Car Boot Sales

It used to be the old second hand shops and charity shops where an odd rare record would appear, I got a black issue Adam and Eve once upon a time for a quid, but Ive not had the pleasure of looking round the multitude of car boots that have sprung up over the last ten years or so, and was wondering if any of you lot have turned anything up worth having at them?

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It used to be the old second hand shops and charity shops where an odd rare record would appear, I got a black issue Adam and Eve once upon a time for a quid, but Ive not had the pleasure of looking round the multitude of car boots that have sprung up over the last ten years or so, and was wondering if any of you lot have turned anything up worth having at them?

Ed

I was like you back in the day, went through the second hand/junk shops looking for records.

Don,t know about paying a quid more like 5p/10p each. I did alot all traveling in my job so at dinner times check out the above shops. I had my fair share of finds. I can.t be arssed to look on car boots, think off loads off better things to do on a Sunday morning, more othen than not at a after party.

Social source share

Ed

Sue Lynn uk promo

Frankie & Johnnie uk promo

Crawdaddie simone uk mint issue

Various Motown test pressing LPs

Lamont Dozier unissued tripple LP

A fukcin' massive stack of first issue Motown LPs some company ones

Spellbinders help me uk promo

Eric Clapton on Purdah mint

I'll stop showing off now ! cause i have loads,various test press's etc etc.

All in the last 10 years.

king.gif

Social source share

Sue Lynn uk promo

Frankie & Johnnie uk promo

Crawdaddie simone uk mint issue

Various Motown test pressing LPs

Lamont Dozier unissued tripple LP

A fukcin' massive stack of first issue Motown LPs some company ones

Spellbinders help me uk promo

Eric Clapton on Purdah mint

I'll stop showing off now ! cause i have loads,various test press's etc etc.

All in the last 10 years.

:D

I think you're the man for the bootsales Ken. thumbsup.gif

I got the Timi Yuro LP with 'never be over' on it from near you, Blackhorse Road way.. Smudge got that (previously discussed https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Im-Gonn...own-t33611.html) unissued acetate from a bootsale.

Social source share

im never up early enuff.......unless i havnt gone to bed that is !! wink.gif ....

its a shame "my friend jack" the other resident at go go doesnt come on here he has stories about finding boxes of uk demos at boot sales a few years back for peanuts....all mint in company sleeves...cant see theres people out there who still dont know 60s vinyl is now worth money but you never know !

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I used to get up at 4.30am on Sundays for a Car Boot run...go round all the boot sales outside of Manchester...you had to go that early because you'd see the same familiar faces of other DJs hunting too...proper Crate Digging wink.gif

Social source share

Have had absolutely tons of records off the car boot sales over the years but things seem to have dried up a little soul wise the last couple of years as its very rare anything decent comes out on a regular basis now.

Non soul wise of the best buys I had was off a small boot sale in Warwickshire on a Sunday morning a couple of years ago on a stall that had a small box of records under the paste table which i went through and they were nearly all 1960's psychedelic acetates recorded in small obscure studios all of which were unreleased. 50p each and I had about 25 which he let me have for £10.00 the lot. I got fantastic prices for them on Ebay and I remember one in particular was a non acetate which was included was by an artist called Callum Bryce - Love maker on the obscure Condor label which fetched almost £400.00. I nearly put that one back in the box but hummed and haad and decided to have it anyway.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

my dad managed to get Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back for £1 and that to us was cheap.

found many Motown albums at car boots cheap

Social source share

my dad managed to get Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back for £1 and that to us was cheap.

found many Motown albums at car boots cheap

best recent bargain not vinyl, but I bought a project debut turntable for £10 last week... my old pioneer PL12 is a little upset though!

Lots of mid 60s UK tamla motown and Stax around for 20p, Jimmy Radcliff on Pye reissue and jimmy cliff - waterfalls for 50p each... nothing rare!

Social source share

couple of weeks ago looking through the usual boxes of crap at a boot came across a stateside red and white in good nick, jerry butler it was,

looked good from 63 I think, 10p only how can you resist that? got it home and played it, hhhmmmm, great voice, but it sure wasnt northern! some movie theme score trash

Social source share

They dont have boot sales in Canada but Flea Markets. I have just made my monthly trip to "Canada's Largest and Longest Running Flea Market" which is about 25 mins drive.

It opens in April and the first month I picked up Four Exceptions - You Got The Power - Parkway promo amongst a handful of Soul/Garage stuff - total spent $25.

Last month, again amongst a nice handful of Reggae/Garage/Soul I got Theresa Lindsey - Good Idea - Correctone - total spent $30.

This morning was a bit of a flop, bit of a storm this morning put off a lot of sellers, until I found a small Record Box and picked up a copy of Linda Griner - Goodbye Cruel Love - Canadian Tamla. I picked up 12 45's for $8!?!?

Social source share

Got a lovely Thomas The Tank Engine train set yesterday complete with a flying 'Harold The Helicopter'.

Not sound any records at a boot sale for ages now, apart from the first Aztec Camera single on Postcard the other week.

found f**k all pete not even thomas the friggin tank train set

Social source share

Guest littlemissoul

Today I got 1-2-3 Len Barry on Brunswick 50p

I never been a vinyl collector so don't know if I did any good or not maybe someone can tell me ?

LOL LMS

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Used to do the CBs some years ago. All the general household waste was up up on the pasting board tables while the records were always on the ground either in some grubby box or, worse still, without sleeves in a 'toast rack' record holder.

Got one or two half decent TMGs, but most records were absolutely sh*gged and even at 20p, not worth taking. Gave up in the end, fed up scrabbling about on my hands and knees and getting a bad back in the process!

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Year 2001 and Ive been back ointo northern for 2 years.

I go to a big car boot sale near Inverurie where I pick up from a record dealers stall a few soul records.

One of them was The multi-coulour Velvet Hammers -Happy- It had writing on it saying the name Richie Conn

I had been to one soul night at the belmont as my reintroduction to venues- and had taken a couple of oldies to Which one of the organisers Mr Conn says "I see you've brought your mothers records with you"Ha HA

Anyhow I go to the next soul night and Mr Conn AKA The gasher says to me "have you brought anymore of your mothers records with you- My answer was No But Ive brought one of yours instead! (The Velvet Hammer) Richie bursts out laughing and says he hadnt seen it for god knows how many years! Strange but true story

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

NOT A CAR BOOT, BUT MENCAP CHARITY SHOP BOUT 5 YEARS AGO, FOUND/ GIL SCOTT HERON/THE BOTTLE /STRATA EAST

THAT I SOLD IN THE LATE 70'S, KNEW IT WAS MINE COS ,MY WRITING WAS STILL ON THE WHITE CARD BOARD SLEEVE

NOW THAT'S SPOOKY ph34r.gif

Not northern I know, but I had a similar experience last year - going through a box in a charity shop, found a copy of Deodato "Peter Gunn" on MCA, remembered giving my US copy to a girl at the time and then mislaying my UK copy so thought I'd have it back in the collection; looked closely and there's my name written on it! :thumbsup:

No northern in that shop though - the manager's on the Northern scene!

Social source share

Not northern I know, but I had a similar experience last year - going through a box in a charity shop, found a copy of Deodato "Peter Gunn" on MCA, remembered giving my US copy to a girl at the time and then mislaying my UK copy so thought I'd have it back in the collection; looked closely and there's my name written on it! :thumbsup:

No northern in that shop though - the manager's on the Northern scene!

Great record that Jerry! Still my UK promo-only 12".........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I know someone who converted his garage into a record room to hold the records that he has acquired from CB's, charity shops and the like. You literally can't get through the door now - mostly albums, and 12". not necessarily northern but predominantly all Soul, maybe 2% other collectibles that he has seen. Never paid big money, and only buys good condition. He has no idea whats in there now as he's always adding to it, and never catches up with putting it in order. Never sells either.

Not saying its all good or all valuable but this guy has been on the scene since the early 70's and does have an eye, so there's gonna be loads of good stuff in there.

Someone also mentioned 'The Wurzels' - now there is a story of a wurzels 'rarity' owned a soul dj/collector and someone of the 'red' persuasion where they are inexplicably held in high esteem. Being 'gas' I cannot of course tell the story but I think he's on here so maybe he will!

Social source share

Guest john s

Can't be bothered with booters most of the time, but was pleased to pick up a few decent 50p UK bits from one earlier this year:

SA400009-5.jpg

Philip James on Island, Sugar Pie Desanto 'I don't wanna fuss', Alvin Robinson, a few nice reggae 45s and a Kinks demo.

post-12533-1216112536_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Just went out for a quick wander in the 'charity shop district' of Edinburgh - Stockbridge, if you know the city - stopped off at a couple of places to look for the usual; vintage suits, books, videos and records. And the first place I go to turns up an excellent copy of 'Long After Tonight is All Over' on Stateside for 99p. This sort of thing isn't supposed to happen any more...is it?

Social source share

My best boot fair finds (UK issues unless stated) over the past 10 years (soul and non-soul), and all for under £1 each are:

SOUL CITY: Everybody Dance Now (Cameo Parkway DEMO)

SHORTY & THEM: Pills or Love's Labour's Lost (Fontana)

VARIOUS ARTISTS: Kent Rocks (UK White Witch LP - books at £180!)

MARVIN GAYE/TAMMI TERRELL: You Ain't Livin' 'Til You're Lovin' (Tamla Motown G/W DEMO)

PRINCE BUSTER: Everybody Ska (Stateside)

FOUNDATIONS: Change My Life (Psycho)

THE PIPS: Every Beat Of My Heart (Top Rank)

DAMNED: Love Song (Dodgy Demo)

PRINCE BUSTER: Too Hot (Blue Beat)

SLADE: Know Who You Are (Polydor - books at £150!)

THE TENNORS: Sign Of The Time (JAMAICAN Down Beat white label 45)

SUPREMES: Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart (Tamla Motown)

SUPREMES: Nothing But Heartaches (Tamla Motown)

JR. WALKER: Tune Up (US Soul 45)

OTIS REDDING: Pain In My Heart (Atlantic LP - purple label)

THE WRIGGLERS: The Cooler (Giant)

There are more, but can't think of them all!

Social source share

Guest john s

Just went out for a quick wander in the 'charity shop district' of Edinburgh - Stockbridge, if you know the city - stopped off at a couple of places to look for the usual; vintage suits, books, videos and records. And the first place I go to turns up an excellent copy of 'Long After Tonight is All Over' on Stateside for 99p. This sort of thing isn't supposed to happen any more...is it?

Happens all the time if you keep at it - the more work you put in, the luckier you get!

Social source share

Happens all the time if you keep at it - the more work you put in, the luckier you get!

Oh, I keep at it! Less stuff found than when I was a student or on the dole of course, due to less free time. But I know in my heart that there's some nice old lady out there whose long-lost son left all these old singles in his bedroom and would I like to have them? "They've got these big red or greens 'A' on them!" :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert