Paulette .. Love You Baby

All I had to do was look..stupid boy!

I have BOTH Paulette & Jan Bradley in stock, Thanks Tony for pointing this out.

I'm about to play them..

Wait for it.. yep these can't be the same girls.. certainly different vocals & recordings.

I prefer the "Paulette" version! She's a little gritter than Jan.

R&B indies have Paulette as 1965. Jan Bradley Chess #1975 release is 1966. I think Paulette's 45 must be 1966 also, they would have picked up on Jan's recording which was a flipside.

Jan Bradley actually wrote a bunch of stuff for Prism (e.g. her name is on the pepi record too). To my ears the record sounds exactly like her. I always assumed that the chess recording was the same but it is different if I compare back to back. It is rare, but she also re-released the paulette and the cupids as "paulette" on her own label:

post-5120-1217425981_thumb.jpg

Anyways, I talked to her a couple of times but never specifically asked her about this (which is why I said 99% sure, as I never heard it from her mouth), I will try to call her today and post back.

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Jan Bradley actually wrote a bunch of stuff for Prism (e.g. her name is on the pepi record too). To my ears the record sounds exactly like her. I always assumed that the chess recording was the same but it is different if I compare back to back. It is rare, but she also re-released the paulette and the cupids as "paulette" on her own label:

Anyways, I talked to her a couple of times but never specifically asked her about this (which is why I said 99% sure, as I never heard it from her mouth), I will try to call her today and post back.

also, I actually don't know which release was first, prism or adanti

Social source share

'I've seen more Joe Jamma on ebay (where most of the copies for sale have been) but more Paulette elsewhere, lists, boxes etc.'

What sort of price has it been going for Chalky?

I saw a battered one on Shifty's list a few years back but that went within about three minutes.

there was one in butches box last Lifeline for £1500 or 1600 i think Joe Jamma i mean

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

I called Jan Bradley. She said that at the time Don Talty was her manager. Don had the Formal record label and was involved with releasing material on other labels. She was doing recording and songwriting but was not involved with the releasing and the business side of things. She said that Don released many of her records without her knowledge (e.g. even demos she did that were not intended to be released) and shopped her songs to other artists. She remembers writing "teenage dropout" but doesn't know anything about its release (e.g. whether it was even her or not). She hadn't heard of "paulette". I am going to mail her a recording of the record for her to listen. She did echo other people's sentiments that she didn't think that there would be one of her records released under a different name when she was already an established artist -- I even asked her if it could be because she was under contract to Chess at the time and she said that she wasn't and that wouldn't have been an issue. So it looks like this is probably not her (even though I still think it sounds like her). I will see what she says after she hears the recording. She also remembered that Pepi (another prism artist she wrote for) was from Ohio. So although it's probably not Jan Bradley, I still wouldn't assume it's the same person as on contact. Does the voice on the contact and adanti / prism record at least sound similar? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

there was one in butches box last Lifeline for £1500 or 1600 i think Joe Jamma i mean

is that £'s...or pence mate.......£16....seems way over the top :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Monster track IMO...but ill never be able to afford it...not for a few years anyway...has it ever been booted? Track like this im not arsed about a boot...just want it on vinyl :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

That's the best thing about records that have not been booted so you still have to get out to a club to hear and dance to them instead of wearing out the carpet in your bedroom.

Its not that you can or cant afford it but its a rare demand record so their will be Q to get one.

Know what you mean...one of the DJs played it in Prestwich Friday night...went up to ask about it...can't say I wasn't disappointed it was a rareity...but like you said...its good to hear it out...cant say it wouldn't be nice to have a copy for home listening though...have searched for an MP3 with no result either :ohmy:

Social source share

I don't think its on a general CD as well unless its on those Stafford ones Al A Carte thingis.

But to be on a floor and inspired by dancers around you is a thrill in its self and the drive that takes you to the next nighter is worth more than Gold, Err or something plastic that's covered in a gold colour. Don't think I would pass up on the odd spare bar of gold passed my way. :ohmy:

Its great to see Lenny D dance to this cause you know he loves the record as much as you do if not more.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Nice tune!

Shane Cox plays this occasionally - he might have played it at Wilton and I'm certain he played it at our last "Stolen Hours" in Ramsgate.

:thumbsup: And he played it last night at BoogalooSoul in Greenwich. Top man!!

Just a pity there weren't a few more sharing the floor with me 'cos it was certainly deserving.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

That was me asked him to put it on! :lol:

It needs pitching up I think.....

Beeks> I'll pm you a tidy mp3 of it if you like....

Thanks for that...made my day! :lol: ill download it when I get home :lol:

Social source share

Beat me to it Chalky. Played all over the shop long, long before Alfreton by Guy then Kitch and I think Dean too. Brown Sugar (both sides) Rock City Modern Night spins wasn't they?

How interesting that Sam spun this at the Palais in 78!

John Parker played it at York Soul Club last Sat https://www.soul-source.co.uk/York-So...ght-t78126.html - sounded great

BEARSOUL & FRIENDS PRESENT 'A TASTE OF HONEY' FRID 26TH SEPT 'THE KINGS ARMS' BLOOM STREET. SALFORD. M3 6AN

DJs : MARTIN GOGGIN ( Cork Leeside S.C) ANDY BELLWOOD (York), ADY POUNTAIN (Vinyl Viagara! You'll be up All-Night .. Dancing !! ) PAUL HAVEKIN ( GSC ) JORDI RIPOLLES (Groove Merchant) JOHNNY FINGERS (Demon Devil Of The Decks )More TBC CHECK WEBSITE FOR DETAILS www.bearsoul.moonfruit.com.

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I called Jan Bradley. She said that at the time Don Talty was her manager. Don had the Formal record label and was involved with releasing material on other labels. She was doing recording and songwriting but was not involved with the releasing and the business side of things. She said that Don released many of her records without her knowledge (e.g. even demos she did that were not intended to be released) and shopped her songs to other artists. She remembers writing "teenage dropout" but doesn't know anything about its release (e.g. whether it was even her or not). She hadn't heard of "paulette". I am going to mail her a recording of the record for her to listen. She did echo other people's sentiments that she didn't think that there would be one of her records released under a different name when she was already an established artist -- I even asked her if it could be because she was under contract to Chess at the time and she said that she wasn't and that wouldn't have been an issue. So it looks like this is probably not her (even though I still think it sounds like her). I will see what she says after she hears the recording. She also remembered that Pepi (another prism artist she wrote for) was from Ohio. So although it's probably not Jan Bradley, I still wouldn't assume it's the same person as on contact. Does the voice on the contact and adanti / prism record at least sound similar? Thanks.

I just came across this, although it's probably stale by now. Anyways, I did talk a few times with Andy Apperson, who was the owner of Prism records (he's long dead, as is Talty). He didn't remember much about the Paulette & Cupids 45 other than the Prism issue was actually a second pressing (the Adanti was first) and that they were from Chicago and Talty's doing. At some time, exactly when I never did get straight, Apperson met Talty. Together they were involved with 45s on the Sound Spectrum label, which was owned by someone else (typical of Talty's MO). Appseron mentioned Matt Johnson and Willie Mabon as having something to do with SS. SS used a variation of the prism beam logo that Apperson had designed for Prism. Not sure why, but Apperson decided to release the P&C 45 on his label. Pepi was from Dayton, real name Pam Voiles. She recorded two 45s on Prism. The first one, with the Bradley song, was recorded in Chicago. The second one was probably cut in Dayton. It's definitely a different session.

Not long after the Pepi and P&C 45s, Apperson sold his interest in Prism to Floyd Whited in Dayton sometime in early-mid 1965. (Whited had started Prism but merged the label name with Apperson's Hilltop label in 1964). However, the Talty connection continued as several Ohio bands that had ties to Apperson's huge network of bands and band management recorded with Talty in Chicago for the Night Owl label, another one of the labels that Talty produced for but did not own.

Janjo publishing was Talty's (named after his wife and/or kids). Spangle was Apperson's publishing (he bought that from Whited).

There's a hell of a lot more to Apperson, Prism, Night Owl, etc, but it's rock and garage bands, not soul. All this stuff I mentioned was from Andy's recollections, so I don't dare say it's the absolute truth.

Edited by George G
Social source share

I just came across this, although it's probably stale by now. Anyways, I did talk a few times with Andy Apperson, who was the owner of Prism records (he's long dead, as is Talty). He didn't remember much about the Paulette & Cupids 45 other than the Prism issue was actually a second pressing (the Adanti was first) and that they were from Chicago and Talty's doing. At some time, exactly when I never did get straight, Apperson met Talty. Together they were involved with 45s on the Sound Spectrum label, which was owned by someone else (typical of Talty's MO). Appseron mentioned Matt Johnson and Willie Mabon as having something to do with SS. SS used a variation of the prism beam logo that Apperson had designed for Prism. Not sure why, but Apperson decided to release the P&C 45 on his label. Pepi was from Dayton, real name Pam Voiles. She recorded two 45s on Prism. The first one, with the Bradley song, was recorded in Chicago. The second one was probably cut in Dayton. It's definitely a different session.

Not long after the Pepi and P&C 45s, Apperson sold his interest in Prism to Floyd Whited in Dayton sometime in early-mid 1965. (Whited had started Prism but merged the label name with Apperson's Hilltop label in 1964). However, the Talty connection continued as several Ohio bands that had ties to Apperson's huge network of bands and band management recorded with Talty in Chicago for the Night Owl label, another one of the labels that Talty produced for but did not own.

Janjo publishing was Talty's (named after his wife and/or kids). Spangle was Apperson's publishing (he bought that from Whited).

There's a hell of a lot more to Apperson, Prism, Night Owl, etc, but it's rock and garage bands, not soul. All this stuff I mentioned was from Andy's recollections, so I don't dare say it's the absolute truth.

thanks for the clarification... do you think paulette and the cupids includes the same paulette as on contact?

Social source share

thanks for the clarification... do you think paulette and the cupids includes the same paulette as on contact?

Sorry, the trail goes cold for me. I did pick up Robert Pruter's Chicago Soul book to see if there was anything in there. Nothing RE: Paulette or Prism, but he does mention in the footnotes about Talty's 'private papers' which at the time were in the possesion of Janice McVickers which I presume is his daughter (the Jan of Janjo). Maybe something to track down? Pg. 184 of the book has the footnote.

I found something else in my notes about Talty and Apperson. Seems like Apperson contacted Talty because he had ties to Chess...or so Apperson thought. From there they came up with the Sound Spectrum label and released a 45 by an Ohio rock band that Apperson managed, the Muphets. Forget about Apperson's estate having anything. All was destroyed.

- George

Social source share

Sorry, the trail goes cold for me. I did pick up Robert Pruter's Chicago Soul book to see if there was anything in there. Nothing RE: Paulette or Prism, but he does mention in the footnotes about Talty's 'private papers' which at the time were in the possesion of Janice McVickers which I presume is his daughter (the Jan of Janjo). Maybe something to track down? Pg. 184 of the book has the footnote.

I found something else in my notes about Talty and Apperson. Seems like Apperson contacted Talty because he had ties to Chess...or so Apperson thought. From there they came up with the Sound Spectrum label and released a 45 by an Ohio rock band that Apperson managed, the Muphets. Forget about Apperson's estate having anything. All was destroyed.

- George

Thanks for your help, I will ask Pruter about the papers you refer to.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert