• Replies 58
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

https://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...=CLARKS++OBERON+

as close as you will ever get now to the beloved footwear... :thumbsup: and i think when they are gone they are gone....

i am a size 8.5 to 9... but 8 is perfect for me...

pete n' susan xx

I,ll stick with the original 1st ishoe's,still got some good ones somewhere like sandles on top but propper polyeldts bit tight now had em' years.

Social source share

yep...or summat your dad wears :thumbsup: can't beat a decent pair of leather brogues :ohmy:

Yep replace em' with some your grandad would of worn,makes sence !!

Social source share

Leather soled loafers like Bass Wejuns are/were far nicer....polyveldts were shoes for teachers or old people...some kids at school had the beige coloured ones....not a good look. And how anybody thought they were good for dancing in??? Weren't the soles rubber?

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Leather soled loafers like Bass Wejuns are/were far nicer....polyveldts were shoes for teachers or old people...some kids at school had the beige coloured ones....not a good look. And how anybody thought they were good for dancing in??? Weren't the soles rubber?

:thumbsup: my old deputy head master used to wear them, the sadistic old b**tard, all the kids used to call them cornish pasty shoes

Social source share

Not ever being a dedicated follower of fashions - It was shoes/kex/haircut or 45s back in the day for me hence I was often mistaken for a tramp who'd wandered in at many venues back in the day. (Some would cruelly say "no change there then!"). :ohmy: But did people really wear crap looking stuff like these back then? I must have missed loads back in the Wigan days, I don't remember Mrs Woods, The pies, the muggings in the bogs, the scooters (?) or any of that old gubbins from Wigan. I remember the record bar though.....maybe I was preoccupied! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I'd have more chance of dancing with a piece of wood strapped to each foot than those shoes.

Remind me of a teacher, or someone who's pottering off down the greenhouse to check their tomatoes :ohmy: A pair of khaki green jumbo cord trousers from BHS and a Barbour Tattershall (check) shirt and your outfit is complete. :thumbsup:

Just my opinion, but they're bl@@dy awful!

Social source share

oh well... you can please some of the people some of the time ..etc etc .... LOL. :unsure:

yes they are strange looking shoes.... i like that :P ..... susans strange too.... but hey :D

pete n' susan ktf xx :lol:

Edited by casper
Social source share

MORE TO THE POINT, WHY WOULD YOU WANT THEM IN 1978 shhh.gif

IN 1978 DID YER' MAM MAKE YOU WEAR THEM STEVE :P

CAUSE' YOU WOULD NEVER WEAR THEM OFF YER' OWN BACK SURELY :huh:

Bully!

I was only 17 at the time, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol:

They were good for dancing in though

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Reg - what class you have, Bass Wejuns still got a few pairs in the old cupboard. Use to have regular trips to America Gentleman in London (only UK stockist then) during the early and mid eighties. £75.00 a pair with or without tazzles way back then. Pure soulboy class.

(seen wearing my black pair in Q magazine Feb 1997, the article about northern soul colour photo spread entitled Do Yourself A Mischief. Q magazine and Maconie state soul dancers in the late 70's, when actually, photo taken in the early 80's Top Of The World - Stafford. Im the one looking like a robot.) :P

Can you still buy Bass Wejuns Reggie lad!!!

Cheers.

Cheers.

Social source share

Reg - what class you have, Bass Wejuns still got a few pairs in the old cupboard. Use to have regular trips to America Gentleman in London (only UK stockist then) during the early and mid eighties. £75.00 a pair with or without tazzles way back then. Pure soulboy class.

(seen wearing my black pair in Q magazine Feb 1997, the article about northern soul colour photo spread entitled Do Yourself A Mischief. Q magazine and Maconie state soul dancers in the late 70's, when actually, photo taken in the early 80's Top Of The World - Stafford. Im the one looking like a robot.) :lol:

Can you still buy Bass Wejuns Reggie lad!!!

Cheers.

Cheers.

Nick, got a blinding pair of Bass Weejuns with tassles off ebay for £45 brand new only 6 months ago, Dogs Bolx, Mutts Nuts etc!

Best

Bully :lol:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

In hindsight Poly's looked poor in 78 (although I had two pairs :lol: ) but now they look a tad daft IMO.

Everyone at our school (Eastwood Comp) had them, not just us who was into soul.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

In hindsight Poly's looked poor in 78 (although I had two pairs :lol: ) but now they look a tad daft IMO.

Was going to say similar in my post about folks wearing them for school, didn't have a choice of shoes to go out in, school ones or barefoot :D

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

LOL...couldn't agree more.....not very pleasing to the eye either

KTF

Baz

I'd have more chance of dancing with a piece of wood strapped to each foot than those shoes.

Remind me of a teacher, or someone who's pottering off down the greenhouse to check their tomatoes :D A pair of khaki green jumbo cord trousers from BHS and a Barbour Tattershall (check) shirt and your outfit is complete. :lol:

Just my opinion, but they're bl@@dy awful!

Social source share

Pete Clarks has started selling all their old classics again must be a demand for them again

Mand :lol:

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE MAND .... GOD DAMN THE PIMMS ON A HOT DAY AND NITE... :lol::D:D

I ACTUALLY WROTE TO THE BUGGERS AT CLARKES ASKING THEM ABOUT RE LAUNCHING POLYS..... LOL....THEY NEVER REPLIED BUT REISSUED EM...HOW GOOD WAS THAT? ....LOL

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Just looked up bass weejuns on google...oh my god they are hidious...what is it with Northern Soul and those tassled shoes?!?!?! They were around in the 80s and thought they died there...cant believe you like them...they are like fookin grandad shoes...give me a nice pair of brogues every day of the week and leave the tassles to Spandeau Ballet! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE MAND .... GOD DAMN THE PIMMS ON A HOT DAY AND NITE... :lol::D:D

I ACTUALLY WROTE TO THE BUGGERS AT CLARKES ASKING THEM ABOUT RE LAUNCHING POLYS..... LOL....THEY NEVER REPLIED BUT REISSUED EM...HOW GOOD WAS THAT? ....LOL

Clarks re-i-shoes :lol:

Social source share

Just looked up bass weejuns on google...oh my god they are hidious...what is it with Northern Soul and those tassled shoes?!?!?! They were around in the 80s and thought they died there...cant believe you like them...they are like fookin grandad shoes...give me a nice pair of brogues every day of the week and leave the tassles to Spandeau Ballet! :lol:

I wore them as i came out of skinhead to suedehead in the very early 70t's ...loafer style shoes are ok for loafing.....BUT ! if you are a dancer yer don't want shoes falling around on yer feet now do you ?.. im' not talking shufflin around on a bit of talc and strokin my chin here... im talkin "kingsway hall" stuff.... ray.jpg know where i'm coming from? :P you would be fetchin yer shoes from the otherside of the room with loafers.. :D get steppin!

pete n' susan xx

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Just looked up bass weejuns on google...oh my god they are hidious...what is it with Northern Soul and those tassled shoes?!?!?! They were around in the 80s and thought they died there...cant believe you like them...they are like fookin grandad shoes...give me a nice pair of brogues every day of the week and leave the tassles to Spandeau Ballet! :P

Oh dear Beeks, loafers were the and still are the trade mark of the soul clans. Bass Weejuns and loafers were around in the 60's.

You started in a pair of Frank Wright Loafers, round our way, (purchased from Gala Shoes on Colne Road in Burnley), christ who remembers that shopback in early 1970's. Well, Frank Wright Loafers were for the foot soldiers. Once you had earned your soul stripes and years of service, you progressed onto the higher more respectable Bass Weejun, that included girls also.

Beeks, even Richie Cunningham and Ralph Malph graced our TV screen in these shoes in the Fonz, with a high class button down shirt, well cut staypress trousers and a Harrington jacket to die for.

Classy oh so classy, you see that was the soul branding back then and is still approved on todays seen, even Bully has earned his stripes and respects his footware :lol: . :D

Cheers,

Swiftnick.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Nick, got a blinding pair of Bass Weejuns with tassles off ebay for £45 brand new only 6 months ago, Dogs Bolx, Mutts Nuts etc!

Best

Bully :lol:

Great and well done Bullyboy after years of dedication and service - I'm sure they will be looked after and worn with pride. :D

Will they be gracing your feet Bully and "polished for performance" at the Canal Tavern next weekend. :P .

Cheers and best regards

Nickswift.

Social source share

Bloody Eastwood softies :P

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

LOL...couldn't agree more.....not very pleasing to the eye either

KTF

Baz

I find these are actually quite comfortable, they're just not very practical for gymnastic style 'dancing'. Must avoid revolving doors, escalators and going out during daylight hours :lol: Just don't try running for a bus in these though :P

post-6141-1217491894_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

I find these are actually quite comfortable, they're just not very practical for gymnastic style 'dancing'. Must avoid revolving doors, escalators and going out during daylight hours :P Just don't try running for a bus in these though :D

And like the Polyveldts great for dancing back in 78 when Richard played The Happycats - "These ..... Were Make For Stomping". :lol:

Social source share

Much better without the tassles,beef roll jobs.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Oh dear Beeks, loafers were the and still are the trade mark of the soul clans. Bass Weejuns and loafers were around in the 60's.

Still doesnt make them right...there's no accounting for taste...all I remember about these tassled shoes is pissed up old Irish alchys round my way with their speckled polyester trousers and grey tassled shoes...perhaps they were cool in the 60s...but trust me...by the time the 80s kicked in they were worn by science teachers and people who couldnt afford anything else...I love soul music...always will...but you wouldn't get me in a pair of those in my grave let alone still breathing...im all for adopting the soul look...but thats a bridge too far for me :lol:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Still doesnt make them right...there's no accounting for taste...all I remember about these tassled shoes is pissed up old Irish alchys round my way with their speckled polyester trousers and grey tassled shoes...perhaps they were cool in the 60s...but trust me...by the time the 80s kicked in they were worn by science teachers and people who couldnt afford anything else...I love soul music...always will...but you wouldn't get me in a pair of those in my grave let alone still breathing...im all for adopting the soul look...but thats a bridge too far for me :P

Good morning Beeks,

Its not such a crime if you dont like them, like you say it a matter of one's taste. I never wore then when I was dancing to Graeme Parks, Tom Wainwright, Sasha, Alistar Whitehead, Tony Humphries, Martin Lever, Andy Ward, Bobby and Stevie, Masters At Work , Frankie knuckles etc, etc. :lol: .

Best,

Nick.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

but trust me...by the time the 80s kicked in they were worn by science teachers and people who couldnt afford anything else...

Oh dunno about that Beeks, Bass Wejuns Penny Loafers (the ones without the tassles) in the early 80s were de rigur for many trendy terrace lads (along with erm.. Lyle and Scott Jumpers :huh: ).

Nick

"I never wore then when I was dancing to Graeme Parks, Tom Wainwright, Sasha, Alistar Whitehead, Tony Humphries, Martin Lever, Andy Ward, Bobby and Stevie, Masters At Work , Frankie knuckles etc, etc. :D "

Looks like we may have visited the same clubs (I remember when A Whitehead used to work in a clothes shop in Nottm)- but that for another thread another time.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Oh dunno about that Beeks, Bass Wejuns Penny Loafers (the ones without the tassles) in the early 80s were de rigur for many trendy terrace lads (along with erm.. Lyle and Scott Jumpers :lol: ).

Nick

"I never wore then when I was dancing to Graeme Parks, Tom Wainwright, Sasha, Alistar Whitehead, Tony Humphries, Martin Lever, Andy Ward, Bobby and Stevie, Masters At Work , Frankie knuckles etc, etc. :thumbup: "

Looks like we may have visited the same clubs (I remember when A Whitehead used to work in a clothes shop in Nottm)- but that for another thread another time.

Byrney-

Young Alistar working in the shop - Feck me he did - brill, fashion and terrace lads. You get my full respect for the term "penny loafers" - had a american dime in my cross leather upper.....I think that is what a proper/professional shoe maker may call it. Do you remember the flat in Nottingham and Felix the house cat. I could go on but.....best left for this forum.

Great call Byrney and what of Jules. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

haha when we were on the terraces it was Adidas Gazelle(I Had a Pink Pair!!), Farah Trousers and those big Kappa Puffer Jackets before the scallies got hold of the brand and ruined it...oh yeah...and Deerstalker hats :lol:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Oh dunno about that Beeks, Bass Wejuns Penny Loafers (the ones without the tassles) in the early 80s were de rigur for many trendy terrace lads (along with erm.. Lyle and Scott Jumpers :lol: ).

Nick

"I never wore then when I was dancing to Graeme Parks, Tom Wainwright, Sasha, Alistar Whitehead, Tony Humphries, Martin Lever, Andy Ward, Bobby and Stevie, Masters At Work , Frankie knuckles etc, etc. :thumbup: "

Graeme Park - Crap

Tom Wainwright - Crap

Sasha - Know him well...used to be best friends with his sister...he used to live with Laurent Garnier in Salford Keys haha - Still Crap :lol:

Alistar Whitehead - Not to bad actually...had a few good mix tapes of his

Tony Humphries - Legend

Next three never heard of

Masters At Work - The Greatest of course

Franki Knuckles - Hit and miss...some of his stuff was pure cheese...some...genius

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Byrney-

Great call Byrney and what of Jules. :lol:

Did you go to Delux, with Shelvo, Johnathan, Alex Lowes and "Charlie Chesters" and did you attend Venus.

Give us a PM - :lol: . We'll never be mastered by no Stoke City, Forest, County, Rams, Vale, Foxes and Brummy B.......S.

Up the Clarets - BFC. LOL. :thumbup: .

Nick.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Graeme Park - Crap

Tom Wainwright - Crap

Sasha - Know him well...used to be best friends with his sister...he used to live with Laurent Garnier in Salford Keys haha - Still Crap :lol:

Alistar Whitehead - Not to bad actually...had a few good mix tapes of his

Tony Humphries - Legend

Next three never heard of

Masters At Work - The Greatest of course

Franki Knuckles - Hit and miss...some of his stuff was pure cheese...some...genius

:thumbup:

These are jocks who played soulful vocal tunes -only an offering, but for someone who rated Quadrent Park, then what would I expect form your reply - But I am only trying to intergrate with you on a forum that is totally unsuitable for the above mentioned. :lol: .

Can we get back to footware.....!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Did you go to Delux, with Shelvo, Johnathan, Alex Lowes and "Charlie Chesters" and did you attend Venus.

Give us a PM - :lol: . We'll never be mastered by no Stoke City, Forest, County, Rams, Vale, Foxes and Brummy B.......S.

Up the Clarets - BFC. LOL. :thumbup: .

Nick.

Remind me where's Delux - sure I went.

Used to see Shelvo (along with Trill, Alan et al) at Venus and Renaissance. Started my Notts house shenanigans at Eden in Notts circa 87, trying to fit the odd night in between Nighters. Regular at Venus along wiith a few other nighter goers at the time.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Beeks

These are jocks who played soulful vocal tunes -only an offering, but for someone who rated Quadrent Park, then what would I expect form your reply - But I am only trying to intergrate with you on a forum that is totally unsuitable for the above mentioned. :lol: .

Can we get back to footware.....!!!!!!!

Im intergrating quite well without your help thanks...and the people I havn't integrated with in the main...are not worth bothering with...

Quadrant Park was a great club in its time...and in the late 80s I travelled the country and visited many clubs...the whole soul aspect of house had hardly developed in the UK while the Quad was going (Stricctly Rhythm and other more soul orientated labels were being spinned in the Hacienda but there wasn't much else around)...it was still very naive... so quite frankly you're talking crap... and please dont patronise me by mentioning DJs I am completely familiar with... including the music they play...Sasha?? Playing Soulful Vocal tracks?? Dont make me laugh :lol::thumbup:

PS. And for the record...Some of the biggest tracks played at Quadrant Park were soul/funk/crossover ORIGINALS...but then you had to have been there to know that...

Edited by Beeks
guidelines
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Graeme Park - Good during his days at the Garage

Tom Wainwright - not bad

Sasha -very, very overrated - but liked his style early days in Cov and Shelly's but not a big fan of the dreary progressive stuff :(

Alistair Whitehead - never gave discount on clothes = crap

Tony Humphries - good

Masters At Work - agreed

Franki Knuckles - Hit and miss...some of his stuff was pure cheese...some...genius. Agreed

More an underground resistance man myself - no seriously :lol::thumbup::lol::lol:

Might do a separate thread one day

:D

PS

Social source share

all I remember about these tassled shoes is pissed up old Irish alchys round my way with their speckled polyester trousers and grey tassled shoes...

Steady on young man , Ive never worn polyester trousers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert