Larry Santos - You Got Me Where You Want Me - Evolution 1007

Can anyone point me in the right direction:

Original

2nd issue

Boot

Photos, run out marks, matrix numbers, etc

Many thanks

Doc

70's boot, original should look like this.....

post-1832-1217683405_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 4 years later...

70's boot, original should look like this.....

Hi , just want to check if anyone knows here pls. This song on the orig rainbow coloured Evolution which is the most common issue or promo pls ? Are they both of the same valud approx ?

cheers Olof

Social source share

Hi , just want to check if anyone knows here pls. This song on the orig rainbow coloured Evolution which is the most common issue or promo pls ? Are they both of the same valud approx ?

cheers Olof

==================================================================================================

Hi Olof

Glad you asked. Just checked my JM 6th Edition. Allegedly the Promo books at £250, the Issue at £200.

Just realised that I have the Promo...so smug looks all around!!!LOL!!!

post-26636-0-19950400-1358535541_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

cheers Olof

==================================================================================================

Hi Olof

Glad you asked. Just checked my JM 6th Edition. Allegedly the Promo books at £250, the Issue at £200.

Just realised that I have the Promo...so smug looks all around!!!LOL!!!

post-26636-0-19950400-1358535541_thumb.j

Should be £100 to £150.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....The LARRY SANTOS is far rarer today compared to when it 1st got played, it's been many years ago that I owned a copy (still have my bootleg! copy) there is one reason for this, and is quite simple,

the record was release in the UK on PHILIPS LABEL, always a good way to identify US RECORDS is by finding a UK Cover by some obscure artist, that the record company saw potential in,

Our man this time was such a man who checked in and then checked out, with 2 recordings on UK PHILIPS,

His cover version of LARRY SANTOS CLASSIC is rather good, and has become one of the very hard UK items that many collectors want, and pay lots of money for, how rare is rare, well PETE SMITH can answer that one, but it is much harder to get than the rare issue on PHILIPS, Not sure how many copies exist in Wolverhampton but can't be more than 2, that includes my copy, which is the best version of the 2? it has to be based on how popular LARRY SANTOS was must be his version, :ohmy: THE STRANGE WORLD OF NS?

MY COPY :thumbsup: DAVE K

post-13241-0-66805600-1358559266_thumb.j

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....The LARRY SANTOS is far rarer today compared to when it 1st got played, it's been many years ago that I owned a copy (still have my bootleg! copy) there is one reason for this, and is quite simple,

the record was release in the UK on PHILIPS LABEL, always a good way to identify US RECORDS is by finding a UK Cover by some obscure artist, that the record company saw potential in,

Our man this time was such a man who checked in and then checked out, with 2 recordings on UK PHILIPS,

His cover version of LARRY SANTOS CLASSIC is rather good, and has become one of the very hard UK items that many collectors want, and pay lots of money for, how rare is rare, well PETE SMITH can answer that one, but it is much harder to get than the rare issue on PHILIPS, Not sure how many copies exist in Wolverhampton but can't be more than 2, that includes my copy, which is the best version of the 2? it has to be based on how popular LARRY SANTOS was must be his version, :ohmy: THE STRANGE WORLD OF NS?

Can your version replace my memories?

Dancefloor reality beats unplayed rarity anytime.

...and honestly, that is just an observation, not a critique.

Social source share

'Rare'.......wish that could be defined...seems to be something people say....no true scientific evidence....based on impression rather than fact....... very confusing. :huh:

Would anybody like to take a shot at giving a definition of 'Northern Soul rarity'..........i.e. clarify the definition as far as is possible, the reality beyond just saying 'Larry Santos is rare / not rare'.

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

in my experience its harder now than it was but say 20 years ago if you`d got 30 quid to spend you would a picked a demo up within a few weeks.........there`s hundreds of copies in the uk so its not rare..........but its sort of unavailable in 2013.. its a record i never had but only because i had a uk philips john ford ........larry santos £150 imo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

===

i got both and enjoy both versions,,,,mines an uk issue...didnt cost the earth either..

Social source share

Dave - I have all SIX records by Jon on UK Philips - Only the song in question has any interest to the Northern Scene.

I had what was assumed at the time to be the only copy of the demo - It came from Nev Wherry's collection after his death. I had it knicked about six months later and it ended up in Tony Claytons box.

eBay has brought to light a few copies over the years - One copy was smashed in the post on it's way to me ... and was immediately replaced witt the sellers own copy (Thanks to Mick Smith for that) - I have found 2 further demo copies since then.

It's still a rare demo. Many more copies of Darrell Banks / Timi Yuro etc. but nowwhere near the value.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

The Larry Santos and Jon Ford versions are probably about as hard to find as each other but the Jon Ford demo is extremely rare. What people don't realise is that the demo is a different mix to the issue, you need them both to compare but the version on the issue is more powerful than the demo. I've had two demos and maybe four issues, probably the same with Larry Santos.

Dave I might have told you this already but I've actually spoken to 'Jon Ford', he was also known as 'Eli Bonaparte', had a minor hit on Decca. He lives in Penn. I asked him if he had any records and he said that the only copies around where some that the Nita Anderson booking agency had to hand out back in 1970.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,, Couple of bits , but thanks Mick tale of his cracked record "it happens", MICK SMITH Copy from his collection, took him ages to find, and if memory serves me it was his last major want, he did not have a demo until the mid 8ts in fact I got is issue, this will tell you how rare it is,at one time Mick had the lot, on UK I remember when he started to complete the PYE LABEL, if it was on a PYE he had to have it, where did he get his DEMOS from in 74? you never saw them, but he had them, BILLY HARNER INST purchased from a deaf dumb & blind boy who sold records of his trolley in the East End? it makes me laugh, Strange him giving that copy up,i lent him my JON ANDREWS ISSUE, 6 MONTHS LATE HE GAVE ME A MINT DEMO , ANYWAY HE IS A GOOD MENTOR TO HAVE ALSO A MATE,

Talking of mates who no their records Pete's comments are always relevant his dedication and knowledge on UK SOUL WAS PU OUT AS A MAGAZINE, BEATIN RYTHEM, which is worth picking all copies, i think he did 13,14 issues,.

If Mick H still has a DEMO& ROY G HAS ONE that 3 in WOLVES :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

I think it's fair to say that they're (the Larry Santos 45s) sitting in hundreds of collections across the country, like so many of these 'bonafide' classics. If those copies began to circulate again, the price tag would have to come down, surely?

Someone recently told me Willie & The Mighty Magnificents 'Funky Eight Corners' had doubled its value in the last year or two because it had been 'activated' by Soul Sam and was now more sought after than it had been previously.

So what cost 30-40 before is now costing 60-80, if one wants to pay that, of course. Supply + demand = capitalism etc...

Social source share

Dave - I have all SIX records by Jon on UK Philips - Only the song in question has any interest to the Northern Scene.

I had what was assumed at the time to be the only copy of the demo - It came from Nev Wherry's collection after his death. I had it knicked about six months later and it ended up in Tony Claytons box.

eBay has brought to light a few copies over the years - One copy was smashed in the post on it's way to me ... and was immediately replaced witt the sellers own copy (Thanks to Mick Smith for that) - I have found 2 further demo copies since then.

It's still a rare demo. Many more copies of Darrell Banks / Timi Yuro etc. but nowwhere near the value.

Cheers

Mick

S'truth. And Clayton wasn't aware of its dodgy provenance when he acquired the record then, Mick?

That copy should surely have been rightfully returned to you. Things you hear.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

S'truth. And Clayton wasn't aware of its dodgy provenance when he acquired the record then, Mick?

That copy should surely have been rightfully returned to you. Things you hear.

He (Clayton) was aware as soon as I told him, but probably not before he aquired it.

There was a third party involved. I lent out the record and that person (a good friend) who in turn went and "Sold It" to T Clayton. For five or six months I hounded my friend for it's return, and was fobbed off each time with this story or that excuse.

Quite by accident I bumped into Clayton at Nottingham Oddfellows in Leicester, ended up talking about it and he said "I bought that off ... five months ago."

With the cat out the bag my friend had nowhere to turn, confessed, and gave me £40 back (more than I had paid - I gave £15 plus an issue, worth about £15 at the time).

OK, I would rather have had the record than the £30 I gave, or even the £40 I recieved back, but at least it was resolved and I wasn't out of pocket in the end.

Cheers

mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,, Couple of bits , but thanks Mick tale of his cracked record "it happens", MICK SMITH Copy from his collection, took him ages to find, and if memory serves me it was his last major want, he did not have a demo until the mid 8ts in fact I got is issue, this will tell you how rare it is,at one time Mick had the lot, on UK I remember when he started to complete the PYE LABEL, if it was on a PYE he had to have it, where did he get his DEMOS from in 74? you never saw them, but he had them, BILLY HARNER INST purchased from a deaf dumb & blind boy who sold records of his trolley in the East End? it makes me laugh, Strange him giving that copy up,i lent him my JON ANDREWS ISSUE, 6 MONTHS LATE HE GAVE ME A MINT DEMO , ANYWAY HE IS A GOOD MENTOR TO HAVE ALSO A MATE,

Talking of mates who no their records Pete's comments are always relevant his dedication and knowledge on UK SOUL WAS PU OUT AS A MAGAZINE, BEATIN RYTHEM, which is worth picking all copies, i think he did 13,14 issues,.

If Mick H still has a DEMO& ROY G HAS ONE that 3 in WOLVES :ohmy: DAVE K

I bought one off Swoz 3 years ago maybe 4 but can't remember who I sold it to.

Social source share

Bought a Mint original of one of these out of a record store in Cincinnati about 4 years ago for $7.99. It was sat in a box of new arrivals on the counter, and the store owner had even written "rare northern soul!!!" under the price, I sold the disc, but kept the sleeve for posterity!!

Des

Social source share

Bought a Mint original of one of these out of a record store in Cincinnati about 4 years ago for $7.99. It was sat in a box of new arrivals on the counter, and the store owner had even written "rare northern soul!!!" under the price, I sold the disc, but kept the sleeve for posterity!!

Des

=====================================================================================================================

Would posterity sell the sleeve...I'd like it for my copy! :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI ALL ... GOING OF THREAD ABIT, When I here the epilogue of NEVS story, the Vicar and all that, I was in HM HOTEL STAFFORD, when I was informed of his passing by a guest from the EAST MIDLANDS (BOWLER? I THINK) we were both angry about what was inevitable,

NEV was 100% genuine but people took advantage of him in Life & Death RIP NEV always in my thoughts, DAVE KILLWORTH

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!