Invictus Boot Legs?

Guest edsuede

Guest edsuede

Purely for curiousity's sake, can anyone shed some light on this? :thumbsup:

About 10 years back I inherited a couple of odd looking Invictus 45s from an ex-youth club DJ's collection.

They are both in the style of the UK issues;

"Give me just a little more time"

And "You've got me dangling on a string"

They differ from my normal UK issue copies in the following ways;

1. The labels are poorly printed replicas of the UK labels (even state 'made in Gt Britain') in a light grey tint instead of the normal blue

2. The labels are moulded on and do not have the milled (is that the correct term) edge around them like my proper copies

3. They have no details on the run offs except INV-501A (and cool.gif & INV-504A (and cool.gif.

The records are vinyl like the originals and not Styrene.

Anyone come across these before? Anyone provide more info?

Also, can someone suggest why someone would get boots made up of 2 easy to obtain, top selling records in their day? It's not even as if they've tried to make them look like the US issues? :sleep3:

Over to the experts.......

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest edsuede

Purely for curiousity's sake, can anyone shed some light on this? :thumbsup:

About 10 years back I inherited a couple of odd looking Invictus 45s from an ex-youth club DJ's collection.

They are both in the style of the UK issues;

"Give me just a little more time"

And "You've got me dangling on a string"

They differ from my normal UK issue copies in the following ways;

1. The labels are poorly printed replicas of the UK labels (even state 'made in Gt Britain') in a light grey tint instead of the normal blue

2. The labels are moulded on and do not have the milled (is that the correct term) edge around them like my proper copies

3. They have no details on the run offs except INV-501A (and cool.gif & INV-504A (and cool.gif .

The records are vinyl like the originals and not Styrene.

Anyone come across these before? Anyone provide more info?

Also, can someone suggest why someone would get boots made up of 2 easy to obtain, top selling records in their day? It's not even as if they've tried to make them look like the US issues? :sleep3:

Over to the experts.......

P.S Point 3 above should read ("and cool.gif & INV-504A (and cool.gif" - don't know how the smileys with sunglasses got there!

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

P.S Point 3 above should read ("and cool.gif & INV-504A (and cool.gif " - don't know how the smileys with sunglasses got there!

I'm surprised to tell you the truth. both records were comparatively speaking smash hits. especially "Give me just a little More time" I'll bet it did half a million, easy. General Johnson, a great singer, sadly mimicked by Kevin Rowland from Dexy's Midnight runners.

Here's a pi_ss poor video of the General in action singing very same song

"> Edited by geordiebri
Social source share

Guest edsuede

I'm surprised to tell you the truth. both records were comparatively speaking smash hits. especially "Give me just a little More time" I'll bet it did half a million, easy. General Johnson, a great singer, sadly mimicked by Kevin Rowland from Dexy's Midnight runners.

Here's a pi_ss poor video of the General in action singing very same song

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Yes, realise that both were big hits - that's why the idea of boot legging these records seems so weird to me.

Occurred to me as well, these are the only boots of UK copy records I've seen - all other boots I've come across have been replicas of US market copies.

Regards

Ed

Hmmm...Paul Parfitt....John Miles etc etc

Social source share

Hmmm...Paul Parfitt....John Miles etc etc

Yes that's right Steve, and now that you mention it, I'd really like to know what is the legitimate first issue (UK) of John Miles "One Minute Every Hour" ? Black coloured label called Orange ?

And what does the counterfeit look like ?

Anyone ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Yes that's right Steve, and now that you mention it, I'd really like to know what is the legitimate first issue (UK) of John Miles "One Minute Every Hour" ? Black coloured label called Orange ?

And what does the counterfeit look like ?

Anyone ?

original one minute was black with anti skate rim. the boot had the same label but looked like

an import.

dave

Social source share

Its called a "cerated edge"

He was actually right, it is called 'milling' although it's usually referred to as anti-slip milling

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert