Northern Soul's New Blood

Dendog

I'm not getting involved in this argument but as the Attic keeps getting mentioned ( on this and other similar threads ) I'd just like to say we arent breaking loads of new sounds that no one knows - we try play some of the thousands of records that are mainly overlooked or ignored. These records are mainly from the 60s with some early 70s, some are up tempo, some are mid tempo.

Have a look at some of the playlists and if you dont know some of them track a soundfile down (easy with a computer) and have a listen, you might actually like it. A lot are similar to the traditional northern sound ( which I still love by the way )

Its not rocket science - ITS JUST GOOD SOUL MUSIC :ohmy: We do also play some records that might be called "oldies" as well :unsure:

PS the Attic is definately NOT an across the board venue

Well said :thumbup: ........

If a record is good , it is good enough to be played .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

I really liked Caspers post.

It is obvious he is passionate about what he does, and that is great in my book. I don't agree with it, but I can see where he is coming from and defend his right to do it, altho' I may take the p*ss a little but these guys can take it with a smile, which I admire. Charles Darwin would have a field day if he were still around, charting the evolutionary split that saw some progress beyond the Wigan era and some remain. It really is like that, looking at the youtube clips etc. Apart from the age thing, I could be watching Wigan '74/'75.

It has always been the case that those that move on, in whatever field, be it Martin Luther and Christian reformation, to Frank Whittle and the jet engine, all are fervent in their progression and want to take everyone else along to enjoy the 'brave new world' they have discovered. There will, however, always be those that insist the world is flat and nothing will change their mind.

We are all getting our enjoyment from the scene in different ways now, rather than in the past when we were all young and naive, and experiencing it new and fresh. These guys loved that time, and want to hang on to it, re-create that passion and fervour. I personaly don't believe it can be done, and dont really want to try, but good luck to 'em.

There will never be a united scene again. Some don't want to move forward, some don't want to step back.

Time to let it drop and go our separate ways, methinks.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

It is obvious he is passionate about what he does, and that is great in my book. I don't agree with it, but I can see where he is coming from and defend his right to do it, altho' I may take the p*ss a little but these guys can take it with a smile, which I admire. Charles Darwin would have a field day if he were still around, charting the evolutionary split that saw some progress beyond the Wigan era and some remain. It really is like that, looking at the youtube clips etc. Apart from the age thing, I could be watching Wigan '74/'75.

It has always been the case that those that move on, in whatever field, be it Martin Luther and Christian reformation, to Frank Whittle and the jet engine, all are fervent in there progression and want to take everyone else along to enjoy the 'brave new world' they have discovered. There will, however, always be those that insist the world is flat and nothing will change their mind.

We are all getting our enjoyment from the scene in different ways now, rather than in the past when we were all young and naive, and experiencing it new and fresh. These guys loved that time, and want to hang on to it, re-create that passion and fervour. I personaly don't believe it can be done, and dont really want to try, but good luck to 'em.

There will never be a united scene again. Some don't want to move forward, some don't want to step back.

Another highly creditable , and commendable statement , one I find that I identify with 100 % ........

Whatever you want to get " out " of the scene , then let it be so - it is your choice ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

you need bloody insurence to go near the dance floor now a days plain truth is they dont give a shit if they take your eye out and most i have seen cant f... dance to save there life . my girlfriend was nearly floored by an out of controll spinner lol , i can spinn very well i might ad but some peeps just do it if they are in your space or what .all the old nice way of oh sorry mate and so on has gone out the window with me. rolleyes.gif i just tel them to f... off out my space . most of um do just that lol

Social source share

It has always been the case that those that move on, in whatever field, be it Martin Luther and Christian reformation, to Frank Whittle and the jet engine, all are fervent in their progression and want to take everyone else along to enjoy the 'brave new world' they have discovered. There will, however, always be those that insist the world is flat and nothing will change their mind.

yes i agree with this nice one .

Social source share

hi JYMTG ! just to ansmer some of you concerns.... :lol:

you can really upset people, and afterall the person you upset may be at the next venue you attend ? all too easy when sat behind a keyboard....eh?

not a threat at all ..just an observation....not nice to be in a room with someone who has taken the piss or insulted the way you dress etc.so much better to not do it......me?..... i can take it in fun and don't get too out of shape about it on here...

and as i have said later on... i do like to hear new stuff.... but not one after the other for an hour.... just blend it...

and yes .. in the old days new sounds were in abundance....but they fitted the criteria so well !

.the next place i will be at is the brit on sept 6 im on there with steve brown from annesley come down say hello you might even hear some " northern" :thumbsup:

is the Brit not the venue that the promoters stole the flyers for another soul nite so that people may attend theirs? ....so we won't be there then...

just talking of that one point,have a word with someone you know about this when it comes to putting on an event to clash with well established ones.people who live in glass houses...... :yes:

i think you must be talking about Ray and the Robin Hood?....same nite as annesley ?.......well i remember the reason was that Annesley was not delivering at that time and was changing towards a not so favorable music policy (which it seems is now reverting ..good eh ? :D )....sooooooo, Ray put a 100% oldies night on... then a choice could be made as to where you may like to go, just filling the void left on Annesleys dance floor........seems at that time Ray's was more in favour..... oh well...and dont get me wrong.... me and pete taylor get on well....and i love Annesley

one thing we do agree on though.... there are too many venues local clashing and we don't need another at the moment.... :P

may try the Attic though ?

beats me why the local promoters dont get together some time and sort this lot out...... :lol: .....cant be that hard... ?

Pete n' susan xx

Edited by casper
Social source share

hi JYMTG ! just to ansmer some of you concerns.... :lol:

you can really upset people, and afterall the person you upset may be at the next venue you attend ? all too easy when sat behind a keyboard....eh?

not a threat at all ..just an observation....not nice to be in a room with someone who has taken the piss or insulted the way you dress etc.so much better to not do it......me?..... i can take it in fun and don't get too out of shape about it on here...

and as i have said later on... i do like to hear new stuff.... but not one after the other for an hour.... just blend it...

and yes .. in the old days new sounds were in abundance....but they fitted the criteria so well !

.the next place i will be at is the brit on sept 6 im on there with steve brown from annesley come down say hello you might even hear some " northern" :thumbsup:

is the Brit not the venue that the promoters stole the flyers for another soul nite so that people may attend theirs? ....so we won't be there then...

just talking of that one point,have a word with someone you know about this when it comes to putting on an event to clash with well established ones.people who live in glass houses...... :yes:

i think you must be talking about Ray and the Robin Hood?....same nite as annesley ?.......well i remember the reason was that Annesley was not delivering at that time and was changing towards a not so favorable music policy (which it seems is now reverting ..good eh ? :D )....sooooooo, Ray put a 100% oldies night on... then a choice could be made as to where you may like to go, just filling the void left on Annesleys dance floor........seems at that time Ray's was more in favour..... oh well...and dont get me wrong.... me and pete taylor get on well....and i love Annesley

one thing we do agree on though.... there are too many venues local clashing and we don't need another at the moment.... :P

beats me why the local promoters dont get together some time and sort this lot out...... :lol: .....cant be that hard... ?

Pete n' susan xx

Good comment pete I've not been to the Attic so prob join you as they say change is as good as a rest

Dennis

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

think casper has every right to his opinion and good on him,like a person who speaks their mind and sticks with it,it shows honesty.My problem is with the ethos of the baggy/oldies crowd.This scene is about soul music and peoples love of it,whilst l love all the oldies (the soul stuff anyway) l am also passionate about hearing newer stuff,where would we be if some dj's had not turned up the great stuff in the last 10 yrs and even now. The oldies crowd seem to not want to bother with any of this stuff regardless of how good it is.Some of the allnighters now play a great swathe of 60's/70's ect ect and slowly the classic sounds are being aired as they should be,now and then,not in great blocks as is the norm at oldies nights.They also seem to not want to forget about all the pop rubbish played in the 70's,as long as it was played at wigan then thats ok....suppose it is ,but not for me.As far as the clothing is concerned,l think they seem to need to show the world that they belong to the northern scene,that was ok back then when it was real cool to say to folk "l go to allnighters" as opposed to to the crap disco's that were about then,mainly because they didn't have a clue what you were on about,which made it all the more cool.You don't need to tell the world what you like through your clothes,you know yourself and that should be enough.The "baggies outfit" just seems to put the soul scene down,makes it look trivial and a bit childish. This is my view and it has always been the same and always will be the same.....as for carl piper being 50....well i'm 52 and still playing out at night lol atb tezza

Social source share

Guest rayskim

mrdarcy you would be right about casper one of the nicest people you could have the pleasure of meeting. Does his own thing in the nicest possible way always a pleasure to see him and sue out and about. I bet you are quite nice too.

LOL Kim

ps just off to a local nite :thumbsup:

Have a great weekend c thee soon

Social source share

Paul , you're right about appreciating the music first, then the dancing will follow :thumbsup:

But as for:

John Legend, Mary J Blige, R Kelly, Brian McKnight, Amy Winehouse even Duffy have all been played out with one of there modern tunes.

No "soul" singers in that group of 6 I'm afraid , the first four are Americans who happen to be black but are in reality nothing more than "pop" singers, and the last two are white pop singers who desperately try to sound black ... but fail miserably.

Surely one of the best compliments anyone can pay a tune is to get up and dance to it. That is appreciation!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

mrdarcy you would be right about casper one of the nicest people you could have the pleasure of meeting. Does his own thing in the nicest possible way always a pleasure to see him and sue out and about. I bet you are quite nice too.

LOL Kim

ps just off to a local nite :thumbsup:

Have a great weekend c thee soon

lol......maybe :P:lol::lol:

Social source share

one thing we do agree on though.... there are too many venues local clashing and we don't need another at the moment.... :boxing:

beats me why the local promoters dont get together some time and sort this lot out...... :shades: .....cant be that hard... ?

Pete n' susan xx

Casper, you're right about too many events clashing but then the Robin Hood have decided to hold an additional night this month - clashing with Bestwood (established for 6-7 years) and the Time allnighter at Derby - a good example of promoters not talking to one another.

There are about 30 monthly venues in the Notts / Derby area and while it's great to have a choice it doesn't make for a great night when the crowd is spread out between about 3 of them.

Apart from that thought the comments you've made in both your posts were constructive and made a lot of sense.

Social source share

one thing we do agree on though.... there are too many venues local clashing and we don't need another at the moment.... :shades:

beats me why the local promoters dont get together some time and sort this lot out...... :yes: .....cant be that hard... ?

Pete n' susan xx

Casper, you're right about too many events clashing but then the Robin Hood have decided to hold an additional night this month - clashing with Bestwood (established for 6-7 years) and the Time allnighter at Derby - a good example of promoters not talking to one another.

There are about 30 monthly venues in the Notts / Derby area and while it's great to have a choice it doesn't make for a great night when the crowd is spread out between about 3 of them.

Apart from that thought the comments you've made in both your posts were constructive and made a lot of sense.

ayup KJW

the do at Robin hood is more of a Birthday bash i think....? not only that the two "crowds" of Bestwood and Robin Hood are, (from my visits to Bestwood) like chalk N' cheese :ohmy: ....for the most part... and they are also quite a way in distance between ......as for the nighter well that will take from both to a small extent i feel?

fair to say though that cos RH is a birthday bash then it would not have crossed ray's mind ...

it is true for sure we are spread too thin...too many do's offering the same sort of nite...oldies or more modern....one reason sadly is that some of the local promoters do not all get on with each other anyway...for one reason or another...what a real shame cos they are all nice people in thier own right, they just clash on a personal level...so they go seperate ways to the same goal with the end result...more nites :shhh:

i am so glad i am not a promoter... ( though i do put Rays night up for him, Ray and pc,s dont mix lol :D ).....we just go and enjoy the nights and the people....and hope everyone has a great time (and wear what they want...including tripping over and making it look like acrobatics :boxing: )

KTF Pete n' Susan :g:

Social source share

ayup KJW

the do at Robin hood is more of a Birthday bash i think....? not only that the two "crowds" of Bestwood and Robin Hood are, (from my visits to Bestwood) like chalk N' cheese :shades: ....for the most part... and they are also quite a way in distance between ......as for the nighter well that will take from both to a small extent i feel?

fair to say though that cos RH is a birthday bash then it would not have crossed ray's mind ...

it is true for sure we are spread too thin...too many do's offering the same sort of nite...oldies or more modern....one reason sadly is that some of the local promoters do not all get on with each other anyway...for one reason or another...what a real shame cos they are all nice people in thier own right, they just clash on a personal level...so they go seperate ways to the same goal with the end result...more nites :ohmy:

i am so glad i am not a promoter... ( though i do put Rays night up for him, Ray and pc,s dont mix lol :g: ).....we just go and enjoy the nights and the people....and hope everyone has a great time (and wear what they want...including tripping over and making it look like acrobatics :boxing: )

KTF Pete n' Susan :yes:

Fair comment :shhh:

Social source share

Top dancers that I've seen recently under 25 is 'no-one', frankly. 25-35, is Jay Stirland and a dynamite lass here in LA....she's perfect.

35 and up.....Trickster, Keb Darge, Andy Cobb.

They make the drop step look so easy, I could almost hate them for it.

Added bonus is Jerry IDJ.....incredible.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

as for carl piper being 50....well i'm 52 and still playing out at night lol atb tezza

Terry we all know you nip out to the car at burnlely for a couple of hours kip!!!!

ha ha ....no l don't,l have a kip in a dark corner away from those starey eyes :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 12shades

been playing some tunes for Ray's dance night at the Robin Hood to find a thirteen year old wanting to do some dancing. playing some soul music after 10 min this little chap was dancing, then he went straight into a one handed hand stand with a twist with floor work got to be good for Northern Soul.

Dennis

Wow....of course........EXPRESS YOURSELF,thank the lord that the youths are involved in this magical music, progression.........EXPRESS YOURSELF!!!!!1

Social source share

I can't believe this !! the lad is enjoying himself so good on him the only problem is if the dance floor is full as this type of moves take up to much room.If keb debarge was doing it you say what a great dancer ( i don't like it myself but i don't dance in a classic way but i don't do it for you so stuff it i you don't like it get on the floor you self so you don't have to watch him from the side lines.

Social source share

Oh boll**ks! Lets not turn this into one of them 'Attracting new blood' arguments again! :thumbup:

I don't care how old he is 13 or 31 I don't like acrobatics and floorwork, never have, never will. I like dancing and dancers, not gymnasts, most of whom can't actually dance worth a s**t inbetween 'tricks'!

'nuff said.

Im with you on this one Trevski :P

Bazza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert