Taste Abuse

Barry

Did your elders and betters ridicule your taste when you were bottom of the pile bitd?

Now I know there's the usual ribbing factor, but didn't it sometimes go beyond that?

I remember taking some beatings about my 70's and 80's purchases, but I rode them and here I am....but didn't it feel shit at the time?

I told you I use this site as a form of therapy.

Anyone else?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Modern Skip Tone

I remember taking some beatings about my 70's and 80's purchases, but I rode them and here I am....but didn't it feel shit at the time?

Anyone else?

Social source share

Anyone else?

Sure did Barry, but more so by older soul folks who stuck with the "no we dont like change" and "you would not catch me listening to that shite or anywhere near that room". More so during the early development of the modern scene, as well you witnessed yourself Barry and still today in some quarters.

But now its quite funny because these older folks, are now back active but within the seventies and early eighties rediscovery scene ........ asking for records, asking will you sell x or y, when was this played and where!!!! ....so it "was" my turn to be a shit, turncoats, that's my form of therapy.

Most of the beatings these days though are verbal and via these forums!! :D :D :D

Social source share

I remember Barry . Whilst spinning Tony Troutman , Ronnie Mcneir and Storm even good friends would say

"Thats shit , its not rare" " No big deal" and you know what even some pushing and shoving involved at the bar :D:D Its the same for the plinky plonk stuff these days ! :P:D

Social source share

I'm with you lot on this.

I like fresh attitudes, always have.

I find with a lot of older people, that attitudes get entrenched and they can be a bit inflexible at times. Everytime I find myself going in that direction, I kick myself and try and have an objective viewpoint about stuff. :D

The fact is that there is wealth of great music out there. I've had a bit more time to spare over the last couple of years and I can honestly say, just lately I'm listening to some of the most inspiring music I've ever heard in my life from a variety of sources - not just Northern or Modern Soul but other areas too. :D

And I've been at this lark for a good 40+ years now! :D

You're NEVER too old to learn and you're NEVER too young to fall in love.

Ian D :P

Social source share

So hows Ableton going Ian and have you heard a Butch set yet ? :D

Oh blimey. I just can't seem to get to it yet mate. I'm really not that great at reading instruction manuals and I know it'll take an age to get my head around it all. Put it this way, I won't actually enjoy learning it - I'm only using it as a bloody tool but I know it'll involve hours of frustration ultimately....

But I'll look at the tutorial this week.....promise.

Also just surviving is a challenge at the moment - juggling so much stuff it's ridiculous. Compilation albums/Venues/Production Stuff/E-Bay & Discogs Sales etc, etc whilst seeing what will happen with the music biz is a full-time job in itself LOL.....

I think I caught a Butch set @ Prestatyn didn't I? I wasn't exactly stood over the decks like your good self but I'm pretty sure I caught him play (I don't actually know what he looks like although I'm pretty sure I must have bumped into him before at some point). Also caught some of Sam's set @ Prestatyn too......

Playing catch-up is fun! :D

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Most of the beatings these days though are verbal and via these forums!! :D:D:D

Hello Dodger :P - but its all fun, if not taken to heart.

Regards from the guilty and the not so guilty,

Nick.

Social source share

Heres two pretty funky dj's , good mates too . Do you know em Ian D?

Well, I thought Colin C was a roadie for the Grateful Dead when I bumped into him in Birmingham a couple of years back LOL......

And I don't recognise the guy on the right but that's not unusual for me - I don't recognise a lot of people from back in the day.....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

But so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o many people do, Nick, as we've both found out to our cost in the past mate!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yes indeed but still greater for it, some say on the other forum we have issues, no their 100 percent original "essential" replies, addressed at once, then like our collections - there's no matter of re issuse..... :D .

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

I'm with you lot on this.

Correct me if I am wrong - Dewsbury......so we are all in agreement as at this last post...... :lol: .

Social source share

Troop;

I remember jocking for Neil Rushton at the Birmingham Locarno Aldayers, I had a full head of hair then too, , Id just spun "I dont know about you" and was half way through "Five minutes" and I was approached quite menaceingly by a baggy trousered individual with a beer towel hanging from his waist, mind you he was wearing a shirt and not the obligatory vest,he shouted the immortal words "get this f------ modern shit off " whilst clenching a rather large fist.

I wonder how much he's paid for these two tunes now that they are accepted on his scene?

Gouch

Social source share

blimey gouch what year was that ?

Dunno mate but during that period Colin Curtis jocked after me at one of the aldayers and played "So nobody else can hear " as a new release, I took the Monday off work and bought a copy from Graham Warr's Oasis shop.Early 80's ish. Im at work so cant get at the album to check the date.

AND I did have hair at that time too..........

Gouch

Social source share

I can't believe no one has mentioned that rogue Peter Smith yet. :lol:

He abuses everything modern - and smashes records up. Having said that, and to be fair to him, his abuse is normally directed at the records themselves. :lol:

Cue Mr Smith to tell me to fook off!

laugh.gif

Social source share

Dunno mate but during that period Colin Curtis jocked after me at one of the aldayers and played "So nobody else can hear " as a new release, I took the Monday off work and bought a copy from Graham Warr's Oasis shop.Early 80's ish. Im at work so cant get at the album to check the date.

AND I did have hair at that time too..........

Gouch

Gouch that was harsh from that chap considering the records you played , look at the playlists for Sam , Art and Mario at the Locrano shocking !! :lol:

Brum Locarno All Dayer Modern room upstairs - 23/8/81

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Upstair...arno-t8446.html

Social source share

Gouch that was harsh from that chap considering the records you played , look at the playlists for Sam , Art and Mario at the Locrano shocking !! :lol:

Brum Locarno All Dayer Modern room upstairs - 23/8/81

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Upstair...arno-t8446.html

Just had a looksee, that list aint that bad when you consider whats being offered up these days as soul music.

I was jocking downstairs in the the Northern room.

Gouch

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Does it count what won't get played now.

i am sure a lot of people are going to question my taste for Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 records yet i have many which would work well for Northern soul but i can imagine what some will say

Social source share

Does it count what won't get played now.

i am sure a lot of people are going to question my taste for Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 records yet i have many which would work well for Northern soul but i can imagine what some will say

the jackson 5 are awesome

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert