Master Of Ceremonies

Simsy

We may have done this before a while back, but anyway.... Here we go again but with a twist. I was watching a dvd of Luton (TOTS) recently with Sean Chapman in action on the mic and he'd certainly get my vote for MC numero uno!

Then I got to thinking (imo) us southern jocks don't quite cut it on the mic in the same way as the northerners. Why? Could it be that 'Northern' music just sounds better being announced by a Northern voice?

This is a genderless subject though (and I can't quite put my finger on why) southern female mc'ing is less unsettling to me than male...

Nb: Midlands counts as northern for the sake of this - comes down to whether you say "paast" - or "parst" - you know what I mean.

So any views? Any fave jocks that have a way with words? Memorable instances?

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

:lol: For me it just comes down to the individual DJ, not their accent.

Personally I detest DJ's when they give it "Cmmonn Stoke!!!" (or wherever). Do they think we've forgotten where we are - or are we being berated for not trying hard enough! :thumbup:

I think Sean may have said that at Stoke last week! :lol:

I'm thinking maybe the southern jocks are a little less vocal anyway? Perhaps with the exception of Mr Trouble who usually has an enthusiastic delivery.

Social source share

I think Sean may have said that at Stoke last week! :lol:

I'm thinking maybe the southern jocks are a little less vocal anyway? Perhaps with the exception of Mr Trouble who usually has an enthusiastic delivery.

But Rubble suffers from some form of Tourette syndrome :lol::thumbup:

Most of the better rare soul jocks have some sort of pitter patter , however I think its best to zipp it a little whilst jocking abroad :lol:

Social source share

We may have done this before a while back, but anyway.... Here we go again but with a twist. I was watching a dvd of Luton (TOTS) recently with Sean Chapman in action on the mic and he'd certainly get my vote for MC numero uno! Then I got to thinking (imo) us southern jocks don't quite cut it on the mic in the same way as the northerners. Why? Could it be that 'Northern' music just sounds better being announced by a Northern voice? This is a genderless subject though (and I can't quite put my finger on why) southern female mc'ing is less unsettling to me than male... Nb: Midlands counts as northern for the sake of this - comes down to whether you say "paast" - or "parst" - you know what I mean. So any views? Any fave jocks that have a way with words? Memorable instances?

I remember DJing at These Old Shoes when we had technical problems with one of the decks and Jo Wallace spent the whole night giving a running commentary whilst Martin and me furiously swopped discs over on the other deck. The stand out point was when I just pulled out Little Charles & The Sidewinders - Talking Bout You Babe which I'd just got and was pretty proud of and Jo's comment was "Don't know much about this, but the label's pink." Always stuck in my mind since. :thumbup::lol:

Social source share

:thumbup:

It just sounds authentic! :lol:

Besides Chappers , I have always found that Roberto Smith is creditable using t'microphone .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

We may have done this before a while back, but anyway.... Here we go again but with a twist. I was watching a dvd of Luton (TOTS) recently with Sean Chapman in action on the mic and he’d certainly get my vote for MC numero uno!

Then I got to thinking (imo) us southern jocks don’t quite cut it on the mic in the same way as the northerners. Why? Could it be that ‘Northern’ music just sounds better being announced by a Northern voice?

This is a genderless subject though (and I can’t quite put my finger on why) southern female mc’ing is less unsettling to me than male...

Nb: Midlands counts as northern for the sake of this - comes down to whether you say “paast” - or “parst” - you know what I mean.

I think it's that northerners are generally much less self conscious than southerners and are used to bellowing loudly, here, there and everywhere, at all and sundry, with or without a mic around. And most people of a certain age were bought up on northern mic action with "The Wheeltappers and Shunters Club" . :thumbup: It's the same with joke telling, some accents just sound funnier than others when delivering a joke. :lol:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

We may have done this before a while back, but anyway.... Here we go again but with a twist. I was watching a dvd of Luton (TOTS) recently with Sean Chapman in action on the mic and he'd certainly get my vote for MC numero uno!

:thumbup:Agreed Mr Sims, Sean's enthusiasm is infectious!

Then I got to thinking (imo) us southern jocks don't quite cut it on the mic in the same way as the northerners. Why? Could it be that 'Northern' music just sounds better being announced by a Northern voice?

Cuz Northern=more soulful than Southern,Ian, fact! :lol: (how brave am I? Shoot me quick! :lol: )

This is a genderless subject though (and I can't quite put my finger on why) southern female mc'ing is less unsettling to me than male...

Nb: Midlands counts as northern for the sake of this - comes down to whether you say "paast" - or "parst" - you know what I mean.

Well I understood the first word, "past" but as for t'other "parst" ?!?w.t.f does that mean? :lol:

Mr Trouble definitely has tourettes (not nice/necessary I reckon) ....I love hearing Mick H's Notts twang on the mike though I must admit :(

Social source share

I tend not to use the mike in my few stints behind the turntables. I guested for Heikki in Finland once and he insisted that deejays had to use the microphone. I approached it with trepidation at first, but after some refreshment warmed to the task: after a while I'm told it was impossible to shut me up.

The language barrier helped of course, but after a gallon of Finnish ale I think I actually introduced one tune with (adopts husky tones of Tony Green) "Mike: you require one-hundred-and-twenty-one..."

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I tend not to use the mike in my few stints behind the turntables. I guested for Heikki in Finland once and he insisted that deejays had to use the microphone. I approached it with trepidation at first, but after some refreshment warmed to the task: after a while I'm told it was impossible to shut me up.

The language barrier helped of course, but after a gallon of Finnish ale I think I actually introduced one tune with (adopts husky tones of Tony Green) "Mike: you require one-hundred-and-twenty-one..."

Treble 20 , 11 and finish on the Bully :wicked:

Social source share

:wicked:

Social source share

Treble 20 , 11 and finish on the Bully :unsure:

Can tell you're not a darts player Murray.

Treble 20, treble 11 then double 14.

Back on topic sort of.

Last week at our Modernism night Sean McPhail from the Wakefield City Soul Club guested for us & spun the wrong side of his 1st record at the wrong speed as well.

Swiftly announced "We are the Wakefield City Soul Club & this is what we f*****g do"

Top lad.

If you want to see an encore Simon the Wakey lads are on after you at the EMS party in 2 weeks :wicked:

Social source share

I would have bought tickets to watch that performance :thumbup:

Alittle use can bring all the club together sometimes, depends on delivery and what feeling you have for the music/crowd sometimes..

Like any other art form... Some are smooth as velvet and draw you into the show with the odd word here and there, i like to see passion too in parts..

Others are just out of work bingo callers with a bag of gravel :)

It can look and sound so nice and really add to the performance or it can be Russ Abbot meets Bernard Manning..

King of the mic.... Richard Searling maybe... His radio work would help with this i guess...

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I once DJ'd an entire weekender in Spain (with Ady Croasdells' prompting I may add) in fast show mode "reth-te-te-te-te-te-te-ton-Ray Agee-ton-Chrissie Waddle" etc......

You had to be there

I wish i had been! :D :D

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I've just started a new online scooterist orientated radio show with my better half (I'll not plug it but if anyone wants to know, PM me) after years of DJing almost mic-less so its coming as a whole new experience to me.

I've found that its a lot harder than it seems, so my hat is off to anyone that can do this live.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert