Run Like The Devil

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i think it was an English only mid-60s dancer. If anyone's got it who wrote it?

ta

Ady

Hi Ady

i have a great us version of this by the massacchusettes assembly on tomorrow

its a blue eyed soul version( sounds like embers) written by paul leka/irwin schuster

hope this helps

Best

Floyd

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Paul Leka (who wrote "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" for Steam and "You Are The One I Love" - Adams Apples) and Irwin M. Schuster, Pulisher is TM Music Ltd.

Ian D :lol:

Umm, if you'd asked me this yesterday I could have also told you that Bobby Vee's brilliant original is a Jack Nitzsche job. Came out on UK Liberty, too. Fantastic record, unlike any of the other versions mentioned here...

Social source share

Umm, if you'd asked me this yesterday I could have also told you that Bobby Vee's brilliant original is a Jack Nitzsche job. Came out on UK Liberty, too. Fantastic record, unlike any of the other versions mentioned here...

=====

kenny roberts version is fantastic northern soul

got my Pye issue in pride of place in the box

if bobby vees is better than this it must be super fantastic..- i like bobby vee too

Social source share

=====

kenny roberts version is fantastic northern soul

got my Pye issue in pride of place in the box

if bobby vees is better than this it must be super fantastic..- i like bobby vee too

Seconded, Kenny Roberts is pure Northern Soul (with emphasis on Northern and less Soul :thumbsup: ). Bobby Vee is nice, full orchestra production, but a bit cheesy and much slower than Kenny Roberts.

Social source share

Seconded, Kenny Roberts is pure Northern Soul (with emphasis on Northern and less Soul :thumbsup: ). Bobby Vee is nice, full orchestra production, but a bit cheesy and much slower than Kenny Roberts.

===

will have to have a listen - but for me anyway kennys tops!

still fetches a bit on original demo ... are issues rarer???

Social source share

Paul Leka (who wrote "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" for Steam and "You Are The One I Love" - Adams Apples) and Irwin M. Schuster, Pulisher is TM Music Ltd.

Ian D :rolleyes:

Here' a scan of the Bobby Vee LP Track listing which confirms the writers as in previous posts

post-4623-1216281735_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember the whole LP was Blue Eyed Soul - His version of "Let Nobody Love You" is worth a listen to.

The Four Tops medley on Side 2 was actually booted on a 45 by Simon Soussan as the "Detroit Shakers" , a name he used more than once or twice for "cover-up" artists (The two Capitol tracks spring to mind).

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I like Run Like The Devil by Bobby Vee . I did go looking for the Liberty 45 a while ago and can't remember if it was more than I wanted to pay, or hard to find so I settled for the LP.

Have to see if Jim will do me an mp3 of Run Like The Devil and put it up on here.

Social source share

==============

just heard bobbys version - ok at best

kenny roberts walks all over it in fact!

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Gotta remember that Bobby Vees version is just that, another version, and not a northern soul contender :D

Social source share

Here' a scan of the Bobby Vee LP Track listing which confirms the writers as in previous posts

I seem to remember the whole LP was Blue Eyed Soul - His version of "Let Nobody Love You" is worth a listen to.

The Four Tops medley on Side 2 was actually booted on a 45 by Simon Soussan as the "Detroit Shakers" , a name he used more than once or twice for "cover-up" artists (The two Capitol tracks spring to mind).

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Actually Bobby Vee's "Do What You Gotta Do" LP is one of the great blue eyed soul LP's from the sixties and his version of Let Nobody Love You is - if truth be told - in my opinion just a touch better than Virginia Blakely's rarity on Mojo. That will horrify the soul purists of course and may well inspire a rush of poison posts in this direction . His version wins out for the crystal clear production, arrangement and instrumentation.

Information on session musos and background singers doesn't appear to be instantly available. If it was recorded in LA though it probably has Darlene Love and the Blossoms singing background and probably the usual West Coast muso suspects who played on so many soul classics ...

He recorded two other also excellent LPs in '66 & '67 in a similar soul vein . Interesting thing is that in an interview he did many years later that he pretty much dismissed this period of his career as a blue eyed soul man ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Bobby's 'Look At Me Girl' is a great Northern tune, also an L.P of the same title (1967 ish) and some great stuff on that also.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert