Where Does Northern Soul End And Start?

Guest 12shades

Guest 12shades

Being a huge Northern Soul fan from 1970s - to date,When dose Northern Soul stop becomoing Northern Soul.When Im constantley discovering new music of the that ilke and beyond ????

Would evrybody agree to the fact that Our Soul In,history is the most OPEN MINDED tought pattern known to man,we know .............!!!!!

You just know a good tune,label,cut when you here it.

You are surley blessed to understand this music from all dimensions.

12SHADES

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest northernsoulboy6

Being a huge Northern Soul fan from 1970s - to date,When dose Northern Soul stop becomoing Northern Soul.When Im constantley discovering new music of the that ilke and beyond ????

Would evrybody agree to the fact that Our Soul In,history is the most OPEN MINDED tought pattern known to man,we know .............!!!!!

You just know a good tune,label,cut when you here it.

You are surley blessed to understand this music from all dimensions.

12SHADES

12shades

Yes you are correct , as there cannot be any doubt that there has to be stuff still out there and if you have found some then we all await in antisipation to hear the latest 60's find.

As you say if its a good tune then its a winner.

Mark :thumbsup:

Social source share

Being a huge Northern Soul fan from 1970s - to date, When dose Northern Soul stop becomoing Northern Soul.

When people try to pigeon hole it into 764 different sub-genre based on year, production, label and artist - then divide this again into another 498 sub-sub-genre based on rarity, value, overplayed, underplayed, in-be-tweeny-played and how good it will look in their record box if they have the only copy (MUST be original, not pressed, issue, re-issue, booted etc)

*Important Note*

The above sub-genre are VERY subjective and depend on who on this board you are trying to impress (or number of pints consumed) and your newly aquired £15 ebay ultra rare 'Northern' Soul record from the 'windy city' is not in fact just another overplayed 'Pop' record......... or vice-versa.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Very deep topic.

As you suggest NS is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak.

I try not to tag 'soul' too much to the Northern label, as much of it is simply not soul in the broadest sense,

I also think its grown into a much broader definition in the last 10 years than in the 25 years before that.

Ed

Social source share

ummmm didnt northern soul start where Rhythm n soul ended..which was only ended by a coin of Phrase by dave godin..and northern cant end..coz its a dance style not a music,

so any music that fits the style will be classed as northern by the Northern scene ...ie the country sounds of barneby bye, and the rock n roll of dean barlow and the gospel/soul sounds of the early glenn jones or the disco sound of phylis hyman...that seemed to be classed as ".Northern" because they were played at a northern venue at some time or other, but they all were also played at discos clubs and rock and roll venues...surely none of the artists recorded them as northern as they wont of ever heard of it......

this is and has always been a bizarre state of affairs...I personnally dont class any record as a northern record just a record, whatever the genre, that gets played or accepted on the northern soul dance scene.

so the scope is endless...and lends itself to a host of arguments..that bore the pants off me

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

But one way for me is when a song has been played at venues in the past.

Like yes we have sub genres but anything i may well have which is soul and i don't know if it's Northern i would check up and no doubt many of you will say that was played somewhere and is defined as Northern same as with Modern and R & B and funk.

I do draw a line to what i wouldn't call a Northern record or Modern etc if i felt it wasn't and it was labelled as simply soul be it 60's or 70's or whatever

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert