A Question Of Earnings

Guest Beeks

• Replies 133
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How many replies is that? From someone who at the top of the thread reckoned it didn't warrant one, just curious,

Hey Pete60 the guy is asking about funding the phenomenal prices of records as you see there are plenty of cheap offers to be picked up.

I think it's a very personal question and not one to warrant an answer, we don't ask you what you spend your money on.

What are you saying? What has this got to do with what I said before.

Are you suggesting I was knocking the topic of this thread that's my opinion and my business what have you added to it.

Social source share

if you have a nice smile, long legs and fantastic bristols you can generally get records cheaper than your average joe...

and if you have a partner that loves you, they give you lots of spending money to play with

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I've bought tons i don't like, but they sounded ace the previous night through those head phones, :)

:D

I've got home from nighters, opened my bag to find several records & an empty purse! :P

Social source share

Getting back to the bit about its rare expensive and its crap.

Well if you have had all the big ticket records you get bored with them so natural progression will lead you on to the rare exotic stuff that you never see in boxes for sale. Huummm nice.

I can see the logic here.

I wouldn't say you need to have had the big ticket records though just heard them lots and lots over a number of years so when you spend you want something different. Not something you know inside out.

Social source share

I can see the logic here.

I wouldn't say you need to have had the big ticket records though just heard them lots and lots over a number of years so when you spend you want something different. Not something you know inside out.

Hearing them out and getting a copy IMO are to very different things, you get 2 minuets to dance, listen, finish your drink and have a chat but when you get a record you have not had on a tape or CD then its a brand new learning curve, do you like it? getting to know the lyrics, the sound and yes after a while inside out..

My record box is full of Holy Grails I wonder if anybody has had every Northern record ever, JM is my first contender for that prize.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

You have to remember I come from a soul background being into stuff like Bobby Womack...Curtis Mayfield...Al Green...Minnie Ripperton...pretty mainstream soul...so im always going to like the more Northern stuff which leans towards that...

Seems to me Beeks you've already been to the Mountain Top.

It's pretty much all downhill from Womack, Mayfield & Green IMO... but you'll have a lot of fun (and still come across some blinding records) finding that out for yourself!

CD is on its way.

:g:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Seems to me Beeks you've already been to the Mountain Top.

It's pretty much all downhill from Womack, Mayfield & Green IMO... but you'll have a lot of fun (and still come across some blinding records) finding that out for yourself!

CD is on its way.

:g:

Sean

Cheers Sean...look forward to hearing it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Credit cards.....that's the only reason that records are so expensive in my humble opinion....that's my downfall any road. :thumbup:

Valid point I reckon. When I started collecting I didn't have a credit card. (Not many did! :g: ) Over the years, I've managed to keep my family finances and my vinyl fund separate. NEVER bought a 45 on a credit card. Can see how that could lead to some disastrous 'deaf and dumb' dinners at home though! :rolleyes:

I think credit cards and the influx of people who have returned to collecting and want to DJ are two of the main catalysts for the high prices of averagely rare 45s over the last decade or so. With the credit crunch about to bite big time in the next 2 years, maybe we'll see the bubble burst? Can't see why vinyl collecting should be any different from other parts of the economy.

Social source share

Just a Question on something thats been puzzling me for awhile...

As a record collector the most ive ever paid for a record is £150...and I baulked at that to be honest...but in the Northern Soul scene thats an average price...

So my question is...how the hell do you all afford to spend between £100-5000 on a record?!?

You are mostly older and therefore must have families to support so I just dont get where the income comes from...

Are you all Drug Dealers?

Im on a very decent wage in my job and have no debt or baggage but I would still find it impossible to come up with that kind of cash on a regular basis...

So unless you are premiership footballers and noone told me...how do you raise the cash?

Do you all buy and sell the records? Did you have some gems bought cheap from back in the day and just trade them to buy others?

Id be very interested to know :g:

I used to think that back in 1978 when my mates were buying £30 records like Interplay/Ever Again/Stubborn Heart.

It was more than a weeks wages.

The truth is that there are collectors and then COLLECTORS, and always have been and always will be. You cant put a price limit on the record you really want, its just worth what you can pay.

If your limit is £150, you are on the outside looking in. The best collections must be worth over £2 to £3 million, so get some overtime in, look for promotion, buy the lottery, become a promoter, run a soul web site, or find another way to get that kind of dosh.

Otherwise, wait for the price crash, like a lot of folks did in the 80's and clean up.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Beeks

so get some overtime in, look for promotion, buy the lottery, become a promoter, run a soul web site, or find another way to get that kind of dosh.

Haha...you've obviously never been a club promoter Ed...trust me its not as glamorous as it sounds :)

Social source share

Hi

No, your right, Ive not been a soul event promoter, but there are so many these days, it must pay well. :)

I heard that Steve 'interesting' Davis is a big time Northern Soul collector, so maybe you have to pick up the cue and start potting those balls.

Seriously, there are some rich guys about who have been into collecting for years and will pay the asking price for those elusive rarities like Don Gardner and Billy Woods etc.

Its part of the make up of the origins of the scene. Im told rare Reggae discs go for even more money than Northern Soul.

Back in the 70s, it was common to hear the term 'Northern Soul Freak' from guys outside the scene about guys in the scene, because to say its a way of life is an understatement for quite a few.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Hi

No, your right, Ive not been a soul event promoter, but there are so many these days, it must pay well. :)

I heard that Steve 'interesting' Davis is a big time Northern Soul collector, so maybe you have to pick up the cue and start potting those balls.

Seriously, there are some rich guys about who have been into collecting for years and will pay the asking price for those elusive rarities like Don Gardner and Billy Woods etc.

Its part of the make up of the origins of the scene. Im told rare Reggae discs go for even more money than Northern Soul.

Back in the 70s, it was common to hear the term 'Northern Soul Freak' from guys outside the scene about guys in the scene, because to say its a way of life is an understatement for quite a few.

Ed

Not sure about the Northern Soul scene...but when I was promoting my soul/reggae nights there was not much money in it...mainly done it for the love...suppose it might be different in the Northern scene because I bet promoters dont pay half as much money for the DJS...I had some big names at my nights though I had to pay for them...take into account stuff like accomodation for them...taking them out to dinner...riders...the security...the promotion costs...the venue hire etc etc...and there is not much more to play with...its a thankless job and you have to be dedicated....but making enough money to buy 5k records??

Nope :lol:

Social source share

Not sure about the Northern Soul scene...but when I was promoting my soul/reggae nights there was not much money in it...mainly done it for the love...suppose it might be different in the Northern scene because I bet promoters dont pay half as much money for the DJS...I had some big names at my nights though I had to pay for them...take into account stuff like accomodation for them...taking them out to dinner...riders...the security...the promotion costs...the venue hire etc etc...and there is not much more to play with...its a thankless job and you have to be dedicated....but making enough money to buy 5k records??

Nope :thumbsup:

I can think of a very small number of Northern soul promotors who probably have managed this but on the whole I bet it's no different. A few promotors will make nice money whilst their venue has it's 'heyday' but generally I bet they've already had to invest quite a bit into it in the first place.

Jayne.

Social source share

when i left school i was lucky to get on a yop !...those a bit older had apprenticeships which led to skills and are now earning decent wages add to that they probably bought there house years ago when you didnt need to borrow 6 times your wage to get on the ladder ...and have paid up the mortgages...kids have grown up and so have money to spend which is the same reason scooters are now going for silly money compared to anytime before....

but as others have said you dont have to spend big bucks to get great tunes lots of originals for under £50....and then there are times when ladyluck shines on you and you get tunes from people who dont know what they have ....get the manship guides priceless !!

Social source share

Just a Question on something thats been puzzling me for awhile...

As a record collector the most ive ever paid for a record is £150...and I baulked at that to be honest...but in the Northern Soul scene thats an average price...

So my question is...how the hell do you all afford to spend between £100-5000 on a record?!?

You are mostly older and therefore must have families to support so I just dont get where the income comes from...

Are you all Drug Dealers?

Im on a very decent wage in my job and have no debt or baggage but I would still find it impossible to come up with that kind of cash on a regular basis...

So unless you are premiership footballers and noone told me...how do you raise the cash?

Do you all buy and sell the records? Did you have some gems bought cheap from back in the day and just trade them to buy others?

Id be very interested to know :ohmy:

My tuppence worth:

I buy and sell records to buy records, I've always kept my personal finances and my record buying seperate otherwise its a slippery slope.

There are only a few people buying records for 1000's and these generally fall into three categories:

- Those with loads of wonga who can afford to;

- those with loads of records who rarely buy these days but occassionally add to their collection a genuinely rare record, sometimes funding the purchase by selling from their vast collection;

- and finally those that want the world yesterday and will put themselves into financial peril to get it.

After ten years of buying and selling records (which is only a short time in the scheme of things Northern Soul) I take the view that records will come to me eventually. So when stuff comes up and I can afford it I buy it. Patience is the key, there are thousands of records to go at so there is always something worth having.

As for your House records - bung em in the loft and wait 15 - 20 years for the revival. All your contemporaries will have loads of dosh and start buying records again at vastly inflated prices :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain.... my queen collection (that I worked hard to get) is worth f'k all.

Maybe your dance records will have their day in ten years or so.. if they're rare enough and enough people try to re-ignite the scene...

Jayne.

House music is different ! Re-mix the best bits from your old 12 inch vinyls update and re-release them. Making the classic old house sound dated !

House music is about using the latest technology and the new noises that that technology can create IMVHO !

Your old defected 12 inches will always be worth feck all !

its very clinical IMO !

Its not about a revival of the house / dance scene - as house music is still the the up to the minute club sound where ever you go !

its just constantly updated on a weekly basis !

See you in Space in 2 weeks !!! :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

House music is different ! Re-mix the best bits from your old 12 inch vinyls update and re-release them. Making the classic old house sound dated !

House music is about using the latest technology and the new noises that that technology can create IMVHO !

Your old defected 12 inches will always be worth feck all !

its very clinical IMO !

Its not about a revival of the house / dance scene - as house music is still the the up to the minute club sound where ever you go !

its just constantly updated on a weekly basis !

See you in Space in 2 weeks !!! thumbsup.gif

I reckon your right on the above, but you never know, there might be an old skool

nostalgic element, House 'oldies' nights et al, where they dont want all of the above and they just want to hear what was around in the 80's - thru now...

there might be a market for it... (yeh, I can't see it either..lol)

Jayne.x. :D

Social source share

Guest posstot

The answer is to buy for yourself, and not too keep up with the big spenders. All i do is hunt on t'internet and some sales sites in the u.s and europe for that matter. And find it amazing the amount of stuff that is pure quality. And most of it at very cheap rates...(did get stung on one though..clara hardy anyone :wicked: )

Just recently bought 60-odd tunes and a few albums off one guy adding up to 200 squid. Going off the sales guides about 20 of them add up to 300 squid so 40 of them are clear earnings, if i sell them all one day :unsure: . whats' nice though is 10 of them are sheer punts on artists or arranger and producer etc...could all be poo, could be a real find in there.

My mate Steve(longy) was talkin to a d.j who had one of only two known copies in the uk on a us rarity and ended up paying 98 c for his copy.... its where you look and what you like, not how rare it is and how much its worth....As we have learned since the interwebthinkymajig there are still thousands of vinyls' out there just waiting to be found, and not just in the u.s. Some of the european issues are really nice and usually accompanied by a lovely picture sleeve.

anyway, happy hunting beeks......Mike

Social source share

Guest kev such

and so is a few of my mates , and the've got brilliant records

Tend to stuff any disposable £'s i have into a manilla envelope and when a tune comes up i want i dip into the envelope. S'pose the bonus of being self-employed is the beauty of that little bit extra to put away.

Kev

Social source share

Guest kev such

dont forget the tenner you owe me mr such

Already withdrawn from the holding fund of manilla mate. Will settle with you at the Alldayer tomorrow.

When was the last time you used that ladder you lent me today mate? The blooming thing was all backwards and was a right arse to put up. Still mamanged it in the end. Job done and more in the fund. Also glad we didnt spend any more time chatting to that geezer in the breakfast bar this morning, i dont think i've ever wanted to get back to work quicker in my life.

See you tomorrow.

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert