Bizarre Names In Soul

Guest Beeks

What is the most bizarre group/artist name in soul you have come across?

In Sales at the moment is 'The Three Heads'

What were they thinking? :ohmy:

Can you give us any beauties? :P

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember doing a topic like this about 4 years ago, saying that some of these singers, if they'd been at school when I was there would have had the mick taken out of them something rotten...names like Wilbur, Pimbrock, Stanley, Percy, Albert, Wasington for goodness sake...

Social source share

Years ago, there used to be a shop called Boylans that imported Soul records amongst other things.

Anyway, I used to get a list, and now and again bought a few records from it.

One artist that always stood out (although I had never heard the song played anywhere at the time) was Jimmy Thudpucker (I think the title was something like Ginnys song, maybe on Warner).

I think it was an early Mecca tune.

Can you imagine a surname like Thudpucker!!!! Better than (Gaylord) Fokker.......................

Another weird one was that Slaughter Fly malarchy from years back.

Ed

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...The Five Shits takes some beating. This was a Val Shively wind-up from the mid 70s for doo-wop collectors. Mind you, Val and his pals releases two different Five Shits records, so there must have been some demand for their works!

Social source share

...The Five Shits takes some beating. This was a Val Shively wind-up from the mid 70s for doo-wop collectors. Mind you, Val and his pals releases two different Five Shits records, so there must have been some demand for their works!

No way was there a band called the Five Shits!!!! AHAHAHA!! :ohmy::P:D:lol:

Social source share

on the Vindaloo label..........

The Dore label had its' fair share of strange named artists on its' roster , one of them being ........

Pierre and the Choppers " Guilotine Song " / " Son Of The Happy Snowball " ( Dore 518 ) ........

Not a bizarre moniker as such , but the chap's name appealed to the schoolboy humour in me , when I saw the 45 in a junk shop ........

Wayne King and his Magic Saxophone " Melody Of Love " ( US Decca ) .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

PPS043.jpg

Thats ridiculous...I gather from the previous post it was released as a fake 'forgotten gem'?? Still can't believe anyone would fall for it though surely?

Social source share

The Dore label had its' fair share of strange named artists on its' roster , one of them being ........

Pierre and the Choppers " Guilotine Song " / " Son Of The Happy Snowball " ( Dore 518 ) ........

Not a bizarre moniker as such , but the chap's name appealed to the schoolboy humour in me , when I saw the 45 in a junk shop ........

Wayne King and his Magic Saxophone " Melody Of Love " ( US Decca ) .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No way was there a band called the Five Shits!!!! AHAHAHA!! :thumbsup:laugh.gif:lol::lol:

Their discography is as follows:

Lost Cause 100 - Dreaming Of You/Let Me Tell You (label name is an obvious Shively pop at his famous, and local, doo-wop reissue label, Lost Nite Records)

Chance 1163 - Stormy Weather/My Pretty Little Girl (this is on a facsimile of the famous 1950s Chicago blues/R & B label of the same name, and is even in that label's numbering system, using the same number as a Willie Nix record on that label).

Both of these records most definitely do exist...

Val also did another doo-wop wind up with this record:

Quest 101 - The Beatles - The Girl I Love c/w Jerry Blabber - For Yon Tunas Only

...prefabricating a story, on its release, that this was an unissued 1950s master by a Beatles that predated the more famous one. The B side is an obvious pop at Philly radio legend Jerry Blavat...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I guess it was a piss take of this...

...exactly. The Five Sharps is the holy grail of doo-wop collecting. Less than three copies are known to exist, possibly only two - and one of those is known to be cracked!

And some people think that some Northern records are rare....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Arthur Prysock always makes me laugh :thumbsup:

Especially the way that one middle aged West Indian gentleman used to say it, when asking for AP's tunes at Record Corner in the early 70s - " y' ave any Art'ur Prizeco**?"...

Social source share

Er........have you never heard of the Four Vandals my friend??? :thumbsup:

I have...that fake band...also there is that track released by Ian Levine...cant remember the female artist that was fake

Social source share

Their discography is as follows:

Lost Cause 100 - Dreaming Of You/Let Me Tell You (label name is an obvious Shively pop at his famous, and local, doo-wop reissue label, Lost Nite Records)

Chance 1163 - Stormy Weather/My Pretty Little Girl (this is on a facsimile of the famous 1950s Chicago blues/R & B label of the same name, and is even in that label's numbering system, using the same number as a Willie Nix record on that label).

Both of these records most definitely do exist...

Tony's right - they do exist, and were apparently recorded/released in 1973. 'Dreaming Of You' has even appeared on serious CD comps. If you didn't know it was by the Five Shits, it could easily pass as an early '60s white male vocal group cut.

Social source share

Tony's right - they do exist, and were apparently recorded/released in 1973. 'Dreaming Of You' has even appeared on serious CD comps. If you didn't know it was by the Five Shits, it could easily pass as an early '60s white male vocal group cut.

What are they like?? Any good?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:thumbsup:

Gwen Phlegm- oceans of your love

...Better than, though than the prospect of "Oceans Of Your Phlegm" by Gwen Love, eh, mate?

Hope all's well...

TONE

Social source share

Was out and about with my ex wife, when I was a yoot

One day we were in this record shop and she starts laffin to the point were she is almost pissin her pants :yes:

She had pulled out an LP by

Conway Twitty

I'd never heard the name either at that time and found it a tadd strange laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Mr Percolator who recorded some wondeful deep sides on the Wax -Wel label.

Rumours that he once dueted with Erma Coffee remain unconfirmed. :yes:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

What about Flair and the Flat Foots :thumbsup:

gary

Or/See also Floy and the Flatfoots.

Did they do more than the one single (was it called John Fuzz? Been a while since I played it). I always assumed they were police moonlighting from the group name/single title?

Social source share

Or/See also Floy and the Flatfoots.

Did they do more than the one single (was it called John Fuzz? Been a while since I played it). I always assumed they were police moonlighting from the group name/single title?

I'm not aware of anything else they did under either guise. That's an interseting theory about the Police conection, never thought about it before, just thought it as a daft name!!

Hey boy - hey girl / John Fuzz - SPQR 1107

gary

Social source share

Years ago, there used to be a shop called Boylans that imported Soul records amongst other things.

Anyway, I used to get a list, and now and again bought a few records from it.

One artist that always stood out (although I had never heard the song played anywhere at the time) was Jimmy Thudpucker (I think the title was something like Ginnys song, maybe on Warner).

I think it was an early Mecca tune.

Can you imagine a surname like Thudpucker!!!! Better than (Gaylord) Fokker.......................

Another weird one was that Slaughter Fly malarchy from years back.

Ed

cant stop laughing at that name

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert