films: Function At the Junction (new film)

Mike

film watch 2008 :lol:

is the count still at only 3 films planned?

has there been any more words on the latest one annouced ?

the one with a tv producer in charge and so far a cast feat russ w as a bouncer?

anyway seems the second one annouced "function at the junction" is fairly solid

Ex-Libertine Barat revealed he and drinking buddy Ronson are working on a track for a forthcoming movie about the Northern Soul phenomenon.

Barat revealed he is a recent convert to the genre, though he has also loved soul legend Jackie Wilson.

from

https://itn.co.uk/news/09b1e36d91202e05fb2e355618e30904.html

video there names function as the film

know more ?

feel free to add

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This can`t be the same as the video ive seen is it mike? the one with dennis pennis in it is it? god that was funny laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

nope same title

but this is one that has

Sadie Frost and Rhys Irfan annouced as cast

was on front page a week or two ag

o

Social source share

Guest Bogue

:D:D Thought it read 'Borat' when i read this, the 'ex Libertines' bit meant nothing to me (not up on the chart stuff these days :lol: ) Nearly choked on me cocoa :lol::lol:

:g: But then again.........it could be a bit of casting genious !!

Swap the shirt & tie for a Fred Perry & this could easily pass for a punter on his way to Wigan early 80's :g:

post-5566-1217464798_thumb.jpg

Social source share

nope same title

but this is one that has

Sadie Frost and Rhys Irfan annouced as cast

was on front page a week or two ago

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...rost-rhys-ifans

I posted this reply when several weeks ago , when Mike first brought it to our notice ......

I have attempted to have a dig around concerning this , but to no avail ......

Brought to our attention by yourself Mike , this attempt to bring the SWONS - again - to the big screen , is stated to have a working title of " Function At The Junction " , which has got me thinking as to whether this upcoming - if it ever materialises

- cinematic treat , will be a reworking of the TV short of the same name , that was aired in 2002 , featuring Steve Cato ........

If it is to be a reworking of " FATJ " , and if Rhys Ifans is to be involved , let us hope that it will be in the role of the DJ , which was played in the "FATJ " by the irretating / talentless Paul Kaye ( which we know , was a thinly disguised Soul Sam ) , and if this be the case , it must be ensured that RI combines his portrayals of previous characters Jeremy Lewis ( Twin Town ) and Tall Paul ( Kevin and Perry Go Large ) , in order to make it work .......

Interesting if it is / happens , but I doubt if I will lose sleep in the meantime , waiting for developments / news ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

It's staggering that - after all this time - the international movie industry has still yet to make a major motion picture either directly based on the Northern Soul scene or at least using the scene as the basis or backdrop (pardon the pun) for a movie.

And I've always suspected that is due to the defining characteristic that is unique only to the Northern Soul scene like no other ... which is for the last 40 years whenever the outside / commercial world has taken one step towards the Northern Soul scene, the scene has then promptly taken two steps in the opposite direction with the middle finger firmly raised .... :lol:

Social source share

I posted this reply when several weeks ago , when Mike first brought it to our notice ......

I have attempted to have a dig around concerning this , but to no avail ......

Brought to our attention by yourself Mike , this attempt to bring the SWONS - again - to the big screen , is stated to have a working title of " Function At The Junction " , which has got me thinking as to whether this upcoming - if it ever materialises

- cinematic treat , will be a reworking of the TV short of the same name , that was aired in 2002 , featuring Steve Cato ........

If it is to be a reworking of " FATJ " , and if Rhys Ifans is to be involved , let us hope that it will be in the role of the DJ , which was played in the "FATJ " by the irretating / talentless Paul Kaye ( which we know , was a thinly disguised Soul Sam ) , and if this be the case , it must be ensured that RI combines his portrayals of previous characters Jeremy Lewis ( Twin Town ) and Tall Paul ( Kevin and Perry Go Large ) , in order to make it work .......

Interesting if it is / happens , but I doubt if I will lose sleep in the meantime , waiting for developments / news ........

Malc Burton

Thinly disguised Soul Sam :P ... Do you really think the production team had heard of or ever seen soul sam :D .. I will ask the producer/director though out of interest..

I liked the part played by Paul Kaye, as did many others but i can see how he pissed a few off also :lol:

Thanks for bringing this news of FATJ to my attention... Its been a long time coming...

Social source share

Will there be any vampires as being open all night we obviously had quite a few in. That part of the scene has always been glossed over by those who went and I'll probably get it in the neck for bringing it up now.

I think this would widen the film's appeal especially if you throw in some gratuitous nudity. Jane that is,as I have no wish to see Joe's dangly bits.

ROD

Social source share

Quality :lol::lol:

Will there be any vampires as being open all night we obviously had quite a few in. That part of the scene has always been glossed over by those who went and I'll probably get it in the neck for bringing it up now.

I think this would widen the film's appeal especially if you throw in some gratuitous nudity. Jane that is,as I have no wish to see Joe's dangly bits.

ROD

Social source share

SOULED OUT, a project so long in development that maybe many out there had thought it was never going to happen, starts shooting in Stoke on August 19th. Starring Martin Compston, Nichola Burley, Felicity Jones, Alfie Allen and Pat Shortt, it's directed by Shimmy Marcus and is planned for a summer '09 release.

And wait 'til you see those flares!

I'll keep dropping by with updates, but more info can be found on Ipso Facto films' website.

Cheers,

Jeff Williams,

Writer, Souled Out.

Is this not a different topic title ... I did not see souled out in the topic title.. Just start your own thread or people could get confused... You can drop in my freind with info, just do it in your own topic.... I think thats the rules on here g.gif..

You could also introduce yourself in the new members section, its always nice to know a thing or two about new members...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

film watch 2008 laugh.gif

is the count still at only 3 films planned?

has there been any more words on the latest one annouced ?

the one with a tv producer in charge and so far a cast feat russ w as a bouncer?

anyway seems the second one annouced "function at the junction" is fairly solid

from

https://itn.co.uk/news/09b1e36d91202e05fb2e355618e30904.html

video there names function as the film

know more ?

feel free to add

London Paper carried a column in tonight's issue (Mon 4th) States Carl Barat (Dirty pretty Things) singer is to team up with Ronson on the theme tune...

Also Stars Rhys Ifans...just watched him in kevin and Perry last night, Hilarious swigging liquor through his eye! Eye Ball Pete in fact..

They will want to cast all the 'On Scene Luvies' of course , You all know who you are!!!

Moi X

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

:huh::D Thought it read 'Borat' when i read this, the 'ex Libertines' bit meant nothing to me (not up on the chart stuff these days :thumbup: ) Nearly choked on me cocoa :D:(

:g: But then again.........it could be a bit of casting genious !!

Swap the shirt & tie for a Fred Perry & this could easily pass for a punter on his way to Wigan early 80's :(

post-5566-1217464798_thumb.jpg

Or Stoke last month. ph34r.gif

Social source share

I see the vampire angle is not to be then.

What about an allegory for the ill-fated invasion of Iraq? Russ had a tash and so did Saddam.I don't think Russ had anyone killed though. Also the Beachcomber cafe conjures up in my mind the image of sand and I knew a guy at Wigan called Derek whose name could be changed to Derrick so that's the oil sorted. Jane could wear a tank top. G.I. Joe obviously.

Needs a bit of tweaking yet to get Ken Loach interested.

ROD

Social source share

I see the vampire angle is not to be then.

What about an allegory for the ill-fated invasion of Iraq? Russ had a tash and so did Saddam.I don't think Russ had anyone killed though. Also the Beachcomber cafe conjures up in my mind the image of sand and I knew a guy at Wigan called Derek whose name could be changed to Derrick so that's the oil sorted. Jane could wear a tank top. G.I. Joe obviously.

Needs a bit of tweaking yet to get Ken Loach interested.

ROD

Methinks you're not a fan of the media interest then Rod? He He!

Go on.....who'd you like play you and Dave in the record bar? He He!

Social source share

Well obviously a starring role for me and my daughter - I have danced with Carl Barat at a wedding and Mark Ronson tried to steal my daughter's wellies at Wakestock last year. Clearly bezzie mates so we should be well in. Red carpet here we come!!

Social source share

I'm confused. :lol:

As I'm a bit simple can someone just bullet point what films are planned - it sounds like three?

And what is the tv short featuring the bloke on speed?

The short film Function at the junction is the one with the bloke on speed..it's the actor who played Cracker's son...been in loads of stuff, forgotten his name. Mr Cato is in it with a huge afro tongue.gif They are now doing a full length feature based on this. Then there's the other film Souled out mentioned by JeffW above-he's the writer I think

Social source share

The short film Function at the junction is the one with the bloke on speed..it's the actor who played Cracker's son...been in loads of stuff, forgotten his name. Mr Cato is in it with a huge afro :lol: They are now doing a full length feature based on this. Then there's the other film Souled out mentioned by JeffW above-he's the writer I think

What's the Function one called and is there a film of Once Upon A Time In Wigan as well. I want to play Anna Ford.

Social source share

The short film Function at the junction is the one with the bloke on speed..it's the actor who played Cracker's son...been in loads of stuff, forgotten his name. Mr Cato is in it with a huge afro :lol: They are now doing a full length feature based on this. Then there's the other film Souled out mentioned by JeffW above-he's the writer I think

That's a bit clearer then.

So the shorty then - is that the one with Steve Cato on the train?

Social source share

think may be better if have an go at being organised later on and start 2 or 3 threads

one for each film

ie

one for "function at junction"

one for "souled out"

and maybe one for the unnamed one if get any more info on that posted

will move the relevant posts and all that in a bit

as seems there's a few members involved in the various projects

and sure it be of interest (and maybe clear up some of the confusion :lol: )

as said feel free to post up

Social source share

That's a bit clearer then.

So the shorty then - is that the one with Steve Cato on the train?

That's a different one again :lol: Function in the Junction(short) was released on dvd with a documentary called Soul Function and Steve played one of the dancers in a competition . That's the one with Paul Kaye as the dj and the speed freak :lol: The one on the train with just Steve travelling to London was a three minute thing for Channel 4 wink.gif

Social source share

That's a different one again :lol: Function in the Junction(short) was released on dvd with a documentary called Soul Function and Steve played one of the dancers in a competition . That's the one with Paul Kaye as the dj and the speed freak :lol: The one on the train with just Steve travelling to London was a three minute thing for Channel 4 wink.gif

Bloody hell! :lol:

So Function in the Junction (short) can be purchased then? I'll go and google it.

Thanks

Social source share

maybe not as easy as first seemed

anyway have split to three

one each for the two with titles

one for general film stuff (this one)

that didnt work tongue.gif:lol:

split into two and leaving as is

if needed will sort later

off to rearrange the bath towels

Social source share

"The plot looks riveting"

I checked it out yesterday. My thoughts exactly,Paul. I can't imagine that the Northern scene is that interesting to an outsider or that we are that narcissistic that we'd put up with any old derivative tosh ["Dirty Dancing" and "Save the last dance" spring to mind] just to see ourselves reflected on the screen.

I caught that "Function..." short at the time and to me it was extremely vacuous and amateur. Sometimes see the actor outta "Brookside in our local Sainsbury's and I keep meaning to go up and ask him WTF it was all about!!!!

Still think the vampire angle is the way to go and there's plenty of undead extras available at your local modern soul night.

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert