Soul Scotland Was: Glasgow Weekender?

Guest fifesoul

Does anyone know what is happening as regards to a weekender in Glasgow I think August/ Sept been away for the last few months but im sure there was talk of a weekender around august at one of the big hotels in Glasgow

Thanks Kieran

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Roddy

Kieran,

I doubt it is happening as no one has put anything up on it , The flyers that were out about a year ago were the only flyers i saw.

And it was the same date as the 100 club aniversary so some of the djays were already booked.

In my opinion a weekender in Scotland is a poor idea until we have a regular nighter scene.

Again in my opinion to many egos to many soul nights and not enough people from Scotland travelling to hear what is played in the rest of the Uk.

Regards

Roddy

Social source share

Guest johnm

The Glasgow Mod Weekender was the weekend of the 27th June if that' what you are talking about.

Have a mini weekender in Glasgow this weekend with Friday St at blackfriars tonight, their 8th anniversary,

and then Blacktrackin at the Woodside club on Saturday night

Social source share

Does anyone know what is happening as regards to a weekender in Glasgow I think August/ Sept been away for the last few months but im sure there was talk of a weekender around august at one of the big hotels in Glasgow

Thanks Kieran

yeah keiran defietely, knocked on the head, it was to be in september. due to the fact that the guy who runs the central hotel could nt tie down the licence, colin had to wait till the week before the event to find out if it could run till 3am sat and sun., and that wasnt guaranteed. he was majorly fucked about by the management at the hotel.

so it was deciced not to re advertise it and just let it die away.

its a pity.

maybe another time.

Edited by lenny h.
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

John,

I think kieran is referring to a comepleatly different weekender than the mod one.

i remember seeing it mentioned about a year ago but like you roddy i haven't seen anything since

Social source share

Thanks guys back in 2 weeks saturday cant wait shame about the weekender sure the guys from dundee will sort that one soon :lol::lol:

looking forward to dundee 22nd aug I think seems like i missed some fantastic nights over the summer I hear Alan Patterson is playing so in for a treat there anyway and a few of the lads have already booked me to go to aberdeen all nighter I hear so that should be ace

Just on the travel around the U.K to hear whats going on been down to a few nights not many last year NCS brookfields and middleton I think cant remember maybe Liam Q will remind me where it was anyhoo IMO the djs and promoters up here do a great job as a punter im constantly hearing new stuff be it Dundee Soul Club , Spiders Web Edinburgh or Davies R&B nights and although the nights down there yes are all-nighters the quality of records been played up here more than matches down south

Hear your point though and an all nighter reguarly would be great for now I have to wait to Aberdeen all-nighter, having 4 months break forced upon me i I'll take what I can :rolleyes:whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Kiernan,again this is only opinion the nights in Scotland that you mentioned are fine but limited crowd and dancefloor limits their attraction for me.There are too many nights in Scotland of varrying degrees of quality genre taste etc.

Northern in my opinion or R&B are meant for the nighter scene in clubs with room to move we have not had a regular nighter in Scotland for over twenty years and i believe it has been to the detrement of the soul scene in Scotland.

Social source share

Guest Roddy

chalky there has been no advertising in Scotland for the peps as far as i know and at this stage i think it unlikely to happen

Social source share

Kiernan,again this is only opinion the nights in Scotland that you mentioned are fine but limited crowd and dancefloor limits their attraction for me.There are too many nights in Scotland of varrying degrees of quality genre taste etc.

Northern in my opinion or R&B are meant for the nighter scene in clubs with room to move we have not had a regular nighter in Scotland for over twenty years and i believe it has been to the detrement of the soul scene in Scotland.

Hi Roddy

Totally agree with the size of venues nothing better than a nice big wooden dance floor the one at brookfields NCS was massive and really made my night as you could throw a few moves Dundee Soul Club has moved form there previous venue at satchmo,s to a new venue really good bigger floor and more room if im a bit honest down south you really are spoiled for choice as far as venue sizes go and the amount of different nights to choose from dont understand really when you hear people complaining about the scene down south that all said I love the scene up here and the records been spin by the fantastic dj,s is second to none as the is the atmosphere

SOULFULLY KIERAN

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Glad you are enjoying Scotland ! I wish ifelt the same and so does my wallet as I travel down south from Edinburgh most weekends.

Social source share

06:25 AM' post='823983']

Glad you are enjoying Scotland ! I wish ifelt the same and so does my wallet as I travel down south from Edinburgh most weekends.

06:25am :lol: how you coping with the insomnia these days he he he :lol: same problem with the travelling down south head says do it wallet says cant next trip down the re probably next month liam Q night in Manchester anyhoo enjoy the weekend

Soulfully Kieran

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert