Just Thought I'd Share This With You

Guest mel brat

Dee Dee sharpe surfaced a little later didn't it?

No. Dee Dee Sharp was released on UK Action in 1968, so was known from day one, but it's lack of rarity probably excluded it from the big time initially. The instrumental by the Producers on Huff Puff (which was Leon Huff's own label, naturally), was initially a Cats exclusive I believe.

The vocal "What Kind Of Lady" had a sort of mini revival at the Cats C.1973 and apart from "A Touch Of Venus", was probably the only side I heard there that I already owned! A truly awesome record, but the instrumental doesn't do much for me in comparison.

The same goes for "Frantic Escape" - though I like it a lot, Tommy Neal's vocal is better!

Besides, not all instrumentals are uptempo, Northern or "rare" are they?! - I've loved "Southern Sunset" by BRICK and the instrumental version of "After The Dance" on Marvin Gaye's "I Need You" LP since 1976 with no sign of going off 'em yet! Ditto Manzel's "Space Funk" and dozens of others.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• Replies 131
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

Yea still got more of the above. We also played inst of Band of Gold by Cloud 9 Strings from budget LP.

"Band Of Gold" inst. was played at the Cats too! (1973) "Disco Strings of Cloud Nine" LP from Woollies! :D

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Great thread, I have always loved instrumentals and my faves are:-

Bubblegum Breakthrough - Mike Post Coalition - Warner Brothers 7 Arts (just love the way this builds up).

Bella Delana - The Marketts - Warner Brothers (awesome laid back, feel good music).

Six O'Clock - The Total Eclipse - Imperial (I think, can't be bothered looking for it to check, oooh those strings are out of this world)

Geary Street - Bill Purcel - Dot (popular spin for me in Stockport in early 80's).

Earl Wright Orchestra - Thumb a ride - Capitol (The master of all instrumentals).

Don't pretend - Soul Fox Strings - Soul Fox (its a boot I know but I love it).

Astral Trip - Mystic Moods - Warner Brothers (I had quite a soft spot for this again beutiful production)

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes from this Album

Imperial_12353.jpg

Instant Favourite from the first time I heard it.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The best instrumental I have ever heard has got to be ''Tracks to your Mind'' Sounds of Lane

does it for me everytime

Used to cause a storm at the early Mecca days, shame that instrumentals no longer

"de rigeur" unsure.gif

Bit of Duke Browner boy meeself.......(if that doesn't sound rude)

Chris L

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Does 'Sock It To em JB' count ? If so, that has to be up there with 'Rat 'Race' :thumbsup:

Couple I used to like from late 70's early 80's ;

Hollywood Persuaders - Hollywood A Go Go (got the LP too which has a few more good Mod instrs on)

Phil Coulter - A Good Thing Going

Harry Betts - Theme From Fantastic Plastic Machine (kept an eye out & have never personally seen it on ebay, never in many lists either. Is it rare or just crap ? :thumbsup: i say that 'cause I quite like that 'Jack 23' tune too.)

Couple of other old favourites of mine;

Lord Thunder - Thunder

(the apt named) Cal T Jader - Soul Sauce (still love that)

Mood Mosaics - A Touch Of Velvet, A Sting Of Brass

Anybody like me prefer the inst of 'Back Street' to the vocal ? Love Edwin Starr but for some reason I prefered this as an instrumental.

Got a good instr version of '25 miles' somewhere too, can't remember the artist at the moment though ?

Couple of other good duel voc/instr :

Help Me - Al wilson

Have Some Everybody - Flaming Emeralds

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

but some instros are just backing tracks,??you are correct in this statement in some concerns my friend,however in some of the great detroit instances the music came first ,then the vocals,not every one can sing to express themselves,some guys/girlsneed the music first for that shout bak,thats why some instros are probably more powerful than the vocal,good old innocent dance music,love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sure many singers did sing over already popular instrumentals...good business move !....its just some instrumental tracks i hear ,mainly on compilation albums ...cant think of one of top of me head will have a look when i get home ,just sound a bit ...well boring,aswell as no vocal they also have no lead instrument or a big brass section blasting out a melody ..its just a rhythm basically....if you know what i mean ?....didnt have any of the BIG instrumentals already mentioned in mind and i agree some of the instrumentals are more powerful than the vocals!

Social source share

Whether they were meant to have vocals or not, some records are just better as instrumentals - the prime example being Double Cookin' - in fact the vocals do it down, it's great as it is. Then you've got the other end of the spectrum - records whose instrumentals are great but vocal versions are terrible - I'm thinking Liberty - Girl you better wake up, for a start

Social source share

Hows about Freddie McCoy "Soul Yogi" on Prestige? Vibes-a-go go! :yes: Played it at the Yate Revival and even though it was fairly early doors had several people asking about it. Great little mover (unlike me!) :thumbsup:

Agreed. Its an acquired taste though. If you dont get it, you,ll never ever like it. Unless you are off your scone that is!!!!! :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mel, Tommy Neal doesn't do a vocal to Frantic Escape. In fact there isn't a vocal to Frantic Escape.

Huh? What was I thinking??? Just had a listen to it again. You're absolutely right of course.

Funny, cos' I'm sure I had two copies of it in the distant past (on Pameline and Atlantic) and have since entirely forgot what it sounded like! I got it into my head it was the backing to "Going To A Happening" duhh! :shades::lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

yep!!!!!!!! all the great ones have covered here but what about Saxie Russell flip , i'll always recall one R,SEARLING playing the inst instead of the vocal at wigan got it on a 1975 tape...

The instrumental to "Psychedelic Soul" was always played alongside the vocal, right from day one. Ditto Butch Baker, Ann Perry, AL Wilson etc..

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Besides, not all instrumentals are uptempo, Northern or "rare" are they?! - I've loved "Southern Sunset" by BRICK and the instrumental version of "After The Dance" on Marvin Gaye's "I Need You" LP since 1976 with no sign of going off 'em yet! Ditto Manzel's "Space Funk" and dozens of others.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

but some instros are just backing tracks,??you are correct in this statement in some concerns my friend,however in some of the great detroit instances the music came first ,then the vocals,not every one can sing to express themselves,some guys/girlsneed the music first for that shout bak,thats why some instros are probably more powerful than the vocal,good old innocent dance music,love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't personally imagine some of the early 80s "drum machine" recordings standing alone as instrumental versions can you?

So has the art of producing and arranging a fully orchestrated instrumental been lost to black music do you think? - or is the desire to hear such a thing just a generational thing, confined to those of us who grew up expecting it via Holland Dozier Holland, Burt Bacharach et. al.?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Lovely Saxy version of After the Dance by Harold Vick on Wolf album out of Miami

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest sandi

:unsure: Don't shout! - some of us are trying to get to sleep! :D

Dave m8 lm not shouting, just cant see too good these days, old age, gear and beer :( .........

Anyway weekends are for partying staying up all nite and trawling through the forums on here.

AINT THIS SHOUTING !!!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest nusha

not feelin BAbY EARL at all but would happilywelcome a return to the turntables for COCHISE if youd Djs have the bottle?

Social source share

Guest Gogs

one that's been in my box for nearly 30 years, never hear it played out (but don't think i could dance to it anyway)

Johnny Harris Orchestra- Lulu's theme -(uk) warner bros.

Social source share

Does anyone know the vocal to Doin the Gittin Up by the Devonnes Band? It is on the Kent GWP CD. There is also a brilliant instrumental on there by Milton Bennet called Whats One More Lie.

Does anyone play them out and about?

Apologies if they are really common, but they are newish to me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert