It's Not The Falcons

Just received a copy of the fantastic Falcons cd from Sonny Munro. Spent a fascinating evening at his home revisiting past glories and reliving former triumphs. One of the things he did tell me was that the "You've got the power' track that is credited to the group is definitely not them. It is, in fact, Deon Jackson and appeared on the second Hayley cd 'Ain't that something' under its correct affiliation. Another conundrum that continues to astound many is the identity and lineage of 'Doll Face' on the Enterprise label out of Detroit. One side of the single is 'Please return' with songwriting credits to The Falcons (C.Munro, A. Halliwell, J.Alain and J. Gibson) yet Sonny has no memory of the song at all. Nothing is mentioned in the sleeve notes of the latest cd about it either - a real Poirot moment indeed. Can anyone help?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just received a copy of the fantastic Falcons cd from Sonny Munro. Spent a fascinating evening at his home revisiting past glories and reliving former triumphs. One of the things he did tell me was that the "You've got the power' track that is credited to the group is definitely not them. It is, in fact, Deon Jackson and appeared on the second Hayley cd 'Ain't that something' under its correct affiliation. Another conundrum that continues to astound many is the identity and lineage of 'Doll Face' on the Enterprise label out of Detroit. One side of the single is 'Please return' with songwriting credits to The Falcons (C.Munro, A. Halliwell, J.Alain and J. Gibson) yet Sonny has no memory of the song at all. Nothing is mentioned in the sleeve notes of the latest cd about it either - a real Poirot moment indeed. Can anyone help?

Thanks for the info about the deon jackson doing 'you got the power'. It was funny because in another thread someone said that it was the falcons in the same session as the firestones on karen (which sounds nothing like the other falcons tracks) and now that story even makes less sense.

Did sonny hear the doll face 45 and remember it? If doll face is the alias of the female singer (e.g. not a group name), is it possible that the falcons do backup on the record? The falcons have pretty distinctive harmony, does it sound like them at all on the record? Thanks.

Social source share

Hi Rob

Regarding the "doll face"

Its also on a compilation cd with sleeve notes provided by Tim Brown which suggest,

The song was penned by THE FALCONS and it is possibly them on backing vocals?

Lead vocal is a mystery though.

Social source share

"You've got the power' track that is credited to the group is definitely not them. It is, in fact, Deon Jackson and appeared on the second Hayley cd 'Ain't that something' under its correct affiliation.

I think I can shed light on the confusion here...let's go back to 1988...

This previously unissued track came across to Charly Records for licensing from Johnny Powers in the late 80's. The cassette had it listed as by The Falcons and the compiler of the the Charly LP that featured it (Motor City Magic vol.II) just followed the info supplied from Johnny. If they had given me the tapes in the first place and allowed me to do the compilation/sleeve note justice, this error would've been pointed out prior to pressing.

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert