This Is Not A Sales Hype, Would Like Your Opion

Hi All

Had this message today about our web site (www.topdogrecords.co.uk). Haven't given the persons name as this isn't a shot at him, but a genuine request for feedback.

Ey up Dave,

No disrespect but I think your website could do with some redesign to make searching easier. Can't speak for anyone else but I find it a bit too time-consuming having to scroll through hundreds of pages to find something of interest. Its a pity because there's some cracking records hidden in there somewhere.

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Had nothing but praise for the site. You really are the first, everything is alphbetical, there is a search function by artist, lable or title. We have then sub divided by genre for those that have a particular taste. In fact our site was designed to work in a simular way to most of the other major sites, ie Manship, Craig Moerer etc, so that there is some sort of industry standard.

Plus we put every bit of stock we have on the site, no things hidden for those 'Special people', everyone has a chance at everything we have, but that does mean that we have over 8000 titles listed.

Dave

I have come to ask you guys as the site is designed to work for you, if it's not working then we need to change it. As I said above, we have had nothing but positive feed back until today, but always ready to listen, but would be helpful to get a collection of feed back so we can take the average of the comments.

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi All

Had this message today about our web site (www.topdogrecords.co.uk). Haven't given the persons name as this isn't a shot at him, but a genuine request for feedback.

Ey up Dave,

No disrespect but I think your website could do with some redesign to make searching easier. Can't speak for anyone else but I find it a bit too time-consuming having to scroll through hundreds of pages to find something of interest. Its a pity because there's some cracking records hidden in there somewhere.

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Had nothing but praise for the site. You really are the first, everything is alphbetical, there is a search function by artist, lable or title. We have then sub divided by genre for those that have a particular taste. In fact our site was designed to work in a simular way to most of the other major sites, ie Manship, Craig Moerer etc, so that there is some sort of industry standard.

Plus we put every bit of stock we have on the site, no things hidden for those 'Special people', everyone has a chance at everything we have, but that does mean that we have over 8000 titles listed.

Dave

I have come to ask you guys as the site is designed to work for you, if it's not working then we need to change it. As I said above, we have had nothing but positive feed back until today, but always ready to listen, but would be helpful to get a collection of feed back so we can take the average of the comments.

Dave

Clearly it would be good to open this up to comments about internet sites in general, not just my own.

What do you like?

What gets your goat?

Good examples?

Bad Examples?

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

Dave, can honestly say that in my opinion it's spot on! The search facility works a treat, the listings are clear and informative, the addition of sound clips is great. I really cant see a problem with it! :lol:

except....... can i have a section just for Beat Ballads, with full high qual sound clips for 'em all? :thumbup:

(only joking Dave!)

steve

Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

Looks good and professional to me Dave

only problem for me is the £ sign in front of your records,

you could'nt by any chance change it to $ :lol:

Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

Hiya Dave,

Looks easy enough to me. The only thing I would say (and it is a very minor point) is that some websites have an alphabetical search as well as the standard search so for example you could search everything on the site beginning with c for example. As I say very minor but for idiots like me who sometimes can only remember that the artist's name begins with c it would maybe help a little bit. It shouldn't be too hard to set up.

It's a great site though and I wish I hadn't looked now as seen a few things just in the five minutes I was on!!!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Looks ok to me Dave . Maybe needs a front page focus for choice items :thumbup:

Even this presents a problem, as we really do sell all over the world and what maybe of interest to say the 'French Boogie Scene' is of less interest to the UK. So the best we can do is have the 'new arrivals' for each section which does give a little focus.

Thanks for the feed back :lol:

Dave

Social source share

Even this presents a problem, as we really do sell all over the world and what maybe of interest to say the 'French Boogie Scene' is of less interest to the UK. So the best we can do is have the 'new arrivals' for each section which does give a little focus.

Thanks for the feed back :thumbup:

Dave

It's funny you should mention the French Boogie scene 'cos I recently hooked out about 150 U.S. 45's which I think would be of interest to those guys (lots of promos, lots of weedy synths etc, etc).

So I went to the site to see what records they want but there's no 80's Boogie section LOL.....

I still wanna clear 'em though if you have any regular buyers of this stuff let me know, then I can get 'em off the shelves!

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

It's funny you should mention the French Boogie scene 'cos I recently hooked out about 150 U.S. 45's which I think would be of interest to those guys (lots of promos, lots of weedy synths etc, etc).

So I went to the site to see what records they want but there's no 80's Boogie section LOL.....

I still wanna clear 'em though if you have any regular buyers of this stuff let me know, then I can get 'em off the shelves!

Ian D :thumbup:

Hi Ian

That stuff is in with the modern soul 45 section, you could sub-genre to till the end of time and still have someone say, but what about.........

Social source share

Thanks for the feed back :thumbup:

Dave

An RSS feed for New Arrivals then ?

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Clearly it would be good to open this up to comments about internet sites in general, not just my own.

What do you like?

What gets your goat?

Good examples?

Bad Examples?

Dave

This site holds it's own and too those who do not know you Dave, these unkown person's will dish out critisism (one only). Hell, I have spent hours running through pages of genre and still find TOP DOG sites within the top five sales sites. Take credit Dave and Malika, you offer great detailed information about each record with a more than "random" sound clip. A good example of a established sales dealer upgrading. :thumbup: . Thanks for being helpfull, remember buying blind off lists 30/20 years ago, which was the norm, based on the dealers hear say. :unsure: and with a no returns policy.

Thank you for the first class service you have offered us on and off the scene over the many years David.

Nick.

Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

I don't know if this is what the person commenting was referring to, but I would actually have a similar comment in that I wish I could show more record per page when browsing. Search helps you find a specific titles if you are looking for it. There are 1000s of titles I'm looking for, I like to browse through all titles on a webpage to see if there's anything of interest. If I can only see 20 titles at a time and there is a "next" button and it says "40 pages", I'm not going to spend the time doing it, scrolling and constantly clicking next over and over again. I made a comment like this to someone else about their site recently. So my comment is not specifically about the "search" function but rather just being able to browse more than one title at a time. Every day on ebay I look at all R&B 45s ending that day, I actually wish ebay showed more than 200 titles at a time, but at least 200 titles makes it way more managable than 10-20, which is what many people have on their sites. Thanks.

Social source share

I don't know if this is what the person commenting was referring to, but I would actually have a similar comment in that I wish I could show more record per page when browsing. Search helps you find a specific titles if you are looking for it. There are 1000s of titles I'm looking for, I like to browse through all titles on a webpage to see if there's anything of interest. If I can only see 20 titles at a time and there is a "next" button and it says "40 pages", I'm not going to spend the time doing it, scrolling and constantly clicking next over and over again. I made a comment like this to someone else about their site recently. So my comment is not specifically about the "search" function but rather just being able to browse more than one title at a time. Every day on ebay I look at all R&B 45s ending that day, I actually wish ebay showed more than 200 titles at a time, but at least 200 titles makes it way more managable than 10-20, which is what many people have on their sites. Thanks.

That is a really good point which I agree with 100%, it takes a matter of seconds if you're a fast bropwser to scan through 20 entries and it is a pain to have to constantly keep clicking the next button - I also prefer it when you havew the option of 100, 200 titles to scan down

Social source share

Hi

There is an option to view 25/50/100 titles at a time at the top of each page. Once you have chosen this it stays at that setting for the duration of the visit. If we put any more, due to the amount of info and features we have, it makes the page sticky and slow, but you can view a 100 at a time as an option.

I know we have alot of titles, but as I said before, we like to say 'it's all there', you won't miss out on anything because you haven't actually been round to see us. In fact a couple of 'Top DJ's'!!!!! have said why don't you keep the good stuff to one side, thats not how we work, level playing field, everyone gets a crack at the same stuff.

I know that there is alot of everyday titles there, not everyone wants the tuff stuff, you will be amazed at the number of everyday Al Green, Barry White, etc we sell.

We set out not to be an elitist site, but a site for black music lovers, as we say 'From the hard to find, to the just plain good'

Thanks everyone for your feed back, we will continue to listen and make changes where we can.

Dave & Malayka

Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

I really like the site - it was good before but now it all fits on the page it is great - easy to use with good search engine and clear headings. Definately good especially comments / detail on records.

Adam

Social source share

Like it Dave, overall.

Nice, clean, uncluttered feel.

Only minor problem, as I see it, is that the artist 'search' is only applicable to the format area that you're in at the one time - as opposed to being 'relational' across all formats.

EG: A search on 'Sam Dees' reveals 9 titles in 45's but only 1 title in LP's.

A relational database would reveal all 10 titles, so that those looking for everything by a particular artist would see all stock by that one artist in one search. Take a look at how Moerer & Manships work - e.g. try the same search (Sam Dees) from the home page on raresoulman.co.uk and it reveals two pages of material from the one artist across all formats (45's / CD's / LP's etc.).

Not a showstopper... but with a bit of tweaking where the search is across the whole site rather than in one section at a time would improve visibility (and therefore, sales) significantly (IMO).

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Dave, my first time on this site, I am am a bit of a numbskull regarding anything IT, but I found it very easy to use, very informative, sound clip's, everything is there. I clicked on the number of item's on the page, then the section I wanted and away I went, great, better than some of the one's i've used before, I will definitely use this site :thumbup: .

Willie

ps, Sean (above) has a valid point tho.

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

Dave, my first time on this site, I am am a bit of a numbskull regarding anything IT, but I found it very easy to use, very informative, sound clip's, everything is there. I clicked on the number of item's on the page, then the section I wanted and away I went, great, better than some of the one's i've used before, I will definitely use this site :thumbup: .

Willie

ps, Seun has a valid point.

Hi Willie

As I said in the title, this was not a sales pitch, but glad you liked it. Sean, see what your saying and will work on that, but might need to up grade data base to do that, we are currently working from basic Excel.

Dave

Social source share

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

Have to say it's one of the best sites I've seen. Very easy to use. Top marks from me.....

p.s. Dave. I paid by paypal, but it said that you didn't have a paypal account?

is that right?

Phil.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I find it works fine as I would expect, can only think that he's a lazy git.......it's easier than looking through a collection of 45's which are not in alphabetical order....enuff said.

KTF

Baz

Hi All

Ey up Dave,

Here was my response

Hi Mate

Dave

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert