KevH

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HI,just had a listen to..........

Melvin Brown & James Matthews - "Love stormy weather", on JM'S auction.

Take a listen to it,then to Dean Barlow.One track is gut wrenching soul,the other isn't.

Can you spot the difference??.

a lot of people are gonna hate me for this but, dean barlow is quirky, entertaining and brings a feeling of a bygone age to today, however melvin brown et al sounds like the forth best track of an lp by some late 70,s type performers who at the time failed at disco, its not gut wrenching soul its camp overacting, muzac i think its called, no sorry its crap, loads of tracks in a similar style on loads of cheap lp,s, i dont like it

Social source share

Take a listen to it,then to Dean Barlow.One track is gut wrenching soul,the other isn't.

Am I missing the point hear but I don't honestly see how you can compare two records that are recorded nearly twenty years apart, I have never heard some much crap in my life.

Think a bit more logically if you can.

Actually following on with your logic DB is pants compared to MBJM but that compared to The Kings Of Soul is shit, yeah I have got it now.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Am I missing the point hear but I don't honestly see how you can compare two records that are recorded nearly twenty years apart, I have never heard some much crap in my life.

Think a bit more logically if you can.

Actually following on with your logic DB is pants compared to MBJM but that compared to The Kings Of Soul is shit, yeah I have got it now.

Sorry,will not compare records in future.

I bow to your superior knowledge.That's put me in my place!.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

struggling Kev, can you give us a clue :thumbup:tongue.gif

Social source share

struggling Kev, can you give us a clue :thumbup:tongue.gif

Love Stormy Weather does nothing at all for me. I personally can't see the attraction, but I assume I'm in the minority. Is it a rarity thing ?

Dean Barlow however, is simply shite. (imo of course)

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Love Stormy Weather does nothing at all for me. I personally can't see the attraction, but I assume I'm in the minority. Is it a rarity thing ?

Dean Barlow however, is simply shite. (imo of course)

Totally in agreement with Steve on both counts.

'Loves Stormy Weather' caused a minor sensation when first played at Yarmouth, many moons ago.

Personally, I struggled with it. Good vocals wasted on a pretty dismal song IMO.

Far better 'easily obtainable' 70's tracks out there.

Definately a 'rarity' thing, but even as a piece of music it's still more appealing to my ears than the Dean Barlow.

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

Totally in agreement with Steve on both counts.

'Loves Stormy Weather' caused a minor sensation when first played at Yarmouth, many moons ago.

Personally, I struggled with it. Good vocals wasted on a pretty dismal song IMO.

Far better 'easily obtainable' 70's tracks out there.

Definately a 'rarity' thing, but even as a piece of music it's still more appealing to my ears than the Dean Barlow.

:unsure:

Sean

I too remember many flipping dips over LSW at Yarmouth way back. Again, I could never figure it out as a dancefloor record - yet it seemed to fill it with ease. But it still is a perfect accompinament to a chunk of Curtis' Pork Pie and a pint of Black sheep at the end of a hard day.

But as you say, so are many other cheaper 70s of a similar ilk - Jae Masons' 'Woman' and Phil Mitchells' 'There's another in my life' for instance.

Social source share

on the contrary Kev, I value your opinion on the Melvin tis a fantastic 70ts midtempo record and to bring attention to its quality is worth more than gold.

thanks.

spoken like a true soul lover and patron of the arts.Always considered yours a valued opinion too........

Slightly tongue in cheek thread ,sorry....so.....

maybe should have worded opening post,,"Can you tell which is which"? shades.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert