eras. It's well known in my circles that i can 'talk' , but Andy Lett is one man you just listen to and then learn.

Brett

Social source share

Good morning Baz, thanks for reminding me again, I have supported Prestwich new soul room over the years and in a above post mentioned it as a good example of new soul fulfillment. :thumbup: .

Know you have and saw that you did....and sincere thanks for your support Nick

Social source share

Today.

Hi Barry Hope you are well!

Knowing you and your love of Soul Music generally and your history, I know that the question you have asked comes from a genuine interest, so I would like to give you my perspective on the subject you pose.

Before I do, can I just reconfirm the question 'What Is Modern Soul at All-Nighters?'

I want to do this cause I need to specifically exclude some of the venues mentioned already in the thread, because

A) they are not All Nighters and cool.gif more specifically because IMHO the music played at Prestwich, The Orwell, Seductive Soul and the late lamented Modern Room at Lowton DOES NOT fit into my view of the kind of music that could re-kindle the interest in 'modern' soul music at All Nighters. I say re-kindle because Roger pretty accurately described the demise of 'Modern' (not just at Stoke but) at many All Nighters were 'Modern' was played, Winsford for instance. That said, and the main reason for my post, is that I have recently seen the 'green shoots of recovery' at recent All Nighter 'Modern' rooms.

I believe that most people on the (All Nighter) scene today attend venues because they appreciate Soul music, some more that others, some deeper than others but at the end of the day they are there because of the music. Over the past few Stoke All Nighters a conscious effort has been made to feature music which is vocally soulful, uptempo, recognisable or memorable, some rare and some not so rare and making an effort to tell the people in the room what they are dancing to rather that just stringing record after record together, not really rocket science but the results of this have been two busy 'Modern' Rooms at Stoke from start to finish this year and quite a few people including Myself and Colin Curtis very much looking forward to the next one!

So, Barry you ask about the split, 'the percentage of Classic Oldies (Modern) Y2K, Soulful House and ex Jazz Funk' that gets played. Well there's no hard and fast rule other than the kind of guide mentioned above, it's whatever feels right on the night, but I can give you an idea of some of the tunes played, which were appreciated by the crowd in the 'Modern' Room at the last Stoke and left us feeling that a corner had been turned regarding All Nighters being the right place to grow and develop this theme.

(Just a Few) Stoke All Nighter Modern Room Selections

Marc Evans Given Me Joy

Joe T Vannelli Harlem

Gladys Knight Use My Imagination

Tashan Soul Survivor

Dennis Ferrer Church Lady

Jazimina Let the Rain Come Down

Romanthony Hold On

7 Samurai Modernization

Maxine Inniss Standing Strong

Samuelle Sartini Real Love

Could have given more but I guess you'll get the idea of where i'm coming fron

BTW Do get to the next Orwell if you can cause I think you'll like it :thumbup:

Social source share

Gotta' say that i'm not that 'up' on the full on modern scene, but i have had the honour to play before Andy Lett and Pete Haigh a couple of years back and i thought the music they played was superb, also Andy is without doubt one of the most knowlegeable people i have ever met in regards to the wealth of information and facts this fella' knows about soul music from all the eras. It's well known in my circles that i can 'talk' , but Andy Lett is one man you just listen to and then learn.

Brett

But is he not the chap who said he had a 7'' OV of "Roadblock" :thumbup:

Social source share

Know you have and saw that you did....and sincere thanks for your support Nick

Hi Barry, i really enjoyed the last Prestwich, and it was good to see a few of the old faces there.

Stoke was ok but to quote the Kent LP 76 "DANCE FLOOR DISASTER"

The fact is too many people have stopped going out, and there wasn,t enough to go around in the first place.

No Modern room at Bury Ann. in Oct! kinda says it all.

It,s not just me lots of people i talk to have lost that i,ll got to be there feeling.

(the looking forward/can,t wait till weekend feeling)

E.G. Going back to the Gala Gram Weekenders our group used to have three, sometimes four caravans now when we go out, mostly there,s just me and Lou in the car.

Dave.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert