Side B

I'll be your champion - Tony Hester

Go-Go - Buena Vistas

Shake me, break me - Motor City Sound

Shy guy - Denise & The Devotions

Angelina Angelina - Stewart Ames

Say it isnt so (With Strings) - Popcorn & the Soul Hawks

Hole in the wall - JJ Barnes

Anyone have any info on this. I think I bought it at the Leicester Oddfellows allnighter, when they held it in Loughborough. Some nice tracks that were popular at that time (1987).

Who was behind Kool Kat, and Precision Records the distributors. What it legit etc?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Does every one else have the Red Vinyl as mine is Black? I believe I got it from the back pages of Black Echoes.

I think I have this on black vinyl. Got it as a Christmas gift from a guy who had a record shop and he told me it was a promotional thing that he received. I'd have to dig it out and check the track listing but it sounds like the same vinyl.

...... :thumbup: And one side is 33rpm, 'tother 45rpm - very confusing after a few bevvies!

Social source share

Does every one else have the Red Vinyl as mine is Black? I believe I got it from the back pages of Black Echoes.

I bought mine from Black Echoes and the vinyl is black. Great cut of "Ill Be Your Champion"!

Social source share

====

gr8 memories of stafford this lp - nearly all trax were spun there

in the pocket was MASSIVE..& still sounds gr8

likewise i thought was a kingy/guy job

stewart ames-king for a day, wat a tune this is and thank u to the stafford guys to have the sheer balls to play tunes of this tempo, still one of me fave tunes ever

Social source share

I have 2 copies . I always assumed the ' in the pocket ' track was a home made job recorded in the Uk in the early 80's - I may be wrong. I remember it being played at the 100 club long before before it appeared in Virgin stores June 1987 (price £3.49)

And on that red vinyl bombshell . . . .

Edited by jez bishop
Social source share

I have 2 copies . I always assumed the ' in the pocket ' track was a home made job recorded in the Uk in the early 80's - I may be wrong. I remember it being played at the 100 club long before before it appeared in Virgin stores June 1987 (price £3.49)

And on that red vinyl bombshell . . . .

Totally agree...gr8 lp...picked up a black vinly one years ago from a little charity shop in Ely..cambs...

wonder if the shop is still there...also managed to find a 45 of Erik & the Vickings...hurting...

Got to say angelina angelina is a fav of mine....

Social source share

Kool Kat was (and is) a label owned by myself and Dave Barker. It was set up in 1987 when we got into house music.

The label was the first European label to really give exposure to Detroit Techno and released Detroit Techno 12's now acclaimed as all time classics by the likes of Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May and Juan Atkins. It later evolved into the Network label, which was one of the the most successful indie dance labels of the early 90's. Inner City of "Big Fun" and "Good Life" fame came out of Kool Kat but I signed them on to Virgin and managed the band.

I called the label Kool Kat as I always loved Joe Matthews "Ain't Nothing You can Do". In the same way a Network offshoot label Six6 was in tribute to Earl Van Dyke's classic.

The record you mentiond was obviously nothing to do with house music, but Chris King and (I think) Guy Hennigan had sourced loads of tapes from Popcorn Wylie and he had given them the rights to release in UK so I did a deal with Chris and put out a seven inch and twevle inch single. The Techno scene meant I was in Detroit a lot at that time and I used to go and visit Popcorn a lot and he confirmed the tracks had come via him.

Incidentally the Techno guys all had their own label and used Detroit Soul enthusiast Ron Murphy to master their records. They loved Ron and told me he "likes the same old shit you do". I went to see him one day when he had a shop and cutting lathe in the back. He had just had some of the D-Town master tapes delivered to him and took great delight in showing them to me, along with his copy of "Do I Love You" - Frank Wilson. That was the copy that Kenny Burrell has now got.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Incidentally the Techno guys all had their own label and used Detroit Soul enthusiast Ron Murphy to master their records. They loved Ron and told me he "likes the same old shit you do". I went to see him one day when he had a shop and cutting lathe in the back. He had just had some of the D-Town master tapes delivered to him and took great delight in showing them to me, along with his copy of "Do I Love You" - Frank Wilson. That was the copy that Kenny Burrell has now got.

Great stuff, Neil.

The late Ron Murphy is a legend.

Didn't realise that the Frank Wilson had come from him though.

A pic of Ron with said lathe!

Sean

post-4120-1214915399_thumb.jpg

Social source share

AWESOME!

Mine is on red vinyl copy too...seem to recall initial orders arrived instore like this.

Would be interested to learn why the speeds varied per side, considering the number of tracks/running time.

:lol:

====

yes gr8 one - shake me wake me

remember guy spinning this at stafford as if it was yesterday!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks a lot for the info Neil. Its great to hear the story behind this record.

Now, I dont suppose Colin Bee is lingering on here and wants to tell us about his album in the late 70s :lol:

Social source share

Just played the 12" - it sounds superb, had forgotten how good the mastering was, especially taking into account the quality of the tapes we were given.

Had time to remember a few things, we did the seven and twelve on both on red and black vinyl, and Blues & Soul gave a brilliant review to them on release.

The 12" sleeve is in a Precision generic house bag because that was a service PTR, our distributor, offered at the time, if you did not have a pic bag and didn't want to use a plain bag, they would supply their bags.

The "My Baby Ain't No Plaything" - Willie Jones is a regular play at Soulvation events and had a few people asking what it was when I dropped it at the last Bridgewater.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Just played the 12" - it sounds superb, had forgotten how good the mastering was, especially taking into account the quality of the tapes we were given.

Did you intend to release more tracks? I remember Guy playing some other Detroit sounding instrumental such as 'The Michigan Move', but they might have been played of his own acetates, original studio copies of EMI's off studio tapes, I don't know.

Social source share

Did you intend to release more tracks? I remember Guy playing some other Detroit sounding instrumental such as 'The Michigan Move', but they might have been played of his own acetates, original studio copies of EMI's off studio tapes, I don't know.

Michigan Move finally came out as the other side of the first bootleg of "Pyramid" Soul Bros Inc

Social source share

No, I think we put out everything that was good and handed over.

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert