Dancefloor Fuel ?

could it be said that one of major but not talked about much factors at events is what the dancefloor is fueled on

what mean by fuel is along the lines of

most local soul nite = alchol

nighters = non-alchol

does it have a major effect ?

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

could it be said that one of major but not talked about much factors at events is what the dancefloor is fueled on

nighters = non-alchol

Mike it's obvious you know the secret of the black magic box. :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

on a more serious note people do what they want.....and long may it be so.....we must not be judgemental. where else anywhere do you see such a sight as an allnighter in full flow....after all these years.....it surely is a wonderous thing :lol:hypo.gif

Social source share

nighters = non-alchol

Most niters sell alcohol until the early hours now.

!00 Club, Lifeline, Rugby, Middleton and Stoke are just a few examples.

Not sure it has a major effect though.

Music is still what does it for me, and I like a drink :lol:

Social source share

nighters = non-alchol

Yes indeed.. As we get older it seems that many look to the bar for a beer.. It would be a brave promoter to put on an event without a bar :lol: .. I grew up with no beer at niters and could do that again but many want or need a pint.. Maybe more are without the magic black box effect and a few beers take the place....

My little night on the Friday at Cleethorpes was effected in numbers when the bar closed early on the Friday night..

No beer and no gear, not many of that brigade would stick around, maybe me included... Many have partners with them and the drink is a social thing between them and mates, when they were young and single they could just fuel up and dance till 8am, not the same now...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

nighters = non-alchol

================

Would be pretty accurate to say the dancefloor is nearly always fueled by something, whether it be beer or summat else. Personally not a drinker at either soul nights or nighters, so wouldn't worry me if it disappeared, think it would have a detremental effect on the courage (for want of a better word) to dance.

Winnie :-)

Social source share

I personally would not have alcahol at Nighters, certainly not after 2am, there's only one fuel for a Nighter. Like it or not its the truth. Each to thier own, but the better the gear the better the atmosphere & the better the floor shifts, not saying I agree, just an observation.

Russ

Social source share

nighters = non-alchol

It doesn't have to be a Soul related thing !

I Cant do anything after a Friday afternoon without some gear and beer ! laugh.gif

Even if its a family wedding or something :rolleyes:

Just do it kids !!!!! :lol:

Batter your own BRAIN silly ! Listen to your favorite tunes! Dance like feck! stay awake for days ! BUT don't hurt other folk on your way !

PEACE !

(only joking. I am a perfectly normal middle aged family geezer, with a dog to walk on a Sunday afternoon! ........ just like you !)

anyway........back to the topic ! :lol:

If your buzzing off your trumpet somewhere, the fact that the bar is still open at 04:00 hrs has zero effect on your dancing IMHO :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

These days I like a few beers to feel confident enough to hit the floor especially if no one else is dancing which is often the case early on. But I usually go onto water about 12 or maybe a couple of red bulls if I start to feel tired. (As an aside if I drink red bull it puts me off food for at least a day - is this just me ?)

Social source share

at soul nites nobody seems to get up until 10 ish and guess that is when the drink kicks in,

at niters it dies off about 5.00 so guess thats when the drink kills people.

me ? I get up anytime and throw myself about as long as the music is good,drink or not :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Dancefloor Fuel.

I think this is a major factor.

We've all heard tell of queues to get into nights in days of old. People frantically chatting, chewing and shuffling from foot to foot.

Then the doors open, chuck the bag down and straight on the floor. Sadly I think these days are gone for most.

Even at nighters now it takes a while for most to get a drink, say their hellos and venture to the edge of the dancefloor.

I'd be happy to go to a beer free night with like minded people, dancing till dawn.

The music played always helps to get people on the floor and stay there. However, if we keep getting the mellow, mid tempo madness from 4.00am onwards and the atmosphere starts pouring out the door, any beer or gear just turns into chatting fuel outside in the smoking area.

Please keep the lights low and the tempo up. When I want a rest, I'll get off the floor.

Doc

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I need chewing gum to dance. Some kind of security blanket to stop feeling self conscious. Otherwise i'd be singing my head off and ruining the tune for those in the close vicinity.

Social source share

was more of a "whats ya views" sort of opening post

of course got my own and they would go along lines of it does/can play a major part

but thought be interesting reading other members takes on it...

yeh, I think it's like the dividing line isn't it. Them that do and them that dont.

I think it's a terrible thing.. :D I bet everyone knows someone who's "indulged" at a niter, got carried away with the atmosphere etc, and spent loads of dosh on what (at the time) sounded like a brilliant record - only to play them at home the following day, once the gear's worn off to be really disapointed and find they've bought something that sounds distinctly average. :lol:

Maybe that's why so many average sounding 'new' finds make it at niters!.... does gear make the music sound better??.. :unsure::lol:

Jayne.x.

p.s. :D (being flippant!)

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Guest Beeks

I cant be whacking Amphet down my beak these days anyway...was a question of too much too young haha :D

So a bar is necessary...got to have a little vice...beer and a little marching powder on special occassions :unsure:

Social source share

yeh, I think it's like the dividing line isn't it. Them that do and them that dont.

I think it's a terrible thing.. :D I bet everyone knows someone who's "indulged" at a niter, got carried away with the atmosphere etc, and spent loads of dosh on what (at the time) sounded like a brilliant record - only to play them at home the following day, once the gear's worn off to be really disapointed and find they've bought something that sounds distinctly average. :lol:

Maybe that's why so many average sounding 'new' finds make it at niters!.... does gear make the music sound better??.. :unsure::lol:

Jayne.x.

p.s. :lol: (being flippant!)

Ha ha yes probably judging on some of the playlists I read on here I think it really does turn a person temporarily (or maybe permanantly in some cases).. tone deaf :D

I'm a drinker in the main myself and to be honest that doesn't really help the dancing skills at all.Although it does mean that I'm not so desperate to get on the dancefloor that I'll be up there strutting my stuff to Elijah rocking with Soul or some other God awful track like some people I know. (Okay it was me dancing to Lew Kirton at Cleethorpes I admit it but I don't get out that often :lol: )....

Social source share

Can easily do without any form of alcohol or gear or whatever ... soul music is the greatest natural high there is.

my sentiments e.xactly,,,,,,,,,i do partake of various vices when i go out. :lol::D:lol::D but can .still get on the floor sober as a judge if the right tune comes on, ez i hope i never have to though :unsure:

Social source share

I cant be whacking Amphet down my beak these days anyway...was a question of too much too young haha :D

So a bar is necessary...got to have a little vice...beer and a little marching powder on special occassions :unsure:

these days??... I'm guessing from your name that you're younger than many on here (younger than Reg even! :lol::D )

I remember a nighter in north wales where the bar shut really early, I think the venue opened at 10.pm but the bar shut at 11pm....was it Llandudno?...

didn't make much difference there, though it's a necessary for me too.

Jayne.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

these days??... I'm guessing from your name that you're younger than many on here (younger than Reg even! :D:unsure: )

I remember a nighter in north wales where the bar shut really early, I think the venue opened at 10.pm but the bar shut at 11pm....was it Llandudno?...

didn't make much difference there, though it's a necessary for me too.

Jayne.

Haha yeash Llandudno sounds right...its where im from :D

And young though I may be...im new school brain damage...rave generation hahaha which unfortunately involved quantity rather than quality...besides it would take me a week to recover if I took phet now...its just plain DUTTY!!

Ill stick to the Stella...go home and beat my wife...oh...hang on...I dont have one...im sure ill find something to beat up...BROS are reforming...fancy getting a posse together?

Social source share

Having been around for some time I did partake in the odd appetite suppressant or two when I was younger, not so as you'd notice now though :unsure: !

In the last few months I've cut right back on the beer and found I enjoy the night much more sober than I did when i was a little tipsy.

Phil

Social source share

Back in the days of yore it had a huge impact. :D My personal eperience is that nearly everyone was off their rocker on something or other. There was very little, if any, booze in them days. Let's not forget the baribiturate brigade as well - plenty of them in those days too - something I could never quite get my head round. :D

Times have changed. Booze plays a bigger part these days - with late bars at most places - as Tabs said. There are still plenty who like their comestibles - but it ain 't like it used to be. Neither is the gear for that matter!

:unsure:

Social source share

Haha yeash Llandudno sounds right...its where im from :unsure:

And young though I may be...im new school brain damage...rave generation hahaha which unfortunately involved quantity rather than quality...besides it would take me a week to recover if I took phet now...its just plain DUTTY!!

Ill stick to the Stella...go home and beat my wife...oh...hang on...I dont have one...im sure ill find something to beat up...BROS are reforming...fancy getting a posse together?

Im younger truth be told... and also on occasion in the early 90's, danced chemically altered in fields to a repetitive series of beats and also whenever I could got my head mashed up in a dub culture stylee. All dance floors have need a little oiling, its the gear that changes not the reasons. I drive to do's, so beer is off the menu, I still like a little stimulation though, just to keep the edge... though once you get past thirty you get a rush just tying up your shoes!

Edited by jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Commitments, Responsibilities, Wife, Kids, Driving license,.....I could go on , Have put an end tomy Hell raising days fuelled by whatever was available at the time. I look in the mirror and see I'm turning into my Dad in all respects except one If I'm listening to music ..The louder the better and I'll dance anywhere any place any tim

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

on a more serious note people do what they want.....and long may it be so.....we must not be judgemental. where else anywhere do you see such a sight as an allnighter in full flow....after all these years.....it surely is a wonderous thing :D:D

i have to agree with you :lol::unsure:

i enjoy a pint or 2 :lol: but obviously when i have to drive i don't drink but still enjoy myself (allthough it may not look like it), it would be interseting to see a nighter with out a bar, i wonder how busy it would be but i couldn't see many venue owners letting some one have a room with no bar

i think beer is the fuel up untill about 2am then after that i'm not sure what keeps every one going :lol:

Social source share

Don't do "gear", it's a personal preference, and if driving to a venue (except for a recent period of being banned) don't drink either, again my choice! My own view is that I don't give a F**k what anyone else chucks down there necks, it's their CHOICE. What I don't get, is when people come to bizzare conclusions i.e. that you're somehow a more committed soul fan if you do or don't do "gear" - like a lot of bollocks that gets bandied around on here, it's often a diversion from the real core of the "scene" i.e. the MUSIC!!!!!!

Des Parker

Social source share

I still like a little stimulation though, just to keep the edge...

just like to point out that this could and does include many things that are perfectly legal :-) IME tackle is not what it used to be...

Social source share

Guest posstot

Haha yeash Llandudno sounds right...its where im from :)

:rolleyes::D I'm in!!!

Social source share

Can easily do without any form of alcohol or gear or whatever ... soul music is the greatest natural high there is.

HURRAH!!!

I mainly drive to do's so no booze altho I do partake of the odd sherbet or 3 LOL when not drivin :)

Ive never done drugs even at allnighters/dayers I used to drink cream soda when we went to palais, the search brigade on the door always sniffed everything in bottles to make sure there was no booze smuggled in.

I shudder to think where the gear sellers hid their stashes :D

I shall be fuelled by adrenalin at whitby this weekend.

There was probably less fightin when there was no booze at dayers / nighters or there could be less now due to us all being older and more mature LOLOL but couldnt vouch for that. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is watching those who go pilled up for a few hours dancing buzzin off their t*ts slurring their words etc and them thinking they make sense.

Mand wink.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

Don't do "gear", it's a personal preference, and if driving to a venue (except for a recent period of being banned) don't drink either, again my choice! My own view is that I don't give a F**k what anyone else chucks down there necks, it's their CHOICE. What I don't get, is when people come to bizzare conclusions i.e. that you're somehow a more committed soul fan if you do or don't do "gear" - like a lot of bollocks that gets bandied around on here, it's often a diversion from the real core of the "scene" i.e. the MUSIC!!!!!!

Des Parker

Des...very well put. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

does gear make the music sound better??.. :rolleyes::D

good music is good music come what may......a couple of little fella ...and a great big fella make ME sound good lol not anyone else though lol

Social source share

Guest Beeks

To be honest i'll never need drugs to appreciate Soul...its not like you are listening to techno...where drugs play a major part...then when you come down you realise it is just mind knumbingly shit...Soul give you that natural adreneline rush...where the hairs on your neck stand on end...or you burst into tears spontaniously...no other music can make that happen to me...drugs just enhances the experience should you be that way inclined :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Im younger truth be told... and also on occasion in the early 90's, danced chemically altered in fields to a repetitive series of beats and also whenever I could got my head mashed up in a dub culture stylee. All dance floors have need a little oiling, its the gear that changes not the reasons. I drive to do's, so beer is off the menu, I still like a little stimulation though, just to keep the edge... though once you get past thirty you get a rush just tying up your shoes!

I'm older if truth be told but in the 90s (when I got just plain fed up of the scene) I danced chemically altered in fields and clubs in and around nottinghamshire - DIY free events were good uns :D as were Venus, Kool Kat / the Garage etc.

I now have no vices, I am a pilates practitioner, a zen buddhist and I live on a macrobiotic diet of fish and dust :rolleyes:

I tend to stroke my chin a lot

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I'm older if truth be told but in the 90s (when I got just plain fed up of the scene) I danced chemically altered in fields and clubs in and around nottinghamshire - DIY free events were good uns :) as were Venus, Kool Kat / the Garage etc.

I now have no vices, I am a pilates practitioner, a zen buddhist and I live on a macrobiotic diet of fish and dust :rolleyes:

I tend to stroke my chin a lot

HAHA I remember the DIY lot...that famous photo of them all with records over their faces...about 40 of them hahaha :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

get some dubes, get blocked and f*** the consequences as everybody and their dog keeps telling me,"you only live once mate" excatly :lol:

the consequences of life .....is death.......what you do in between is all down to luck. A friend of mine some time ago was a fitness fanatic never drank,never took drugs ate all the right foods ect ect .....dropped down dead one day ...in his 30's. Another fella i've known since I was a kid.....took twice as much drugs as anyone else,was always pissed. was once left outside a phone box in the snow after drinking buckets full and 12 big tunol ....did it kill him, nah not a bit of it,he got double pnuemonia and he's now still about a raving wino in his 60's can be found most days on a bench somewhere.

All things in moderation....all things...... :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest kev such

To be honest i'll never need drugs to appreciate Soul...its not like you are listening to techno...where drugs play a major part...then when you come down you realise it is just mind knumbingly shit...Soul give you that natural adreneline rush...where the hairs on your neck stand on end...or you burst into tears spontaniously...no other music can make that happen to me...drugs just enhances the experience should you be that way inclined :ohmy:

True. Not done the drug thing myself.

Its the music thats drug enough for me. Must admit that the takings are pretty good for a small town like Rothwell where we hold the Cream Cracker. The manageress did tell me that the club makes more over the bar from the 4 events we hold there each year than from the other weddings, christenings etc they have there most Saturdays, admittedly the hall is used by 30 linedancers 1 Saturday each month. Which is great because it helps keep the venue open. But i honestly have not noticed anyone blind drunk or even partially falling down by the time we close. So maybe we do drink a lot but the dancing sweats it all out of us, :lol: .

Kind regards

Kev

Social source share

True. Not done the drug thing myself.

Its the music thats drug enough for me. Must admit that the takings are pretty good for a small town like Rothwell where we hold the Cream Cracker. The manageress did tell me that the club makes more over the bar from the 4 events we hold there each year than from the other weddings, christenings etc they have there most Saturdays, admittedly the hall is used by 30 linedancers 1 Saturday each month. Which is great because it helps keep the venue open. But i honestly have not noticed anyone blind drunk or even partially falling down by the time we close. So maybe we do drink a lot but the dancing sweats it all out of us, :lol: .

Kind regards

Kev

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I think that in general most people that like a bit of dancing dust are going to do it anyway, most venues I assume in the UK would be selling grog...here they have to, I would suspect that most venues would have to have a bar to make some money, can't imagine any venue being able to support itself on the door takings & selling a few cokes (the bottled kind :ohmy: )......as said all things in moderation.....& I personally don't think it makes a blind bit of difference on the whole.....I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

one last thought on this subject. If when you go out,say once a fortnight on average and you like a little enhancement then so what. I see plenty of folk who don't,but they look down their noses at those who do...they're stood there sometimes very ,very overweight,or they smoke like a chimney and/or drink more beer than they might ought to.....they do all these things day in and day out.For myself I like the enhancement....not overweight,don't drink overly much at anytime and have never smoked in my life....so whats the message?

Social source share

one last thought on this subject. If when you go out,say once a fortnight on average and you like a little enhancement then so what. I see plenty of folk who don't,but they look down their noses at those who do...they're stood there sometimes very ,very overweight,or they smoke like a chimney and/or drink more beer than they might ought to.....they do all these things day in and day out.For myself I like the enhancement....not overweight,don't drink overly much at anytime and have never smoked in my life....so whats the message?

Mr Darcy

I dont partake of enhancements

nor am I over weight

nor do I smoke

I dont look down my nose at folk who enjoy the odd enhancement (theyd have to be a dwarf for me to do that :D )

as you say you have to weigh up the odd weekend jobby as apposed to constant smoking and drinking all through the week not just at weekends.

Wasnt it once said that " a little of what you fancy does do you good"

Have a good weekend whatever you choose to do.

Mand ( off to whitby tomoro) thumbup.gif

Social source share

============

I agree with the sentiment a little enhancement is ok/good, not sure I can agree with the medical argument you're putting forward though :-) Gear like anything else is ok when used in moderation, it's when people go over the top problems start. Addictive personalities don't help either, nor does thinking it's 'in the rules' to do gear if you're into northern thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I just need the music as my fuel, I dance all weekend long without any alcohol or anything. I'm usually first on the floor and last off. I would rather have chocolate if I need enhancing! tongue.gif

I know that's not normal though, but I still don't associate alcohol with all-nighters.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert