I See You Name - Chris Bartley Uk Right On

Just going through some stuff and re-played "I See Your Name" Voc & Inst - Chris Bartley on UK Right On! RO 105. I think it's a promo as it has a giant A on the vocal side.

However I can't seem to turn up much on it and there seem to be very few listings for such a great record. So was it ever officially issued? I certainly haven't seen many copies.........

Thanks in advance.

Also a couple of other UK things I could do with prices on if poss......

"My Man" - Barry St John Decca F13529

"Here I Am, In Love Again" - The Brothers Two Action ACT4513

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just going through some stuff and re-played "I See Your Name" Voc & Inst - Chris Bartley on UK Right On! RO 105. I think it's a promo as it has a giant A on the vocal side.

However I can't seem to turn up much on it and there seem to be very few listings for such a great record. So was it ever officially issued? I certainly haven't seen many copies.........

Thanks in advance.

Also a couple of other UK things I could do with prices on if poss......

"My Man" - Barry St John Decca F13529

"Here I Am, In Love Again" - The Brothers Two Action ACT4513

Ian D biggrin.gif

===

hi ian

came out on EXTRA which i think was canadian only but maybe wrong

brothers two can be found for a tenner...on US Crimson for slighty more - nice old tune..

Social source share

===

hi ian

came out on EXTRA which i think was canadian only but maybe wrong

brothers two can be found for a tenner...on US Crimson for slighty more - nice old tune..

Cheers Mark. I saw that one in the price guides but what's the value of the UK copy out of interest?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Interesting, whats the story behind the Canadian based Righ On label then that had Dolly Gilmore for example ? Subsidary of the Godin owned UK label huh.gif ?

Marc

No - even Dave didn't know about the origins of those. He always said it was a straight rip off!

I have most (if not all) of the Canadian ones as well.

Pretty much the same design / layout and colour scheme.

Sean

Social source share

No - even Dave didn't know about the origins of those. He always said it was a straight rip off!

I have most (if not all) of the Canadian ones as well.

Pretty much the same design / layout and colour scheme.

Sean

Yes, absolutely the same look and feel except for the bigger hole of course. But how come then Dolly Gimore and Sammy Gaha do command such a high price tag then if the origin is dubious ? Or was Dave Godin "only" on about the deisgn and name of teh Candian based label to be a rip off of his UK label ?

Marc

Social source share

Yes, absolutely the same look and feel except for the bigger hole of course. But how come then Dolly Gimore and Sammy Gaha do command such a high price tag then if the origin is dubious ? Or was Dave Godin "only" on about the deisgn and name of teh Candian based label to be a rip off of his UK label ?

Marc

I think Right On was actually first and foremost a USA label owned by Bill Downs, who was at one time Van McCoy's partner - he was the "do" in Vando and Mr McCoy was the "Van".

Bill did lots of business with Dave Godin and from what Bill told me in the 70's allowed Dave to use the name for the UK label.

Bill managed Chris Bartley and the Ad Libs and at Inferno we licenced from him "New York In The Dark" - The Ad Libs, "You Don't Mean Me No Good" - The Jellybeans and "Come Back" - The Fantstic Puzzles . I also bought out the rights to "Your Autumn of Tomorrow" - The Crow from a deal put together by Bill, and of course like "Come Back" this this had previously come out here on Right On. The company who owned The Crow were not interested in a licence deal, they would only do deal to sell outright the master recording which I was/am chuffed about.

Funnily enough I was sorting through old boxes of tapes at the weekend and found the original tape Bill sent us of The Fantastic Puzzles, complete with all the Right On credits, fantasic collectors item, as the credits were done in USA sort of confirms that Right On was originally a US label?

All the Best,

Neil

www.soulvation.biz

Social source share

I think Right On was actually first and foremost a USA label owned by Bill Downs, who was at one time Van McCoy's partner - he was the "do" in Vando and Mr McCoy was the "Van".

Bill did lots of business with Dave Godin and from what Bill told me in the 70's allowed Dave to use the name for the UK label.

Bill managed Chris Bartley and the Ad Libs and at Inferno we licenced from him "New York In The Dark" - The Ad Libs, "You Don't Mean Me No Good" - The Jellybeans and "Come Back" - The Fantstic Puzzles . I also bought out the rights to "Your Autumn of Tomorrow" - The Crow from a deal put together by Bill, and of course like "Come Back" this this had previously come out here on Right On. The company who owned The Crow were not interested in a licence deal, they would only do deal to sell outright the master recording which I was/am chuffed about.

Funnily enough I was sorting through old boxes of tapes at the weekend and found the original tape Bill sent us of The Fantastic Puzzles, complete with all the Right On credits, fantasic collectors item, as the credits were done in USA sort of confirms that Right On was originally a US label?

All the Best,

Neil

www.soulvation.biz

Mmmmmmmmm thanks Neil, understand that Bill Downs licensed a few of the tracks to Dave Godin - but where's the logic in the fact that none of the tracks that appeared on the UK Right On logo appeared on the 'US' Right On variant... or indeed vice versa!

I always understood that the 'US' Right On's were (as I seem to recall) of Canadian origin and not US.

What's more, Dave categorically denied having cribbed the 'US' logo (Can you imagine Dave ever copying anything???) that it was the other way around... and that he did not know who was behind it.

All very confusing.

So did Bill Downs own the US/Canadian operation... and which is the original logo?

My money is on Dave's being first. After all, the logo itself was half of Dave's own slogan/strapline...

Keep The Faith... Right On Now!

Anyone confirm one way or t'other?

Sean

Social source share

i always believed daves story about not knowing about canadas right on label, they never asked permission etc but the more you think about it its strange, i mean the u.k releases rozza&wine, canada releases the same on 12"....coincidence? nah!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert