• Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Superb tune! thumbsup.gif

Thought it was about £900.. Trying to think where I heard it out last.. :lol:

It's played out regular, Lowton, Cleethropes, Wilton and others.....

Last one I saw was 8 or 900. Did JM auction one, Gingers, or was Gingers Derek Allens copy? Did Tim auction one too? There was one up for offers 600 plus on SS last year. Like Joe says more than a handfull through e-bay over the years despite whaty popsike says.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

£800 + maybe these days. It does get played by the odd DJ. Guys old Patty J & Contacts cover up.

Used to get regular plays at Blackburn, Mexborough, Shotts etc late 80s - early 90s via Kitch.

Great record, she does sound like she's munted though tongue.gif

Social source share

It's played out regular, Lowton, Cleethropes, Wilton and others.....

Last one I saw was 8 or 900. Did JM auction one, Gingers, or was Gingers Derek Allens copy? Did Tim auction one too? There was one up for offers 600 plus on SS last year. Like Joe says more than a handfull through e-bay over the years despite whaty popsike says.

Was going to say what happened to Dereks copy Chalky,i know it was a regular spin for him about 97-98 at Awsworth in notts.I thought MIck H had his copy..maybe not

Social source share

Yes that'd be it..

Dudley steve has one i think he got it off ebay? I asked him it he fancied selling it but i didn't realise it went for that kind of money(i could think of much better records to spend that kind of money on), funnilly enough i think he got the hump with me as i've not heard off him since ohmy.gif .

Social source share

Was going to say what happened to Dereks copy Chalky,i know it was a regular spin for him about 97-98 at Awsworth in notts.I thought MIck H had his copy..maybe not

big spin for Derek Allen at Alfreton,pisses me of big time when you lot say it was played here it was played there,but never give alfreton any reckognition for having played them. brown sugar - the game is over and gladys kight - i will fight ,to name a few Derek made into east midland monsters via alfreton ,Hence why its on the website click the player https://alfretonsoulclub.homestead.com/ btw Derek didn't own paulette - honest i do in 97/98 jim ,he bought it because he liked the song and it was his wifes name,paula wanted it played at his funeral but mr roberts said he didnt know such a record

Social source share

big spin for Derek Allen at Alfreton,pisses me of big time when you lot say it was played here it was played there,but never give alfreton any reckognition for having played them. brown sugar - the game is over and gladys kight - i will fight ,to name a few Derek made into east midland monsters via alfreton ,Hence why its on the website click the player https://alfretonsoulclub.homestead.com/ btw Derek didn't own paulette - honest i do in 97/98 jim ,he bought it because he liked the song and it was his wifes name,paula wanted it played at his funeral but mr roberts said he didnt know such a record

but with all due respect Ian, these tracks you mentioned were played here there and everywhere, not just at Alfreton, but before Alfreton as well. Alfreton just one of the many venues in the midlands that these records were played. Paulette had been a big record for years before Derek got it, first via Guy in the mid 80's. And as for Derek I wouldn't associate him really with any one venue as he was DJing here there and everywhere. Anyway it was asked if it was played anywhere these days :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

must have been later then but i do know he use to play it there can remember dancing to it,where did all his tunes go by the way,i know where some went,he had some nice tunes

Social source share

Guest Byrney

but with all due respect Ian, these tracks you mentioned were played here there and everywhere, not just at Alfreton, but before Alfreton as well. Alfreton just one of the many venues in the midlands that these records were played. Paulette had been a big record for years before Derek got it, first via Guy in the mid 80's. And as for Derek I wouldn't associate him really with any one venue as he was DJing here there and everywhere. Anyway it was asked if it was played anywhere these days :thumbsup:

Beat me to it Chalky. Played all over the shop long, long before Alfreton by Guy then Kitch and I think Dean too. Brown Sugar (both sides) Rock City Modern Night spins wasn't they?

How interesting that Sam spun this at the Palais in 78!

Social source share

but with all due respect Ian, these tracks you mentioned were played here there and everywhere, not just at Alfreton, but before Alfreton as well. Alfreton just one of the many venues in the midlands that these records were played. Paulette had been a big record for years before Derek got it, first via Guy in the mid 80's. And as for Derek I wouldn't associate him really with any one venue as he was DJing here there and everywhere. Anyway it was asked if it was played anywhere these days :thumbsup:

hiya chalky

i'm not saying that derek played them first ,but they was reactivated in the east midlands by him and i am sure he did it at alfreton,how you keeping anyway

Social source share

Guest Byrney

hiya chalky

i'm not saying that derek played them first ,but they was reactivated in the east midlands by him and i am sure he did it at alfreton,how you keeping anyway

Fail to see why you're pissed off with us not mentioning Alfreton then. Baring in mind that this was broke by Guy at Stafford (or Sam @ the Palais? - difference between broke and played :rolleyes: ) and played from mid 80s right up to early 90s at Blackburn, Mexborough, Chesterfield, Shotts, 100 club, Derby Warehouse and Arnold (Notts) all dayers etc etc just a few years before Derek played it at other venues including Alfreton. Just cannot see what your claim for Alfreton is here.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

"Dudley steve has one i think he got it off ebay? I asked him it he fancied selling it but i didn't realise it went for that kind of money(i could think of much better records to spend that kind of money on), funnilly enough i think he got the hump with me as i've not heard off him since"

I got it form ebay a few years back..its booked at £1200 now I think? Dudley Steve got it from Phil on here a bit beaten up for £700 ish....that will be the copyt that Chalky is talking about.

'i've seen a more than a handfull go through eBay over the last 5 years - all to DJs...

Not as rare as some would have you think.'

Wonder where all these copies that went through ebay are? What prices did they go for through ebay on average?

Roger had his one on his list for £1000 a while back as well.....

Edited by mulf
Social source share

hiya chalky

Hi Ian, very popular record for Derek.

I'm good thanks, hope your likewise.

Social source share

"Dudley steve has one i think he got it off ebay? I asked him it he fancied selling it but i didn't realise it went for that kind of money(i could think of much better records to spend that kind of money on), funnilly enough i think he got the hump with me as i've not heard off him since"

I got it form ebay a few years back..its booked at £1200 now I think? Dudley Steve got it from Phil on here a bit beaten up for £700 ish....that will be the copyt that Chalky is talking about.

'i've seen a more than a handfull go through eBay over the last 5 years - all to DJs...

Not as rare as some would have you think.'

Wonder where all these copies that went through ebay are? What prices did they go for through ebay on average?

Roger had his one on his list for £1000 a while back as well.....

I think it depends on who many fingers you have on your hand, now if your a clock then its 3 copies sold on ebay at tops I bet.

Social source share

I've been outbid on at least four, never bidding quite enough, because I've seen other copies go through, and not taking into account my watchlist for it expired about two years ago.

That's where I got my 'handfull' from.

The cheapest copy I saw went for just over three hundred - but unfortunately I was completely brassic at the time.

Why can't people accept that some of us are sat scanning eBay constantly, so tend to spot every copy of a record that comes up?

Social source share

So its still a rare record then...we're not in Joe Jama territory yet! :unsure::D

Her other one on Prism is turd, and the flip of 'Love You Babe' is cringingly poor.....

Did she have any involvement with other Barry Dispenza groups/recordings?

I am 99% sure that Paulette and the Cupids on Prism is Jan Bradley. It is not the same Paulette as Paulette on Contact as far as I know. Is there some specific reason you are saying it is the same person besides the name "Paulette"?

Social source share

I am 99% sure that Paulette and the Cupids on Prism is Jan Bradley. It is not the same Paulette as Paulette on Contact as far as I know. Is there some specific reason you are saying it is the same person besides the name "Paulette"?

A lot of "red Herrings" on this one.

The Prism 1922 release "He'll Wait On Me" is wrote by Jan Bradley

According to often inaccurate R&B indies book. The label is from Dayton Ohio. But it is blantantly a Chicago pressing. R&BI say 1965 release?

My question is: Why would an established artist like Jan Bradley (We have 45s on the shelves under her single artist credit) on Formal & Night Owl etc, etc from 1961/2 her massive hit "Mama Didn't Lie" was 1962. Why the hell would you become "Paulette" 3 years later? Then revert back to Jan Bradley a year later.

Interestingly Jan Bradley doesn't seem to have any 45 releases for the 1965 year?

On playing the Formal 45s and the Prism 45, they are similiar vocally but IMHO not the same vocalist, but styles do change.

I've been let down by R&B indies so many times I'm starting not to trust the info, they do show the "wrong" logo" for the record on Prism.

Some more info is needed on this trivial matter. I always assumed it was the "same" Paulette because how many Paulette's can there be singing Soul from the same city in the same period only using her first name?

Just as confused as when I started, any info gratefully received..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A lot of "red Herrings" on this one.

The Prism 1922 release "He'll Wait On Me" is wrote by Jan Bradley

According to often inaccurate R&B indies book. The label is from Dayton Ohio. But it is blantantly a Chicago pressing. R&BI say 1965 release?

My question is: Why would an established artist like Jan Bradley (We have 45s on the shelves under her single artist credit) on Formal & Night Owl etc, etc from 1961/2 her massive hit "Mama Didn't Lie" was 1962. Why the hell would you become "Paulette" 3 years later? Then revert back to Jan Bradley a year later.

Interestingly Jan Bradley doesn't seem to have any 45 releases for the 1965 year?

On playing the Formal 45s and the Prism 45, they are similiar vocally but IMHO not the same vocalist, but styles do change.

I've been let down by R&B indies so many times I'm starting not to trust the info, they do show the "wrong" logo" for the record on Prism.

Some more info is needed on this trivial matter. I always assumed it was the "same" Paulette because how many Paulette's can there be singing Soul from the same city in the same period only using her first name?

Just as confused as when I started, any info gratefully received..

hello mate,any chance of a bit of moonlighting?.......not uncommon is those far off days,just a wild thought?

Social source share

hello mate,any chance of a bit of moonlighting?.......not uncommon is those far off days,just a wild thought?

The vocal to my ears is different.. Jan Bradley wrote it, and there a similarity in the vocals. That's the only connection I can come up with for Paulette on Prism being Jan Bradley. Moonlighting a possiblity of course, but they soun d to me at least different artists.. arrh, but if she was moonlighting perhaps she disguised her voice..?

There must be a Bio on Jan & even an artist listing Paulette & The Cupids.. perhaps

Social source share

I've been outbid on at least four, never bidding quite enough, because I've seen other copies go through, and not taking into account my watchlist for it expired about two years ago.

That's where I got my 'handfull' from.

The cheapest copy I saw went for just over three hundred - but unfortunately I was completely brassic at the time.

Why can't people accept that some of us are sat scanning eBay constantly, so tend to spot every copy of a record that comes up?

I bet you will find that a lot of people are sat scanning for this record on Ebay your self included and there hasn't been one in 2 years unless it was a Buy It Now so you haven missed much :P .

I have seen more copies of Jo Jamma on Ebay and sales boxes than Paulette unless this is because its a new record, Paulette being such an oldie has had time for all the copies to be found.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I bet you will find that a lot of people are sat scanning for this record on Ebay your self included and there hasn't been one in 2 years unless it was a Buy It Now so you haven missed much :P .

I have seen more copies of Jo Jamma on Ebay and sales boxes than Paulette unless this is because its a new record, Paulette being such an oldie has had time for all the copies to be found.

I've seen more Joe Jamma on ebay (where most of the copies for sale have been) but more Paulette elsewhere, lists, boxes etc.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Jan Bradley released her own version of He'll Wait" on Chess ,completely different recording to Paulette.

All I had to do was look..stupid boy!

I have BOTH Paulette & Jan Bradley in stock, Thanks Tony for pointing this out.

I'm about to play them..

Wait for it.. yep these can't be the same girls.. certainly different vocals & recordings.

I prefer the "Paulette" version! She's a little gritter than Jan.

R&B indies have Paulette as 1965. Jan Bradley Chess #1975 release is 1966. I think Paulette's 45 must be 1966 also, they would have picked up on Jan's recording which was a flipside.

Social source share

'I've seen more Joe Jamma on ebay (where most of the copies for sale have been) but more Paulette elsewhere, lists, boxes etc.'

What sort of price has it been going for Chalky?

I saw a battered one on Shifty's list a few years back but that went within about three minutes.

Social source share

'I've seen more Joe Jamma on ebay (where most of the copies for sale have been) but more Paulette elsewhere, lists, boxes etc.'

What sort of price has it been going for Chalky?

I saw a battered one on Shifty's list a few years back but that went within about three minutes.

can't say I've seen one lately other than more recent auction items but over the years it's price has been from the low hundreds up towards a four figure sum.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert