• Replies 71
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

Owners name in the run out!

Any more that spring to mind or anyone any memories?

Steve J

Not in the run-out, but when I was about 16 or 17 I bought a second-hand copy of Marvin & Tammi's "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" on UK Tamla Motown. The previous owner had written their name on the label in black biro. (It was Cats DJ Graham Warr! - but I didn't know him then, obviously) I still have it. I mentioned it to him for the first time recently.

PS. I am also the proud owner of a copy of Louise Lewis on Skyway with RUSS (sic) written on it in biro and black marker pen... (offers??) :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Mart B

Never been a collector only pressings i have in my posession :thumbup: but it was the in thing around the Mansfield area in the 7ts to initial your tune that you brought.Maybe thats why Rob Marriott & Jim Winsoura along with Dennis Banners names keep croping up as they were big collectors/djs at their time on the scene.

Social source share

my copy of out of sights has N.Parker in run out groove. Think it was Keb's copy that Nigel Parker then had and sold via Rod. Also had a couple of records off Mick Atherton (Skelly) that had Steve Vickers little quip on them something along the lines of "steves top pop pick" or similar - not got them now but one was connie questell on decca.

cheers

phil

Social source share

steve smith used to do this with his stafford stuff etc , moses smith and the sweets steve ? i belive, i have got several records with old mates names on, and every time they see them they say "i wonder were that went..you nicked it, give it me back you little shit" so im not telling you owt else :thumbup: ezzie

AS I HAVE SUGGESTED PREVIOUSLY "LOG BOOKS " FOR RECORDS ON THE SCENE WOULD BE GREAT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

If anybody has records with NL in the run out groove, they belonged to a North Walian called Nick Lyde, who was a big collector DJ when I first got on the scene back in the early 70's.

Social source share

Mick Webb, known as Cockney Mick, from Slough used to do this.

He also used to write stuff on the covers of his sales box items in an attempt to urge punters to buy. Things like "Is this brill or wot?" - old mate of mine took to collecting the covers.

I used to have some of Mick Webbs stuff, got a wdj of Dana Valery with "Lewi from runcorn" scratched in run out, got it off Kev Cox ages ago, thing is i used to meet with Lewi at the Patton arms Warrington on way to Wigan to errrrr swap things etc biggrin.gif:lol:

Kev said he bought it at the 100 club years ago.

Ian.

Social source share

I used to have some of Mick Webbs stuff, got a wdj of Dana Valery with "Lewi from runcorn" scratched in run out, got it off Kev Cox ages ago, thing is i used to meet with Lewi at the Patton arms Warrington on way to Wigan to errrrr swap things etc biggrin.gif:lol:

Kev said he bought it at the 100 club years ago.

Ian.

Was only talking to someone Sat night about Lewi , wonder where he is now ? Always had some nice records .Also Hovis , anyone remember him ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Funny this thread came up as I was looking through Ginger Taylor's box recently and came across his copy of Lenny Curtis "Nothing Can Help You Now" and for some reason decided to check the condition and saw "A Frank Discovery" stencilled-into the dead wax! I can't remember doing it but it was deffo my old copy......

Still looked great too!

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Funny this thread came up as I was looking through Ginger Taylor's box recently and came across his copy of Lenny Curtis "Nothing Can Help You Now" and for some reason decided to check the condition and saw "A Frank Discovery" stencilled-into the dead wax! I can't remember doing it but it was deffo my old copy......

Still looked great too!

Ian D :D

Ian realy is a nice feeling when you get back somthing you should never of sold in the first place :lol: re the S/F on swan for me :) .

Steve J

Social source share

Last year I found a copy of Wilson Pickett on Verve...in Tokyo...with 'Andy Rix' scratched into the deadwax!

:lol:

Whhhhaaaa now that's creepy wonder if he saw you in the shop and said hey lets have a laugh with Dave.

I once walked down a beach for a good hour a pebble beach and picked up a stone, on the other side in red paint it said F++K OFF just my luck out of a billion stones.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Whhhhaaaa now that's creepy wonder if he saw you in the shop and said hey lets have a laugh with Dave.

I once walked down a beach for a good hour a pebble beach and picked up a stone, on the other side in red paint it said F++K OFF just my luck out of a billion stones.

:D:(:lol: I try and keep away from the beach f*^kin detest sand now i have a second excuse for the other half thumbup.gif

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Was only talking to someone Sat night about Lewi , wonder where he is now ? Always had some nice records .Also Hovis , anyone remember him ? Best ,Eddie

Hi Eddie remember Hovis well,Oldham lad,he and Lewi used to do the early sessions in M's.Not seen either in years but remember hovis playing court Davis to me before he sold it to Dicky

ATB

Salmon

Social source share

Just recently got a copy of the Ebonys - "Don't Knock Me" with S Plumb scratched in the runout

Hi Don

That was summat i did for a very short while in the mid 70's.........................along with the stupidest thing ever, an 'X' on the top side! I soon realised this was a stupid thing to do though.............Thankfully, I could only afford pressings and cheap originals at the time, so I never defaced owt rare!

I remember getting that lovely 'Green' label Ebonys from a Soul Pack and only sold it cos i replaced it with a 'Gold' issue. Don't think it had an 'X' on it though?

I see you played it recently at soulgalore too? Fabulous record that still sounds great now!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

BUYER BEWARE :lol:

All it needs now is for anyone of those owners to claim that certain records of theirs have been lost or stolen and they state that they are easily identified, as they have ther name scratched into the run out groove :thumbsup::lol: I can just see loads of collectors scratching names out as you read this :D

Im not even gonna start looking for any scratched names through my collection, mine are all identified as they all have holes in the middle and are round. :lol:

The Man In Black

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert