Just Thought I'd Share This With You

Geary Street - Bill Purcel - Dot (popular spin for me in Stockport in early 80's).been after one of these for a while - is it any good?

Astral Trip - Mystic Moods - Warner Brothers (I had quite a soft spot for this again beutiful production)

one of my top 10 oldies of all time - this was brill at wigan!

Social source share

• Replies 131
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sandi

Someone mentioned Police Story, and yes, that's rubbish, but another tv theme is absolutely brilliant and goodness me it took me over 25 years to get a copy, and after I sold that, another decade to find another... Bob's Band - Locke's Theme - Atco... doesn't have the soul content of something like Bari Track but it's a brilliant tune

Bari track great instrumental, as a new up and coming dj, (Mrs Harpo) l love loads of instrumentals eg Dezro Orchestra Witchunt that l played on friday nite @ Oldbury, Sidras Theme a all time fav and Love Childs Afro Cuban Blues Bands Life & death in G&A, i also played the B side of Interplay, God Knows. Prince Phillip Mithells 1 on 1, his greatest track in my opinion, another record that raised the roof on Pomas tribute nite @ goodyears when l played it was Issac Hayes, Disco Connection, now theres a piece of music well ahead of its time.Also the Nights, when you drop your guard (love knocks you down), Ellusion , living on the verge of leaving,Champagne, If one more morning (Phil Shelton loved It). etc etc, no excuses for any dj to play the same old same old, Marvin Smith, Who will do your running now, l also played on fri, the list is endless really, demonstrating the thousands and thousands of oldies, crossover and modern soul records still probably not been given the respectability of being played for years or in that case ever!! Time for a wake up and shake up l think....But then who am l ?????

Social source share

Guest mel brat

========

only made the last 3 allniters (1st one was the end of an era!)

would love to have been a fly on the wall during that first year!

There weren't any "flies on the wall"... they were all swimming in the Gents toilets! :wave::lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bari track great instrumental, as a new up and coming dj, (Mrs Harpo) l love loads of instrumentals eg Dezro Orchestra Witchunt that l played on friday nite @ Oldbury, Sidras Theme a all time fav and Love Childs Afro Cuban Blues Bands Life & death in G&A, i also played the B side of Interplay, God Knows. Prince Phillip Mithells 1 on 1, his greatest track in my opinion, another record that raised the roof on Pomas tribute nite @ goodyears when l played it was Issac Hayes, Disco Connection, now theres a piece of music well ahead of its time.Also the Nights, when you drop your guard (love knocks you down), Ellusion , living on the verge of leaving,Champagne, If one more morning (Phil Shelton loved It). etc etc, no excuses for any dj to play the same old same old, Marvin Smith, Who will do your running now, l also played on fri, the list is endless really, demonstrating the thousands and thousands of oldies, crossover and modern soul records still probably not been given the respectability of being played for years or in that case ever!! Time for a wake up and shake up l think....But then who am l ?????

:wave: Don't shout! - some of us are trying to get to sleep! :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Would Junior Walker - What Does it Take - count as an instr?? I heard it on the radio last night. Beautiful.

Social source share

Umm not sure, had the sound down for some of it. Just found a tape from 74...have you got that one? No date, just 74. Starts off with Tobi Legend then Carmel Strings then LIving A Lie

Pete/Marc,

I think that might be the tape you both transferred onto CD for me last year? Pete did it first, then that went missing in the car, and Marc did quite a few transfers for me.

If it is, it is from September 74.

ATB,

Brian B

Social source share

Pete/Marc,

I think that might be the tape you both transferred onto CD for me last year? Pete did it first, then that went missing in the car, and Marc did quite a few transfers for me.

If it is, it is from September 74.

ATB,

Brian B

Yeah it is that one Brian, I forgot I had it on tape before I put it on cd.

Social source share

Guest nusha

MY CHOICE

MY SWEET POTATOE_BOOKER T

IM SATISFIED-SAN REMO

GONZO -JAMES BOOKER

SPENCER DAVIS_TRAMPOLINE

BILL BLACK-TURN ON YOUR LOVELIGHT

SPOOKYS DAY OFF-SS MACHINE

PERCOLATIN-WILLIE MITCHELL

ALBERT KING-NIGHT STOMP

FREDDY KING-HIDEAWAY

Social source share

Still recording Wigan tapes onto my pc. THis is one I;d never listened to before as far as I know, 26 July 1975, and it's taped right from the start of the evening, see how Russ's spot starts out really interestingly then descends into Soussan/Tommy Hunt/Instrumnetal madness!

the fidels - I'm giving you notice

tommy bush - I don't like it

mamie galore - no right to cry

frantic strings - shoot the duck inst

frank polk - love is dangerous

vicki nelson - hey stoney face instrumental

soul patrol - save your love for me

biddu orchestra - exodus

esther phillips - what a difference a day made

5000 volts - I'm on fire instrumental (or is it black is black)

tommy hunt - crackin' up over you

the daisies - cold wave

mirwood strings - don't pretend inst

royal vibes - the joker

spix & spax - follow the leader

the belles - let me do it

dave mitchell - the trip

johnny johnson - music to my heart

hank jacobs - elijah rockin with soul

the exciters - reaching for the best

johnny ross - I can't help myself

detroit sound - jumping at the gogo

larry santos - you got me where you want me

judy harris - you touched me

pointer sisters - send him back

flower shoppe - you've come a long way baby

nooney rickett - tomorrow is another day

earl wright - on the road to ruin

keymen brass - he's alright with me

tommy bush - I don't like it

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Always liked The Executives - Wandering or is it Wondering?

The Rimshots - Do what you feel (only a couple of vocals)

Social source share

Still recording Wigan tapes onto my pc. THis is one I;d never listened to before as far as I know, 26 July 1975, and it's taped right from the start of the evening, see how Russ's spot starts out really interestingly then descends into Soussan/Tommy Hunt/Instrumnetal madness!

Dear god , Pete - I had cast that " gem " to the furthest canyon of my mind ........

I shall now have flashbacks for the rest of the evening .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Dear god , Pete - I had cast that " gem " to the furthest canyon of my mind ........

I shall now have flashbacks for the rest of the evening .........

Malc Burton

When I was recording it, Mick Smith phoned up and this was on in the background and he said what's that, an instrumental version of Ten Miles High? In parts, it sounds just like it!

Social source share

yep!!!!!!!! all the great ones have covered here but what about Saxie Russell flip , i'll always recall one R,SEARLING playing the inst instead of the vocal at wigan got it on a 1975 tape ( wiganer 1 will back me up there , won't you mark) diggin deep now, played cliff nobles ' Horse fever ' ( inst to 'judge baby i'm back) the other week and that sounded pretty good, dead loud.All time favs are BARI TRACK ,Thumb a ride( those wigan handclaps , awesome) and Third time around ' soon everythings gonna be alright' flip.. keep em coming .Pete

Social source share

Disco Connection, sounded great. I haven't heard it for years and it went down really well. Nice one!

Social source share

yep!!!!!!!! all the great ones have covered here but what about Saxie Russell flip , i'll always recall one R,SEARLING playing the inst instead of the vocal at wigan got it on a 1975 tape ( wiganer 1 will back me up there , won't you mark) diggin deep now, played cliff nobles ' Horse fever ' ( inst to 'judge baby i'm back) the other week and that sounded pretty good, dead loud.All time favs are BARI TRACK ,Thumb a ride( those wigan handclaps , awesome) and Third time around ' soon everythings gonna be alright' flip.. keep em coming .Pete

Ah thats a good 'un :lol: used to be one or two that had vocal and instrumental on t'other side. Remember Brenda and the tabulations ---A love you can depend on and its instrumental ?

Social source share

Ah thats a good 'un :lol: used to be one or two that had vocal and instrumental on t'other side. Remember Brenda and the tabulations ---A love you can depend on and its instrumental ?

Wasn't the instrumental a separate record, i.e not on the B side?

Brian B

Social source share

Wasn't the instrumental a separate record, i.e not on the B side?

Brian B

You are probably right :lol: I'll retract that. :lol: Was brenda and tabs on a red label wannit? Yes thinking back you are right!

Try this one for seperate intrumental record to a vocal. Just come to mind. Lady Lady lady--Producers. Now that knocked a few windows out in its heyday :lol:

Dee Dee sharpe surfaced a little later didn't it?

Social source share

great track always loved it Pete, other fave instrumentals:-

harley hatcher - soul hustler

frank foster - harlem rumble

harry betts - fantastic plasticmachine - now wasnt that c/up as the san remo orch - jealousy?

Yep, I remember the first time it was uncovered after being called Jealousy for months, nobody could believe it's real title!

Social source share

When I was recording it, Mick Smith phoned up and this was on in the background and he said what's that, an instrumental version of Ten Miles High? In parts, it sounds just like it!

must have passed me by that one pete never heard of it

Social source share

A good question , Young Bratmeister ........

A rousing instrumental was , as we all know , always a staple - and essential - part of the / our musical diet , but as to why it has dramatically fallen from grace , and been generally shunned by the scene , is a mystery ........

One of the possible reasons for this absence of this medium , could be the simple fact that there are not enough quality ones to warrant creditable playing , therefore condemming it to the wilderness .......

Alternately , the none playing of instrumentals in dancehalls could have been dictated by the Soul Police , as a result of their finally realising after all these years , that Simon Saucepan's cobbled together abortions were s**t and not the classics they assumed they were , have decreed a strict " out of bounds " policy in order to protect our future well being , stating that under no circumstances will an instrumental will be played , for fear that it may be another " On The Road To Ruin " .........

Malc Burton

shocking english

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

There's a great story about Witchunt, when a certain well known face bought it at Yate covered up (sorry P!) :lol: . Al Davison or Hippo may fill in the gaps.

Incidentally, Bari Track for me.

Disco Connection, sounded great. I haven't heard it for years and it went down really well. Nice one!

Social source share

As old instrumentals go..........Fickle Finger of Fate Bernard 'pretty' Purdie before the pretty bit was added. I've often pondered if this had something to do with Rowan & Martins laugh in's Fickle Finger of Fate award ? Very Interesting

======

love that one mate

steve whittle used to spin it in the 80s

Social source share

Geary Street - Bill Purcel - Dot (popular spin for me in Stockport in early 80's).been after one of these for a while - is it any good?

Astral Trip - Mystic Moods - Warner Brothers (I had quite a soft spot for this again beutiful production)

one of my top 10 oldies of all time - this was brill at wigan!

Hi Mark,

Hows things mate ?, Geary Street - Bill Purcel is in my opinion a brilliant instrumental, I may have a spare copy if your interested, to be certain I would have to check which I could do over the weekend.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Mark,

Hows things mate ?, Geary Street - Bill Purcel is in my opinion a brilliant instrumental, I may have a spare copy if your interested, to be certain I would have to check which I could do over the weekend.

Regards

Alan

=========

hello alan

yes im fine mate...yes would be interested mate in 45...no rush but when u can bud!

regards

mark

Social source share

I started with my spot at the Volks, Brighton the other week with Robert Walker and the Soul Strings / stick to me. Its still a great record and should be played more often , also through in the Bari Trackin in the set, why not! two great inst.

Edited by tim smithers
Social source share

Anyone remember Tears of a clown inst from the Detroit Sound buget album on Contour. Early Wigan spin .

and leading on from that Les McCanns River deep mountain high on Atlantic also available on a budget album.

Come to think of it round the age of 17 my collection was made up of quite a few Budget albums MFP's etc.

some of the Great tracks gleaned from them were.

My love is your love Isleys

Helpless Four Tops

Under my Thumb Del Shannon (plus you got Runaway as well)

I want my baby back Stevie Wonder

Hit and Run Contours (before the reissue plus Its Growing)

Music for Pleasure Food for thought

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Anyone remember Tears of a clown inst from the Detroit Sound buget album on Contour. Early Wigan spin .

and leading on from that Les McCanns River deep mountain high on Atlantic also available on a budget album.

Come to think of it round the age of 17 my collection was made up of quite a few Budget albums MFP's etc.

Helpless Four Tops

John

I bought a Smokey Robinson MFP album that was never off my turntable in the following 6 months.

I must have played the track - You Only Build Me Up To tear Me Down - a thousand times.

Social source share

Helpless Four Tops

John

Yea still got more of the above. We also played inst of Band of Gold by Cloud 9 Strings from budget LP.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Put Cochise on the other day, still sounds good to me.

this has to be a joke.......this has never sounded good

Social source share

Helpless Four Tops

John

I bought the Contour album in the 70t's only sold it 4 years ago, we used to play the the Tears inst locally

Social source share

Few more that were biggies and I still love them!

K-Jee - The Nitelighters

Devils Drive - Big Boris (huge once upon a time)

Sidra's Theme - Ronnie & Robin

Help Me - Al Wilson

I'll Let it be You Babe - Louise Lewis (vocal was awful IMO)

Cool Jerk 69 - The Capitols (instrumental of Cool Jerk)

Edited by jim g
Social source share

TSU TORNADOES- "Getting the corners" epic instrumental.

ditto that ...often play this but am guilty of not playing many more instrumentals even though i love them....maybe most fall into the overplayed top 500 slot ! wink.gif .....no one mentioned 'last night'...or is it a nostalgic scooterist thing that makes me still like the bottom theme and dont think its BOLLOX ! :D ...

love soul finger ,righteous bros band version of green onions with that BIG BRASS sound.....classical gas/mason williams(probabaly cos my dad had spanish relatives and i played his flamenco records as a kid !)

but some instrumentals are just backing tracks in reality...there is a difference

Social source share

I started with my spot at the Volks, Brighton the other week with Robert Walker and the Soul Strings / stick to me. Its still a great record and should be played more often

Agreed - always had a soft spot for this...and Innocent Bystanders "Frantic Escape" - everything but the kitchen sink in there! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert