Trip Tips

Guest octopus

Guest octopus

Hallo!

This summer my girlfriend and I are going to the USA, taking a car from Washington DC and drive down till New Orleans, passing by practically all Southern States and main cities (Memphis, Nashville, etc.)...

This is our first time in this area, so it would be nice to have any tips, like record shops, cities, clubs or gigs we can't miss.... we'll be traveling from July 14th to 25th.

Reguarding our music preferences, we like soul, r&b and jazz that normally mods like.

Thank you!

Philip&Jacinta

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If you're in the Atlanta area on July 19, there's a fun night called Rhythm & Booze at a restaurant/bar called El Myr on Euclid Ave (Little 5 Points neighborhood). Very small room, eclectic clientele and lots of great music both common and obscure - very gritty in style.

Social source share

Strongly suggest you visit FAME studios and Muscle Shoals Sounds studios in Muscle Shoals Alabama. Well worth a slight divert to visit this Hallowed Ground...

In Memphis, you MUST go and see the MASQUERADERS at the Blues City Cafe - Fri & Sat shows 7:00 to 9.45 (on both nights) at the top end of Beale Street opposite BB KINGs. They are still MAGNIFICENT, put on a great show - and the ribs are pretty serious there too!

James Govan and his rhythm section perform at the Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale Street most nights. The show is INCREDIBLE!

Stax Studios (Museum) is also a must. You won't need me to explain why. Just go there!

Plus, if you're keen on culture, visit the National Civil Rights Museum sited at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis where Dr Martin Luther King was assasinated.

There's Record shops a plenty. "Shangri La" & "River Records" are well worth a visit.

New Orleans has a few decent record shops including Louisiana Music Factory and Jim Russells.

And of course Bourbon Street in the French Quarter has loads of great bars and music.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have the time of your life!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

As you're travelling from DC theres a shop just outside (Maryland) called "Memory Lane Records" which is worth checking out.

Also theres a few record shops in DC itself let me know if you need the addresses

Also theres a lovely supper club in DC called "Blues Alley" where you can catch great live soul and jazz 7 days a week in a nice intimate venue

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert