Ralph Soul Jackson On Rajac

Kjw

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Much rarer than the Black Kat 45 I would say Chalky. Maybe not as rare as an original of the Sounds of Birmingham 45, though. Have heard Butch occasionally play the Rajac 45 at dances for the last few years.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Much rarer than the Black Cat 45 I would say Chalky. Maybe not as rare as an original of the Sounds of Birmingham 45, though. Have heard Butch occasionally play the Rajac 45 at dances for the last few years.

Not certain but Butch may have got it from Andy, Andy got a few copies from Ralph, all disappeared into collections now though.

It was 4 or 500 then but not as well known as Set Me Free, although I think it's a better record. Should sell for as much as Set Me Free by rights.

Social source share

Rarer and better record, I agree. One of the things I took a travel to Lifeline for last year to pick it up...Butch by then had not a copy but soon got one too. On every single paylist of mine since then, great 45 ! A lot of people are looking for a copy now but too rare it is :)

Social source share

it just goes to show what a few plays from the right djs can do for a record. three years ago it would have probably cost 30 quid although never easy to find.tis a top tune tho :D

dave

it was sold for 400 quid before the right dj's gave it some turntable action.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Rarer and better record, I agree. One of the things I took a travel to Lifeline for last year to pick it up...Butch by then had not a copy but soon got one too. On every single paylist of mine since then, great 45 ! A lot of people are looking for a copy now but too rare it is :D

think you'll find you all got them at around the same time Marc :D

Social source share

it just goes to show what a few plays from the right djs can do for a record. three years ago it would have probably cost 30 quid although never easy to find.tis a top tune tho :D

dave

It's priced at £30 in JM guide - not sure where that valuation came from

I always expected it to be worth a lot more than that having never come across a copy for sale

Social source share

It's priced at £30 in JM guide - not sure where that valuation came from

I always expected it to be worth a lot more than that having never come across a copy for sale

its possible that john had a copy for £30 at one time. his guides are made up from his database. could have been years

ago tho. andy d would probably have had one of his own before he got a few copies from ralph. he always had loads of

things like this at home to fall back on. i used to be a regular visitor til the wife banned me. :thumbsup: .

dave

Social source share

I don't think there's no mention of it being him in the biography his manager gave us or the discography when he was going to come over here a few years ago. Will dig it out and double check.

I had a listen to it last night and can't decide..... did see a discopgraphy on the net saying its him but you can't believe all you read.

did he have a son who may have sang on this ?

Social source share

No it's his son.

Ralph Soul jackson on Rajac also an old Plinston spin for me. I always thought it had legs but it never really took off with the dancers.

I'm quite certain it's Ralph, who by the way, is a Junior himself. Why do folks think it's his son?

Social source share

I'm quite certain it's Ralph, who by the way, is a Junior himself. Why do folks think it's his son?

John Anderson knows him, and he confirmed it's his son. John told me this when he sold me the Ralph Jackson on the Rajac label.....and I remember saying at the time "oh I got one by Jr Jacksonon the same label"....."Yeah that's his son" came the reply.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

John Anderson knows him, and he confirmed it's his son. John told me this when he sold me the Ralph Jackson on the Rajac label.....and I remember saying at the time "oh I got one by Jr Jacksonon the same label"....."Yeah that's his son" came the reply.

I have the utmost respect for John Anderson, but in this case he is mistaken or the story has become mixed up along the way. I just spoke to Ralph. The tracks for the Rajac 45s were cut with Skip McQuinn in Nashville (Skip, by the way, was also the drummer in Johnny Barfield & the Men from S.O.U.L.) and then the vocals were recorded at Sound of Birmingham. Ralph said that he used Junior Jackson just to "mix things up". But it is most certainly Ralph's voice on that record.

Social source share

I have the utmost respect for John Anderson, but in this case he is mistaken or the story has become mixed up along the way. I just spoke to Ralph. The tracks for the Rajac 45s were cut with Skip McQuinn in Nashville (Skip, by the way, was also the drummer in Johnny Barfield & the Men from S.O.U.L.) and then the vocals were recorded at Sound of Birmingham. Ralph said that he used Junior Jackson just to "mix things up". But it is most certainly Ralph's voice on that record.

good stuff. Happy to have my doubts proved wrong.

my copy is in the post :thumbsup: looking forward to listening to the vinyl instead of an mp3 on internet.

Social source share

Oooo wow!

Social source share

Quite right i can confirm this,infact think i gave ralph a copy of the junior 45,like so many of these artists he had little or nothing from his past recording years,he lost nearly everything in a house fire some years ago.he's had more woman than you can shake a stick at so who knows one of his off spring may have done somehing...

i kept a handfull of the junior 45 better wait till it's as expensive as the " leave" 45 before i sell em ! nah it's a lot more common than the other one one.infact you'll find you've more chance of finding a combinations on kimtone than the rarer rajac 45 !

quick story,last year when staying with the artists,hitson,roscoe robinson and ralph i told ralph what it was worth roughly - within 2 seconds he was ringing a old girlfriend from the time he released it and gave it her as a gift.talk about excitement ,she answered the fone unbelievably -what started off a nice calm call fruated into a you find it and send it to me...next call was to united pressing who he tried convincing the original plate stampers were his property and they must send em to him so he could repress,his credit ran out half way through the call !

about a hour afterwards when he calmed down and said how'dya like the states so i spent 15 minutes how i liked it medium with mushrooms etc.. he siad what you been on - i thought he'd said how dya like your steaks...it took his mind off rajac for a while...a great guy with a lot of musical talent to this day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Quite right i can confirm this,infact think i gave ralph a copy of the junior 45,like so many of these artists he had little or nothing from his past recording years,he lost nearly everything in a house fire some years ago.he's had more woman than you can shake a stick at so who knows one of his off spring may have done somehing...

i kept a handfull of the junior 45 better wait till it's as expensive as the " leave" 45 before i sell em ! nah it's a lot more common than the other one one.infact you'll find you've more chance of finding a combinations on kimtone than the rarer rajac 45 !

quick story,last year when staying with the artists,hitson,roscoe robinson and ralph i told ralph what it was worth roughly - within 2 seconds he was ringing a old girlfriend from the time he released it and gave it her as a gift.talk about excitement ,she answered the fone unbelievably -what started off a nice calm call fruated into a you find it and send it to me...next call was to united pressing who he tried convincing the original plate stampers were his property and they must send em to him so he could repress,his credit ran out half way through the call !

about a hour afterwards when he calmed down and said how'dya like the states so i spent 15 minutes how i liked it medium with mushrooms etc.. he siad what you been on - i thought he'd said how dya like your steaks...it took his mind off rajac for a while...a great guy with a lot of musical talent to this day.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that story. Made my day. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert