Sugar Boy Williams

Paul Shirley

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sold one in March for £300 - mint vinyl, couple of DJ 'x' on label, otherwise clean.

Could have sold it about 5 times over.

yeah on the other hand one clean copy sold on ebay in may this year for well under 200 and the guy only had the one bid on it . not sure where all thses peeps who wanted it was then eh?

i wont be paying 300 for it aniway i also rimember another bloke saying the same thing as me in a thread on here .

Edited by mepaul50
Social source share

yeah on the other hand one clean copy sold on ebay in may this year for well under 200 and the guy only had the one bid on it . not sure where all thses peeps who wanted it was then eh?

i wont be paying 300 for it aniway i also rimember another bloke saying the same thing as me in a thread on here .

No need to get arsey - it wasn't just a figure pulled out of my head - I sold the record for that and hed several people messaging me to see if it was still available.

I know Mace sold a copy for about £300 in the last twelve months as well.

A copy may well have sold for less than £200 on eBay - my first copy came of there for $9 - but that doesn't guarantee that the record would arrive, or that it would be mint when it did, or that you wouldn't get stung for import duties...

The person who bought mine got to hold it in their mitts prior to purchase - maybe that's why they offered a premium price?

If you don't want to know the price, why ask?

Social source share

No need to get arsey - it wasn't just a figure pulled out of my head - I sold the record for that and hed several people messaging me to see if it was still available.

I know Mace sold a copy for about £300 in the last twelve months as well.

A copy may well have sold for less than £200 on eBay - my first copy came of there for $9 - but that doesn't guarantee that the record would arrive, or that it would be mint when it did, or that you wouldn't get stung for import duties...

The person who bought mine got to hold it in their mitts prior to purchase - maybe that's why they offered a premium price?

If you don't want to know the price, why ask?

ohi arsey ?? i think you will find it wasant me who asked the price ? also the one sold on ebay was sold in the uk mate not the usa . also the records that i did buy from the states all arived and was ok apart from one dead cheapo one are you trying to say if its cheaper it aint going to come ???

Social source share

Not at all, just that some people prefer to purchase off someone who's in front of them...

Whatever you decide to pay for one, good luck in your hunt.

ok thats a bit more like it , the one sold in may was on the 30th from tyne &wear it was for nearly two hundred i just checked so i was wrong about the well under bit . yes i know its been sold a few times for around 300 and i also knew it was yours because before i start to hunt down records i read all the threads check popsike check ebay' the works lol . your ok no harm done best paul

Social source share

the big problem i have now is acording to steven there is two record by sugar boy williams with the same lyrics one on raines one on herald ..............i think the one i may be after is on hearald but is there any diference in the two tunes ?????

Social source share

an alternative view:

https://koti.mbnet.fi/wdd/jodywilliams.htm

"Note: Sugar Boy Williams who recorded the single "Five Long Years" / "Little Girl" (Herald H-555) in New York, 1960 has sometimes been attributed to Jody Williams. The artist on this record (and also the writer of both sides) is actually Leon Williams, who is a different person despite the fact that Jody Williams' real name indeed is Joseph Leon Williams. According to The Blues Discography 1943-1970, Sugar Boy Williams recorded also another single "Little Girl Take Your Time" / "Someday Darling" (Raines 2906) in 1965. Two titles from the 1960 session, "Tryin' To Find A Woman" and an alternate take of "Five Long Years" are still unissued. Both "Five Long Years" and "Little Girl" appear on the compilation album "When Girls Do It" (Red Lightnin' RL 006) issued in 1971."

Social source share

Don't get what you mean about it 'being' mine?

I have only ever had two copies, a yellow label one which i sold for *£300* and a rarer multicoloured label copy which i still have...

yeah sorry i thort i seen an old thread with it for sale for 300 or sold for 300 by you but looks like i got you mixed up with another guy or somthing , one went for best offer over 200 not to long ago was it honny diper or somthing any way no harm done .best paul

Social source share

I have sold a Herald copy in last 12 months, and it usually fetches £300 no probs....after all its a quality tune that's well indemand especially on the R&B and Mod scenes.....

Mind you, I remember Joe and his sidekick Hiscock tried telling me it was overpriced and worth £100 max at the time :wave::lol:

If I remember correctly the Raines version is pretty dire (there might even be a sound clip on Manships)

I also seem to recall someone mentioned another version by a different artist on here a while ago?

They do turn up though, I snatched one on buy it now off ebay a year or so ago whilst every man and his dog were playing out at Prestatyn :D

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

yeah sorry i thort i seen an old thread with it for sale for 300 or sold for 300 by you but looks like i got you mixed up with another guy or somthing , one went for best offer over 200 not to long ago was it honny diper or somthing any way no harm done .best paul

That was on the rarer multi couloured label as well.

That went for closer to the £300 mark than the £200 I believe.....

They do come up sometimes, but I would budget closer to £300 if I wanted one.

Social source share

If I remember correctly the Raines version is pretty dire (there might even be a sound clip on Manships)

I took the Raines version with me to the Saturday afternoon at the Hideaway weekender 2007. Had mentioned it to Bob Morris and Co previously and nobody was aware of its existence at the time. John Kelly and Hoss both had a listen and I guess that its as a result of this that word has got about, though I doubt that many people have actually heard it. I wouldn't go as far as to say its dire but I agree it is not as good as the Herald version. Definitely think its the rarer of the two.

Social source share

I took the Raines version with me to the Saturday afternoon at the Hideaway weekender 2007. Had mentioned it to Bob Morris and Co previously and nobody was aware of its existence at the time. John Kelly and Hoss both had a listen and I guess that its as a result of this that word has got about, though I doubt that many people have actually heard it. I wouldn't go as far as to say its dire but I agree it is not as good as the Herald version. Definitely think its the rarer of the two.

I've known about it being on Raines for about 5 years - I got a U.S. seller to play it down the phone to me, and vetoe'd it on the strength of what i heard.

It's also listed on the Raines label in Manships.

Social source share

Source Advert