Uber Seriousness Of Soul

Hello y'all !

One thing I like about Soul,

is that it doesn't kid around that much. I mean the guys are all business ! The plain solid truth and nothing but the truth of the feeling, they give ! I find that comforting to the point that I start to do the Charles Wright, and spin in the street or something... Express Yourself... once again the guy is being uber serious about it. Am I wrong ? Even when he's letting it go and starts having serious fun with it !

But as I was saying, this is not a common thing to hear, some would even say it's not very far from being almost very raer, I would say.

The thing that got me started on this thoughts, is the end of Trick Or Treat - Otis Reading where he starts to Ad Lib (or so he seems) about all the tricks she's got hanging from there, from here, from the wall... Garrr ! I swear we can hear him having fun with the song this time - this is brilliant.

Another obvious example, knowing the guy, is when Little Richard sits down and that he cries, that sometimes while he thinks, honey, he even sighs, that he moans, that he even groans sometime etc. I mean, there it is! just beneath the surface !

(I Don't Know What You've Got But It's Got Me - alternate take).

Well done Mr Richard! not an easy thing to do, put humor in the genre of the genres !

But I cannot find another example of this fine line between the fun and the seriousness of soul.

I guess the soul has got to be serious.

Uber serious.

And I'm not being funny !

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

... Doris Duke's I DON'T CARE ANYMORE

:ohmy:  CHILLING ... to the point of being scary, indeed ! this is huge man, too bad I can't put my hand on the Linda Jones' one.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As, amusingly, you, ZapatootheTiger, helped me answer zappa's question: No, humor doesn't belong in Soul music.

funny world !

Social source share

Guest sandi

:ohmy: CHILLING ... to the point of being scary, indeed ! this is huge man, too bad I can't put my hand on the Linda Jones' one.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As, amusingly, you, ZapatootheTiger, helped me answer zappa's question: No, humor doesn't belong in Soul music.

funny world !

John Gary Williams, "The Whole Damn World is going Crazy"

He sings it with so much feeling, a true soul record IMO, because its about love of humanity.............Fantastic....and the line that goes, " In the holy holy land, look theres a man with a gun in his hand ", it makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Social source share

:lol: CHILLING ... to the point of being scary, indeed ! this is huge man, too bad I can't put my hand on the Linda Jones' one.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As, amusingly, you, ZapatootheTiger, helped me answer zappa's question: No, humor doesn't belong in Soul music.

funny world !

Joe Tex might disagree, he mixes some interesting humour with great soulful singing,

Not at home at moment, but will put Linda Jones up when I get home for you, be warned close the curtains and sit down before you listen to it, it is quite life changing!

Social source share

Joe Tex might disagree, he mixes some interesting humour with great soulful singing,

I dunno Jocko. I always took Joe Tex's "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)" to be a serious message which pointed out the kind of damage and deep psychological trauma which can be sustained following an assualt and grievous boldily harm with a deadly weapon, in this instance, a big fat woman.............

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

I dunno Jocko. I always took Joe Tex's "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)" to be a serious message which pointed out the kind of damage and deep psychological trauma which can be sustained following an assualt and grievous boldily harm with a deadly weapon, in this instance, a big fat woman.............

Ian D :wave:

WHAT ABOUT THE FLIP SIDE IT MAKES ME LAUGH

Social source share

Can someone normal please re-read this thread and tell me it is not the most bizarre thread in months - I know I have me moments as regards odd postings but the one at the top deserves an award surely - it's a blinder.

Yours,

A fan.

Social source share

the humour in R&B is one of the things i love the most. of course there's a time for heart-wrenching emotional tracks, but surely there's also a time to have a laugh?

and Joe Tex did 'I Don't Play' about being serious and never joking... and of course, it's quite a funny track

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I REALLY DONT GET THIS THREAD AT ALL

I thought it was just me.

Waffle.

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

I thought it was just me.

Waffle.

Don't worry for me :lol:  please.

It was just an observation that crossed my mind, that the more serious the artists was about the subject of his song, the better the Soul Music was. And to the contrary being less serious, it was loosing a bit of it's soul or gospel element if you will, leaving it plain soulfull R&B. It was more of a wordplay between soul and Soul Music where being serious in your soul can lead you to better places that being not, something like that.

OK, I was preaching, I admit. :lol:

Social source share

Don't worry for me :lol: please.

It was just an observation that crossed my mind, that the more serious the artists was about the subject of his song, the better the Soul Music was. And to the contrary being less serious, it was loosing a bit of it's soul or gospel element if you will, leaving it plain soulfull R&B. It was more of a wordplay between soul and Soul Music where being serious in your soul can lead you to better places that being not, something like that.

NO SORRY BABES STILL DONT GET IT ...BUT THAT AINT YOUR FAULT ...ITS THE PIMMS ...LOL.....

Social source share

oh heck must have missed that bit,, its a bit awful innit? no infact its bloody dreadful ... why is that funny? its just sad! was joe tex on drugs? lol

I find it funny cause the guy is so over exited about it, like he's completly hooked on disco: I think that's a metaphore for any type of addiction, not just drugs. Maybe his message is about that: you can get hooked on anything...

And then theres the bit about taking this issue to the March in Washigton, the guy is completly triping, you can find that funny or sad but my point is you will often see your own story in the word of others.

For example, I would see in the march in washigton  a symbole of a possible way out of his addiction, like in A.A when you turn to a higher power for wisdom etc. but that's just me projecting what I want to see.

Social source share

I find it funny cause the guy is so over exited about it, like he's completly hooked on disco: I think that's a metaphore for any type of addiction, not just drugs. Maybe his message is about that: you can get hooked on anything...

And then theres the bit about taking this issue to the March in Washigton, the guy is completly triping, you can find that funny or sad but my point is you will often see your own story in the word of others.

For example, I would see in the march in washigton a symbole of a possible way out of his addiction, like in A.A when you turn to a higher power for wisdom etc. but that's just me projecting what I want to see.

whatever ya say xsp...totally trippin huns.... he was gettin a tad excited ... but he dont do it like Otis now does he?

its funny though cos this tragic b side dont half sound like a big northern hit he had..... :lol:

Social source share

whatever ya say xsp...totally trippin huns.... he was gettin a tad excited ... but he dont do it like Otis now does he?

its funny though cos this tragic b side dont half sound like a big northern hit he had..... :lol:

What tragic B side ?,see the simularity with under you power for love......another scarey addiction.

Social source share

thats the one Ken under your powerful love couldnt remember the name of the bloody thing...it is very similar :D:D:lol::lol:

Discomania is a A side promo Dawn,mich later on TK. :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Don't worry for me :D please.

It was just an observation that crossed my mind, that the more serious the artists was about the subject of his song, the better the Soul Music was. And to the contrary being less serious, it was loosing a bit of it's soul or gospel element if you will, leaving it plain soulfull R&B. It was more of a wordplay between soul and Soul Music where being serious in your soul can lead you to better places that being not, something like that.

I dont think the vocal content reflects how Soulful a song is. A soul song doesn't need to be serious in the sense its about a social or political theme such as John Gary Williams amongst others. Im not saying these type of songs arent soulful on the contrary they are.

Who is to say that a song about the state of the world or unemployment is more Soulful just because its "serious"? Most Soul songs are about human relationships and surely there is nothing more serious than having your heart wripped out by someone or falling in love?

A Spanish friend of mine explained to me that although he didn't understand the lyrics of Soul music he loved it none the less as the passion, intensity and dedication of the artists struck him on a deep level and he just felt the music. You could tell by the look in his eyes when dancing that they could have been singing about a bucket of cheese for all he cared or knew yet the vocal performance and music struck him deeply.

Social source share

Guest SoulBoogieAlex

I take Rufus Thomas quite serious when he call for a Funky Penguin. :D

I don't really feel that Soul is more or less serious than other genres. What did always struck me as distinct to a lot of Soul that pain and heartache is suffered with the heart out on the table and a enormous amount of pride. Soul singers seem to stand tall in the face of adversity.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert