Respect Yourself - The Stax Story

Don't you just love it when the BBC show some quality programmes here's one which is highlighted as Pick Of the Day- A night dedicated to the legendary Stax record company. Established in Memphis by white counrty fiddle player, Jim Stewart, the label became synonymous with rythm and blues, soul and funk and featured a roster of African-American stars, including Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes. This documentary tells the story of the label, with contributions from the likes of, er, Bono, and is followed by a concert film of the 1967 Stax tour in Norway. Otis is here, plus Booker T, Sam and dave, the Mar-Keys and Eddie Floyd. Quiet a good night.

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bernadette

brilliant...wasnt planning anything tonight so thats me sorted thumbsup.gif

yep a night in watching the goggle box with a few beers...perfect wink.gif

Social source share

think right in saying the "respect yourself" is same as us pbs programme that has also been out on dvd

aint seen it myself so ask anyone views on it ?

mike

I believe it is Mike. Somebody sent me it whilst I was in Kosovo and the documentary is well worth a watch - although Rob Bowman's book covers it all and more. We did try to put the concert on as background to one 'doo' we had out there, but the Swede's we worked with kept canning the screen and hurling abuse at the Norwegian crowd. Gave it up as a bad job in the end and never got round to watching it. :lol:

As I say, the documentary ain't bad at all. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Get Sky+ in, record it, and get youself down to A Taste Of Honey at the King's Arms in Salford

The Friday before Payday?? Id come but you cant pay for admission and beers with lint and half a Hubba Bubba :ohmy:

Social source share

probably been posted on here already but browsing through my maily dail to see what i can fall asleep to tonight and hey bbc 4 at 9pm tonight the stax story followed by the stax/volt tour of norway in 1967 :rolleyes:rolleyes.gif:lol: i cannot remember watching these before so its sleep until 9pm then watch these two progs, :lol::lol::yes::yes:

Social source share

WHAT AN INSIGHT TO THE GREATEST SOUL LOGO EVER WITH AMAZING INTERVIEWS AND FANTASTIC SHOTS OF THE STARS IN FULL FLIGHT,STAX WAS A TOTAL BRAND OF AWARENESS FOR BLACK AMERICA THERE DID NOT JUST MAKE THE BEST RECORDS BUT PUSHED THE BOUNDRIES THE REV JACKSON ENDORSING THE LOGO AND SPEAKING AT WATTS/STAX CONCERT WAS PRICELESS.A BRILLAINT INSIGHT.

BAZ A :lol:

Social source share

WHAT AN INSIGHT TO THE GREATEST SOUL LOGO EVER WITH AMAZING INTERVIEWS AND FANTASTIC SHOTS OF THE STARS IN FULL FLIGHT,STAX WAS A TOTAL BRAND OF AWARENESS FOR BLACK AMERICA THERE DID NOT JUST MAKE THE BEST RECORDS BUT PUSHED THE BOUNDRIES THE REV JACKSON ENDORSING THE LOGO AND SPEAKING AT WATTS/STAX CONCERT WAS PRICELESS.A BRILLAINT INSIGHT.

BAZ A :lol:

Made my first visit to STAX last month Baz with Kev Briscoe and Tats. A treat I'd promised myself for a long while.

An absolute MUST for everyone, I'm sure you'd agree, especially if you can do the tour with Wayne Jackson himself as we were able to do!

Superb!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Doris

I have just watched it

and it was very good

Very informative and very sad in parts

Plus some fantastic footage

The booker T "time is tight" clip especially

awesome concert !!!! took the sting outta having to stay in tonight

Doris

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Great documentary...thoroughly enjoyed it...highlights for me were...

Sam & Daves performance of You Don't Know Like I Know

The Staple Singers...always been into my gospel...Wade in the Water being a particular fave..

And of course Isaac Hayes...the intro to Walk On By has always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...one of the best introductions to a piece of music ever IMO

Social source share

think right in saying the "respect yourself" is same as us pbs programme that has also been out on dvd

aint seen it myself so ask anyone views on it ?

mike

Mike it's definitely not the same program as the documentary "The Soul Of Stax" that everyone must have seen by now. Some of the same shots are used (William Bell accompanied by piano for instance) but it's 95% different footage.

Social source share

Mike it's definitely not the same program as the documentary "The Soul Of Stax" that everyone must have seen by now. Some of the same shots are used (William Bell accompanied by piano for instance) but it's 95% different footage.

yep thought it wasnt that one, but wasnt sure if was the us pbs tv one which think come out a few years ago or if a "new" one

seems was the us pbs one

interesting as may be few others that have sort of slipped under the radar.. maybe ?

as posted in other thread its getting re-run in next few days - timings/dates are on the news article post on front of site (link in first post to this)

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Oh, you`re not one of those `modern 21st century people` that get paid monthly are you?

I`m an ancient druid from the north who gets paid weekly! :yes:

Haha yeah im on a salary...no actually...that was meant to read celery...because thats all I can afford at the moment...anyone got any salad cream? :thumbup:

Social source share

Made my first visit to STAX last month Baz with Kev Briscoe and Tats. A treat I'd promised myself for a long while.

An absolute MUST for everyone, I'm sure you'd agree, especially if you can do the tour with Wayne Jackson himself as we were able to do!

Superb!

:wave:

Sean

Next year i think Sean,will pm you near the time or give you a buzz mate,looking forward to Memphis in general also,really fancy the us this year Nov probably If I can swing it with the Mrs.By the way what was Muscle Sholes like Sean?

Baz A.

Social source share

Superb!

:wave:

Sean

Next year i think Sean,will pm you near the time or give you a buzz mate,looking forward to Memphis in general also,really fancy the us this year Nov probably If I can swing it with the Mrs.By the way what was Muscle Sholes like Sean?

Baz A.

Baz, I choke up mate just thinking about it.

We went to Fame, got the full tour from Rick Hall's wife and his P.A.

Me and the lads were left to play in the studio for hours.

Just soaking it up. All that had gone before.

Unbelievable!

Then we found Muscle Shoals Sound - 3614 Jackson Highway (Me and Tats outside the building on my Avatar).

Almost died in there.

The guy that lives in the basement gave us the whole nine yards.

Staple Singers - Annette Snell - Womack etc. etc. etc.

We stood in the studio and just welled up. Serious.

All agreed we've never shed as many tears as we did that trip.

Three fat, bald, old men crying like babies.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Certainly one of the top ten things to do before you die!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Unbelievable!

Then we found Muscle Shoals Sound - 3614 Jackson Highway (Me and Tats outside the building on my Avatar).

Almost died in there.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Brilliant,normal people vist the Falls and the Grand Canyon lol,sounds incredible will definetly be done within the next couple of years,sounds like this trip was incredible did you get to any sunday morning services to round it all off?Most studios in philly ,detroit and chi-city have gone but the Stax cultural heritage remains,to me that says it all Sean as quality always stands the test of time imho.

BAZ A

Social source share

Arthur Conley's energy blew it up, Sam & Dave were simply inspirational (a great shot of their feet working in unison goosebumped me up).

I thought Otis struggled early doors if I'm honest but worked through it, a fantastic hidden snapshot all the same, loved it.

Social source share

Unbelievable!

Almost died in there.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Mmmm. The trip sounded fantastic but I could probably leave the 'three fat, bald, old men crying like babies' bit out! :lol:

That was a great programme by the way. It's 20 odd years since I've been in Memphis and things have certainly moved on since then. It's great that they're finally acknowledging the musical heritage of the city. Long overdue..........

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Mmmm. The trip sounded fantastic but I could probably leave the 'three fat, bald, old men crying like babies' bit out! :thumbsup:

Ian D :lol:

It wouldn't have affected you like that Ian, cos not only are you tall dark and handsome...

...you're also more of a DISCO bunny than a Soul fan. :lol:

tongue.gif

Sean

Social source share

Great bit of TV. Its amazing how its only later that you find out what was going on at these record labls with all the politics and back stabbing.(Any body gone through the unissued tapes if they still exist?)

Motown followed a similar story.

Lets hope someone starts a series of all the soul inclined labels to highlight the rise and fall etc.

Ed

Social source share

Brilliant,normal people vist the Falls and the Grand Canyon lol,sounds incredible will definetly be done within the next couple of years,sounds like this trip was incredible did you get to any sunday morning services to round it all off?Most studios in philly ,detroit and chi-city have gone but the Stax cultural heritage remains,to me that says it all Sean as quality always stands the test of time imho.

BAZ A

Nah mate, already done the Falls, Canyon and all that mularky... this was a three man Road Trip... No wives, No baggage, Big Car... hit the road thing. Visited over 50 record joints an thrift stores and many of our fave studios across Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.

Spent a full day with Wayne Jackson (Memphis Horns) who took us VIP style through STAX and around Memphis visiting Hi / Royal Studios, whats left of American etc.

Saw the Masqueraders and James Govan on Beale Street, both just incredible.

Knowing you, you'd love it Baz.

Sean

Social source share

merged both threads in media

if missed both programmes are getting shown again in next few days

the news article on front page has timings and that

It's repeated tonight on bbc4 at 11.15pm, with the tour concert on afterwards at 1.10am.

Willie

Social source share

Nah mate, already done the Falls, Canyon and all that mularky... this was a three man Road Trip... No wives, No baggage, Big Car... hit the road thing. Visited over 50 record joints an thrift stores and many of our fave studios across Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.

Spent a full day with Wayne Jackson (Memphis Horns) who took us VIP style through STAX and around Memphis visiting Hi / Royal Studios, whats left of American etc.

Saw the Masqueraders and James Govan on Beale Street, both just incredible.

Knowing you, you'd love it Baz.

Sean

OH james Govan was just spinning uphill climb the other night,briliant,now word has it that Lee Jones is now a truck driver in Texas? I wonder how many of the logos stars stayed around the area ,wonder if Mavis Staples does church on Sunday?How many gold discs on the wall?Its gonna be a long thread this LOL.

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Social source share

Great bit of TV. Its amazing how its only later that you find out what was going on at these record labls with all the politics and back stabbing.(Any body gone through the unissued tapes if they still exist?)

Motown followed a similar story.

Lets hope someone starts a series of all the soul inclined labels to highlight the rise and fall etc.

Ed

Ace has done virtually all the tape research, that's where Otis' Loving By The Pound, Carla Thomas' I'll Never Stop Loving You and Johnnie Taylor's Please Let Me In etc came from. Some are on Kent and others on Stax. We don't have the exclusive European licensing deal directly any more and some are now deleted but have kept several alive by re-licensing.

Social source share

OH james Govan was just spinning uphill climb the other night,briliant,now word has it that Lee Jones is now a truck driver in Texas? I wonder how many of the logos stars stayed around the area ,wonder if Mavis Staples does church on Sunday?How many gold discs on the wall?Its gonna be a long thread this LOL.

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Yes, the guys confirmed that Lee Jones is out in Dallas, Texas.

They'd come out to Memphis to record for Chips Moman and hung around. They perform in a Ribs joint, two nights a week, two shows a night - Free Admission to diners!

NEVER seen a show quite like it. Up close, almost on the stage, tucking into Ribs & Beer with these guys belting it out right in front of our noses.

The real surprise was how Foooooking incredible Sam Hutchins is! Just literally blew me away! One of the best performers I've ever seen - Up there with Womack and Otis Clay (and I kid you not).

They even did "Do You Love Me Baby" just for us!

Priceless.

Sean

Social source share

An interesting documentary, and I'm glad that it was made and shown, but if I could nit-pick a bit I would say that it didn't concentrate enough on the most important aspect of the label: the music itself.

I would have loved more detail about the studio processes and the journey the musicians went on to basically redefine the sound of rhythm & blues: Steve Cropper and Booker T Jones, to name but two, were hugely influential musicians, but not enough attention was drawn to the fact. Cropper, in particular, seemed to be relegated to the role of talking about the various travails and internal politics of the label as a kind of bemused onlooker.

The following live concert form Norway was fascinating: I'd love to see the footage they didn't show, as it would have been terriffic to hear Arthur Conley tackling a ballad, or Eddie Floyd performing material other than Raise Your Hand (wonderful as that was.) The highlight for me was definitely Sam & Dave: simply mesmeric and truly mind-blowing. I don't want to be unkind to the memory of Otis Redding, but it must have been a struggle for him to follow the dynamic duo night after night.

I must stress these are minor quibbles and as I mention above we are fortunate that a major channel can find space in the schedules at weekend prime-time to broadcast programmes on this subject matter.

soul on,

gareth

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert