Wigan: Things Picked Up By Your Tape Recorder

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

That bloke is still my best mate by the way...31 years later...he's just so concerned that I should have a good time, you hear him say "don't come to me when you get depressed, I'm having 12 no 14 tonight" :lol: I know the use of drugs is not exactly a funny topic but I did laugh when I heard this for the first time in years - I'd actually used the tape, which I only recorded on one side, to record some tracks on for Eddie Hubbard back in 1979, incredibly he still had the tape and he was kind enough to run it off for me.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

That bloke is still my best mate by the way...31 years later...he's just so concerned that I should have a good time, you hear him say "don't come to me when you get depressed, I'm having 12 no 14 tonight" :lol: I know the use of drugs is not exactly a funny topic but I did laugh when I heard this for the first time in years - I'd actually used the tape, which I only recorded on one side, to record some tracks on for Eddie Hubbard back in 1979, incredibly he still had the tape and he was kind enough to run it off for me.

i used to travel with three lads who indulged but i never knew anything about it once inside we parted, i went to the record bar and they went off dancing, one night i was coming back from the toilet when something hit me on my shoulder, bent down and picked up a plastic bag full of blue capsules my mate said give me them so i did he returned later with cash!!!! so it was back to the record bar for me, i later heard a lad had been busted on the balcony and must have thrown his stash over, great tape pete good old days them mate :lol:

Social source share

So did you always say no Pete? :ohmy: he sounds very persuasive :huh:

I said no for exactly a year then gave in to temptation, wish I hadn't though, that first year was the best ever. That particular night nobody could get anything so it was about 3 o clock when that conversation took place and by then I wasn't interested anyway.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I said no for exactly a year then gave in to temptation, wish I hadn't though, that first year was the best ever. That particular night nobody could get anything so it was about 3 o clock when that conversation took place and by then I wasn't interested anyway.

The very first night I went, a guy asked me "what I was dropping tonight?" I told him to piss off because I thought he meant my knickers! :ohmy: I never actually heard that expression again, thankfully!

Social source share

Fantastic Una!

Lecherous b'stard, eh?

I can remember the glum faces at the Fleet one night when there was absolutely nothing available.

A minority stomped on regardless, but the place seriously thinned out from about 4pm onwards.

Some admirable resistance show there Pete.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

LOL Una....bet you don't say that to Rob.......see you in Sydney if not before.....are you coming up?.....just let us know if you want the hotel suite made up for you.

KTF

Baz

The very first night I went, a guy asked me "what I was dropping tonight?" I told him to piss off because I thought he meant my knickers! :thumbsup: I never actually heard that expression again, thankfully!
Social source share

Fantastic Una!

Lecherous b'stard, eh?

I can remember the glum faces at the Fleet one night when there was absolutely nothing available.

A minority stomped on regardless, but the place seriously thinned out from about 4pm onwards.

Some admirable resistance show there Pete.

seriously there were people from york who wouldn`t go if they wern`t sorted BEFORE they set off :thumbsup: TRUE SOULIES EH :unsure:

Social source share

The very first night I went, a guy asked me "what I was dropping tonight?" I told him to piss off because I thought he meant my knickers! :thumbsup: I never actually heard that expression again, thankfully!

If that same question was asked in South Yorkshire back then , the answer / reply would certainly have been

" Why - What's tha got " ..........

Or if it had been the late Bub , the reply would have been " me guts " ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

If that same question was asked in South Yorkshire back then , the answer / reply would certainly have been

" Why - What's tha got " ..........

Or if it had been the late Bub , the reply would have been " me guts " ...........

Malc Burton

Well that was my first night, and I was learning fast! Having a Glasgow accent it was probably a bit more fruity than piss off! If he had asked 6 months later it would have been a different answer :D - probably "smile on" :P

I can remember a big guy, with a nice friendly face, he always used to say to me in a mock Scottish accent " Oh dearrr there's no gearrr here!" I would know him if I saw him in a photo.

Baz - it is still under consideration. What date?

Social source share

Well that was my first night, and I was learning fast! Having a Glasgow accent it was probably a bit more fruity than piss off! If he had asked 6 months later it would have been a different answer :D - probably "smile on" :P

I can remember a big guy, with a nice friendly face, he always used to say to me in a mock Scottish accent " Oh dearrr there's no gearrr here!" I would know him if I saw him in a photo.

Hi Una ........

Was this the chap ? , if so it was Bub ........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1215331127_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Saturday July 26th...hope you & the big fella can make it up...barrie & Lynn may be coming, think they're still in France though.

KTF

baz

Well that was my first night, and I was learning fast! Having a Glasgow accent it was probably a bit more fruity than piss off! If he had asked 6 months later it would have been a different answer :shades: - probably "smile on" :D

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Hi Una ........

Was this the chap ? , if so it was Bub ........

Malc Burton

Erm...did he used to wear a tweed coat? And had something to do with the police? I don't recall that hat though :wave:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Saturday July 26th...hope you & the big fella can make it up...barrie & Lynn may be coming, think they're still in France though.

KTF

baz

The consideration is getting seriouser and seriouser!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somewhere I have a tape from early 74. A guy, I think from Bolton, was dancing and a div kept getting in his way. The Bolton lad asked him to keep away, but the guy wouldn't. This went on for 5 minutes or so, when the Bolton guy shouted "Right!"

Cue some strange noises, then the Bolton lad says, "Now f..k off out before I really start" The record playing is Beautiful Day as the div walked away holding his nose!

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Somewhere I have a tape from early 74. A guy, I think from Bolton, was dancing and a div kept getting in his way. The Bolton lad asked him to keep away, but the guy wouldn't. This went on for 5 minutes or so, when the Bolton guy shouted "Right!"

Cue some strange noises, then the Bolton lad says, "Now f..k off out before I really start" The record playing is Beautiful Day as the div walked away holding his nose!

:)

Social source share

This is the friday night oldies, July 1977, notice how I JUST SAY NO :)

Here's a picture of the actual tape Pete .......Best ,Eddie

Bloomin' heck Eddie, that sent me down memory lane - I used to buy 2 of those Philips tapes and 4 batteries every saturday morning from Selectavision in the village. Shame that it says number 39 on it, I only ended up with about 10 of my tapes after lending them all out.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

That bloke is still my best mate by the way...31 years later...he's just so concerned that I should have a good time, you hear him say "don't come to me when you get depressed, I'm having 12 no 14 tonight" :thumbsup: I know the use of drugs is not exactly a funny topic but I did laugh when I heard this for the first time in years - I'd actually used the tape, which I only recorded on one side, to record some tracks on for Eddie Hubbard back in 1979, incredibly he still had the tape and he was kind enough to run it off for me.

don't believe you pete lol.......12 to 14 what?........sounds a bit lightweight for those days lol laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

seriously there were people from york who wouldn`t go if they wern`t sorted BEFORE they set off :thumbsup: TRUE SOULIES EH laugh.gif

thats the only part of the scene today thats ....the same old same old lol :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

:unsure::lol: I would love to hear this, especially with Beautiful Day playing in the background! I've got the giggles now imagining the scene!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert