Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do

Guest Beeks

Just wondering if this gets any rotation?

Think its a fantastic record and well worth the money in my eyes...the arrangement is fantastic and the overall feel of the record leaves you with a smile on your face :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think its a fantastic record and well worth the money in my eyes...the arrangement is fantastic and the overall feel of the record leaves you with a smile on your face :rolleyes:

it got a lot of plays a few years ago not so much now, yes awesome tune.

mark

Social source share

Guest bradcam

Top tune. I played it out a couple of months ago at the Kelso National scooter rally. Seemed to go down well. My missus hates it, says it sounds like a U.S. sitcom theme from the 70s! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Top tune. I played it out a couple of months ago at the Kelso National scooter rally. Seemed to go down well. My missus hates it, says it sounds like a U.S. sitcom theme from the 70s! :rolleyes:

Was just gauging whether it would go down well in a northern set because its one of them really isn't it :)

Social source share

A brilliant record and we must give credit to soul-sourcer Dave Thorley for having the guts to spin it at Stafford, as in terms of feel and sensibility it was somewhat removed from the norm at the time and was all the more welcome for that.

For a period in the late 80s this was virtually the Northern Soul National Anthem. I still love it and play it at home occasionally but am glad that it doesn't get hammered up and down the country any more. As a piece of nostalgia it transports me back to heady days of youth and happy times.

Bobby Sheen was a great soul stylist with a god-given voice and the delicacy and craft in his approach is wonderfully portrayed in this tremendous 45. The Phillip Mitchell song manages to be both clever and moving, which is a tricky thing to pull off.

Regarding it sounding like a television theme, note that the strings were arranged by George Tipton, who composed the theme tunes to, among other things, Benson, The Golden Girls and Soap. Aside from stuff like that he was also responsible for scoring the strings on one of the most transcendent of all theme tunes, that of Midnight Cowboy in 1969.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

It's been played in "northern" sets for years, lots as already said.

You find the thread beneath you Chalky you can always look elsewhere :rolleyes:

I just happen to think it's an incredible record and thought id share the love :)

Social source share

You find the thread beneath you Chalky you can always look elsewhere :thumbup:

I just happen to think it's an incredible record and thought id share the love wink.gif

why would the thread be beneath me? you asked if it's been played and if it would go down well in northern sets, you got an answer. I agree with you fantastic record wink.gif

Social source share

A couple of years ago we worked really hard on a lead...usual stuff...guy worked in the record industry all his life, he died and left a basement full of records and his son just wants rid of them...etc etc

Eventually we got in there, i remember it was cup final day, we watched Liverpool beat West Ham in a bar about 10.00 then went to the guys place. Found some tasty stuff but what made the visit worthwhile was 7 minty copies of Bobby Sheen "Something new to do". When we got home, a couple of days went by and I had a call from Shifty, "Ere, `av you played your Bobby Sheens yet?" he says, "No" says I "Why?"...."Just fackin play it"....

So i did....and it was some other bloody record that was pressed with Bobby Sheen labels on it!!

somebody recognised it and it turned out to be something like Friends of Distinction or some other similar 70s band...

Gutted?.....not really, we often have a laugh about it. I might take `em back and ask for my $2.00 a copy refund one day!

On the same subject i had an email from Bobby Sheens son a couple of years ago saying his Dad had died and he wanted to collect all of his Dads records. At the time i could`nt help him but we exchanged a few emails and i made sure he knew of the popularity of Bobbys records in the uK.

Chris

Social source share

Think its a fantastic record and well worth the money in my eyes...the arrangement is fantastic and the overall feel of the record leaves you with a smile on your face :thumbup:

Have a listen to another one from him - If I ever thought I'd hurt you - never heard it played out but for me just as powerful and lyrical song

SNTD got a lot of plays about 18 months ago in the Midlands

Wulfie

Edited by Wulfie09
Social source share

Mustn't forget Pete Wid's involvement in the legend as I understand it was he who passed the record on to DT with the promise that it would one day be a monster; I believe he was referring to the other side and was somewhat nonplussed to hear Something New To Do blasting forth from the Top of The World speakers.

Social source share

A couple of years ago we worked really hard on a lead...usual stuff...guy worked in the record industry all his life, he died and left a basement full of records and his son just wants rid of them...etc etc

Eventually we got in there, i remember it was cup final day, we watched Liverpool beat West Ham in a bar about 10.00 then went to the guys place. Found some tasty stuff but what made the visit worthwhile was 7 minty copies of Bobby Sheen "Something new to do". When we got home, a couple of days went by and I had a call from Shifty, "Ere, `av you played your Bobby Sheens yet?" he says, "No" says I "Why?"...."Just fackin play it"....

So i did....and it was some other bloody record that was pressed with Bobby Sheen labels on it!!

somebody recognised it and it turned out to be something like Friends of Distinction or some other similar 70s band...

Gutted?.....not really, we often have a laugh about it. I might take `em back and ask for my $2.00 a copy refund one day!

On the same subject i had an email from Bobby Sheens son a couple of years ago saying his Dad had died and he wanted to collect all of his Dads records. At the time i could`nt help him but we exchanged a few emails and i made sure he knew of the popularity of Bobbys records in the uK.

Chris

once I found a bunch of copies of joe anderson "you and I" and when I played them they all played Nazereth "Love Hurts"... way worse (but more amusing) than a friends of distinction record.

That bobby sheen record actually got radio play in chicago and was a local hit.

Social source share

Interesting to hear that the Bobby Sheen record actually got plays as a new release on US radio: I'm guessing the other side.

The fact that it's not a rare record in any sense of the word led to its ubiquity on Northern Soul playlists after its initial exposure. Everyone who went to the states in the mid-late 80s seemed to come back with lots of copies of this 45, leading to it getting overplayed pretty quickly. But before it trickled down to that level it had real personality and magic and for that reason will always be a classic in my book.

Social source share

Gareth, Great memories of the tune, when i first started in the late 80s.

I remember going to Val Shiveleys on my first ever trip to the States in 1991 and he had quantity at $20...didnt want to be greedy so we took 2 each!

Chris

ps, B-side aint bad either, same as mel and Tim on stax.

ps. I love his "Come on and love me" track too....

Social source share

A brilliant record and we must give credit to soul-sourcer Dave Thorley for having the guts to spin it at Stafford, as in terms of feel and sensibility it was somewhat removed from the norm at the time and was all the more welcome for that.

For a period in the late 80s this was virtually the Northern Soul National Anthem. I still love it and play it at home occasionally but am glad that it doesn't get hammered up and down the country any more. As a piece of nostalgia it transports me back to heady days of youth and happy times.

Bobby Sheen was a great soul stylist with a god-given voice and the delicacy and craft in his approach is wonderfully portrayed in this tremendous 45. The Phillip Mitchell song manages to be both clever and moving, which is a tricky thing to pull off.

Regarding it sounding like a television theme, note that the strings were arranged by George Tipton, who composed the theme tunes to, among other things, Benson, The Golden Girls and Soap. Aside from stuff like that he was also responsible for scoring the strings on one of the most transcendent of all theme tunes, that of Midnight Cowboy in 1969.

Have to agree with Gareth on this,great tune,reminds me of my youth has well :D ....This and Gloria scott plus a load of others was the reason i went on the `dark side`to modern soul :thumbup: .Feel it did get `overplayed` that`s why i wondered what the flip was like and got a surprise ohmy.gif .

I bet you were gutted Chris although it could have been worst laugh.gif .

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

It's been played in "northern" sets for years, lots as already said.

I am sure we all agree, what a good record and well worth collecting. I do seem to recall it being played well before it was being championed/reactivated at Stafford.

Copies were still available around 76/77 locally in our home town.......and as the release date states 1972 and recieved radio play as a new release, back then.....its still sounds brilliant today. :thumbup: .

Social source share

This has gotten harder and harder to sell recently - you might even pick one up for £50 now. Does nothing for me whatsoever.

One mans lead is another mans gold Pete...anyone wants to offer me one for £50 ill snap their hand off :thumbup:

Social source share

Sounds better loud..doesn't hit the spot quite so much when played at home or at a small venue but it's perfect for a packer. Starts off slowly and builds up to the chorus...I can still hear the clapping. It's one of those "happy days" tunes...bit like Ruby Andrews and Jackie Wilson-Because of You. Maybe the reason that all three of these are so overplayed is because they are all excellent soul records :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

This has gotten harder and harder to sell recently - you might even pick one up for £50 now.

Agree with you on the above Pete - dare I say, due to the fact that it received a 45 release off WSM UK Lp After Hours N/S Masters series, backed or either fronted by Ben E King - I Cant Break The News To Myself.

Social source share

If you don't get one, I'll sell you my next one for £50 unless it's a demo then it'll be £60.

Tis a deal pete :thumbup:

PS. There's one im watching at the moment which might go for alot less haha

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Tis a deal pete :thumbup:

PS. There's one im watching at the moment which might go for alot less haha

hey you.

Before you go spending all next months wages,remember i have two that need paying for wicked.gif

Bobby Sheen has been a massive choon on the scene for many a moon mate

I was always gonna buy one and never found one at right price so sadly never got ,but it has passed me now.

Still love to hear it and get up and dance to it ,just no need to buy it cos most places i get to ,someone will play it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

hey you.

Before you go spending all next months wages,remember i have two that need paying for :ohmy:

Bobby Sheen has been a massive choon on the scene for many a moon mate

I was always gonna buy one and never found one at right price so sadly never got ,but it has passed me now.

Still love to hear it and get up and dance to it ,just no need to buy it cos most places i get to ,someone will play it :shades:

Dont worry Nev...already got you covered :yes:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Dont worry Nev...already got you covered :ohmy:

Hi Beeks

not sure if its been mentioned but t'other side of bobby Sheen is a decent tune as well.

"I may not be what you want" just never seems to get played much??

Maybe people who own it cant get passed playing "something" side.

Nev :shades:

Social source share

I'll tell you what it's got the same vibe as...have you heard Donald Byrd - Dominoes?

Completely different type track but it has the same feel to it biggrin.gif

Social source share

Definately booted as a demo in the late 80s /early 90s - would fool many.

I bought an issue about 15 years ago and it cost me £30 then, so in real terms its gone down in value.

THATS A DEFFO.

WAS @ NITERS WHEN PUNTERS WERE COMING IN WITH HANDFULLS OF BOOTS TO SELL,EASY TO SPOT I THOT WITH THE THICK EDGE & SEEING THROUGH THE VINYL WHEN HELD UP TO THE LIGHT.THINK THE OTHER TUNE IN THE PILES @ THE TIME WAS,LOVE ON A LEASE PLAN/JOANNE GARRETT??????.

Social source share

I'd have said that the other boot done by the same folks at the time was probably Bobbie Smith "Walk On In To My Heart" on American Arts

dont remember them @ the time(not saying you wrong,just seen these then).

just remember seeing bobby sheen w/d & joanne garrett yellow label @ £15 a time.

was the joanne garrett unissued?,havnt seen much of them since then.

Social source share

Mustn't forget Pete Wid's involvement in the legend as I understand it was he who passed the record on to DT with the promise that it would one day be a monster; I believe he was referring to the other side and was somewhat nonplussed to hear Something New To Do blasting forth from the Top of The World speakers.

The flipside "I May Not Be What You Want" was a biggie for me at the Windmill, Rotherham, late 70's (the Mel & Tim version). Can well see why Pete Wid would have initially favoured that side of the Bobby sheen 45 at the time.

The first 'Boots' appeared around 1990. Same time and source as the John & The Wierdist pressings.

They are distinctive as White Demos cos they list the wrong side as the 'Top' or 'Plug' side.

Hadn't realised that there was a Green Booty though, til I just saw this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kacBtG_xNX0

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Timeless tune, gets spun now & again, guarranteed floor filler here.

KTF

Baz

Think its a fantastic record and well worth the money in my eyes...the arrangement is fantastic and the overall feel of the record leaves you with a smile on your face :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert