Soul Biographies/ Auto Biographies

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Be interested in hearing if anyone can recomend and good soul biographies?

I`d love to read the biograpgy of so many soul artists...in particular Teddy Pendergrass and Jackie Wilson.

Chris

Him indoors got me the Bobby Womack one for Christmas - it's a an easy read and very funny. Most of the stories I'd probably heard before but his first hand account of being caught with Linda is quite amusing...not sure how happy I'd have been though if it was my daughter :lol: I can't imagine any soul fan not enjoying this as its full of anecdotes about the likes of Sly Stone, Sam Cooke and Ray Charles :lol:

I've got the Etta james one, picked it up from a charity shop but only just started that, I'll let you know how it goes!

Social source share

I've got the Jackie Wilson one but haven't read it yet. Got it from a second hand shop so think its been out a few years. Can give you the details if ya want

Regards

Ian

Social source share

I've got the Jackie Wilson one but haven't read it yet. Got it from a second hand shop so think its been out a few years. Can give you the details if ya want

Regards

Ian

Is it called "The Man The Music The Mob"? or "Lonely Teardrops" ?

Please do a review after reading - appreciated m8

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

I`d love to read the biograpgy of so many soul artists...in particular Teddy Pendergrass and Jackie Wilson.

Chris

Hi chris,not sure if you can still get this but it is a real eye opener,and tells a few differant sides of the story.

The title is "BERRY ME AND MOTOWN" By Raynoma Gordy Singleton.

A well recommended read,

Ady

Social source share

Hi chris,not sure if you can still get this but it is a real eye opener,and tells a few differant sides of the story.

A well recommended read,

Ady

An interesting read - in parts - is Berry Gordy's autobiography, " To Be Loved " ...........

The interesting parts of the book are in respect of , and concerning , the early days and development of Motown , but otherwise it is a very much " Me , Me , Me " , and is often sickly in parts .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I,ve got the man the music and the mob one by Tony Douglas. was released in 2001 and the ISBN no is 1840184132.

Hope thats of some use

regards

Ian

Social source share

Damn good read.Explains a lot about the culture at the time and leaves you wondering where soul music would have been with or without the 'helping hand' provided by the Italian connection.

Oh and by the way that Jackie Wilson was one of the lads!!

Paul

Social source share

Damn good read.Explains a lot about the culture at the time and leaves you wondering where soul music would have been with or without the 'helping hand' provided by the Italian connection.

Paul

The Jackie Wilson one you want the first issue as bit's taken out for the re-press if I remember rightly.

Social source share

I'm just reading The Ted Jarrett Story Chris, called You Can Make It If You Try. Good insight into the Nashville R&B scene and of course plenty about Ted Jarrett.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Can-Make-Try-N...3590&sr=1-2

only one left at Amazon...but if you click on the buy 14 new and used link plenty cheaper than amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1...3590&sr=1-2

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I,ve got the man the music and the mob one by Tony Douglas. was released in 2001 and the ISBN no is 1840184132.

Hope thats of some use

regards

Ian

Cheers for that m8 but really wanted an unbiased review then I can get her indoors to buy it 4 me!

Agree with Malc B regards the Berry Gordy "2B Loved"

I've read the GKnight and MGaye & GGaynor books, they are all pretty good but MG's "A Divided Soul" is really heavy in places but does show what a complex character he was.

Social source share

Paul

I've attempted to read this a couple of times since buying it a few years ago but felt it was written in "American speak" if you know what I mean and just couldn't get my head round it but think I was perhaps rather impatient to get to the soul years bit rolleyes.gif

Lenny

Social source share

I've attempted to read this a couple of times since buying it a few years ago but felt it was written in "American speak" if you know what I mean and just couldn't get my head round it but think I was perhaps rather impatient to get to the soul years bit rolleyes.gif

Lenny

Have to agree Lenny, it was fairly poorly written and a bit sensationalist. Sadly like so many of the autobiographies, they are a bit schmaltzy, the Womack and the recent Tammi Terrell were another couple that were overall a bit dissapointing, however better than none it has to be said, and I always buy them.

The best by far is the Marvin Gaye - Divided Soul, yes a bit deep but so was Marvin, and its just heartwrenching his story.

Mahalia Jackson's and John Lee Hookers are great, obviously not soul but give a huge insight into the times and the culture that created soul (appreciate it may be a surprise to some it wasn't created in a studio in deepest Wales but there you go) and also Miles Davis (can't remember which one, will add author tonight) is great for just revealing the creativity within Black American culture at that time.

All were very well written which I have to say I think is the least most of these great artists deserve.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Jackie Wilson sounds good but i have this idea of writing loads of music biographies as used for refrence but they would be short not like book length just a short one you expect to get in music books.

it would be intresting to have one written on primary Northern soul acts ie acts who have or has been a major part in Northern soul like with the amount of songs on the scene it would be intresting A - Z and not your typical music a - z book that starts with Abba and ends with ZZ Top

Social source share

Chris

Chris

I have Teddy P's biography, bought it about 8 years ago while on holiday in the States (books-a-million i think). Teddy is one of my all time favourite male vocalists.

Its called "Truly Blessed" and was written by Teddy and Patricia Romanowski, you should be able to track it down using the ISBN number, which is ISBN 0-425-17110-8

Its an absorbing read, Teddy's life was a roller coaster of incredible highs and a few lows and ultimately lead to the big turning point in his life, the car accident in 1982! Ive just dug it out after reading your post on here and am at page 42 already!

Another related Autobiography i have is Patti LaBelle's "Dont block the blessings" Written by Patti with Laura B Randolph ISBN 0-425-16998-7 Another great read that also relates the music business in Philly in the 60s and 70s.

If you have problems getting them send me a PM and i'll post them down so you can read them, believe me you need to.

Best Gaz

Social source share

A well recommended read,

Ady

That is a fantastic read Ady ISBN number 0-8092-4340-7

Chris

Another related Autobiography i have is Patti LaBelle's "Dont block the blessings" Written by Patti with Laura B Randolph ISBN 0-425-16998-7 Another great read that also relates the music business in Philly in the 60s and 70s.

Best Gaz

Once again a fantastic read Gaz
:rolleyes:

Chris I would reccomend the "Lonely Teardrops" Jackie Wilson one ISBN 1-86074-214-9 its a very detailed read (don't mention his Wigan apperance "tho )

Gonna get started on "Strength Of A Woman" soon, the Phyliss Hyman one ISBN 0-9794890-0-8

Also reccommend "A House On Fire" John A Jackson (2004) eor a great insight into the early Gamble/Huff sound

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guys, Thanks for the replies on this thread. I`m no big reader but i do like biographies so i`ll be checking out a few of these....definatly the Jackie Wilson and Teddy Pendergrass.

I have read "Divided soul" a couple of times already and i have a great Otis Redding biography i picked up cheap a couple of years ago.

Thanks again.

Chris

ps. I can recomend Smokey Robinson`s auto-biography too.

Social source share

Mentioned 2 posts ago chalky......................do pay attention :P

Cheers Paul

sorry....100 lines :lol:

I'd not read the topic for few days and just posted the link without looking. Is the link I posted the only place to buy this book? Did a quick search yesterday without much luck. Also is the second edition the same as the first minus the signature?

Social source share

sorry....100 lines
:lol:

I'd not read the topic for few days and just posted the link without looking. Is the link I posted the only place to buy this book? Did a quick search yesterday without much luck. Also is the second edition the same as the first minus the signature?

Thats where we got ours chalky, good price too
:thumbup:

Dunno "bout the 1st/2nd edition thing 'tho, sorry

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert