Pete S

• Replies 71
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A much (and unnecessarily) mailgned record IMO. It's a fabulous song (Bacharach and David, how could it not be) and a great example of early 'big city soul'

Can't see why anyone wouldn't like it. Not even Pete!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Simon

A much (and unnecessarily) mailgned record IMO. It's a fabulous song (Bacharach and David, how could it not be) and a great example of early 'big city soul'

thumbsup.gif

Well said Tone, it seems to be a bit trendy on here to slag it off, fabulous record imho!

Simon

Social source share

Because it doesn't belong on the Northern scene. Might be good in it's own right, but here? No way.

Social source share

or my

Sorry Tony, I have to agree with Pete, it,s crap.

For to early sounding for my taste, like a cross between C/W and R/R.

They are great song writers, but alot of there songs are not for me.

Social source share

Sorry Tony, I have to agree with Pete, it,s crap.

For to early sounding for my taste, like a cross between C/W and R/R.

They are great song writers, but alot of there songs are not for me.

That's what I meant Dave. Country and rock'n'roll and black pop. Way way too early sounding.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Country and rock'n'roll and black pop. Way way too early sounding.

None of which makes it a bad record, of course. And we've discussed a lot worse on here - and on far too many occasions to keep track of - in the name of soul, haven't we? :P

Social source share

None of which makes it a bad record, of course. And we've discussed a lot worse on here - and on far too many occasions to keep track of - in the name of soul, haven't we? :D

Just trying to move it away from 'Northern Soul' Tone - in that context, it is a bad record. On it's own - it's still a bad record :P

Social source share

I have to agree with Pete. Its the sort of bad pop record that stopped me going out on the Mod scene-sounds too much like something my dad would listen too along with his Jim Reeves and Everly Brothers lps :P

Edited by Reg
Social source share

sorry Tony,must disagree.This "tune",and i use the term loosely,is an awful example of Northern Soul.Absolutely love Bacharach,but even knowing he had a hand in it can't change my mind. :no: .

I'd rather jump from the third window,than endure this on a nite out.

Looks like i'll have to be on standby on Saturday mornings in future,hovering over the radio's "off" button. :D

Surely this record will get the send off it deserves at some stage.How you fixed Pete? :P

Social source share

and I agree wholeheartedly with you Pete I cant stand it...

Who first " gifted " the nation with this insult to the auditory senses ? .......

Dean Barlow - we would be better off with Ken :thumbup: ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I hadn't heard this, but had heard of it, so I was please when old Brian announced it. Got ot agree with Pete on this one. In a Northern sense, it was IMHO absolute drivel.

The track after was a totally different kettle of fish though. Billy Davis "I want You To Be My Baby" not soul, but great early Northern soul, and I preferr it to the Ellie Greenwich version. I know that may also spark a bit of debate.

Paul

Social source share

Just trying to move it away from 'Northern Soul' Tone - in that context, it is a bad record. On it's own - it's still a bad record :thumbup:

Possibly a contender along with George Flemmons as the worst soul record ever made?, perhaps KR can do a northern soul WORST 500 book, these two would be Nos one and two!

:lol:

Lenny

Social source share

Who first " gifted " the nation with this insult to the auditory senses ? .......

Dean Barlow - we would be better off with Ken :P ...........

Malc Burton

Good question - who do we blame??.. :P:lol: . Have always hated it and always left the room when it starts. Biggest overpriced waste of money ever.... what is soulful about that vocal???..

It reminds me of blackpool alldayers I think... reminds me of Carl Willingham or Rolly Ferguson..

(not saying either of them played it first though, as I might be totally wrong!)

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I think it's more for R&B Popcorn night where their are more new discoveries' than on the Northern Scene until your alternate soul DJ pounces on the tune.

Funny when I play it or hear it out it fills the floor with a groan or a core from the crowed as they race to the dance floor, strange there are not more broad minded listeners voicing there opinion on this thread.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I think it's more for R&B Popcorn night where their are more new discoveries' than on the Northern Scene until your alternate soul DJ pounces on the tune.

Funny when I play it or hear it out it fills the floor with a groan or a core from the crowed as they race to the dance floor, strange there are not more broad minded listeners voicing there opinion on this thread.

I've noticed it used to fill the floor too, not heard it out for a while. I think there were certain tunes in the RnB rooms a few years ago that had their moment depending on which DJ was playing them. If a certain DJ played them,then the floor would fill and the price of the record flew up. Despite the fact that

other's had played them for a while previously and got a negative response.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Maybe broad minded wasn't the term to use but a more early 60ts ear.

well, my friend Marilyn is very broad minded musically, loves her early 6T's and RnB and

I was surprised when she agreed that it's a shite dreadful record... (IMO) :lol:

Jayne.x

Social source share

well, my friend Marilyn is very broad minded musically, loves her early 6T's and RnB and

I was surprised when she agreed that it's a shite dreadful record... (IMO) :lol:

Jayne.x

I am sure if you put up a list of records you and marilyn like I could find a few that are shite in their as well every body has likes and disslikes.

I personaly don't know of anyone who dosent like this record but then I am down South most clubs have younger Mod crowed in.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

g.gif Don't really hate it as such i suppose, & i do quite like these type of tunes.... but what i can't understand is why it became such a 'big' tune when there are so many other similar that are much better ? Lets face it you could take any of probably a dozen Ben E King tunes that could p*** all over this & are 150 x cheaper..... All in my opinion of course biggrin.gif Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

can't imagine the legand playing this somehow dave wink.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I prefer Dean Barlow "Don't let him take my baby."

Third Window From The Right has suffered from too much overplay imo.

Suz biggrin.gif

x

it suffered badly from being recorded lol laugh.gif

Social source share

to all those who put a thread on about dean barlow. lets have your top 10 records posted, then lets see who's top ten records become total crap . this one should be a interesting exercise to see what you class as northern soul to what others regard as total shit. just curious to see what makes a expert on what is soul. lets see who agrees with who. what is the uk top 10 soul records . what is the u.k top 10 worst records.................many thanks...swo sleep3.gif

Edited by swoz
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I like Dean Barlow and it's something different it can't be no worse then Duffy

As Martin Stanford would say it's the marmite song you either love it or hate it and he can't stop playing it when he DJ's

Social source share

I am sure if you put up a list of records you and marilyn like I could find a few that are shite in their as well every body has likes and disslikes.

I personaly don't know of anyone who dosent like this record but then I am down South most clubs have younger Mod crowed in.

I'm sure you could, and would tell me many record I like are shite, many people do!. :thumbsup:

Maybe it's a north / south thing then?, wonder if we were playing it earlier and it had it's day up here whilst still getting played more down south?...

just guessing..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Do you not know many people than? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe it's a north / south thing then?, wonder if we were playing it earlier and it had it's day up here whilst still getting played more down south?...

just guessing..

Jayne.x.

More likely the other way round as the North is usually playing our casts off long after we've got bored with them.

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert