Dionne Warwick Tune

Does anyone on here know of a Dionne Warwick track from the album, 'Track of the cat' called 'Once you hit the road'?

I recommend that you have a listen if not, it is an amazing modern soul mid tempo dancer.

I don't think it ever made it as a single. it should have done really. I think it is on the Warner brothers label without digging it out to have a look.

Let me know what you think and if you've heard it or not. I have a sneaky feeling that it was played at the Mecca once or twice. This has the potential of being a monster modern track.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well, it still got to number 10 on the US Billboard Soul charts in 1975, so it was by no means a "non hit".

Wow! it did do a lot better than I thought then. Does anyone know if it was played out anywhere in the 70s-80s,? I remember buyin the album cos it had that track on it after I'd heard it somewhere.

Social source share

Wow! it did do a lot better than I thought then. Does anyone know if it was played out anywhere in the 70s-80s,? I remember buyin the album cos it had that track on it after I'd heard it somewhere.

Steve,

Yes it has had the odd play here and there over the years - I picked up on it around the late 70's after hearing it on a tape from John Manship - lovely tune it is and still sounds great! :D

I have the LP plus a UK Warner Bros white demo of it.

Mind you... someone on here has it on an acetate.. which isn't Warner Brothers but something else if I recall correctly(?) Is that right Sean? :D

Also I have to give a mention to another of her Warner Bros 45s called "You're gonna need me" which is the flip side to her also worthy "I'm just being myself" (But it's not on the flip of the UK release)

Social source share

Steve,

Yes it has had the odd play here and there over the years - I picked up on it around the late 70's after hearing it on a tape from John Manship - lovely tune it is and still sounds great! :P

I have the LP plus a UK Warner Bros white demo of it.

Mind you... someone on here has it on an acetate.. which isn't Warner Brothers but something else if I recall correctly(?) Is that right Sean? :)

Also I have to give a mention to another of her Warner Bros 45s called "You're gonna need me" which is the flip side to her also worthy "I'm just being myself" (But it's not on the flip of the UK release)

its on manships at £15 sounds like it was written by whoever did all those spinners tunes in the 70s a la ive gotta make it on my own

kev

Social source share

Fantastic tune i bought it as a new release on UK Warner Brothers, Track of the cat is also a brilliant tune.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get it more popular on the dance floors but we seem to have this reluctance to allow ourselves to get behind records that are brilliant but unfortunatly not in the slightest bit rare but you get a record that is dog rare and sh**e that gets everyone talking and dancing to, it totally baffles me.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Fantastic tune i bought it as a new release on UK Warner Brothers, Track of the cat is also a brilliant tune.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get it more popular on the dance floors but we seem to have this reluctance to allow ourselves to get behind records that are brilliant but unfortunatly not in the slightest bit rare but you get a record that is dog rare and sh**e that gets everyone talking and dancing to, it totally baffles me.

Regards

Alan

Yes Alan, a sad but often true fact; all too often rarity seems to be the more important factor over quality. :D

Social source share

just snaffled this on a white label demo for a couple of bucks, also i think you need love by dionne warwicke WB7669 which is also brill, detroit recording i think.how many name changes has she had more than prince i'd say.

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert