What Does It Take - To Win Your Love For Me

Peter99

I know it doesn't take much - but I'm confused. :)

I absolutely love the record "What does it take - to win your love for me"

Just been knocking around refosoul - and like lots of other stuff there are numerous versions/covers. I seem to recall I got to like this because of the great sax. I've just played the different versions and some don't have any sax at all - Hearts of Stone etc. What confuses me is that I prefer the vocals on this version - and obviously, wrongly, thought this is the version that I got to like when it was played out. But it can't be because of the lack of sax.

Is this making sense? So - over to you lot.

Which was the was the first release?

Which was played out first - and when and by whom?

Was a particuar take more popular than the others - with the dancers I mean.

Which is the rarer?

Do you like the tune and which is your favourite.

Sorry - my memory gets all mixed up and hazy - appreciate some views on this as it's been bugging me.

Thanks.

Ironside

:lol:

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know it doesn't take much - but I'm confused. :)

I absolutely love the record "What does it take - to win your love for me"

Just been knocking around refosoul - and like lots of other stuff there are numerous versions/covers. I seem to recall I got to like this because of the great sax. I've just played the different versions and some don't have any sax at all - Hearts of Stone etc. What confuses me is that I prefer the vocals on this version - and obviously, wrongly, thought this is the version that I got to like when it was played out. But it can't be because of the lack of sax.

Is this making sense? So - over to you lot.

Which was the was the first release?

Which was played out first - and when and by whom?

Was a particuar take more popular than the others - with the dancers I mean.

Which is the rarer?

Do you like the tune and which is your favourite.

Sorry - my memory gets all mixed up and hazy - appreciate some views on this as it's been bugging me.

Thanks.

Ironside

Hello mate,

agree it's a great track, I know of versions by:

Junior Walker - The original & probably first played

Younghearts - No sax

Motherlode - Don't like it

Bay Brothers - The best version & most sax (IMHO)

Electrifying Cashmeres - Soulful vocals, my second choice

Buddy Miles - Not bad

Kenny G - My third choice

I don't know the Hearts of Stone version you mention though, I'll give it a listen. Most popular with me is Bay Brothers. Rarest? Toss up between Electrifying Cashmeres and Bay Brothers I think.

Hope this gets you started, I'm sure others will add more and more versions and opinions - beware of obsession setting in!!!

Best,

John.

PS late edit: quick search show versions by Superband on Manships (awful) and possibly one by Santana too. This will run & run!!

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

Hi Peter,

Loads of versions of this great song, written by Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua and Vernon Bullock.

Jr Walker had the Soul / Motown smash with it!

It was a Pop Soul hit when new.

Rarest version is most probably the Bay Brothers (White Pop Act) on US Millenium which gained favour in Modern / Crossover circles around 15 years ago... and I think played first (as I recall) by Rick Scott.

I was almost certainly first to play the California Raisins version (because, if people ever needed a different version to Junior Walker, it was certainly better than the Bay Bros) around the same time (early Yarmouth). I played it as Buddy Miles (which, of course, it really is) and I recall it did cause a stir at the time.

Also there are versions by Younghearts, Hearts of Stone, Motherlode, Electrifying Casmeres and and and!

Jr Walker was never really a 'Northern' tune back in the day - always a straight 'club' sound that gained favour at Pitches early 90's, along with a host of other great Popular / Soul tunes... that now seem to be 'Northern' staple classics.

Sean

Social source share

Ya cant beat Jnr Walkers version imho but I've not heard Heart of stones take yet

regards

Ian

Oops :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hello mate,

Younghearts - No sax

Buddy Miles - Not bad

I don't know the Hearts of Stone version you mention though, I'll give it a listen. Most popular with me is Bay Brothers. Rarest? Toss up between Electrifying Cashmeres and Bay Brothers I think.

Hope this gets you started, I'm sure others will add more and more versions and opinions - beware of obsession setting in!!!

Best,

John.

Agree John :lol: for me though Jnr walker or for more of a northern sound " Electrifying Cashmeres :)

Social source share

Hello mate,

Younghearts - No sax

Buddy Miles - Not bad

Best,

John.

PS late edit: quick search show versions by Superband on Manships (awful) and possibly one by Santana too. This will run & run!!

Thanks Jonh

That's really useful.

Peter

Social source share

Hi Peter,

Loads of versions of this great song, written by Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua and Vernon Bullock.

Rarest version is most probably the Bay Brothers (White Pop Act) on US Millenium which gained favour in Modern / Crossover circles around 15 years ago... and I think played first (as I recall) by Rick Scott.

I was almost certainly first to play the California Raisins version (because, if people ever needed a different version to Junior Walker, it was certainly better than the Bay Bros) around the same time (early Yarmouth). I played it as Buddy Miles (which, of course, it really is) and I recall it did cause a stir at the time.

Also there are versions by Younghearts, Hearts of Stone, Motherlode, Electrifying Casmeres and and and!

Jr Walker was never really a 'Northern' tune back in the day - always a straight 'club' sound that gained favour at Pitches early 90's, along with a host of other great Popular / Soul tunes... that now seem to be 'Northern' staple classics.

Sean

Hi Sean

Loads of interesting stuff there mate - thanks.

I'm assuming that I must know the Jr Walker release - but is doesn't spring to mind. I need to check out the JR's (Buddy Miles) version - that may be the one that originally got me hooked!

Just to confuse things.

Thanks again - top man.

Peter

:)

Social source share

Here you go mate...

Three versions all on YouTube.

Junior Walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0xzcavGrj4...feature=related

Bay Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IhKJk9CV8

California Raisins - Buddy Miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6PvR2fABl8

Even though I first broke the California Raisins Version, Junior is still the don for me!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

And here's the original writers 'Levinesque' version!

Sean

Hmmmm, same old same old. Quite a long intro there, Johhny appeared to be trying to come in early several times. Found the Santana one too. No sax at all, plenty electric guitar though. :thumbsup:

Santana

Still Bay Bros for me!

John.

Social source share

Hi Peter,

Sean

Jr Walker version is the one for me. It actually hit No.13 in the UK Pop chart in 1969 and is one of my favourite Motown songs ever. This would have been too 'pop' to have been played @ the Wheel presumably?

Also an interesting indie 80's version from '81 out of New York - Tony Rome & The D.W.A.L. Orchestra featuring Donald Armstrong on Kency...............

Ian D :)

Social source share

Here you go mate...

Three versions all on YouTube.

Junior Walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0xzcavGrj4...feature=related

Bay Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IhKJk9CV8

California Raisins - Buddy Miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6PvR2fABl8

Even though I first broke the California Raisins Version, Junior is still the don for me!

Sean

Ah, thanks Sean!

My memory must be shot to pieces - Jr is obviously the version that got me hooked - and is the best of the bunch. So my question has been answered to a great degree.

Some quite interesting comments - Ian's comment about it perhaps being too poppy to have been played at the Wheel is a good example. I guess it shows how much things have changed. The Wheel was a bit before my time so I can't comment on those days. From where I'm sitting though - and obviously from the first time I heard it - this is a wicked piece of soul music - absolutely stunning.

Some of the covers are top notch too. It's hard to fathom out why I couldn't pin point - or remember the Jr Walker?

I've obviously shot it!

Thanks everyone.

Peter

Social source share

What!!!!! No mention of the Fith Dimension's Fabulous version of it. David Sanborn on sax and out about 71-72?.

Funny thing I'm only aware of this as an album track. But vthe amount of times I've heard it ..It must be a single

John

tis on 45 John. got this on a Mexican Capitol release from 1971... didnt kno it was David Sanborn on sax!! great vocal from the brilliant Billy Davis.

Jnr's still the best version for me. There's also a very decent take by Garland Jefferies on Epic

steve

Social source share

Seriously can't believe no one's mentioned the best dance version of the song (in a Modern Soul, crossing over to The Northern scene kinda stylee!) by none other than Dee Dee Warwick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waaayyyy better than Bay Bros (same tempo BUT 'proper' vocals!)

It's a monster I tell ya, a monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadian LP only from 1980.................get searching :D

Cheers

Steve

ps Junior W still THE best version BUT the best dance version is by Dee Dee imho!

Social source share

Seriously can't believe no one's mentioned the best dance version of the song (in a Modern Soul, crossing over to The Northern scene kinda stylee!) by none other than Dee Dee Warwick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waaayyyy better than Bay Bros (same tempo BUT 'proper' vocals!)

It's a monster I tell ya, a monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadian LP only from 1980.................get searching :D

Cheers

Steve

ps Junior W still THE best version BUT the best dance version is by Dee Dee imho!

Any chance of a sound clip Steve?

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert