Possibly Going To New York This Year

Guest bradcam

Guest bradcam

Wonder if anyone can help. Can be Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Bronx or Manhattan. Or even NJ if the place is good.

Cheers in advance.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wonder if anyone can help. Can be Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Bronx or Manhattan. Or even NJ if the place is good.

Cheers in advance.

Plenty of places still around - I was there 18 months ago. But they come and go. I'd pop down to the Village, check out the shops and ask the incredibly helpful people behind the counters - Bleeker Bob's, House Of Oldies etc which shops are still going and they'll direct you from there.

Also check out the flea markets in Manhattan on Sundays as there's a few and there's always stuff knocking around.

Good luck!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Am there in November with the family, got an afternoon to myself for record hunting, not a lot of time, so any help on places to go would be a big help for me to :lol:

Social source share

Unfortunately, NYC is not necessarily as much of a 45-driven market as one might think - more of an LP and 12" kind of city, at least in my experience. That said, there are a couple great stores on the lower east side that I'd highly recommend, namely Good Records and Big City Records. Other stores of note and repute include the Sound Library, A-1, and Academy Records.

Edited by rswells
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

there are quite regular record fair at the Holiday Inn on late 40's /early 50th street, east of broadway, but obvioulsly the timing has to be right for you!

see if i can find exact details, but someone else might beat me to it!

or this - https://www.wfmu.org/recfair/

Edited by lifeandsoul
Social source share

Please do yourself a favour and start your trip by visiting the revolving restaurant on the 48th floor of The Marriot Hotel on Broadway - on Times Square - I asked the advice of a French NYC patriot in my shuttle last time over, as to where would be a cool place to meet my compatriots...trust me, you won't be disappointed.

If you can cope with Soulful House, a trip to The Shelter should be taken, Timmy R will blow your mind.

Social source share

Please do yourself a favour and start your trip by visiting the revolving restaurant on the 48th floor of The Marriot Hotel on Broadway - on Times Square - I asked the advice of a French NYC patriot in my shuttle last time over, as to where would be a cool place to meet my compatriots...trust me, you won't be disappointed.

If you can cope with Soulful House, a trip to The Shelter should be taken, Timmy R will blow your mind.

Just to give me something to do< I'll tell you about it.

When I first got to the dancefloor, the sound was pretty ropey (and I was 'tatered), there was a single flashing green light blurting occassionally - I thought 'Mmmmm, is this it?".

Half hour later, a red light started to flash on the other side of the d/f - and the sound seemed alittle more crisp.

20 Minutes after that, the neons kicked in - Timmy appeared to be dropping mixes in as he felt - evrything seeming to be a beat behind as he found the groove.

The sound, again, appeared to be improving - was it the gear?

To cut a long story short - by 6am, Regisford had it taped - the sound was bang on, the lighting/mood was at it and his mixing (not that I was arsed) would be deemed acceptable (even by a UK anorak that never had), to most.

After a conversation with a Shelter resident it turne out that Timmy Regisford spends 4/5 hours playing it on the downside, hour by hour tweaking the lights and the system, until by 6am - IT IS FIRING!!

Also you will discover the friendliest clubbers on the planet there too. No edge.

If you manage to stay there 'til the church-goers eneter you have done well.

(Memories of me & Tall Paul 2005)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert