Earnings - Part Two

Having read the thread on a 'Question of earnings' I thought I might add this as to how people spend their money.

I have done a quick count of cars in our 'street' and have the following tally.

1 Rolls Royce

1 Bentley

1 Aston Martin

1 Ferrari

6 Range Rovers

2 Porsche

1 Jaguar

5 Mercedes

Numerous BMWs and Alfas.

Me, I have a Vectra :D but the best soul record collection :D ( well, I hope I do!)

Julian

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Beeks

Oh dear...perhaps I should leave now while I have the chance...get into pop music and look forward to a world full of materialistic goods :D

PS. Incidentally my wordly goods barring my record collection are a TV, A Sofa, A Bed, Clothes, A Computer and not much else hahaha

Thank god for fully furnished property!! :D

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Been here as few years but I agree with you entirely ( don't tell the Mrs :D )

:D:g:

I was talking to a friend on Saturday night who informed me that he pretty much bought his house from selling his collection in the seventies! :D

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

My first house in '74 was mainly financed through record sales :D

Wow! If only i'd been born in the decade that i was spiritually ment to have been born in! :D I'll never be able to get on the property ladder at this rate! :D Which is why instead of saving for a deposit on a house i may as well just buy records! :g:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Which is why instead of saving for a deposit on a house i may as well just buy records! :D

Then sell the records when the bottom drops out of the housing market...buy a house...sell it on for a big profit when the housing market recovers...then buy double the amount of records.....sorted!! :D

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Then sell the records when the bottom drops out of the housing market...buy a house...sell it on for a big profit when the housing market recovers...then buy double the amount of records.....sorted!! :D

Aha...the perfect plan! :D

We were talking about the earnings thing on the way to Stoke on Saturday and alongside the fact that people paid thruppence for 10 records back in t'day ( :g: ) i'll bet that a good slice of the money they get paid for DJing these top tunes goes on records aswell! :D

Social source share

Aha...the perfect plan! wink.gif

We were talking about the earnings thing on the way to Stoke on Saturday and alongside the fact that people paid thruppence for 10 records back in t'day ( :thumbsup: ) i'll bet that a good slice of the money they get paid for DJing these top tunes goes on records aswell! yes.gif

I'm not so sure y'know.. I bet the money these guys get for DJ'ing just goes on fuel and costs on the night these days. DJ wages have never been "in line" with what they pay for the records. Suppose that's the beauty of inviting Collectors to play records rather than 'career DJ's'. It just wouldn't be sustainable to run a business as a 'northern soul' DJ, playing original vinyl. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Having read the thread on a 'Question of earnings' I thought I might add this as to how people spend their money.

1 Rolls Royce

1 Bentley

1 Aston Martin

1 Ferrari

6 Range Rovers

2 Porsche

1 Jaguar

5 Mercedes

Numerous BMWs and Alfas.

Me, I have a Vectra sad.gif but the best soul record collection biggrin.gif ( well, I hope I do!)

Julian

House over looks a Premiership FC training ground eh :thumbsup:

Social source share

The cost of housing and living is ridiculous these days

my son and g/friend are saving up 10% deposit 10k for their first property theyre lookin at 100k

when we bought ours in 1984 we paid £14.700 for a 3 bed semi with garage paid £700 deposit and it left us with 95% mortgage (most folks pay that for a car these days :thumbsup: )

until we sold it in 2003 we were paying ....wait for it....

£65 per MONTH mortgage then £22 for the endowment

Mand

Social source share

The cost of housing and living is ridiculous these days

my son and g/friend are saving up 10% deposit 10k for their first property theyre lookin at 100k

when we bought ours in 1984 we paid £14.700 for a 3 bed semi with garage paid £700 deposit and it left us with 95% mortgage (most folks pay that for a car these days :thumbsup: )

until we sold it in 2003 we were paying ....wait for it....

£65 per MONTH mortgage then £22 for the endowment

Mand

What o/o of your wage was that, I live in London and property has been expensive for years a 1 bed room flat in 1984 was £40,000 that's inner city.

Social source share

House over looks a Premiership FC training ground eh laugh.gif

laugh.gif ..I was thinking 'footballer land' too...I'm sure a few must live in that area.. :thumbsup:

Clearly Julian doesn't live in Salford then.. LOL.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

What o/o of your wage was that, I live in London and property has been expensive for years a 1 bed room flat in 1984 was £40,000 that's inner city.

Im not sure Proph

my hubby was workin at the local brickyard his earnings were If I remember 16k and mine was a couple of k p/time

the local housing was old colliery housing built in the 50s/ 60s they were rented to the miners then sold off to them cheap when Maggie thatcher came along

my dad paid 7k for his! he bought it when i was a kid at home

Social source share

Then sell the records when the bottom drops out of the housing market...buy a house...sell it on for a big profit when the housing market recovers...then buy double the amount of records.....sorted!! :thumbsup:

I've heard many many stories from guys who sold their collections to fund house purchases, having kids and settling down in the 80's. Once the kids had grown up etc, many people paid loads more to get the records back that they'd previously sold. sad.gif I hear stories like that on a weekly basis, sadly nowit's matched with stories of records being sold to fund divorces too!..

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

I can remember my first job should have been £17.50 a week but I always ducked on a Monday following a heavy weekend. My boss called me to ask why I only ever worked 4 days a week so I told him "Its because I can't manage on three days pay" redundancy soon followed :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I've heard many many stories from guys who sold their collections to fund house purchases, having kids and settling down in the 80's. Once the kids had grown up etc, many people paid loads more to get the records back that they'd previously sold. :lol: I hear stories like that on a weekly basis, sadly nowit's matched with stories of records being sold to fund divorces too!..

Jayne.x.

Really? That must hurt more than the divorce! laugh.gif Thing is i suppose, once you start a family thats it for collecting for a while. ph34r.gif I'd rather have records than kids i think! :thumbsup: Though records aren't going to look after me/ship me off to a home when i'm old... g.gif

I can remember my first job should have been £17.50 a week but I always ducked on a Monday following a heavy weekend. My boss called me to ask why I only ever worked 4 days a week so I told him "Its because I can't manage on three days pay" redundancy soon followed :thumbsup:

:boxing: How long did you get away with it though?

Social source share

Really? That must hurt more than the divorce! laugh.gif Thing is i suppose, once you start a family thats it for collecting for a while. :thumbsup: I'd rather have records than kids i think! laugh.gif Though records aren't going to look after me/ship me off to a home when i'm old... :thumbsup:

Yep, I agree!. biggrin.gif I'm surprised you've not come across these stories yourself yet.. There are some bitter divorcee's back on the scene, with tragic tales to tell about the demise of their beloved collections...

Jayne.x. :boxing:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

A lot of my records went to fund both the house purchase then the divorce haha ... Gotta be upbeat though , although i lost the records and the house i also got rid of the mad ginger haired bitch too haha

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Yep, I agree!. :boxing: I'm surprised you've not come across these stories yourself yet.. There are some bitter divorcee's back on the scene, with tragic tales to tell about the demise of their beloved collections...

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

I've heard stories of wives breaking precious vinyl but not sold to fund divorces! :thumbsup:

A lot of my records went to fund both the house purchase then the divorce haha ... Gotta be upbeat though , although i lost the records and the house i also got rid of the mad ginger haired bitch too haha

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I've heard stories of wives breaking precious vinyl but not sold to fund divorces! :thumbsup:

laugh.giflaugh.gif

In my case i REALLY wanted a divorce so took on all costs and it was worth every penny of the 10k it cost me :thumbsup:

Social source share

oops Sorry Davie.... I bet you're not on your own either. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I've heard stories of wives breaking precious vinyl but not sold to fund divorces! ohmy.gif

:thumbsup::boxing:

ohmy.gif ..now that would be unforgivable. If you sell it, you can get it back. Breaking the record..gawd...I'd want to smack anyone who did that.

I considered it once... for a brief moment.. but thought about what I'd do if it happened to me.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

ohmy.gif ..now that would be unforgivable. If you sell it, you can get it back. Breaking the record..gawd...I'd want to smack anyone who did that.

I considered it once... for a brief moment.. but thought about what I'd do if it happened to me.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

I don't think i could entertain it, like you say how would you react if it happened to you? Ooh i'd go mad! yes.gif

Social source share

Yep, I agree!. :thumbsup: I'm surprised you've not come across these stories yourself yet.. There are some bitter divorcee's back on the scene, with tragic tales to tell about the demise of their beloved collections...

Jayne.x. smile.gif

Don't forget folks that when Mrs B and I get divorced, my collection is made up of bootlegs and reissues only whistling.gif I'm counting on you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't forget folks that when Mrs B and I get divorced, my collection is made up of bootlegs and reissues only whistling.gif I'm counting on you :thumbsup:

LOL...you're terrible!!.. I think a copy of Manship's guide would make a great birthday present for Carolyn then.. laugh.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

:ohmy:laugh.gif

A friend of mine gave her husbands records a coat of varnish when they split up, didn't play very well but they had a lovely gloss to them. :D:D

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

A friend of mine gave her husbands records a coat of varnish when they split up, didn't play very well but they had a lovely gloss to them. :thumbsup:laugh.gif

NO!!!! What did he do?! ohmy.gif

Not that crazy an idea :lol:

It's the only way to get on the property ladder nowadays i think. Be hard parting with those sought after & much loved records for something as trivial as a house though... :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

1 Rolls Royce

1 Bentley

1 Aston Martin

1 Ferrari

6 Range Rovers

2 Porsche

1 Jaguar

5 Mercedes

Numerous BMWs and Alfas.

Me, I have a Vectra :thumbsup: but the best soul record collection :thumbsup: ( well, I hope I do!)

Julian

Jesus Julian. Must be scary living around so many drug dealers. You need to move by the sound of it mate........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Jesus Julian. Must be scary living around so many drug dealers. You need to move by the sound of it mate........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Record dealers.......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

2 PUNTO'S (front wing damage not_i.gif )

1 ALLEGRO (that ever popular mustard colour :lol: )

1 VW CARAVETTE (fat willy's sticker cheese1.gif )

4 FIESTA'S (modified :P )

1 AUSTIN A40 (tax exempt,no MOT tho :lol: ).

2 CALIBRA'S (boot spoilers :lol: )

6 WHITE VANS (unmarked :yes: )

2 4X4'S ON STEROIDS. (blacked out windows wanker.gif )

1 CLIO (SORN innocent.gif )

1 SKODA (on bricks).

who lives in a town like this??..........................................I DO!!! :P .

In the style of Rolf Harris - "CAN YOU TELL WHERE IT IS YET"???

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

!10k Fook me :thumbsup::shades::lol: Iv just started mine handed over £800 last week to get it started :lol:

i went for the quickest and therefore the most labour intensive for the solicitor , the female solicitor wanted to hammer my ex-wife which would have cost me more and i couldn't prove she was a cheating bitch anyway

Social source share

A friend of mine gave her husbands records a coat of varnish when they split up, didn't play very well but they had a lovely gloss to them. :huh::D

:lol::lol: Anyone I know Crumb? That's one you aint told me! lol x

Social source share

1 Rolls Royce

1 Bentley

1 Aston Martin

1 Ferrari

6 Range Rovers

2 Porsche

1 Jaguar

5 Mercedes

Numerous BMWs and Alfas.

Me, I have a Vectra :lol: but the best soul record collection :lol: ( well, I hope I do!)

Julian

Posh fooker eh! :thumbup:

Where do you live then?

Social source share

1 Rolls Royce

1 Bentley

1 Aston Martin

1 Ferrari

6 Range Rovers

2 Porsche

1 Jaguar

5 Mercedes

Numerous BMWs and Alfas.

Me, I have a Vectra :lol: but the best soul record collection :thumbup: ( well, I hope I do!)

Julian

Hello Julian,

All of those cars have been reported stolen recently. Can you explain how they ended up in your street???

:lol:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert