The Soul Children

the soul chldren were a very underrated group. They barely get the recognition that they deserve.

This Memphis, Tennessee Stax Records mainstay was formed by Norman West (formerly of The Del-Rios), and included the talents of John Colbert aka J. Blackfoot, Anita Louis and Shelbra Bennett. The group was formed by Isaac Hayes and David Porter in order to fill the gap that Sam & Dave had left after parting from the Atlantic record label. They scored 15 R&B hits between 1968 and 1978.

Norman R. West, Jr., a country preacher's kid, grew up in Louisiana, and whereby singing in his father's church and any other church where his father was asked to preach, Norman and his brothers (Joe, James, Robert) were there to offer a few songs. Norman also was a member of various quartets and groups in his formative years before he began sneaking out and singing in local clubs, then later formed The Soul Children.

J. Blackfoot' is a nickname Colbert picked up during his early years, due to his habit of walking without footwear on the tarred sidewalks of Memphis during the hot summers. He spent six months as lead singer with a new line-up of The Bar-Kays after the original members were killed with Otis Redding in a plane crash. He later launched a solo career as J. Blackfoot with the single "Taxi", which climbed into the R&B Top Ten in 1984.

some of their best work in my opinion..

-"I'll be the other woman"

-" Hearsay"

- " I'll Understand"

- " The sweeter he is"

- " Love makes it right"

Edited by soulmusic247
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maybe the greatest of all mixed-gender vocal groups. So many brilliant, brilliant records but if I had to single one out it would be the great Stax double sider "Move Over" c/w "Give 'Em Love", both sides of which never fail to amaze with their sheer power and pure soul.

Social source share

Great group! Hard to list favourites because there are so many. Their biggest commercial success was "I´ll Be The Other Woman". I have their original albums, but most (all?) of them have also been reissued as CDs so have them in that format too. Their brand new album which was released just recently is an ok album, but not on par with the old classics IMHO. I guess the music of Soul Children will be included in some of the Isaac Hayes tributes that are now being broadcast.

Cheers,

Melismo

Social source share

the soul chldren were a very underrated group. They barely get the recognition that they deserve.

This Memphis, Tennessee Stax Records mainstay was formed by Norman West (formerly of The Del-Rios), and included the talents of John Colbert aka J. Blackfoot, Anita Louis and Shelbra Bennett. The group was formed by Isaac Hayes and David Porter in order to fill the gap that Sam & Dave had left after parting from the Atlantic record label. They scored 15 R&B hits between 1968 and 1978.

Norman R. West, Jr., a country preacher's kid, grew up in Louisiana, and whereby singing in his father's church and any other church where his father was asked to preach, Norman and his brothers (Joe, James, Robert) were there to offer a few songs. Norman also was a member of various quartets and groups in his formative years before he began sneaking out and singing in local clubs, then later formed The Soul Children.

J. Blackfoot' is a nickname Colbert picked up during his early years, due to his habit of walking without footwear on the tarred sidewalks of Memphis during the hot summers. He spent six months as lead singer with a new line-up of The Bar-Kays after the original members were killed with Otis Redding in a plane crash. He later launched a solo career as J. Blackfoot with the single "Taxi", which climbed into the R&B Top Ten in 1984.

some of their best work in my opinion..

-"I'll be the other woman"

-" Hearsay"

- " I'll Understand"

- " The sweeter he is"

- " Love makes it right"

Agree, great group. I interviewed Blackfoot (and Norm West) in Memphis for an article I did on Blackfoot for Juke Blues magazine a couple of years back. 'Foot' was great, kept talking til basically I ran out of questions, I was also lucky enough to catch him live a couple of times, his voice is still a good as ever.

Paul, I heard Ann Hines (who sang on record and went on tour with Blackfoot) was to be on the current line up of the Soul Children on their recent tour... was she there?

Agree with Kev above, 'We're Getting Too Close' is also one of my favourite Soul Children tracks.

Social source share

"Poem On The School House Door" - every time!

:lol:

You know why I'm laughing Tone.

Magical group, all of the great tunes already mentioned plus ' Midnight sunshine' ' Just one moment' 'One broken heart for sale'

I'm sure I'll remember some more.

Social source share

:P

You know why I'm laughing Tone.

Magical group, all of the great tunes already mentioned plus ' Midnight sunshine' ' Just one moment' 'One broken heart for sale'

I'm sure I'll remember some more.

Hello,

Great to see this amazing group mentioned on soulsource.

My favourites are "I Want To Be Loved" and "It Hurts Me To Me Heart".

And let's not forget they also cut some great tracks after Stax ...especially "You Don't Need A Ring", "Where Is Your Woman Tonight", "If You Move I'll Fall" etc.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Amazing to think that they were, so to speak, the Soul equivalent to something along the lines of Boyzone, the Monkees or Girls Aloud i.e. a group that was formed by others outside the group, rather than by a bunch of people who got together of their own accord.

Of course, Hell will freeze over the day that Girls Aloud ever make a record that's even 1/1000th as good as "The Sweeter He Is"...

...or even make a record that's good, period... :P

Social source share

Not underrated in my house. :lol:

Love everything by them.

J. Blackfoot has one of THE most soulful voices ever!

"Midnight Sunshine" is most certainly in my all time top 20.

"Who You Used To Be" one of the finest Real Soul dancers - I play at every opportunity!

Have recently revived "For The Right Reasons" from the Stealing Love album and the new album "Still Standing" finds the group still in fine form.

Just love 'em!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert