Why Do People Run Soul Nights, Nighters Etc

Why actually do people run soul nights and all-nigters?

Is it purely to provide entertainment to like-minded folks or does the attraction of maybe making some money play a part? Or is it the fact that if you run your own do then you get a chance to DJ?

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too smile.gif

If most people claim to be putting events on for purely altruistic reasons, then would there be any valid objections to a new regular night starting in a centrally located venue with top name DJ's, top live acts that was (just like the NHS) completely free at the point of delivery, IE no admission fee whatsoever?

Before anyone asks, no I'm not planning to start one:)

Thoughts?

Phil

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is it purely to provide entertainment to like-minded folks or does the attraction of maybe making some money play a part? Or is it the fact that if you run your own do then you get a chance to DJ?

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too smile.gif

If most people claim to be putting events on for purely altruistic reasons, then would there be any valid objections to a new regular night starting in a centrally located venue with top name DJ's, top live acts that was (just like the NHS) completely free at the point of delivery, IE no admission fee whatsoever?

Thoughts?

good question...............my honest answer.................. to share our music with others.......... hopefully introduce the younger generation to the music so that we dont loose it when we have had it................... money.... not interested in making it as long as iam not out of pocket............... love DJ ing but also like to introduce new DJ's and love giving them prime spots,..... too many great DJs are wasted doing warm up spots...........

Tracey

THE 'BRIT' SOUL CLUB, NOTTM

Phil

Social source share

I guess everyone's different, Phil. Take all your points on board though.

Me and a mate are trying to get a night together in our part of the world (keep getting let down by venues) chiefly cos nobody else caters for 'our particular' approach to Soul music in our region.

It certainly won't be for the money as I'm sure there's a lot easier ways of making the 30 or 40 quid that some of these local events end up netting (if they make anything at all).

Quite fancy the idea of making it a freebie - but equipment hire and room charges might make that prohibitive.

Good post mate. Very interested in the views of others.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

PS: Bumped into Crofty recently. Not changed a bit!

Social source share

well,now then,I would run one with a strict admittance policy,

no stilettoes

no kids (unless vetted by me first)

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

no folks with bushy hair (women excluded )

for a start :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Bazza

Social source share

Guest Beeks

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

for a start :lol:

Id like to say I used to run soul nights for the love of the music...and although that was a big part (Money was definately not a reason haha) It was mainly to get laid :thumbsup:

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

I take exception to the above Bazza.

I happen to be a 15yr old cross-dresser with luxuriously bushy hair and a beard who is studying for politics and who is routinely derided by everyone for my supposedly stupid views on making sure that ONLY the right records are being played and making sure my views are ruthlessly enforced.

Why the discrimination?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Me and a mate are trying to get a night together in our part of the world (keep getting let down by venues) chiefly cos nobody else caters for 'our particular' approach to Soul music in our region.

It certainly won't be for the money as I'm sure there's a lot easier ways of making the 30 or 40 quid that some of these local events end up netting (if they make anything at all).

Quite fancy the idea of making it a freebie - but equipment hire and room charges might make that prohibitive.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Iif I were promoting these days, I'd have a punt on a freebie, or at least a cheapie. Got to be worth throwing a few grand at as an investment, as there's always a deal to be done on the bar take if numbers are attractive enough.

I've not seen Crofty for 15 years or more. If you see him again pass on my regards. I bet he's got more hair than me these days :thumbsup:

Phil

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

just you then Bazza :lol:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

I happen to be a 15yr old cross-dresser with luxuriously bushy hair and a beard who is studying for politics and who is routinely derided by everyone for my supposedly stupid views on making sure that ONLY the right records are being played and making sure my views are ruthlessly enforced.

Why the discrimination?

Ian D :lol:

PMSL! :yes::g:

Social source share

i suspect lots of reasons depending on the night and promoter.....the two runnin in bristol are being run strictly for the love of playing your tunes to like minded folk,we all know each and help each other out as we live in a bit of a soul desert...its certainly not for the little cash we make cos that doesnt even come close to the vinyl we buy....personally i buy lots more when im playing out regular....

recently getting together had a boat trip which they knew before they would actually lose money on but we all had a great night and they made up the loss at the next night i suspect but probably not any profit

go go children is in a tucked out of the way club so we do not attract twats but only those who want to come for the soul even if it does mean only just breaking even

most of the djs involved in these two nights also get work elsewhere so its not the only time we get to play

BUT

there are big nites where although they may love the music im sure people are doing it for the large amounts of cash they must make...and why not !....if you can make a living doing something you love fair play...as long as there are no dirty dealings going on towards other nights

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

for myself it was to have played the kind of playlist scotland didn't have at the time .... money definitely not a consideration as it cost us money to put it on .

gotta spread he gospel ain't ya

Social source share

Why the discrimination?

Ian D :thumbsup:

classic! :thumbsup::lol::yes:

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

Is the bushy hair thing just restricted to the head, what bout face, ears, nose, or maybe armpits or nether regions....known a few ladies with such situ, shouldnt we be trying to attract more females with open (hairless) arms to our scene

Danny (Bulgarian Womens Weightlifters Soul Club spokesperson)

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

:shades: Bazza

You may have hit the nail on the head there actually, perhaps that is the way forward.

There were/are some clubs (not northern soul as far as I know) in London that decided not to allow entry to just anyone as they found that the "wrong" people were coming and spoiling the night. As everyone pretty much knew everyone else who was like minded they made the clubs invite only.

The result was a club full of people who liked the music being played and also the other people in the club. Hey presto, good club and great atmosphere.

Just an idle thought ..

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

loaded topic could be , heres one, that really annoys the titers off me, the promoters put themselves on at the main time and the guest early :shades: fine if you are up and coming or a beginner, but for an established DJ, thats an insult, so obvious that the event they are promoting is about themselves.so the answer is that A FEW people run nites, because they cant get a spot anywhere else.but in general, the venues that I have visited mostly do it for the love of the music, and Holmes chapel is a perfect example, , run by Martyn and Kev, you never actually see there names in the lineup.

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

Gonna be a bit lonely on ya own buddy :lol: .

Russ

Social source share

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too :lol:

Thoughts?

Phil

I don't know but I'd like to thank all those that do for giving me the best nights out of my life! Thanks all!! :shades:

Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

So THAT`S why you and Wendy hardly come to our place anymore, mate.. :lol:

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS:

Everyone`s welcome at our place-whatever type of person.

Imagine if you could have a party in your front room at home and could invite a maximum 120 people! But only 50 on average turn up. That`s how we run it. Party, party ,party....Relaxed laid back atmosphere..great dance floor..friendly hosts people and atmosphere

On average I lose money running Barrow Hill after paying the DJ`S-paying for the room-paying for a few drinks-paying for a taxi home. Works out like a cheap night out. Never expected to make much money, if any at all.

A chance to play different across the board sounds with no rules along with stuff that people know-no pressure- we encourage all our guest dj`s to do the same.

This venue will be around for a long long time...we do it because we love to do it- and for the love of it.

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

no stilettoes

no nob heads

no chin strokers

no soul police

no bloody politicians

Oh , and if any did get in , I would be very diplomatic ,line em up and shoot half a dozen of em, dont want any rif raf in my Do' :P

:lol: Bazza

Social source share

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too :shades:

Thoughts?

Phil

Phil. I got into it properly when 2 of my fav nighters closed in the same year. Bretby and Tony,s and Winsford was heading the same way and i couldnt stand the thought of losing another nighter so i was asked to help run the place. With going everywhere at the time and knowing loads of people i thought i could help turn its fortune round which to my delight i helped do, not without considerable expense i may add doing hundreds of miles most weekends putting out flyers , checking out DJ.s etc . I never made any profit out of Winsford when you take into account all the previous things i,ve mentioned. So why did i do it. Love of Northern soul. pure and simple.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

We started Soul @ The Mill (now Soul @ Capones) last year coz there was bugger all on, (Southend Conservative Club excepted), in this NS wilderness called Essex :shades: Some people doubted there was the demand for our type of music in our area but we thought there was, if we could get the right venue and the "chemistry" right.

It certainly wasn't with a view to making any money.

Main intention was to put on a night, not taking ourselves too seriously, with dancefloor friendly records that punters would attend and, hopefully, leave feeling they'd had a good night!

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

From this side of the globe it's to attract like minded people and to promote Northern Soul, I know that probably in most venues in the UK that you could say that most people could know everyone else, but here they do & on a personal level.

Our soul nites are run as non profit, we change a measley $10 (about 5 quid) for entry, any money left over from paying for the venue goes towards advertising, styluses & so on.......we use the venues PA with our decks....the DJ's pay as well, no one has a problem with that as it's a necessary evil.

We run our nites on a bi-monthly with Brisbane, we support them, they support us.....we haven't the numbers to think about competing & most hard core regs go to both, as for another nite starting close by, for us it wouldn't probably happen, it's hard enough to get a management/venue anyway without the throughaway crowd being catered for.

As for DJ's, both myself, Ains & Kev have no qulams about not doing a spot as we have a guest DJ's all the time, generally we start the night off so the guests get the prime slots.

KTF

Baz

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too :shades:

Thoughts?

Phil

Social source share

Thoughts?

Phil

Our Local Soul Night!

I do it cause I love 60s Soul n Ska tunes and its great to hear them at full blast with a few pints!

And there is nothing else going on in our town !

Not for money (our last 3 were free)

And I don't have the time due to work n family to out n about "on the national scene"

Oh, and because other people come and enjoy the same thing !!!

Simple little nights really.

Stick your money and your ego up yer bum !

If it were not for the Love of the music and sharing It I wouldn't bother !

PEACE!

(PS. I used to go to the Raven in Whitchurch in the mid 80s when I was 15 - That was just a little Soul night - And it was a cracker! By the time i was 16 I was out all night every where! It was one of my introductions to great tunes )

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest sandi

My views are the same as Bettyboops, I suppose people still promote and put on venues mainly for the love of the music, recent times have shown it cant be for the love of making money as most venues are struggling to get the punters through the doors and are actually out of pocket by the end of the night.

We need to get a younger crowd interested now for the scene to survive in my opinion, l and my hubby both dj in modern rooms occasionally with the hope that this will entice younger one along, in some respects it works, but not enough, which is a shame,,, it do'est however mean we dont like oldies, we love em it's our roots and always will be, and sometimes get a chance to play in a oldies room.

l dont understand why the music has to be segregated why cant it be like it used to be and played in one room ? .

l think lm drifting away from the main point here, so maybe the answer is that if we have still got like minded promoters putting on venues using like minded forward thinking dj's then one day soon before it's too late a few just might get it right and for all the right reasons, and to do that they will have to listen to the punters ( tongue in cheek, cus l know there are those that do listen and its paying off ....The Oakley Country Club promoted by Mr Kev Roberts being a prime example).

Sandi

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You may have hit the nail on the head there actually, perhaps that is the way forward.

There were/are some clubs (not northern soul as far as I know) in London that decided not to allow entry to just anyone as they found that the "wrong" people were coming and spoiling the night. As everyone pretty much knew everyone else who was like minded they made the clubs invite only.

The result was a club full of people who liked the music being played and also the other people in the club. Hey presto, good club and great atmosphere.

Just an idle thought ..

Cheers

Paul

Was it you or Martin that looked after the door whilst I was djing...next thing I know, These Old Shoes was full of Swedish tourists wearing jester hats with bells on asking for Abba :thumbsup: Funny thing is, they didn't look out of place....only joking :D Happy days....oh, and an answer to the post. I ran clubs to play music very loudly without fear of the neighbours phoning the police, extort £3 out of people on the door and having loads of amazing guest djs which saved me having to travel loads - I got to stroke and sniff lots of lovely vinyl and cook breakfast for Dave Rimmer too :unsure:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Was it you or Martin that looked after the door whilst I was djing...next thing I know, These Old Shoes was full of Swedish tourists wearing jester hats with bells on asking for Abba :unsure: Funny thing is, they didn't look out of place....only joking :huh: Happy days....oh, and an answer to the post. I ran clubs to play music very loudly without fear of the neighbours phoning the police, extort £3 out of people on the door and having loads of amazing guest djs which saved me having to travel loads - I got to stroke and sniff lots of lovely vinyl and cook breakfast for Dave Rimmer too :(

I must disagree on a couple of points here :thumbsup:

Firstly, as I remember it I was Djing, they formation danced to The Profiles - Take A Giant Step. Secondly, they were Dutch. I blame you - you'd let anyone in. :lol:

Mind you, I agree that they didn't look out of place :D We had some very strange bods down there at times. That Marc Almond walked past the door once.

What was this thread about again? Oh yes; Why do people run Soul nights etc - because they want to I suppose and they've got the gumption to go ahead and do it. We started These Old Shoes because we thought it would be a great thing to do and there wasn't much on in London at the time (1998) other than the 100 club and some occasional (excellent) nights put on by Keb Darge & Ion. We did it to play and hear music and have a bit of fun, we hoped that others would come along and do the same, surprisingly they did.

I'd love to start up a club again, it was great fun. Weeknight R&B, Popcorn, Northern & Latin in York anyone?

Does anyone really put on a Soul night to make money? I very much doubt it.

As an aside, there are some bloody cynical, moaning, mithering threads on here at the moment. Has everyone lost their marbles along with their perspective? (Might start a thread on this somewhere).

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I can't see the point in running a soul night, there are so many out there as it is so why bother with the hassle. Most say they are trying to do something different but in the end they are really no different to what's already on offer. There are very few that really do offer something different, I mean really different. DDA @ Lowton and Greatsone two that sping to mind that do stick to their guns of offering something other than the tried & tested. Can only think of the Attic in the midlands since the Union closed.

So I'd save me pennies unless you are really gonna offer something different and just go along as a punter, there's enough venues out there now so why add to the choas.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

:lol:

Sean

Having viewed many of the posts on here regarding this subject, Sean's post stands out for me and a few others locally around our area. "Nobody caters for our particular approach to soul music within our local region" either. :lol:

I for one have never been a supporter of the local soul nite events, (North/West Yorks/Lancs border. Does not include BURNLEY). Over many years, the nationwide scene has always attracted me because it is valued far greater by me.

Should my local soul nite attract a dee jay that is right for me and my wife,(and that must include musically) - then I will seriously support his/her spot and that only. Paying money to attend the many middle of the road local nite around here, with local jocks "wannabies" then NO. Please note this comment only applies to my local area/district.

But that is the difference - the jocks I do wish to hear, and would support, should someone book them locally, the local run soul nite people would never dream of booking.....enough said. :lol:

Nick.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Did you have that serial killer facial hair back then :lol:

Hey ill have you know the Peter Sutcliffe look is hot in Manchester :lol:

Social source share

I can't see the point in running a soul night, there are so many out there as it is so why bother with the hassle. Most say they are trying to do something different but in the end they are really no different to what's already on offer. There are very few that really do offer something different, I mean really different. DDA @ Lowton and Greatsone two that sping to mind that do stick to their guns of offering something other than the tried & tested. Can only think of the Attic in the midlands since the Union closed.

So I'd save me pennies unless you are really gonna offer something different and just go along as a punter, there's enough venues out there now so why add to the choas.

:thumbup: bloody well put!..

I dont think anyone would ever admit to running a venue for money though I can think of a few that do / have.

I do it because I'm addicted to stress & I love the worry before the event. :wave:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I must disagree on a couple of points here :wave:

Firstly, as I remember it I was Djing, they formation danced to The Profiles - Take A Giant Step. Secondly, they were Dutch. I blame you - you'd let anyone in. :(

I'm disagreeing with the above....if you remember correctly, I was EXTREMELY fussy about who I let in....if it wasn't you, then it was Martin T that let them in :lol::yes: I wish I'd seen them formation dancing - and I knew they were European... :thumbup: Holland's near Sweden, innit :lol:

I'll also say that it wasn't for making money - if we were short on the door, the guest dj always got paid and we went without.

Running the club was about meeting some astounding people, playing the music we loved to people who appreciated it, fantastic memories (Top DJs staying at the world famous PTP Bed and Breakfast), doing fabulous things like taking the club 'on the road' for 'Soul at the Seaside', These Old Shoes @ the 100 Club, meeting the Diplomats, the 'Magic Disco Light', the sloping dancefloor and the TOS Allstars getting a guest slot on Richard Searling's show. When I look back on those 6 years, it's difficult not to see it through crimson coloured glasses - that little basement club took us to places we could never have imagined when we started it up. I loved that club - it never let us down and every month, even when the numbers were down, it still felt welcoming and friendly.

However, I think we'll both agree that we don't miss heaving the kit up and down stairs and loading it into a Fiat Panda, wading ankle deep through the contents of a Victorian sewer which burst an hour before we opened, the aggro, bollitics and headaches that went with the admin side of running the club and battling against a very loud Trad Jazz band who played upstairs...wags said that was the Modern Room :( Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a 10 year anniversary next year.....

Jo x

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

I'm disagreeing with the above....if you remember correctly, I was EXTREMELY fussy about who I let in....if it wasn't you, then it was Martin T that let them in :lol::D I wish I'd seen them formation dancing - and I knew they were European... :thumbsup: Holland's near Sweden, innit :D

I'll also say that it wasn't for making money - if we were short on the door, the guest dj always got paid and we went without.

Running the club was about meeting some astounding people, playing the music we loved to people who appreciated it, fantastic memories (Top DJs staying at the world famous PTP Bed and Breakfast), doing fabulous things like taking the club 'on the road' for 'Soul at the Seaside', These Old Shoes @ the 100 Club, meeting the Diplomats, the 'Magic Disco Light', the sloping dancefloor and the TOS Allstars getting a guest slot on Richard Searling's show. When I look back on those 6 years, it's difficult not to see it through crimson coloured glasses - that little basement club took us to places we could never have imagined when we started it up. I loved that club - it never let us down and every month, even when the numbers were down, it still felt welcoming and friendly.

However, I think we'll both agree that we don't miss heaving the kit up and down stairs and loading it into a Fiat Panda, wading ankle deep through the contents of a Victorian sewer which burst an hour before we opened, the aggro, bollitics and headaches that went with the admin side of running the club and battling against a very loud Trad Jazz band who played upstairs...wags said that was the Modern Room :D Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a 10 year anniversary next year.....

Jo x

These Old Shoes was 'special' - our night for London soul and kicked off lots of other soul nights including Boogaloosoul, Soul in the City etc. What makes a night special is the punters make it their night of the month that they can get excited about going to - you both pulled that off in spades.

Why do I run Boogaloosoul - simple - coz I BLOODY LOVE IT. It's my hobby and passion and worth the stress. I love seeing the faces of people dancing, chatting, getting together (sometimes the only time you see each other), hearing new tunes, hearing old crusty ones, laughing, clapping and even sometimes the moans about my latin tunes.

When I stop loving it I'll pack it in but for now it's one of the highlights of my month and I can't see the day when it won't be.

Cheers from a VERY VERY happy soulie.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I couldn't agree more. If anyone starts up a soul night thesedays they get loads of antagonism no matter where in the country it is and whatever the music policy (especially because they all say they're 'across the board' when they really mean oldies). If i even considered having a go i wouldn't even bother with a soul night, i'd go straight to a nighter. There are plenty of areas with very few nighters (warwickshire for sure, and yes i know we have the wonderful Rugby). As far as i can see kudos-wise you can't lose with a small venue nighter. If you fail everyone says, what a shame but well done for having a go, and if you succeed... :thumbsup:

Btw i'm happy just dancing/punting/occasionally collecting.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Ive been running niters for 7 years so this is my considered opinion,unless you run an empty shit hole in the middle of a field that failed and hardly anyone visited but everyone says they did,you are fair game for some serious stick whistling.gif ,but seriously now.I only know of 2 people that run nites for gain and thats how they make a liveing so fair play to them i wish them every success,all the others i know do it because they want to.As for doing it for money your avein a laugh we get monster crowds compared to most its a miracle if we break even,do it because you love it or dont do it,and expect plenty of critics if you get it wrong and twice as many if you get it even half right.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

I'm disagreeing with the above....if you remember correctly, I was EXTREMELY fussy about who I let in....if it wasn't you, then it was Martin T that let them in :(:( I wish I'd seen them formation dancing - and I knew they were European... :thumbsup: Holland's near Sweden, innit :D

However, I think we'll both agree that we don't miss heaving the kit up and down stairs and loading it into a Fiat Panda, wading ankle deep through the contents of a Victorian sewer which burst an hour before we opened, the aggro, bollitics and headaches that went with the admin side of running the club and battling against a very loud Trad Jazz band who played upstairs...wags said that was the Modern Room :( Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a 10 year anniversary next year.....

Jo x

Yes, I did too :D

Many happy memories of the once a month Thursday nights down TOS :)

Just couldn't wait for the next one to come around.

Sounds silly I know but remember many nights walking back over London Bridge, (or jogging coz I'd stayed that extra 5-10 minutes and was in danger of missing train home), in a euphoric state :D

That club sums up for me why people why people want to start up their own soul night, DJ etc.

It was certainly one of the inspirations for starting ours :)

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

The chance to play my tunes to lots of people was certainly a major factor to me when I used to run niters and soul nights. The money was quite welcome too :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Phil

Social source share

These Old Shoes was 'special' - our night for London soul and kicked off lots of other soul nights including Boogaloosoul, Soul in the City etc. What makes a night special is the punters make it their night of the month that they can get excited about going to - you both pulled that off in spades.

Why do I run Boogaloosoul - simple - coz I BLOODY LOVE IT. It's my hobby and passion and worth the stress. I love seeing the faces of people dancing, chatting, getting together (sometimes the only time you see each other), hearing new tunes, hearing old crusty ones, laughing, clapping and even sometimes the moans about my latin tunes.

When I stop loving it I'll pack it in but for now it's one of the highlights of my month and I can't see the day when it won't be.

Cheers from a VERY VERY happy soulie.

Nice to see that someone's a happy soulie at the moment Warren. Bloody hell, with all this gloom and doom about on here lately :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nice to see that someone's a happy soulie at the moment Warren. Bloody hell, with all this gloom and doom about on here lately :(

Gloom and doom? The way I look at it, it's all about choices - you choose to be miserable - you choose to be happy. Not difficult, is it?

Anyway's. I've just won 8 rare boogaloo singles on ebay and I'm estatic. More than enough to spoil anyone's night out. :thumbsup::):D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert